Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

This thread is too long. We need to start another one where people can state their thoughts as they stand today. :beer2: :hide: :lol:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Jun 2021 12:40
If we are being fair and railing against the Packers for their poor communication, we gotta rail against Rodgers were doing all this just to prove a point. That's pretty poor communication too.
I actually think silence (and maybe some little leaks via friends) is the only smart strategy for AR.

The only thing that can diffuse the situation is him showing up for camp and committing. The media have zero interest in letting this drama end since it's great clickbait, so no words would suffice to end the drama. Anything he would utter would be dissected and reassembled to fit whatever narrative one wants to peddle. The questions wouldn't end until camp started anyways. And they won't even then, but the act of him showing up would answer most immediate ones.

Also, silence keeps the pressure on the front office when it comes to whatever issues he has with them, without doing any real damage. AR had zero need for the OTAs and minicamp, anyways, and letting Love have all those snaps was nice.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

wallyuwl wrote:
28 Jun 2021 13:57
This thread is too long. We need to start another one where people can state their thoughts as they stand today. :beer2: :hide: :lol:
Yes it is too long but we only have 4 weeks before we know who the starting QB will be. If AR is not there on Family night, he won't be there on opening day. Plus he could outright say he is not reporting tomorrow. These would be natural times to restart

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Heres a google link to the bleacher report article by Tyler Dunn, where he points out that Rodgers was fed up with McCarthy's offense since 016 and audibling out of half the called plays because if he hadn't defenses would know exactly what was coming, I agree with some of that.

Rodgers refutes much of the story though, in another link.

when it fell apart isn't exactly clear, but it seemed obvious midway through the 2018 season.

We had a hell of a run," Rodgers said. "We had 13 years, four NFC championships, one Super Bowl, eight straight playoffs, 19 straight wins. So, instead of trashing this guy on the way out, let's remember the amazing times that we had together.

https://www.nfl.com/news/aaron-rodgers- ... 0001025673
Last edited by Yoop on 28 Jun 2021 15:45, edited 3 times in total.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
28 Jun 2021 14:48
Heres a google link to the bleacher report article by Tyler Dunn, where he points out that Rodgers was fed up with McCarthy's offense since 016 and audibling out of half the called plays because if he hadn't defenses would know exactly what was coming, could say if not for Rodgers McCarthy would have been looking for a job even sooner., and should have been, that was some of the worst play calling in that Seattle game I ever saw.

I didn't realize that Bleacher report blocks there articles from being linked, and didn't recheck that it didn't when I made that post 2 pages back, sorry.
Tyler Dunne is a hack. I know someone he dated, don't trust the guy. Just trying to make a name for himself.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Acrobat wrote:
28 Jun 2021 15:25
Yoop wrote:
Heres a google link to the bleacher report article by Tyler Dunn, where he points out that Rodgers was fed up with McCarthy's offense since 016 and audibling out of half the called plays because if he hadn't defenses would know exactly what was coming, could say if not for Rodgers McCarthy would have been looking for a job even sooner., and should have been, that was some of the worst play calling in that Seattle game I ever saw.

I didn't realize that Bleacher report blocks there articles from being linked, and didn't recheck that it didn't when I made that post 2 pages back, sorry.
Tyler Dunne is a hack. I know someone he dated, don't trust the guy. Just trying to make a name for himself.
That’s always the sense I’ve gotten from Dunne as well. He’s smart. He knows for whatever reason the Packers fan base doesn’t love Rodgers the same way other teams fan bases love their franchise QBs. Negativity sells. Might as well rule them up to get more clicks.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Acrobat wrote:
28 Jun 2021 15:25
Yoop wrote:

Huh. That's pretty weird. I thought he was one of the VERY few beat reporters over the years we've had that actually does homework and research and brings something extra to the game. Given that the fans now have direct access to the press conferences and such, most articles are just filling in words around quotes we've already heard. Dunne actually seemed to develop sources and reach out to involved parties directly and add more to the story than what we already knew. He also had an "in" on the Rodgers text messages making fun of Gutey (had we forgotten that part yet?)

Anyway, totally fine if there's a personal connection and a lack of trust. But he's generally well regarded around here and I haven't yet seen him go the McGinn route of using selective source quotes to hammer a personal narrative without ever amending his perspective to a more balanced, nuanced, or wholistic view of a topic.

But to the point, I think we all know that Rodgers got frustrated with MM's offense and was audibling a lot. That's not just Dunne; that's pretty well-reported and was the perception at the time. That's a big reason why "audibleghazi" dominated the news cycle in MLF's first year. Because Rodgers was so used to it.

But it's also true that Aaron Rodgers has a very difficult time admitting fault, always. And when things don't go well, especially when he knows deep down, that he could have played better, he generally lashes out at other entities. So when the offense stalled under MM, in part because the receivers couldn't win 1-on-1, in part because MM (and Rodgers) bought into a "we need to force more big plays and that will open up the offense and create winning football" logic (lots of quotes of both of them saying that, plus the on-field evidence of Rodgers heaving it downfield on 3rd and short like a bazillion times in those years), in part because TT didn't stock the receiver room, in part because Rodgers was too risk-averse to throw into traffic with receivers he didn't trust, and in part because, frankly, he had lost patience... he lashed out against MM.

And when we lost the NFC Championship game in a battle in which any one of a million things could have swung the balance in our direction, instead of focusing on the red zone throws HE missed, he lashed out at the whole team and threatened to quit.

Rodgers lashes out when something is partially his fault and he can't accept it. And I'm saying that descriptively, not judgementally. I think accepting fault when your fault was small and lots of other things could have come through for you is a difficult thing for most people. But it's definitely a skill he lacks. You very rarely get the "the buck stops with me" kind of talk from Rodgers, especially as his career has gone on. And that's fine. It's just not the way he's wired. But we can also admit that

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I think there was a lot to Dunne's story but my guess is you will always some "some of that" no matter the year etc. Especially when things aren't working which they clearly weren't after 2014.

But I also don't really know why it matters. Like I don't understand why Rodgers not jiving with MM after 2014 or "when it started to happen" has any relevance to what is happening right now.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Another thing about Dunne that I don’t like is he seems to have a narrative and picks and chooses what he is going to use.

To be fair McGinn does the same damn thing but I often agree with it so I’ll give it a pass. What can I say, the world revolves around me.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Nearly all beat writers will always align there commentary with the team. They don't want to lose sources and access. Much safer to have a long career writing this way.

National reporters can be different but they also may have a bias e.g. reporters tied to a superstar athlete - see this with Lebron/Klutch.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
28 Jun 2021 19:41
Nearly all beat writers will always align there commentary with the team. They don't want to lose sources and access. Much safer to have a long career writing this way.

National reporters can be different but they also may have a bias e.g. reporters tied to a superstar athlete - see this with Lebron/Klutch.
My dad got voted the “most hated man in Annapolis” because he didn’t cater to the local teams as a sports writer. Also won state Sportswriter of the year several times. Also got a bouquet of flowers from Bellichick and the Orioles at his funeral.

You don’t have to cowtow to the local teams to keep good sources. If reporters think that’s true, that’s self inflicted pressure, not real pressure.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Jun 2021 19:50
bud fox wrote:

My dad got voted the “most hated man in Annapolis” because he didn’t cater to the local teams as a sports writer. Also won state Sportswriter of the year several times. Also got a bouquet of flowers from Bellichick and the Orioles at his funeral.

You don’t have to cowtow to the local teams to keep good sources. If reporters think that’s true, that’s self inflicted pressure, not real pressure.
Sounds like he had a great career. That said, I feel being. A beat writer covering major markets and multiple
Sports is night and day different than what goes on in GB. I think our talent level of beat writers is far lower, and our guys are far more scared to lose access or ruffle feathers.there is no where else to turn in the town if they burn even one bridge.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Interesting - somewhat explains why your posts are top quality.

Well written and researched but unfortunately sometimes wrong :lol:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Are we trying to honestly say now that sports writers cater their stories to the Packers over Aaron Rodgers? :roll: :roll:

It's Aaron Rodgers people. He's just as big of an entity as the Packers are for these writers.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
28 Jun 2021 20:56
Are we trying to honestly say now that sports writers cater their stories to the Packers over Aaron Rodgers? :roll: :roll:

It's Aaron Rodgers people. He's just as big of an entity as the Packers are for these writers.
Classic play. If the information out there doesn't fit narrative, blame the sources.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

go pak go wrote:

National Media definitely but local beat writers no.

The ones that act as if they are best friends with "Gutey" at press conferences. They are tied to the packers because they will still be writing about the packers when Rodgers is gone.

National media who aren't as biased, outside of catchy headlines, favor Rodgers throughout this.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
28 Jun 2021 23:04
go pak go wrote:

National Media definitely but local beat writers no.

The ones that act as if they are best friends with "Gutey" at press conferences. They are tied to the packers because they will still be writing about the packers when Rodgers is gone.

National media who aren't as biased, outside of catchy headlines, favor Rodgers throughout this.
Are you meaning like Stephen A Smith, Skip Bayless and Pat McFee?
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Jun 2021 20:25
YoHoChecko wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Sounds like he had a great career. That said, I feel being. A beat writer covering major markets and multiple
Sports is night and day different than what goes on in GB. I think our talent level of beat writers is far lower, and our guys are far more scared to lose access or ruffle feathers.there is no where else to turn in the town if they burn even one bridge.
our beat writers often get after the FO and don't report covering for the FO, a quick google search of the beat writers will show some work for Journal sentinel from Millwaukee and also cover the Bucks and Braves, heres a articles of then openly complaining about rules they gor upset about last year.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... ku6lmk1bbk

heres a story about Bob McGinn, who I think was/is one of the best sports reporters in the country, and never shirked asking the tough questions, so much so the Packer homers started to hate him cause he wouldn't let the FO off the hook, and as this little bit shows Bob was innovative in his craft.

McGinn has tracked some stats long before they were in vogue. Many longtime NFL writers believe he was the first person to record targets. But he also archives pressures, quarterback knockdowns and hurries, dropped passes, sacks allowed and what he calls bad runs (gains of one yard or less in non-goal-line or short-yardage situations). He can—and did on Wednesday—find who allowed a sack.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/20/green ... bob-mcginn

just because a writter reports on a team from a smaller city doesn't mean thats all they report on, Millwaukee is 2.5 hours away and they have a couple of major league teams that need reporters too.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

McGinn lost me at his hit piece on Colt Lyerla and how the Packers were bottom dwellers or whatever. I think he WAS good but then he developed tunnel vision and was resembling Skip Bayless more than a respected sports reporter.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jun 2021 07:22
Drj820 wrote:
28 Jun 2021 20:25
YoHoChecko wrote:

our beat writers often get after the FO and don't report covering for the FO, a quick google search of the beat writers will show some work for Journal sentinel from Millwaukee and also cover the Bucks and Braves, heres a articles of then openly complaining about rules they gor upset about last year.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... ku6lmk1bbk

heres a story about Bob McGinn, who I think was/is one of the best sports reporters in the country, and never shirked asking the tough questions, so much so the Packer homers started to hate him cause he wouldn't let the FO off the hook, and as this little bit shows Bob was innovative in his craft.

McGinn has tracked some stats long before they were in vogue. Many longtime NFL writers believe he was the first person to record targets. But he also archives pressures, quarterback knockdowns and hurries, dropped passes, sacks allowed and what he calls bad runs (gains of one yard or less in non-goal-line or short-yardage situations). He can—and did on Wednesday—find who allowed a sack.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/20/green ... bob-mcginn

just because a writter reports on a team from a smaller city doesn't mean thats all they report on, Millwaukee is 2.5 hours away and they have a couple of major league teams that need reporters too.
Thanks for the update. You may think our beat writers do a good job, but compared to others around the country...i do not. I only need about 2 fingers to count the amount of useful information someone like Demovsky has ever given me. The national guys like rapsheet and Schefter are the guys that break all of our news, yet they live thousands of miles away. The two guys I lean on for info are Nagler (not a beat writer) and Matt Schneiderman from the Athletic. The rest are borderline useless in my quest to acquire new and interesting information.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur