Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Brady (+ $5 = $5).
LT (+1 = $6)
WR1/WR2/TE ... literally any affordable combination. Brady has won it all when his only above-average targets at a given time was Edelman or Deion Branch.

But if I had to put together what I felt was the best combination? Assuming I cannot pick WRs from the same row: Moss for sure (+$4), then either Julio and Sharpe (+$3 +$2 = $5... $5 + $1 + $4 + $3+2 = $15) -or- AB and Gates (+$2 + $3 = $5... $5 + $1 + $4 + $2+3 = $15). I would go with Moss/AB/Gates -- three guys who can all hurt you downfield, two are big targets with incredible basketball athleticism, Brown can also do damage underneath and in space. We saw what Brady did with Moss. AB > Welker. Gates > Stallworth, and whatever he had at TE.

Why pony up for Brady when the other options are all great? Montana was a system QB and the benefactor of great WRs, Peyton plays like dog'&%$@ in the playoffs -- his SuperBowl teams largely won in spite of him; he also choked two away -- Brees is bad luck, and Marino never won &%$@. We know Brady is a lucky MFer and we know he can with with just okay talent around him (and sometimes even less)!

On that note, I see no point in spending more than $1 at RB. With the WRs and TE you could field from the options, you could probably win the SuperBowl with Danny Woodhead as your starting RB; Tomlinson is a high-end starter and more than adequate next to these receivers.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

The real price for going All In

"The last five years of Denver Broncos football can be summed up by a famous Alice Walker quote: “Time moves slowly, but passes quickly.” It seems like just yesterday the Broncos and their fans were celebrating their Super Bowl 50 win over the Carolina Panthers. Nearly six years later, they’ve yet to return to the postseason, they’ve been through three head coaches, have a 32-48 overall record in that time span, and, most crucially, have been unable to figure out their situation at quarterback."

6 years of no playoffs ? The last time that happened in Titletown was from 1983 -1988 and many of you weren't even born yet.
IT. IS. TIME

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

BSA wrote:
15 Jul 2021 10:16

"The last five years of Denver Broncos football can be summed up by a famous Alice Walker quote: “Time moves slowly, but passes quickly.” It seems like just yesterday the Broncos and their fans were celebrating their Super Bowl 50 win over the Carolina Panthers. Nearly six years later, they’ve yet to return to the postseason, they’ve been through three head coaches, have a 32-48 overall record in that time span, and, most crucially, have been unable to figure out their situation at quarterback."

6 years of no playoffs ? The last time that happened in Titletown was from 1983 -1988 and many of you weren't even born yet.
Not all situations are similar, but I do hate it when people dismiss or belittle the fact that there are extremely likely consequences to going all-in.

There's a theory according to which you can build your team cyclically: Go all-in, then blow up the cap, suck for a year or two and then simply rebound for another all-in try using the high picks that come with the sucky years. It's a simple theory, seems like a logical theory, and more than that, it's a fun theory. If it actually worker, you'd either have Super Bowl -level teams or super sucky teams with fun off-seasons with high draft picks and entertaining witch hunts of coaches to blame. None of the boredom that comes with mediocrity or constant success. It's fantastic!

Until you consider that even top 10 picks aren't automatic successes, and losing years tend to have wide-reaching consequences. You can easily end up in a spiral of firing coaches and FO people, which in turn leads to constant switching of systems and to a half-assed roster churn that can end up with the team never doing the rebounding to success -part... Only recommended for those who a) like mock drafts more than actual seasons, and b) those who love to watch a franchise burn.

Also, if it worked, teams would be doing it. No one is.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BSA wrote:

What does that have to do with going on all in? They suck bc they have nonstop whiffed at QB including passing Just this year on fields bc they still think Lock may be something. I think they have lots of talent outside of whiffing at qb, which will cripple any team.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Man that 2015 Broncos team was really good.

Their QB situation was terrible that year.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

The Broncos post Manning isn't a consequence of going "all in." It is a result of Elway failing to find a minimally competent let alone franchise QB.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
15 Jul 2021 10:41
BSA wrote:

Not all situations are similar, but I do hate it when people dismiss or belittle the fact that there are extremely likely consequences to going all-in.

There's a theory according to which you can build your team cyclically: Go all-in, then blow up the cap, suck for a year or two and then simply rebound for another all-in try using the high picks that come with the sucky years. It's a simple theory, seems like a logical theory, and more than that, it's a fun theory. If it actually worker, you'd either have Super Bowl -level teams or super sucky teams with fun off-seasons with high draft picks and entertaining witch hunts of coaches to blame. None of the boredom that comes with mediocrity or constant success. It's fantastic!

Until you consider that even top 10 picks aren't automatic successes, and losing years tend to have wide-reaching consequences. You can easily end up in a spiral of firing coaches and FO people, which in turn leads to constant switching of systems and to a half-assed roster churn that can end up with the team never doing the rebounding to success -part... Only recommended for those who a) like mock drafts more than actual seasons, and b) those who love to watch a franchise burn.

Also, if it worked, teams would be doing it. No one is.
spot on, thats why when I hear someone say tank for draft picks my first thought is we tanked for almost two decades, it didn't seem to help.
I think the point going all in is exaggerated, when a team is close to complete it would be foolish not to do all it could bringing in players it felt could get them over the top.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Right tackle getting PAID.

PFT:
Offensive tackle Taylor Moton has agreed to terms with the Panthers on a contract extension before the 4 p.m. ET deadline, the team announced. According to multiple reports, the deal is for four years and $72 million with $43 million guaranteed.

Moton was scheduled to play the 2021 season under the franchise tag at $13.754 million. He had quickly signed the franchise tender in March.

Carolina drafted Moton in the second round of the 2017 draft. While he appeared in all 16 games as a rookie, he’s started every contest over the last three seasons. In 2020, Moton played 100 percent of Carolina’s offensive snaps.

Moton’s new deal makes him one of the highest-paid right tackles in football, with an average annual value of $18 million. That matches New Orleans’ Ryan Ramczyk, who agreed to a five-year extension with the Saints late last month.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yikes, 18 for a right tackle?

I am very content with Turner at 7 per.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I still want to sign Richard Sherman after he gets well again

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

texas wrote:
15 Jul 2021 18:59
Why? Alexander and a 1st round CB. An overpaid god-awful CB in King but he’s paid already so uncuttable. Another rookie in SJC. Chandon Sullivan at nickel.

What does Sherman do for us other than our other resources to waste? I would say sure if we took Kings money and put it on Sherman but we decided to reward incompetency instead. A shame.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Jul 2021 21:33
texas wrote:
Why? Alexander and a 1st round CB. An overpaid god-awful CB in King but he’s paid already so uncuttable. Another rookie in SJC. Chandon Sullivan at nickel.

What does Sherman do for us other than our other resources to waste? I would say sure if we took Kings money and put it on Sherman but we decided to reward incompetency instead. A shame.
Sherman is not a good player at this point. He is having a hard time accepting this and that’s why he’s wanting to beat up his wife and father in law. I’m all for bringing in guys who are rough around the edges that are elite, but Sherman is washed. No thanks.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I don't know if he's actually not good anymore. CBs can have long shelf lives (and can also drop off the face of the earth). Both Tramon and Woodson should be proof enough that they can have solid years at older ages.

But the thing I like most about Sherman is his attitude and personality. He is sort of the opposite of the lovable loser Packers person mentality, and we need guys like that.

Here's hoping he gets the help he needs and is back next year- and a member of our team.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
15 Jul 2021 21:42
lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Jul 2021 21:33
texas wrote:

Sherman is not a good player at this point. He is having a hard time accepting this and that’s why he’s wanting to beat up his wife and father in law. I’m all for bringing in guys who are rough around the edges that are elite, but Sherman is washed. No thanks.
I don’t think that’s true at all. PFF ranked him at 89 is 2019 and 68 in 2020 despite the team around him being decimated by injury.

Sherman still has something left to offer but he has to be on a team that would suit his skill set. I do believe he could fit here in terms of scheme and personnel but it doesn’t make sense to use resources we don’t have considering we dumped resources in the position.

I would much rather have Sherman at Kings price than King. That is without a doubt. In my opinion King should be paying us to stay in the league. That’s how bad that dude is. Should be a homeless bum smoking a crack pipe from that massive gap he has in his stupid teeth on his stupid face.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

image.png
image.png (55.45 KiB) Viewed 257 times
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Love me some Jennings and Driver, but they don’t belong in the same company here, lol.

I think 8 of the other 10 are or will be in the HOF.

They never put up the elite season together, but Jordy and Davante could/should have been better.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
16 Jul 2021 07:45
Love me some Jennings and Driver, but they don’t belong in the same company here, lol.

I think 8 of the other 10 are or will be in the HOF.

They never put up the elite season together, but Jordy and Davante could/should have been better.

It’s tough, but if you look at their talent/production at the time they were duos, it’s Harrison and Wayne for me. Bruce and Holt maybe 2nd place or Carter and Moss right up there too.

Read More. Post Less.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

WR Jeff Graham and WR Curtis Conway (2000)

:lombardi:

:hide:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

When you look at the crap at QB that Moss and Carter played with and still were unstoppable...

is this even a question?
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
16 Jul 2021 10:34
When you look at the crap at QB that Moss and Carter played with and still were unstoppable...

is this even a question?
Definitely a question, already many different answers.

Other duo's I've thought of, Julio and Roddy White, Moss and Welker, Ward and Buress, Thielen and Diggs, OchoCinco and Houshmandzadeh, Andre Reed James Lofton, Duper and Clayton, Clark and Monk (Just mostly listing Tecmo Super Bowl stacked WR teams), Tim Brown and Jerry Rice.

Today I'd prolly give #1 to Julio and AJ Brown, #2 Evans and Godwin ...... I think a gap

Lockett and Metcalf, AJ Green and Deandre Hopkins, Landry and Beckham, Thielen and Jefferson in some order.