Random stuff

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

paco wrote:
16 Jun 2021 09:48
Having pets suck. You get attached, then they get sick and start dying on you. Found out today 1 of our cats probably has cancer and less than a year to live. Maybe only a few months. She's had a good long life, but it still sucks.
Sorry to hear that. It is very tough. We had two dogs that we had for over 11 years. In late January 2019 we found out he "might" have lymphoma when we took him in for something else. A week later we had to put him down, but he still was acting mostly normal until two days prior. Very fast and by the time we knew for sure somewhat was wrong it was way too late to try any treatments. We were in a depression for a month (could hardly get out of bed, it was bad). Had a baby about 9 weeks later. 3 weeks after that, found out our other dog had sarcoma. It was either put him down or try a $5,000 surgery that was expected to get 2-3 months, if it was successful (they couldn't tell if it spread beyond the spleen). So of course it wasn't even a consideration to not try it. It was successful, and we got 5.5 months longer from our boy.

A week went by and the house was way too quiet, so we got another one. Thought he was a lab and 4 years old. Turns our he is a plot hound and double that in age. He was really rough at first, very wild. Gets better behaved every week it seems, though. Had a pretty difficult life before (was a bear hunting dog on the reservation in northern Oconto County, then was a stray for a while once he got too old to hunt, then in and out of the shelter for another year and a half). Then two months after that we got a second. He is very sweet and loving, but is a killer (rabbit and two birds). They are good dogs, especially the second one. But it isn't the same and we miss our first two every day. We have those two's remains together in one wooden earn on our fireplace mantle. Just typing this makes me sad.
Last edited by wallyuwl on 16 Jun 2021 10:25, edited 2 times in total.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

wallyuwl wrote:
16 Jun 2021 10:12
paco wrote:
16 Jun 2021 09:48
Having pets suck. You get attached, then they get sick and start dying on you. Found out today 1 of our cats probably has cancer and less than a year to live. Maybe only a few months. She's had a good long life, but it still sucks.
Sorry to hear that. It is very tough. We had two dogs that we had for over 11 years. In late January 2019 we found out he "might" have lymphoma when we took him in for something else. A week later we had to put him down, but he still was acting mostly normal until two days prior. Very fast and by the time we knew for sure somewhat was wrong it was way too late to try any treatments. We were in a depression for a month (could hardly get out of bed, it was bad). Had a baby about 9 weeks later. 3 weeks after that, found out our other dog had sarcoma. It was either put him down or try a $5,000 surgery that was expected to get 2-3 months, if it was successful (they couldn't tell if it spread beyond the spleen). So of course it wasn't even a consideration to not try it. It was successful, and we got 5.5 months longer from our boy.

A week went by and the house was way too quiet, so we got another one. Thought he was a lab and 4 years old. Turns our he is a plot hound and double that in age. He was really rough at first, very wild. Gets better behaved every week it seems, though. Had a pretty difficult life before (was a bear hunting dog on the reservation in northern Oconto County, then was a stray for a while once he got too old to hunt, then in and out of the shelter for another year and a half). Then two months after that we got a second. He is very sweet and loving, but is a killer (rabbit and two birds). They are good dogs, especially the second one. But it isn't the same and we miss our first two every day. We have those two's remains together in one wooden earn on our fireplace mantle. Just typing this makes me sad.
Wow, that's a tough stretch. This cat is almost 17 years old. We've had her for about 15 years. It's good to know how this may go. We are not doing any type of treatments other than putting her on some steroids, to hopefully help with putting on some weight and making her a bit more comfortable. Outside of the extreme weight loss, she is still acting pretty normal. But sounds like that can change quick.

Our other cat is the same age and we got them at the same time. She is on 2 blood pressure meds, , pain meds, antibiotics, and kidney diet food. Having 2 elderly pets at the same time is a pain.

When both go, my wife has said she wants them cremated as well. These are our kids (no human ones for us). I've only ever had to put down 1 pet in my adult life, but have it wasn't a cat or dog. I imagine this will as tough or more. Going to be a rough year is my guess. We'll probably look to get a dog after this. My wife has wanted one for a long time, but we knew it wasn't a good match with the cats we have.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Really enjoying watching the Olympic track trials. Especially the 200m women.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

My wife should be gone more often. I can eat what I want and watch what I want. That ends tomorrow. But she leaves again in 2 or 3 weeks. :banana:
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Been talking about it for a year or 2 at least. But tomorrow I will finally kill my Dish service.

Sucks I have to spend an extra 25/month just to get History channel (Philo). Hopefully they create their own app soon or get on YouTube tv.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I was almost tempted to keep it. They offered $40/month off my bill for the next year. Would have made it cheaper than the streaming combo we'll have. But time to cut the cord.
RIP JustJeff

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

I’m just curious but what about the History channel do you like?

I ask because I have a useless history degree - I LOVE and appreciate history - but all that channel has become is reality shows and UFO crap. They have very little content that I would describe as history.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Gunzaan wrote:
01 Jul 2021 13:43
I’m just curious but what about the History channel do you like?

I ask because I have a useless history degree - I LOVE and appreciate history - but all that channel has become is reality shows and UFO crap. They have very little content that I would describe as history.
Definitely Curse of Oak Island, that is my jam!

Didn’t realize you had that. I went back and forth on wanting to teach history or math for about 3 years, eventually did neither, but I also love history and yes, history channel disappoints.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

It’s a useless piece of paper. I went into history education and it wasn’t for me but I already had all those credits!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Amazon Prime and YouTube are my sources of history programming. So much out there. Just have to find it.

Read More. Post Less.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

NCF wrote:
01 Jul 2021 15:55
Amazon Prime and YouTube are my sources of history programming. So much out there. Just have to find it.
You are correct - it’s out there on various options, I was just curious if I was missing out on something from the History Channel.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Late at night they do a lot of WW2 stuff!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

National Geographic has excellent history videos for free on YouTube.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Jul 2021 17:20
Late at night they do a lot of WW2 stuff!
They do ww2 on PlutoTv as well.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

We've always been history Channel fans. Curse of Oak Island is a must. Been watching The Food That Built America. Good series. But always good stuff popping up on there. As long as you can avoid all the alien stuff, you can find gems.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Today is going to be a hard day. Making the call to put down our cat Ella. We have to unfortunately wait until 4:30pm to be able to take her in. Not sure if I'd rather she pass at home while we wait or not. It was 14 years ago on the 4th of July when we brought her and Luci home. She's 3 months shy of her 17th birthday. So tip one back in honor of our kitty!
image.png
image.png (287.16 KiB) Viewed 324 times
Attachments
20210622_181530.jpg
20210622_181530.jpg (378.49 KiB) Viewed 319 times
20210504_213839.jpg
20210504_213839.jpg (153.39 KiB) Viewed 319 times
Last edited by paco on 02 Jul 2021 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Will do, [mention]paco[/mention]. Sucks losing a pet so hard.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Sorry to hear that [mention]paco[/mention].

Our baby Daisy is already 11 and slowing down quite a bit. Already dreading that day.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

NCF wrote:
02 Jul 2021 08:36
Will do, @paco. Sucks losing a pet so hard.
Will do as well, @ paco. Sorry to hear. Losing a pet is really difficult. You have my sympathy. Take care of yourself.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Shut up Brady.
RIP JustJeff