Eric Stokes - CB - Georgia - Round 1 - Pick 29

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Wow, Ryan Clark going straight to the emotional jugular with this one:
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Ryan Clark knows one thing about Green Bay Packers first-round draft pick Eric Stokes.

“What we definitely won’t see is Scotty Miller run by him with a few seconds to go in the first half of the NFC Championship Game,” Clark said. “I would expect that’s a race he could be a little closer in than Kevin King.”

Clark, the former Pro Bowl defensive back and current ESPN analyst, should know. He spent the weeks leading up to the NFL draft helping to train Stokes for his pro day and pre-draft workouts.
Rest of the article

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Gray says Stokes' "grabbiness" isn't a concern. He has techniques (including boxing gloves) that he's used in the past. Referenced Xavier Rhodes at Minnesota, says players will learn to cover with their feet and make their hands secondary

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 May 2021 13:19
Gray says Stokes' "grabbiness" isn't a concern. He has techniques (including boxing gloves) that he's used in the past. Referenced Xavier Rhodes at Minnesota, says players will learn to cover with their feet and make their hands secondary
Thats actually a genius coaching technique.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 May 2021 14:58
YoHoChecko wrote:
26 May 2021 13:19
Thats actually a genius coaching technique.
Didn't work for Ahmad Carrol though! :lol:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Good guy
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Not to be that guy, but players do this all the time. I hope he did it wisely and I hope she can sustain the home (like make property tax payments, etc).

It looks like a nice place. I just always worry that these rookies, who sign relatively small deals (when looking at life long earnings) are smart with their money. Stokes signed a $12 million contract. If he doesn't make it 2nd contract, that is like $7 million or so that Stokes likely gets to pocket over 4 years.

A lot of money no doubt. Life changing money no doubt. But also money that can leak out FAST if not treated correctly or spread among too many people.

And the only reason I say this is because we constantly hear how quickly NFL players go broke after being in the league.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
06 Jul 2021 13:34
Not to be that guy, but players do this all the time. I hope he did it wisely and I hope she can sustain the home (like make property tax payments, etc).

It looks like a nice place. I just always worry that these rookies, who sign relatively small deals (when looking at life long earnings) are smart with their money. Stokes signed a $12 million contract. If he doesn't make it 2nd contract, that is like $7 million or so that Stokes likely gets to pocket over 4 years.

A lot of money no doubt. Life changing money no doubt. But also money that can leak out FAST if not treated correctly or spread among too many people.

And the only reason I say this is because we constantly hear how quickly NFL players go broke after being in the league.
very "that guy" comment haha :lol:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:

He will be fine. Even if he’s absolute garbage the Packers will resign him to a 6 million dollar deal after his rookie deal.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
06 Jul 2021 20:52
go pak go wrote:

He will be fine. Even if he’s absolute garbage the Packers will resign him to a 6 million dollar deal after his rookie deal.
Not like he bought a car that loses 70% of its value when he pulls out of the lot. If the finances go south, that house can be sold tomorrow. Property is a strong investment. I’m happy for him and grandma.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

great gesture to his Grandma, who will certainly sell the house for a better one in 5 years when we pay Stokes boco mil. on a 2nd contract, and he will buy Grandma a even bigger house :lol: nice to see Stokes has his priority's in order.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
07 Jul 2021 07:54
great gesture to his Grandma, who will certainly sell the house for a better one in 5 years when we pay Stokes boco mil. on a 2nd contract, and he will buy Grandma a even bigger house :lol: nice to see Stokes has his priority's in order.
The word is beaucoup and that is the way it is pronounced. It is French but everyone who served in Vietnam knew it. It does not rhyme with loco - as in crazy. If you wish to be understood, you could at least make an effort.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
11 Jul 2021 00:20
Yoop wrote:
07 Jul 2021 07:54
The word is beaucoup and that is the way it is pronounced. It is French but everyone who served in Vietnam knew it. It does not rhyme with loco - as in crazy. If you wish to be understood, you could at least make an effort.
:thwap:
Last edited by Yoop on 11 Jul 2021 07:55, edited 1 time in total.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

:favre:
RIP JustJeff

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
we hear a lot more about the ones who whiff than all of the guys who make it work. Ricky Jean Francois is a great example of doing it right, but I'm sure there are many other stories of guys turning their NFL pay/fame into thriving businesses, productive farms and financial powerhouses.
But those stories aren't sensational enough to go viral

Back to Eric Stokes -
You couldn't ask for a better set-up than he's walking into in GB. He's got a great, veteran DB coach in Jerry Gray, a top mentor in Jaire, an opportunity to earn a starting role and plays on a winning squad. He has a DC that would love him to win an outside spot and 2 veteran Safeties to show him the ropes and cover for his rookie-ness.

Post draft from Gute:
“I do think Eric’s a pretty quick study,” Gutekunst said. “I think he’ll get in that mix somehow, someway eventually, hopefully this season.

“We interviewed him, and he’s just a genuine human being. I think the Packer fans are going to love him. He’s just a quality human being that’s really driven, has overcome a lot of adversity in his young life.
“Then obviously, being a top player in the SEC and a rare athlete, as you checked the boxes, he added up.”

Stokes made second-team All-Southeastern Conference in 2019 and first team in 2020.
IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

from the Athletic article on Stokes

"Stokes is fast. Really fast.

His 4.29-second 40-yard dash at Georgia pro day was, in part, why the Packers drafted the former Bulldogs cornerback No. 29 last month. Stokes’ time was second fastest among all prospects in this year’s draft, according to Relative Athletic Scores, behind only former Auburn wideout Anthony Schwartz.

It’s how Stokes uses his speed, though, not simply that he runs a blazing 40 time, that can make him effective in the NFL.

“I think in his subconscious, he knows, ‘There’s not many human beings that can run by me,'” said Charlton Warren, Stokes’ former defensive backs coach at Georgia and now Indiana’s defensive coordinator. “So it allows him, based on down and distance, to play receivers and route concepts a little differently than a guy that may not feel like he can match up step-for-step with most wide receivers. He knows that ‘I’m not gonna necessarily get just ran by, so if it’s second-and-long, maybe I can sit on a comeback at 8 to 9 yards and if the guy does turn on the jets, I’ve got time, with the ball in the air over 30 or 40 yards, to make up ground.’

“One, you’re getting the tangible things of unbelievable speed, great length and size,” Coach Warren said of the 6-foot, 194-pound Stokes, who boasts a lengthy 78-inch wingspan. “If you had to draw a prototypical NFL corner, you would draw a picture of Eric Stokes. And if you had to match the speed and the jumping ability, it would be at the upper echelon of what you would see. From the intangibles, you’re getting a very bright, charismatic, really smart football player that understands multiple levels of the defense and a guy that has a real thirst to learn football. You’re getting a tireless worker and you’re getting a guy that puts a lot of, I don’t want to say pressure, but his standard, for a coach, you don’t even have to worry about him trying to live up to a standard because the one he sets for himself will always be higher than what you can set for him as a coach.”
IT. IS. TIME