Vaccinations and 2021 NFL season (no politics)

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

If that loophole is really open... and it seems like it really might be, I just cannot see Rodgers playing that card. It would be the ultimate cry baby, bush league thing to do ever. He'd be Packers enemy number 1 and I can't imagine would have many supporters in the public, in general.

Read More. Post Less.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

NCF wrote:
25 Jun 2021 11:57
If that loophole is really open... and it seems like it really might be, I just cannot see Rodgers playing that card. It would be the ultimate cry baby, bush league thing to do ever. He'd be Packers enemy number 1 and I can't imagine would have many supporters in the public, in general.
Pretty much my opinion as well. The only thing that would worry me slightly is that it kind of seems like he's getting a rise out of being the heel, but I still don't think he'd stoop that low.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

If the fo wont pony up with guaranteeing him the rest if the contract years they gave him, sitting out protects himself against a injury and his future trade value to another team, in a way it protects both party's.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

With more pertinent NFL news and conversation emerging from the COVID/vaccination topic, the Mod Team has decided to give this thread another run.

I think it is apparent most of us know where each other stands on a political/personal level. Let’s try and leave those thoughts and emotions on the sideline and focus conversation on the NFL and it’s impact on players and the upcoming season.

I will make an attempt to transfer recent conversation related to this topic from other threads here so don’t be thrown off if things get a little confusing. In the mean time, I’ll start off new conversation with this tweet from Schefter:

Whatever your personal stance, I think we can all agree this is good news for the league as it moves toward a new season.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

As far as potential impact on the league and the upcoming season, I know of three players who have been somewhat outspoken on their unwillingness to get the vaccine: Cole Beasley, Josh Allen, and Joe Mixon. Those are three notable name recognition players but far from a “movement” in terms of league impact.

Have there been others I haven’t read about?

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

My personal stance is everybody who can get the shot should get the shot. Mutations of covid are always coming down the line, the best way to fight them to not let them get started. Less hosts mean less chances for mutations.

NFL teams have always controlled their players. The nights before home games teams stay at hotels for that control. You've got 17 games to get a real shot at the Lombardi. Each game is huge and having guys out with something that can be controlled diminishes your chances to get there. Some team will most likely lose a position group before a game. They are going to manipulate guys who don't get the shot. There is peer pressure and the nuisence factor that will get some guys to take the shot. This has always been a part of the NFL and society. If you want to be a rebel be a rebel but you are going to pay a certain price. If putting on a mask or taking shot is too much, say goodbye to the big checks and work the loading dock. There are plenty of guys who want the fame and fortune that comes with the job.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

What actually happened with Josh Allen?

The Buffalo Bills’ quarterback was asked about vaccination in April on the “10 questions with Kyle Brandt” podcast. Allen said that he was still thinking about it. “I’m a big statistics and logical guy,” he said. “So if statistics show it’s the right thing for me to do, I’d do it. Again, I’d go lean the other way, too, if that’s what it said.”

Allen acknowledged that he hadn’t “been paying attention to it as much as maybe I should have. I’ve just been doing my thing and masking up when I’m going out and just staying close and hanging around family.”

How much does it matter if Allen – or any individual football player – gets vaccinated?

From a purely scientific standpoint, no more than it matters if it's you or your neighbor.

In fact, your neighbor’s decision is more consequential in your life. You’re not likely to meet Allen and breathe the same air he exhales into. But if you get together with neighbors to watch a game, their vaccination status has a far bigger potential impact on you and your family than that of the players on TV.

We easily forget that.

“We humans are very bad at measuring risk,” said Dr. René F. Najera, an epidemiologist who is the editor of the online History of Vaccines project at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. “Your risk of any kind of infectious disease depends more on what your circle of friends and the people you interact with day to day do than what a celebrity does.

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/pand ... b6dad.html

thing is unless a person lives in a shell, avoids all contact, how can he possibly avoid so many others who refuse to be vaccinated, the more people he comes into contact that wont vaccinate the higher the risk he'll get it and give it to another team mate that wont vaccinate, makes no sense not to get the shot.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

From a neighbor standpoint, if you're vaccinated then what is the problem if they are or not? You're protected. Gather 'round the television on gameday and have at it. From what I gather, the vaccine is now available to pretty much anybody who wants it so if you're not vaccinated but are leery of gathering around friends and neighbors, that's on you.

Now, if you're one of those folks who cannot take the vaccine due to medical complications or whatever, then I suppose you'll have to make accommodations for your specific condition just like anybody else with any sort of particular affliction. If that means finding new friends and neighbors who are vaccinated, so be it.

From a football standpoint, though, I don't think the dire scenarios being dwelled upon are necessarily fair. There are what, 55 players on the weekly roster with an additional 8 on the PS? Something like that, close enough anyway. If 65% are already vaccinated that leaves around 23 or so players non-vaccinated. The chances of entire position groups being wiped out in a given week or games being cancelled due to roster shortages due to positive infections are pretty remote.

How many times did it happen last year when 100% of rosters were non-vaccinated? The league is around 65% vaccinated now and most assuredly that number will continue to grow. The hysteria of these few players doesn't seem to justify the hoopla being stirred in the media.

pure homer
Reactions:

Post by pure homer »

I misread it at first as "vacations", and I was wondering what could possibly be political about that hahahaha.

The biggest problem with the vaccine(s) as I see it, is that just about everybody gets at least a little bit sick from it, and a few people, mostly old ones, actually die from it. What if Belichick or McCarthy or Carroll or a locker room attendant or some other fairly old guy gets his shot because he really doesn't have much choice, and doesn't survive it or at least needs to be hospitalized?
What could be more Good and Normal than Packer Football?

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

But we are talking about a entity made from thirty-two, individual, billion dollar components that do whatever it takes to minimize risk. That's why coaches never leave the facilty some nights. If you lose an Allen you've lost a position group. Losing him for the wrong two games might cost these guys eyes on screens. That might cost them TV revenue down the line. Money drives the show. While the risks are a lot lower they aren't as low as the NFL would want them to be. I doubt they are going to move games this year. So they are going to push these guys as much as the CBA allows.

The choice is, help us minimize our risks or be inconvenienced. But it is a choice.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

pure homer wrote:
26 Jun 2021 12:48
I misread it at first as "vacations", and I was wondering what could possibly be political about that hahahaha.

The biggest problem with the vaccine(s) as I see it, is that just about everybody gets at least a little bit sick from it, and a few people, mostly old ones, actually die from it. What if Belichick or McCarthy or Carroll or a locker room attendant or some other fairly old guy gets his shot because he really doesn't have much choice, and doesn't survive it or at least needs to be hospitalized?
Fortunately that is an immune response and not truly "sick," as from a virus or bacteria. Death from the vaccine is very very rare, as in 3 total in over 300 million doses. It had to do with blood clots and not liked to age. Those old guys would have a much harder time with the virus itself than the vaccine. There are definitely immuno compromised people that shouldn't be vaccinated. It would be for their benefit that everyone else is vaccinated. Then we can all get on back to full fields and full stands! As a business it is in the NFLs best interest.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

One of the problems with my unvaccinated neighbor dying of Covid is that, well, he's my neighbor. He's generally a decent guy. Yours probably is too.

Another is that once he gets it, he is far more likely to spread it. 95% effective is just that.

A third is that the longer this goes on, the more variants arise, including some that may not be hindered by the vaccines available.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

pure homer wrote:

It's virtually certain that this will happen to someone. They reckon in the UK that mass vaccination has saved about 25,000 lives in the last couple of months, but it is also known that 9 people have died who would (probably) not have died if they hadn't taken the vaccine. For those 9, they would have been better off without.

Though of course they didn't know that. In fact, for a youngish individual, the best option is probably that he doesn't have the vaccine but everyone else does. That way he gets herd immunity without the vaccine risk. The problem comes when too many people follow that strategy.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Vaccines
How many people have died from the vaccine in the U.S.?
Emily Smith, ScD MPH
Published: June 14, 2021
Emily Smith, ScD MPH
Updated June 14, 2021

Over 309 million vaccine doses were given in the US as of June 7, 2021. The vaccines have been proven to be safe and effective. Vaccination is happening under the most intensive safety monitoring in U.S. history.

How do we know if someone dies after getting a vaccine?

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires vaccination providers to report any death after COVID-19 vaccination to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). When these reports are received, doctors from CDC and FDA review death certificates, autopsies, and medical records to understand what happened with each person.

How many people have died after getting a vaccine?

Between December 2020 and June 7th, 2021, VAERS received 5,208 reports of death (0.0017%) among people who got a vaccine. Doctors and safety monitors carefully review the details of each case to see if it might be linked to the vaccine. There are three deaths that appear to be linked to blood clots that occurred after people got the J&J vaccine. Since we now know how to correctly treat people who develop these blood clots, future deaths related to this very rare side effect can be prevented. By way of comparison, getting COVID-19 while unvaccinated poses a grave risk; as of June 14, 2021 more than 599,000 deaths have been attributed to the virus in the US alone.

After careful review of the additional data, doctors have decided that there is no evidence at all that the vaccines contributed to the other patient deaths. Nonetheless, the CDC and FDA will continue to investigate every single report of death (and other adverse events) reported to VAERS.

Originally posted: April 8, 2021, 8:22 pm

Last updated: June 14, 2021, 9:09 pm

https://covid-101.org/science/how-many- ... n-the-u-s/

covid vaccine death rate, 3, covid 19 death rate, 600, 000, and climbing.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
26 Jun 2021 14:14
One of the problems with my unvaccinated neighbor dying of Covid is that, well, he's my neighbor. He's generally a decent guy. Yours probably is too.

Another is that once he gets it, he is far more likely to spread it. 95% effective is just that.

A third is that the longer this goes on, the more variants arise, including some that may not be hindered by the vaccines available.
I have news for you, this isn't ever going away. The NFL and everyone else needs to understand that. It will mutate over the months and years from now we will be talking about the 321st mutation of COVID-19. Just like the flu.

The fear of entire teams or squads being shut down by covid is just fear-mongering at this point. Last year I would have said maybe, this year it's just BS. If a team is 85% vaccinated then 85% of the team should have no worries. After all, it's 95% effective, right? The only ones that should worry are those unvaccinated.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Yoop wrote:
26 Jun 2021 19:13
Vaccines
How many people have died from the vaccine in the U.S.?
Emily Smith, ScD MPH
Published: June 14, 2021
Emily Smith, ScD MPH
Updated June 14, 2021

Over 309 million vaccine doses were given in the US as of June 7, 2021. The vaccines have been proven to be safe and effective. Vaccination is happening under the most intensive safety monitoring in U.S. history.

How do we know if someone dies after getting a vaccine?

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires vaccination providers to report any death after COVID-19 vaccination to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). When these reports are received, doctors from CDC and FDA review death certificates, autopsies, and medical records to understand what happened with each person.

How many people have died after getting a vaccine?

Between December 2020 and June 7th, 2021, VAERS received 5,208 reports of death (0.0017%) among people who got a vaccine. Doctors and safety monitors carefully review the details of each case to see if it might be linked to the vaccine. There are three deaths that appear to be linked to blood clots that occurred after people got the J&J vaccine. Since we now know how to correctly treat people who develop these blood clots, future deaths related to this very rare side effect can be prevented. By way of comparison, getting COVID-19 while unvaccinated poses a grave risk; as of June 14, 2021 more than 599,000 deaths have been attributed to the virus in the US alone.

After careful review of the additional data, doctors have decided that there is no evidence at all that the vaccines contributed to the other patient deaths. Nonetheless, the CDC and FDA will continue to investigate every single report of death (and other adverse events) reported to VAERS.

Originally posted: April 8, 2021, 8:22 pm

Last updated: June 14, 2021, 9:09 pm

https://covid-101.org/science/how-many- ... n-the-u-s/

covid vaccine death rate, 3, covid 19 death rate, 600, 000, and climbing.
Not one will be attributed to the vaccines. Mark my words. Not like people could sue the makers anyway.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

pure homer wrote:

This is a good point. There are over 5000 deaths linked to the jab in the US that have been reported, most are over 60 years old (but some as young as infants). In the EU it is over 15000 reported. What if a coach dies from it, or developed Guillain Barre syndrome like many people have? And like you said, took it because of coercion or a mandate from their employer (NFL)?

Spain and one other country (Brazil? Can't exactly remember) are telling people who got the jab not to fly because of blood clotting, including in some pilots during flight. All teams travel by air, players travel by air to get to and from team activities.

A big part of the issue around the jab is lack of information on the risks. Censorship of the known risks, and the unknown unknowns that we might not know about for years. After months of denying the problem the CDC, under immense pressure, is finally admitting a link between the jab and myocarditis in young (teens and 20s - most NFL players are this age) people and are going to have the link included in the official warning paperwork. The problem finally became too big for them to sweep under the rug and ignore. So those trusting the CDC are putting a lot of faith in an entity that has not earned it.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

When was the last time the NLF mandated the Flu vaccine? After all, the flu takes out players every year and is contagious as well.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Raptorman wrote: I have news for you, this isn't ever going away. The NFL and everyone else needs to understand that. It will mutate over the months and years from now we will be talking about the 321st mutation of COVID-19. Just like the flu.
I have not heard this mentioned at all anywhere, but I hypothesize the vaccines will cause more and more mutations over time. People can still get the actual virus (bacteria?) if vaccinated. People are creating and emitting spike proteins for months, maybe forever (we don't know). I think these could cause more and more variants, and more deadly or contagious ones, to develop. Just as the actual virus is weakening, as is expected (epidemiology 101). Maybe a new one(s) could develop in an NFL locker room?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
26 Jun 2021 21:01
This is a good point. There are over 5000 deaths linked to the jab in the US that have been reported, most are over 60 years old (but some as young as infants). In the EU it is over 15000 reported.
do you have reputable proof of this?

cause I looked, and just brought evidence to the contrary.