Rank the Roster 2021: #27

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the two next best players on the Packers?

Poll ended at 24 Jun 2021 10:50

Jace Sternberger
3%
Chandon Sullivan
28%
Devin Funchess
3%
Kamal Martin
15%
Lucas Patrick
15%
Tyler Lancaster
No votes
Josiah Deguara
15%
Marcedes Lewis
15%
Royce Newman
5%
Ty Summers
No votes
Yosh Nijman
No votes
Jake Hanson
No votes
Equanimeous St. Brown
No votes
Will Redmond
No votes
TJ Slaton
No votes
Shemar Jean-Charles
3%
Cole Van Lanen
No votes

Total votes: 40

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
24 Jun 2021 10:23
NCF wrote:
24 Jun 2021 09:56
go pak go wrote:
24 Jun 2021 09:39

Martin is the shiny toy and people read some tweets last August that they liked.

I got excited about Martin too. Until I saw him actually play and realized he is a more out of control Summers.
That can be harnessed, though. I'll take a guy who screws up 100 MPH versus one who looks tentative every time. One thing about Martin, though, is he is physical. Let's not brush off Summers inability to finish as some small flaw... it's the number 1 job he has and he sucks at it.
Martin sucks worse at finishing than Summers because at least Summers is there (Martin instead blew up the wrong hole). The reason there is hope for Martin is Martin is more physical and packs a harder punch.

That's really the only difference I see between the two. Which I agree is a big difference. But Martin cannot put on tape what he did last year.
What you say may be true but Martin is heading into year two. Summers was already in year two last year. I agree Martin must improve this year, but I see no reason why he shouldnt be expected to. I would say the potential we saw from Martin as just a rookie leap frogs what we saw from Ty in year one and two. I feel like we know what Ty is, Martin could still be special.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Jun 2021 10:39
What you say may be true but Martin is heading into year two. Summers was already in year two last year. I agree Martin must improve this year, but I see no reason why he shouldnt be expected to. I would say the potential we saw from Martin as just a rookie leap frogs what we saw from Ty in year one and two. I feel like we know what Ty is, Martin could still be special.
I disagree so hard with this. Why on earth is a part-time player who came out of school raw be a known product after two years? Especially when his name was all over the news reports as a key communicator and constant on-field communicator. Especially when our new DC is a bit of a LB whisperer. He's a guy who struggles to tackle. Martin is a guy who struggles to make contact because he overruns or hits the wrong hole. They both fly around the field and have yet to show they make the play, but this talk is like Summers is soft. He's not. He just misses tackles. I don't see why one thing is more correctable than another.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Jun 2021 10:49
Drj820 wrote:
24 Jun 2021 10:39
I disagree so hard with this. Why on earth is a part-time player who came out of school raw be a known product after two years? Especially when his name was all over the news reports as a key communicator and constant on-field communicator. Especially when our new DC is a bit of a LB whisperer. He's a guy who struggles to tackle. Martin is a guy who struggles to make contact because he overruns or hits the wrong hole. They both fly around the field and have yet to show they make the play, but this talk is like Summers is soft. He's not. He just misses tackles. I don't see why one thing is more correctable than another.
He’s been playing football his whole life and he can’t tackle. You are underestimating how bad of a trait that is for an inside linebacker in my opinion. Guys that can’t tackle, can’t stay on the field.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Jun 2021 09:57
and Summers clearly was ahead of Martin in the offseason work this year.

It’s just weird that anyone considers Martin basically a starter. As it stands, Barnes in LB1 and Summers is ahead of Martin at LB2 and we just signed a free agent.
Ahead, but I wouldn't say "clearly" yet. Summers has been here longer than any LB not named Burks, so I am skeptical that he got the green dot by virtue of anything more than default/being the next guy in line.

And reports out of OTAs also indicate that Martin has picked up where he left off last time, which to me can make a world of difference if he gets to carry that momentum into preseason, progress, and then continue building on that with each subsequent practice/game.

That said, Campbell may be the more likely LB2 than either of them, especially since he seems to specialize at what Barnes isn't good at yet (coverage).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

pure homer
Reactions:

Post by pure homer »

I think Devondre Campbell is a strong bet to outshine pretty much everybody on that list.

The one on the list I would have voted for if I had seen the poll in time is T.J. Slaton, who I see as exactly what we need in the D Line.
What could be more Good and Normal than Packer Football?