Vaccinations and 2021 NFL season (no politics)

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

salmar80 wrote:
25 Jun 2021 08:39
Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Jun 2021 08:25
Hmmm, Florio did have an interesting insight. Aaron could COVID opt out the 2021 season.
That would be such a dick move, even Yoop might have trouble spinning it into someone else's fault...
Yeah the only reason why I could even see this being a remote possibility is that it seems like Rodgers suddenly doesn't seem to care that people think he's an asshole.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Hmmm, Florio did have an interesting insight. Aaron could COVID opt out the 2021 season.
That.... could actually help us.

Instead thinking we could trade him next year, after the dead money has worn off more being more palatable, we could just account for that in different ways now. And the traded to team would probably like the extra year of control they would be taking on, either to have or for negotiating reasons.

Thinking along the lines of maybe extending Adams or Jaire, or both, with a nice big cap hit this year or something.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
25 Jun 2021 08:55
Pckfn23 wrote:

Instead thinking we could trade him next year, after the dead money has worn off more being more palatable, we could just account for that in different ways now. And the traded to team would probably like the extra year of control they would be taking on, either to have or for negotiating reasons.

Thinking along the lines of maybe extending Adams or Jaire, or both, with a nice big cap hit this year or something.
I mean it may be better than him just not showing up in terms of finding a trade partner...but we would still get less money back for him this year and he still wouldnt be helping the 2021 packers. 2 pretty major negatives.

I see your point that there could always be a silver lining, im just not sure the trade value is really affected that much. Rodgers is getting old and he is expensive, he is also great. But there probably will only be about 3 or 4 teams who can really put offers in that will compete to get him. I think those offers will reach a level where the extra year of control wont sweeten the deal too much. The new team will be restructuring his deal anyways i am sure.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Can you opt back in at any time?

Seems like the smart play to opt out for COVID if you can.

If Gute and Murphy are going to play hard ball on not moving him then it seems the best move for Rodgers

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
25 Jun 2021 09:04

If Gute and Murphy are going to play hard ball on not moving him then it seems the best move for Rodgers
No, once you opt out there is no coming back for that season.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Jun 2021 09:03
BF004 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

I mean it may be better than him just not showing up in terms of finding a trade partner...but we would still get less money back for him this year and he still wouldnt be helping the 2021 packers. 2 pretty major negatives.

I see your point that there could always be a silver lining, im just not sure the trade value is really affected that much. Rodgers is getting old and he is expensive, he is also great. But there probably will only be about 3 or 4 teams who can really put offers in that will compete to get him. I think those offers will reach a level where the extra year of control wont sweeten the deal too much. The new team will be restructuring his deal anyways i am sure.
Who cares about the money we would be getting back this year? The Packers know their long term hit they have to have for Rodgers. Regardless, we have roughly $39 million in cap liability we have to expense at some point. We need to expense the remaining $38 Million signing bonus of Rodgers regardless so whether that hit comes in 2021, 2022 or 2023 it don't matter really. So any signing bonus money we expense in 2021 means we don't have expense after 2021.

The only thing I think could be argued is "less money for Adams resign" but even that could get easily negotiated to defer into 2022 which we would theoretically have less cap hit in 2022.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
25 Jun 2021 09:12
Drj820 wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Who cares about the money we would be getting back this year? The Packers know their long term hit they have to have for Rodgers. Regardless, we have roughly $39 million in cap liability we have to expense at some point. We need to expense the remaining $38 Million signing bonus of Rodgers regardless so whether that hit comes in 2021, 2022 or 2023 it don't matter really. So any signing bonus money we expense in 2021 means we don't have expense after 2021.

The only thing I think could be argued is "less money for Adams resign" but even that could get easily negotiated to defer into 2022 which we would theoretically have less cap hit in 2022.
are you saying a player could sign a brand new deal with a 20m signing bonus, immedietely after signing the deal inform the team he has tricked them and he will be sitting out each year, and the team will still have to have that 20m on their books through the life of deal?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

bud fox wrote:
25 Jun 2021 09:04

At least last year, it was final, couldn't reverse the decision.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I don't really know the opt out rules well but I wonder if the NFL could step in and say "you're vaccinated, there's no reason for you to opt out".

This is if Rodgers is fully vaccinated. I assume he probably is.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Acrobat wrote:
25 Jun 2021 09:32
I don't really know the opt out rules well but I wonder if the NFL could step in and say "you're vaccinated, there's no reason for you to opt out".

I was about to post something similar.

I wonder if those vaccinated are still eligible for the opt out? And is Rodgers among that crowd?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

That's the thing about this scenario, and why I say Rodgers has so little leverage.

Every option he has helps the team, also. If he plays, it helps the team tremendously on the field

If he holds out/sits out, it helps the team tremendously on the 2022 cap, as we get a credit for all the games he missed (and we still own his rights)

If he retires, we clear out all of his dead money as he voids his un-earned remaining bonus and clears his cap number immediately for 2021 (and we still own his rights)

If he COVID opts out, we clear his 2021 cap number, and we still own his rights.

And this isn't Rodgers' thing, but If we trade him, it helps on the field in 2022-23 when we get the returns, and on the cap some this year and some next year.

As FANS, we value the on-field assistance a lot more than the cap assistance. We're not going out there rooting for dollars and cents and cheering on a livestream of budget meetings and salary renegotiations. But as a team, both things matter. And the Rodgers situation doesn't give him a lot of options to stick it to us that don't also inadvertently help us.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

APB wrote:
25 Jun 2021 09:36
Acrobat wrote:

I wonder if those vaccinated are still eligible for the opt out? And is Rodgers among that crowd?
It would be funny if Rodgers tried to pull that BS and the NFL said "no".

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Acrobat wrote:
25 Jun 2021 09:50
APB wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Im not sure the NFL has the legal authority to know for sure if he is vaccinated or not. I could see the vaccine list and rules being purely voluntary to submit to the league, and then once you submit your information then you can do the things the vaccine confirmed people can do. Theoretically there could be some vaccinated people who see their health choices as their business and they remain on the unvaccinated list purely because they did not want to submit their info to their employ. I doubt the opt out rules have clauses for vaccinated or unvaccinated because I doubt the league can force its way into knowing.

Also, doesnt Rodgers seem kind of like the kind of guy who may not want the vaccine? I could see so many people pushing for it, that he wants to be the smartest guy in the room and contrarian and that pushes him the other way on the issue. I honestly think its like 50/50 for what camp he is in ha. I could see him being a follower of the Joe Rogan, Eric and Brett Weinstein schools of thought...which by the way I totally respect, just saying i could see him plotting a different path than the mainline thought on the jab and covid in general.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Jun 2021 10:13
Acrobat wrote:
APB wrote:

Im not sure the NFL has the legal authority to know for sure if he is vaccinated or not. I could see the vaccine list and rules being purely voluntary to submit to the league, and then once you submit your information then you can do the things the vaccine confirmed people can do. Theoretically there could be some vaccinated people who see their health choices as their business and they remain on the unvaccinated list purely because they did not want to submit their info to their employ. I doubt the opt out rules have clauses for vaccinated or unvaccinated because I doubt the league can force its way into knowing.

Also, doesnt Rodgers seem kind of like the kind of guy who may not want the vaccine? I could see so many people pushing for it, that he wants to be the smartest guy in the room and contrarian and that pushes him the other way on the issue. I honestly think its like 50/50 for what camp he is in ha. I could see him being a follower of the Joe Rogan, Eric and Brett Weinstein schools of thought...which by the way I totally respect, just saying i could see him plotting a different path than the mainline thought on the jab and covid in general.
Not to get in the vaccine conversation but Rodgers does seem smart enough to where he would have probably done thorough research on the issue. That's why I think he would have gotten the vaccine. But don't want the convo to go down that rabbit hole.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Acrobat wrote:
25 Jun 2021 10:25
Drj820 wrote:
25 Jun 2021 10:13
Acrobat wrote:

Not to get in the vaccine conversation but Rodgers does seem smart enough to where he would have probably done thorough research on the issue. That's why I think he would have gotten the vaccine. But don't want the convo to go down that rabbit hole.
Who knows. Many smart people in both camps. I wasnt going down that rabbit hole either, just pointing out that I could see him being someone who does not do what everyone would assume in this case.

But my bigger point is i dont think vaccine status can affect opt out status bc i dont think the league can legally know. I think that information has to be voluntarily submitted to the league, or the player is just treated as if they are not vaxxed.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Jun 2021 10:32
But my bigger point is i dont think vaccine status can affect opt out status bc i dont think the league can legally know. I think that information has to be voluntarily submitted to the league, or the player is just treated as if they are not vaxxed.
But they have different protocols for vaxxed and unvaxxed people. And the teams have different protocols for reaching certain vaccination percentages. So I think they DO report it, and that it was agreed upon by the negotiations with the union, which is why it's different than other employers.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Jun 2021 09:16
go pak go wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

are you saying a player could sign a brand new deal with a 20m signing bonus, immedietely after signing the deal inform the team he has tricked them and he will be sitting out each year, and the team will still have to have that 20m on their books through the life of deal?
Funchess did it except it wasn’t worth 20mil.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Jun 2021 10:44
Drj820 wrote:
25 Jun 2021 10:32
But they have different protocols for vaxxed and unvaxxed people. And the teams have different protocols for reaching certain vaccination percentages. So I think they DO report it, and that it was agreed upon by the negotiations with the union, which is why it's different than other employers.
I could be wrong of course but I imagine that even if you are vaxxed if you dont submit to the league that you are then you are just considered unvaxxed in terms of the protocols. Thats how it is at my work at least.

But yes, the union could have a special deal.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

According to Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network, players have until 4 p.m. ET on Friday, July 2 to inform their teams if they plan to opt out of the 2021 season. Players who are deemed high risk for COVID are entitled to a $350,000 stipend, which is what they saw a year ago. Voluntary opt-outs, however, will not receive a stipend contrary to the $150,000 they received last year.

Meanwhile, only players who executed their contracts prior to Oct. 1 of last year are eligible to take a voluntary opt-out, meaning rookies are ineligible. A rookie that is deemed to be high risk may still opt out and the club will simply continue to hold his rights.

Pelissero adds that a memo was sent out to teams on Wednesday that highlighted an agreement between the league and the NFLPA that creates more benefits for vaccinated players. That includes fully vaccinated players being allowed to collect a per-game roster bonus even if they miss a game due to a "breakthrough case."

doesn't sound like it matters whether your vaccinated or not.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... er-report/

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Jun 2021 10:46
Drj820 wrote:
25 Jun 2021 09:16
go pak go wrote:

Funchess did it except it wasn’t worth 20mil.
Yes. I believe they can. As Lupe stated, this is what happened with Funchess. He got his signing bonus regardless because it was a signing bonus.

The $38 million we owe Aaron is because it is already cash we have given to him but have not expensed on our books.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.