Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
26 Jun 2021 18:58

whats likely is that Rodgers new one maybe two WR's would be cut, he liked Kumerow over others he felt where also on the block, and without a conference with Rodgers Guty cut him, doesn't matter what Kumerow did after leaving, he was still doing better then the guy that replaced him.

any boss that doesn't listen to input from his workers losses out on valuable intel that could help making his decision making easier and more accurate, and if your HOF QB likes this bubble WR over another why not just give him that player, Guty sure showed Rodgers who's boss.
Rodgers should not have been trying to prove that he rather than Gute was boss.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Packer fans (EVEN TO THIS DAY!!) grossly overrate Kumerow.

That said, he deserved a roster spot more than Shepherd, who was not released until sometime after -- and basically cost us a game along the way. Our WR corps also got a bit thin after we let go of both, though that did not end up hurting us in any real way. So yeah, Kumerow still deserved a roster spot when we let him go, but only barely. Not a good move on Gutey's part, but not one that materially hurt the team.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
26 Jun 2021 20:03

That said, he deserved a roster spot more than Shepherd, who was not released until sometime after -- and basically cost us a game along the way. Our WR corps also got a bit thin after we let go of both, though that did not end up hurting us in any real way. So yeah, Kumerow still deserved a roster spot when we let him go, but only barely. Not a good move on Gutey's part, but not one that materially hurt the team.
Yeah, kumerow sucked but shepherd was far worse. Which is hard to be.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Kumerow was an ok 4 or 5, but not great os special teams which those need to be.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:

Shep had return potential, albeit poor return potential.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Jun 2021 20:42
Labrev wrote:

They were both dog &%$@. Sheppard was far worse but still ass is ass no matter how big or small.

I don’t give a damn about Kumerow getting cut. He should’ve been. If you’re the 4 or 5 receiver and not contributing in teams you are useless in my mind.

I’m on Rodgers side but the Kumerow griping is absurd. Rodgers really needs to just come out and say he’s pissed the team drafted Love like a bunch of clown shoe wearing idiots. He’s not fooling anyone.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Rodgers has never said that any of this is about kumerow. All conjecture at the moment.

Ultimately I think its about the packers offering him an extension to be the starting QB for the packers until the end of 2023 and then they draft his replacement the first yr into his extension.

Also the team signalled with the love pick that they are now building the team of the future. I think you are building a team to win now or a team for the future. Packers signalled. They fukd up and got it all wrong on timelines.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Jun 2021 01:00
Drj820 wrote:
Labrev wrote:

They were both dog &%$@. Sheppard was far worse but still ass is ass no matter how big or small.

I don’t give a damn about Kumerow getting cut. He should’ve been. If you’re the 4 or 5 receiver and not contributing in teams you are useless in my mind.

I’m on Rodgers side but the Kumerow griping is absurd. Rodgers really needs to just come out and say he’s pissed the team drafted Love like a bunch of clown shoe wearing idiots. He’s not fooling anyone.
If Rodgers had wanted Kumerow, he should have gone quietly to Gute a week or 2 before cutdown day and asked. But that is not what he did because it was never about Kumerow, it was about hurting Gute in the eyes of fans that root for an under-dog like Kumerow. It was and has always has been about Love. It was and always has been about getting Love traded and Gute fired and Murphy retired and Rodgers doing what John Elway did.

It was and always has been 100% about Aaron Rodgers and the hell with the fans and the team.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Jun 2021 07:46
lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Jun 2021 01:00
Drj820 wrote:

If Rodgers had wanted Kumerow, he should have gone quietly to Gute a week or 2 before cutdown day and asked. But that is not what he did because it was never about Kumerow, it was about hurting Gute in the eyes of fans that root for an under-dog like Kumerow. It was and has always has been about Love. It was and always has been about getting Love traded and Gute fired and Murphy retired and Rodgers doing what John Elway did.

It was and always has been 100% about Aaron Rodgers and the hell with the fans and the team.
Packers management did Rodgers wrong first. I have no problem in understanding a man that has to stand up for himself. Especially someone who has done so much for me as a packers fan in terms of football enjoyment.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
27 Jun 2021 05:12
Rodgers has never said that any of this is about kumerow. All conjecture at the moment.

Ultimately I think its about the packers offering him an extension to be the starting QB for the packers until the end of 2023 and then they draft his replacement the first yr into his extension.

Also the team signalled with the love pick that they are now building the team of the future. I think you are building a team to win now or a team for the future. Packers signalled. They fukd up and got it all wrong on timelines.
Rodgers hasn't said sh*t about sh*t. The only thing we are getting is small blurps from his friend John Kuhn and James Jones which only talked about Rodgers bein sad his favorite teammates got cut and then Rodgers spending 30 seconds saying about how it's the people that make an organization go.

That's all we got. So everything else is made up stuff from fans who have no idea what they are talking about and using it as an opportunity to bring up 7 year old grievances.
Last edited by go pak go on 27 Jun 2021 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

bud fox wrote:

Everything you just stated is “all conjecture at the moment.”

If what you “think” is truly his problem - the drafting of Love - is actually his main gripe, then Rodgers is a straight up coward and I question his manhood. Some competition at every position never hurt anyone and from a logical perspective it made sense: Rodgers has a history of missing games due to injury - why not try and win more of those games?

So planning for all possible scenarios in the future is how the Packers “f-cked up.” The amount of mental gymnastics the Rodgers bootlickers do to arrive at their made up opinions is very impressive! Completely delusional - but an impressive blind leap of faith.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Gunzaan wrote:
27 Jun 2021 10:37
bud fox wrote:

If what you “think” is truly his problem - the drafting of Love - is actually his main gripe, then Rodgers is a straight up coward and I question his manhood. Some competition at every position never hurt anyone and from a logical perspective it made sense: Rodgers has a history of missing games due to injury - why not try and win more of those games?

So planning for all possible scenarios in the future is how the Packers “f-cked up.” The amount of mental gymnastics the Rodgers bootlickers do to arrive at their made up opinions is very impressive! Completely delusional - but an impressive blind leap of faith.
and here we go again with the name calling, and imagine that, someone like you questioning Rodgers man hood, Rodgers has a complaint with this FO, brought about by actions this front office group has made focusing on the future and less so the present didn't help Rodgers last year.

in what way is Love competition for Rodgers? only a fool would even suggest that, and if Rodgers sits out you'll learn how wrong you are.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

AR remaining cryptic and mostly silent has led to this being kind of a "choose your own adventure" exercise. You can pick every tidbit of info and every quote from anyone, and make it a story that fits your fancy.

If you're a AR superfan or a habitual front office hater, you can craft a gripping narrative of an evil and/or dumb organization doing evil/dumb schemes, and AR's heroic resistance to The Man.

If you are a diva-hater or a front office enthusiast, you can paint AR as a selfish, weird, intelligent eccentric, who cares about nothing but himself, and a team leadership that's caught in a bad spot while just trying to win SBs now and in the future.

Man, it'll be wild to look back to this thread once the truth comes out.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

salmar80 wrote:
27 Jun 2021 11:04
AR remaining cryptic and mostly silent has led to this being kind of a "choose your own adventure" exercise. You can pick every tidbit of info and every quote from anyone, and make it a story that fits your fancy.

If you're a AR superfan or a habitual front office hater, you can craft a gripping narrative of an evil and/or dumb organization doing evil/dumb schemes, and AR's heroic resistance to The Man.

If you are a diva-hater or a front office enthusiast, you can paint AR as a selfish, weird, intelligent eccentric, who cares about nothing but himself, and a team leadership that's caught in a bad spot while just trying to win SBs now and in the future.

Man, it'll be wild to look back to this thread once the truth comes out.
I don't think the truth will ever fully come out. I don't feel we ever got the full truth with the Favre situation and that's been 13 years. The one thing we do know more now about the Favre and Rodgers situation is how much Favre hated the pick and hated Rodgers at the time.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

common sense, and simply believing in events as they transpired, and not listening to made up drama points and conspiracy BS paints a fairly clear picture.

Favre held court every season with demands for almost anything we could think of with threats of retirement, rarely ever have we heard Rodgers openly complain of anything till till 017, and even that was mild and more like a hint that we needed to make changes, then when everything on offense remained status Quo he couldn't control himself any longer during the 018 season and forced the FO to fire McCarthy.

while Favre complained because Ted failed to get him a couple FA's, Rodgers complaints led to us finally getting a new HC, IMHO Rodgers deserves applause for that, instead he gets the cold shoulder from the FO.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
27 Jun 2021 12:06
common sense, and simply believing in events as they transpired, and not listening to made up drama points and conspiracy BS paints a fairly clear picture.

while Favre complained because Ted failed to get him a couple FA's, Rodgers complaints led to us finally getting a new HC, IMHO Rodgers deserves applause for that, instead he gets the cold shoulder from the FO.
I really think you need to believe what you typed in that first paragraph.

Here are the events how they actually happened.

After 2017:
Ted Thompson "retires" and Gute is placed as GM. The Packers give MM only a one year extension giving him notice, "you are on the hot seat"

2018:
This is the first time Rodgers makes any public statements regarding playcalling. The Packers stink and lose to the worst team in the league at home vs Arizona. The front office makes a move, probably a bit early and emotional but it was Murphy who fires McCarthy (not Roders).

January 2019:
The front office hires Matt Lefluer without Rodgers input that creates more "drama". What is the result? It was the best hire Rodgers could have ever hoped for proving the FO knows what they are doing. MLF turns the roster of guys into winners right away and in his 2nd season, Rodgers goes back to being the best in the league. Something that was honestly questionable if it would ever happen again.

So where you go using conjecture to make Rodgers the hero for jobs he wasn't responsible for doing and also saying the FO did nothing for Rodgers and therefore his complaints are validated....you can actually look at what actually happened.

The FO told Ted his time is done.
The FO fired McCarthy
The FO signed all the free agents and in 2019 and drafted some studs from 2018 to 2020 to set up the roster to be a winner.
The FO searched and hired MLF to be the head coach.

That is why I am at the position I am. I don't have any biases either way. But instead I have looked at the events leading up to this to make my decision. Yes the FO drafted Love. Yes that was a move I wasn't in love with at the time but 2020 also proved that the Packers were good enough even with the pick. The Love draft pick also wouldn't force anything until 2023 at the earliest anyways.

I am not surprised that this will eventually end in a break up. What I am surprised about is the timing of the breakup as Rodgers is pissing away likely two more years at a serious shot at a title who is primed to win it. For that reason I cannot understand why Rodgers is doing what he is doing and honestly why I believe he is going to show up at Camp. Because the actions the FO has actually taken do not justify the response of never playing for a team and teammates he loves ever again.

The punishment Rodgers is trying to dole out simply doesn't fit the crime.
Yoop wrote:

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Gunzaan wrote:
27 Jun 2021 10:37
bud fox wrote:

You don't draft a QB in the first round for competition. The packers started building the next team. Rodgers likely would not have signed an extension if they told him this. It was dishonest negotiations and I can understand why he doesn't want to do business with them anymore.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

bud fox wrote:
27 Jun 2021 16:37
You don't draft a QB in the first round for competition. The packers started building the next team. Rodgers likely would not have signed an extension if they told him this. It was dishonest negotiations and I can understand why he doesn't want to do business with them anymore.
I genuinely don't get this. If Rodgers is the best QB on the team, he will play. If Rodgers is only the second best QB, he will not play. This is how it always works in sport. How can Rodgers, or anyone else, possibly disagree with this?

The Packers could not tell Rodgers in August 2018 that they would be signing Love in April 2020. That's two full college seasons later. It's nonsense to accuse them of being dishonest.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

dsr wrote:
27 Jun 2021 17:49
bud fox wrote:
27 Jun 2021 16:37
I genuinely don't get this. If Rodgers is the best QB on the team, he will play. If Rodgers is only the second best QB, he will not play. This is how it always works in sport. How can Rodgers, or anyone else, possibly disagree with this?

The Packers could not tell Rodgers in August 2018 that they would be signing Love in April 2020. That's two full college seasons later. It's nonsense to accuse them of being dishonest.
That is not how it always works in sport. It is the players that have the most invested in them.

Look at the moment - both Bortles and Benkart have no way of getting ahead of Love purely because he was drafted in the first round by the packers. They aren't given any reps. Opportunity is more often than not based on the size of the investment in that person/thing than actual performance. All politics.

Also to your last point - don't sign him to an extension to be the starting QB to the end of 2023. Offer a 1 yr or a 2 year or don't offer anything. Ultimately the packers management just made a bad selfish move. Gute, La Fleur and the new group wanted and still want to build there team. Every management group wants to have there team. To do that they need a new QB. They couldn't move on that whilst Rodgers was GOAT level but after 2019 they thought he was dropping to a level where it could be substantiated in moving to that new direction. They were majorly wrong. They could have kept building with with the best QB of all time but instead jumped the gun.
Last edited by bud fox on 27 Jun 2021 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

didn't notice that the link didn't take, it's a Tyler Dunn article published at Bleacher report, if true it shows that Rodgers has been upset since 2015, I"ll bring the Goggle page the article can be found on, Bleacher report must have a pay wall.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dunn+sp ... &aqs=chrom

Rodgers was fed up with McCarthy long before it became obvious to us, I bet he was upset when McCarthy was given that one year contract, and he acted like that the whole season, rarely using called plays, and I don't think he talked to McCarthy during games at all, my impression is that it became so futile a situation Murphy stepped in and fired McCarthy

a long read, but it spells out the Rodgers and McCarthy relationship as it started to fall apart after 2015.

Many believe Rodgers, the QB with the best career passer rating (103.1) in NFL history, was 100 percent justified in overruling his coach's play calls, and that the Packers would've deteriorated more precipitously if he hadn't put that cape on. The personnel man says the Packers' passing offense was essentially "Get open" and that they basically ran the same routes for seven years straight, to the point where division rivals "constantly" called out plays pre-snap and jumped routes.

No wonder the slant route, once so lethal, went extinct.

Where were the route combinations? The motion? The misdirection? "It's like, 'Dude, you have to adjust! The league changes!'" the personnel man says. "You've got to be humble enough to follow it. If you can't adapt, you die. He definitely didn't adapt. You can't run 90 back-shoulders into coverage. I don't care who you are. Things got so stale."

Rodgers had no choice but to seize control, and each year, he took more.

That ridiculous throw to Jared Cook in the playoffs in 2017? Drawn up in the huddle. Rodgers told an uncovered guard to pull out with him, that he'd bait in a defender and dash left. "That's what you're dealing with," one former Packers coach says. "A guy who'll do that. He might screw up a play Mike called ... [but] you have to give him credit for the good, too."

Last edited by Yoop on 28 Jun 2021 14:25, edited 2 times in total.