Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Holy Molly :rotf: :rotf:

whats it called ocumes razor????? where the simplest explanation tends to be the right one? we havn't heard a simple explanation for awhile now, but the simplest that we've heard is soooooo boring, " they cut Kumerow the day after I praised him, or they've been treating my Buds poorly, ( I seriously can't keep a straight face any longer lol)

well, I really think Rodgers had so much respect for McCarthy and Ted that he wouldn't come out and say these two guys have to go about 4 or 5 years ago, now he may not have known exactly who or what would be a better offensive plan or coach, but he had to know what was happening wasn't working, down deep I think we all did, McCarthy wouldn't run the ball enough even when it was performing very well ( many blamed Rodgers for that, but he came right out and said in 017 we needed new schemes and we needed to run more) and McCarthy iso vert routes lacked success because the receivers we had couldn't get open on schedule, this stuff was obvious to all of us, I commented about it often, and so did some of you.

like I said ( oh no here I go being redundent again) if we know this or even think this then it's probable that Rodgers, Guty, and Murph have had conversations concerning these issues, so (just guessing now) Rodgers is punishing them for there innaction back in 016 or 017 for not making changes back then.

He had to know that asking for a trade would not be taken seriously, and behind closed doors the staff acknowledged his resentments, and he's just dragging this out till TC, I've never really thought that he wouldn't be playing for us this year, I don't think any of you thought that either, Maybe Skeptic, but he acts as though Jarred Love is his younger brother :lol: , and thats alright too.

also I think if the team wanted they could keep Rodgers till the end of his contract, but we'll see.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
09 Jul 2021 11:00
YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Jul 2021 10:58
Without him, they're only contenders if Love surprises us with a Mahomes/Lamar Jackson style sophomore campaign, which is possible but I think we would all agree highly unlikely.
I think the biggest problem here is that I would not really consider this a sophomore campaign for Love. We've argued this before and in some ways it obviously is, but in many other ways, it isn't.
Right. Depends on the baseline. I think compared to many other sophomore QBs in recent league history, it's not really. But compared to himself, he is obviously in a MUCH better position and far superior than he was one year ago.

We drafted a guy who we knew would be a project but whose upside was worth it. We treated him, in an unusual year, like a project whose development was prioritized over getting him on the field quickly, because we didn't need to and the offseason wasn't ideal for getting him good reps. And so it's not a typical sophomore season. Even if it WAS a typical sophomore season, having a year like Mahomes and Jackson, who each won MVPs in their second seasons, is a huge longshot. For Love, it's a bit of a bigger longshot, because he's still somewhat behind each of them in terms of quality, live reps in the offense and NFL.

But my broader point that the team is in great shape to withstand any outcome from Rodgers remains. My goodness I wish we had full Rodgers buy-in and certainty that he'd be back, making us clear Super Bowl contenders. But as it stands, I'm getting to a sports book and taking the "over" of 9 games asap before the whole thing gets resolved.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
09 Jul 2021 11:05
like I said ( oh no here I go being redundent again) if we know this or even think this then it's probable that Rodgers, Guty, and Murph have had conversations concerning these issues, so (just guessing now) Rodgers is punishing them for there innaction back in 016 or 017 for not making changes back then.
If you want the simplest explanation, as you stated, then the idea that he's punishing the current front office for things he was mad about 4-5 years ago is NOT the simplest answer. The simplest explanation is that he's mad about something the current front office has done recently, or that he's mad about something perceived as the straw that broke the camels back along the same lines as that.

Besides, as TT said, and Murphy repeated, Rodgers is a complicated fella. The simplest answer doesn't seem likely :lol: :P

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
09 Jul 2021 11:05
This isn't redundant, it's senseless. You do not really believe this and in the 102 pages of this back-and-forth you have never mentioned this specific theory. Maybe reassess what it is you really believe because I think you are beginning to confuse yourself.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
09 Jul 2021 11:15
(just guessing now
if Rodgers is complicated then who knows what his reasons are, he voiced frustration years back, now that might not be his main reason for holding out, but it could be part of it.

I do think I'am right though that he new the team wouldn't trade him, Love isn't ready and may not be next year either, and as has been said the team doesn't have to trade him next year either, and why would they if they don't feel Love can get the job done, Rodgers has no leverage except to sit out and ruin his last couple years, he's no fool either.

more and more I think this was mostly to voice his complaints about what happened prior to Guty and the hiring of Lafluer, and some about not being included with some team decisions.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Gunzaan wrote:
09 Jul 2021 10:17
YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Jul 2021 09:47
Take responsibility and make your own reality. If there's something you want to discuss and you don't see it discussed, post it and discuss it. It's a public forum. It requires public participation. If you see something missing, there's no better person than you to add it.
That wasn’t my point at all. That was just an example.

It’s all good though - I value the opinion of specific posters here because they form solid opinions over time based of analysis and facts. I’ll just wait until football starts to check up on those opinions - not the end of the world.
I don't care what your point was. MY point is that if you want the opinions of specific posters on specific topics and you don't see them, YOU can post about those topics and I promise, the opinions of thoughtful posters you value will follow. My point is that you're complaining about a problem that you can easily solve with minimal effort and refusing to do anything to solve it.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The simplest explanation is this is revenge for drafting Love and he was going to do this no matter what after the 2020 season because the org embarrassed him.

The more complex explanation could be a number of things, but I think if it wasnt truly premeditated that its just a mental breakdown stemming from the disappointments of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory once again in an NFCCG. He didnt deal with it well, needed someone to blame..chose the org.

The stage of grief cycle will continue and hopefully by September he will be at the "acceptance" stage.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jul 2021 11:38
The simplest explanation is this is revenge for drafting Love and he was going to do this no matter what after the 2020 season because the org embarrassed him.

The more complex explanation could be a number of things, but I think if it wasnt truly premeditated that its just a mental breakdown stemming from the disappointments of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory once again in an NFCCG. He didnt deal with it well, needed someone to blame..chose the org.

The stage of grief cycle will continue and hopefully by September he will be at the "acceptance" stage.
well ya never hear him complain much when a player screws up, but can you imagine the frustration watching King give up that TD right before half time, or the end zone drops, or kicking the FG, obviously Rodgers is perfect either, but ya play your heart out year after year and someone ( rarely you) snatches victory from your grasp, Pettines defenses fell short two years in a row.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Good chance another underrated thing about this is that the org didnt consult him about who to hire at DC and he probably looks at Joe Barrys resume and thinks the guy is a bum.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jul 2021 12:03
Good chance another underrated thing about this is that the org didnt consult him about who to hire at DC and he probably looks at Joe Barrys resume and thinks the guy is a bum.
I have trouble to believe it has anything to do with winning a ring in 2021 because if it did, playing for the Packers is the best and most obvious answer. I think it's about getting himself to a situation that HE chose where he can FINISH his career and thus open up maybe another 3-4 year window for a ring somewhere else, but knows it won't come immediately like Brady's did.

Joe Barry, then, wouldn't play into it much. Also, if Rodgers has been avoiding the team, they didn't have much chance to give him a say.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Jul 2021 12:06

I have trouble to believe it has anything to do with winning a ring in 2021 because if it did, playing for the Packers is the best and most obvious answer. I think it's about getting himself to a situation that HE chose where he can FINISH his career and thus open up maybe another 3-4 year window for a ring somewhere else, but knows it won't come immediately like Brady's did.

Joe Barry, then, wouldn't play into it much. Also, if Rodgers has been avoiding the team, they didn't have much chance to give him a say.
This is a pretty good take. I think he knows he is going to have to try and do it the way Brett did (NY to MN, and almost got to the SB), not Brady.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Jul 2021 09:54
A while ago either @Backthepack4ever or @Scott4Pack (shoot, maybe it was @Crazylegs Starks) brought in a scholarly article on the role of luck in life outcomes and it's truly excellent.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Drj820 wrote:
09 Jul 2021 09:37
Same reason another thread is being dominated by a debate on whether people would trade there current life for the life of a man with more money and chromosomes than them...its july.
If Trubisky has more chromosomes than I do, then one of us is not human. I'll leave it to you to decide which is which. :mrgreen:
- Vince Lombardi

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
09 Jul 2021 13:09
Drj820 wrote:
Same reason another thread is being dominated by a debate on whether people would trade there current life for the life of a man with more money and chromosomes than them...its july.
If Trubisky has more chromosomes than I do, then one of us is not human. I'll leave it to you to decide which is which. :mrgreen:
Pretty sure it's a downs syndrome joke

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Jul 2021 13:12
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
09 Jul 2021 13:09
Drj820 wrote:
Pretty sure it's a downs syndrome joke
Ah, I see...well then I learned something today
- Vince Lombardi

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Sure hope we get more reactions to a comment like that than 'thanks for the info'.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Rodgers was lied to and embarrassed. He is now just standing up for himself, I commend those actions.

The guy is in a position where he doesn't have to slurp management like the majority of the workforce.

Packers primary business activity is playing football. Rodgers is the best footballer in the world right now. Management didn't think he would be and that is what makes this so difficult. How can you possibly move from the MVP even though it is your plan?

Rodgers ruined there plans for management to look good, however it was a big plus for fans as we got to watch a MVP season.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Jul 2021 12:06
Drj820 wrote:
09 Jul 2021 12:03

Agree with this ... I have never got the sense Rodgers cares about the defence. He likes players on defence but more so for there locker room and vet attributes.

I can't say Packers are the best chance for him to win in 2021. I think Rodgers has a legit chance at multiple places. He is currently the best player in the league and best QB of all time. His influence on a team can not be overstated

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

bud fox wrote:
09 Jul 2021 18:12
Rodgers was lied to and embarrassed. He is now just standing up for himself, I commend those actions.

The guy is in a position where he doesn't have to slurp management like the majority of the workforce.

Packers primary business activity is playing football. Rodgers is the best footballer in the world right now. Management didn't think he would be and that is what makes this so difficult. How can you possibly move from the MVP even though it is your plan?

Rodgers ruined there plans for management to look good, however it was a big plus for fans as we got to watch a MVP season.
And another early exit in the playoffs.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Acrobat wrote:
09 Jul 2021 10:59
Drj820 wrote:
09 Jul 2021 10:08
I had a thought the other day as Rodgers was at "The Match" and talking about mental health.

What if this entire thing has been a mental breakdown?

He knows the team has resigned Jones, tried to give him a defense, brought in a new coach, etc etc.

He knows last year was his best chance to win a ring with the Packers and the team squandered the opportunity. I mean lets face it, he knows the niners are going to be better, he knows the Rams got better, he knows the Bucs will be more cohesive than they were last year in year 2.

He put so much into last year and the loss was so devastatingly deflating that he had to lash out and run away for awhile.

There are painful examples of situations like this happening such as two people working toward a goal, they fail to achieve the goal for a while but they still have faith they will achieve it eventually. Then, as they age..they get super close but squander the opportunity in the end. After they squander the opportunity, there is still another chance to go for it again, but being so close and failing was just too devastating so they begin to blame each other, and one party just decides it would be best to try to achieve the goal with another partner while he still has a few more years to try.

Neither side was really to blame. Both sides tried, both sides failed..but after failure the finger pointing started.

Rodgers is in the "take my ball and go home" stage of this mental roller coaster. Losing the NFCCG and watching Brady win an easy game was harder on him than most recognized. He will be back.

But Brady broke him.
You might be onto something. I thought something similar too. Getting old isn't easy and I think a lot of men in their late 30's suffer from mental illness, depression, etc. I haven't been through anything too bad but being 40 now, even a few years ago were pretty tough on me mentally. Sometimes when people go through something, they lash out at other people, so it does kind of make sense.
This could end up as being reminiscent of when Dandy Don hung up his cleats. Some say Roger Staubach's Super Bowl winning team should have been Don Meredith's Super Bowl winning team. The Packers may have broken Dandy Don. Just sayin'