Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Still engaged in the important things in life, I see...

But also, LOL.

Read More. Post Less.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

NCF wrote:
15 Jul 2021 10:38
Still engaged in the important things in life, I see...

But also, LOL.

It's all for mental health.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Whats up with the “saying something and follow it by a pound sign” after every tweet haha
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

go pak go wrote:
14 Jul 2021 12:25
I mean based on Schefter, this isn't likely repairable. So I continue to stand with "Rodgers will play in 2021 in GB but then likely end the relationship after the season"

He wants GB to cut him or trade or whatever. Just acting pesky to try to get them to cut ties. If it were up to him I don't think he'd be in a Packers uniform this season. So yeah, I don't think it's gonna be a great season for us for this reason. He's not going to leave it all on the field- he'll be thinking about staying healthy for his next team. Purely from an optics standpoint I'd like to see the Packers deal him out ASAP, though that probably is not the best business decision. I'd rather see a raw and determined Love out there playing for his life than endure another season of AR's weird attitude.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Captain_Ben wrote:
15 Jul 2021 12:46
go pak go wrote:
14 Jul 2021 12:25
I mean based on Schefter, this isn't likely repairable. So I continue to stand with "Rodgers will play in 2021 in GB but then likely end the relationship after the season"

He wants GB to cut him or trade or whatever. Just acting pesky to try to get them to cut ties. If it were up to him I don't think he'd be in a Packers uniform this season. So yeah, I don't think it's gonna be a great season for us for this reason. He's not going to leave it all on the field- he'll be thinking about staying healthy for his next team. Purely from an optics standpoint I'd like to see the Packers deal him out ASAP, though that probably is not the best business decision. I'd rather see a raw and determined Love out there playing for his life than endure another season of AR's weird attitude.
Me too.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Captain_Ben wrote:

I see AR playing like he did in 2018 when he was trying to get MM fired. The funny thing is, when you are playing not to get injured is usually when you do get injured.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I just don’t see him being an intentional bum when he comes back just bc of how much he has to lose doing that. Firstly, his own legacy is at stake. 4 MVPs put him in the rarest of air, second: the team has a chance to be very good, if he’s on the field , why would he not sieze that opportunity, he knows what it would mean for his legacy. Third: He claims to love the guys in the locker room like Adams and Bahk, I doubt he’d sabotage their year, or they would allow him too. Finally, he claims he has no beef with the coach, why would he sabotage the good young coach? I think if he comes back, he’s all the way back...and his goal will be to win another MVP and make Gute look dumb as he tries to trade him.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

wallyuwl wrote:
16 Jul 2021 08:01
Captain_Ben wrote:

I see AR playing like he did in 2018 when he was trying to get MM fired. The funny thing is, when you are playing not to get injured is usually when you do get injured.
I may be in the minority with this, but I don’t think Rodgers sandbagged anything in 2018. I think he about destroyed his knee against Chicago, came back on drugs and won the game, then spent the rest of the year hardly practicing at all and trying not to get hit. At that point in his career, he was still somewhat of a Houdini. Then, that aspect got stripped of him and he started throwing the ball away early to avoid getting hit bc he couldn’t extend plays. Also, after missing a lot of the year before, and then not practicing hardly at all in ‘18, and having a pretty new WR room, i simply think all those things made his play decline.

He tried to get MM fired by his body language, and press conference comments..i think his play on the field was just due to knee injury and no practice time.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Jul 2021 08:27
I may be in the minority with this, but I don’t think Rodgers sandbagged anything in 2018. I think he about destroyed his knee against Chicago, came back on drugs and won the game, then spent the rest of the year hardly practicing at all and trying not to get hit. At that point in his career, he was still somewhat of a Houdini. Then, that aspect got stripped of him and he started throwing the ball away early to avoid getting hit bc he couldn’t extend plays. Also, after missing a lot of the year before, and then not practicing hardly at all in ‘18, and having a pretty new WR room, i simply think all those things made his play decline.

He tried to get MM fired by his body language, and press conference comments..i think his play on the field was just due to knee injury and no practice time.
I like this take.

I have long argued against "Rodgers played poorly on purpose" because it makes no sense to me that someone that competitive would do that, or that his teammates would not be able to tell and would not call him out/hate him for it.

But given how people are responding to how he might pay/act if he returns this year, the "he tanked his coach with intentionally poor play in 2018" narrative seems to have gone from longshot conspiracy theory to more widely-accepted. I appreciate your thoughtful push back against it.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Jul 2021 08:33
Drj820 wrote:
16 Jul 2021 08:27

I like this take.

I have long argued against "Rodgers played poorly on purpose" because it makes no sense to me that someone that competitive would do that, or that his teammates would not be able to tell and would not call him out/hate him for it.

But given how people are responding to how he might pay/act if he returns this year, the "he tanked his coach with intentionally poor play in 2018" narrative seems to have gone from longshot conspiracy theory to more widely-accepted. I appreciate your thoughtful push back against it.
Thanks, you can even drill one step further and his poor play makes even more sense. We had just made the switch at GM bc everyone recognized the team talent level had hit a low, plus look at who his WRs were that year...

Adams, Cobb, and then the new rookies...EQ, MVS, Davis, Jmon Moore, oh and Geronimo...I mean am i supposed to be surprised a guy on one leg who hadnt practiced in two years saw his level of play decline when throwing to that crew?

I think the narrative that his play on the field was bad to get MM fired is lazy, and his decline is easily explainable if you take one look behind the curtain.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

come on now, he let his team mates and fans down by not throwing to open and check down receivers in multiple games with the sole intent to get McCarthy fired, I thought we had established this 3 years ago :rotf: when I brought that up it was mostly a joke based solely on appearance, and the flack Rodgers was getting for extending plays, and not playing up to past ability, people took me seriously though, and some still do, he never liked giving up on the big chunk plays for a short check down, but I'd never accuse him of not trying to win ever, but that is how some here took my comments.

and there probably the same people that now think Rodgers will come back and give less then 100% effort.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Jul 2021 08:16
I just don’t see him being an intentional bum when he comes back just bc of how much he has to lose doing that. Firstly, his own legacy is at stake. 4 MVPs put him in the rarest of air, second: the team has a chance to be very good, if he’s on the field , why would he not sieze that opportunity, he knows what it would mean for his legacy. Third: He claims to love the guys in the locker room like Adams and Bahk, I doubt he’d sabotage their year, or they would allow him too. Finally, he claims he has no beef with the coach, why would he sabotage the good young coach? I think if he comes back, he’s all the way back...and his goal will be to win another MVP and make Gute look dumb as he tries to trade him.
If he knows his time is up in GB after this season and that he'll be hitting the market next offseason, he'd probably handle certain situations differently. Maybe throw it away on that 3rd down instead of taking the smack from an incoming defensive end. He has said that he wants to play into his 40's.

I'm not able to sit here and pretend that I know how the guy's mind works, but an increased focus on longevity in his circumstance would make sense to me.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Captain_Ben wrote:
16 Jul 2021 09:22
Drj820 wrote:
16 Jul 2021 08:16
If he knows his time is up in GB after this season and that he'll be hitting the market next offseason, he'd probably handle certain situations differently. Maybe throw it away on that 3rd down instead of taking the smack from an incoming defensive end. He has said that he wants to play into his 40's.

I'm not able to sit here and pretend that I know how the guy's mind works, but an increased focus on longevity in his circumstance would make sense to me.
I think at age 38 any QB should have an increased focus on longevity if they plan to play into their 40s, whether they want to change teams or not. Avoiding a smack from a DE is the smart move for any aging QB.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
16 Jul 2021 09:13
come on now, he let his team mates and fans down by not throwing to open and check down receivers in multiple games with the sole intent to get McCarthy fired, I thought we had established this 3 years ago :rotf: when I brought that up it was mostly a joke based solely on appearance, and the flack Rodgers was getting for extending plays, and not playing up to past ability, people took me seriously though, and some still do, he never liked giving up on the big chunk plays for a short check down, but I'd never accuse him of not trying to win ever, but that is how some here took my comments.

and there probably the same people that now think Rodgers will come back and give less then 100% effort.
OUR BIGGEST DISAGREEMENT OVER THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS WAS A JOKE???

Honestly this makes me feel better

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Jul 2021 09:41
Yoop wrote:

A+ Troll Tbh

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I still think he wanted McCarthy to make changes prior or during the 017 season, and wanted a new coach to start the 018 season, and as DR.J said his body language spoke to that, He and McCarthy hardly spoke to each other during games, both looked frustrated with each other, finally Murphy fired him, Rodgers never to my knowledge said a bad thing about Mac, all I ever heard was we need to do more Running, and adjust our passing schemes.

now he may have been upset that the FO didn't consult him with the Lafluer hire, but it's my belief the schemes Lafluer Brought are along the lines of what Rodgers was hoping McCarthy would install several years prior.

why you would think I thought Rodgers would purposely play poorly is beyond my comprehension, my comments where a direct response to opinions that Rodgers eye sight had went bad and he didn't see open check down receivers, cripes Stevie Wonder would have seen those guys, Rodgers simply wanted more yards then those receivers would have provided.

I called him our HERO and meant it when his attitude got McCarthy fired, Mac should have been let go the same year as Capers, and Ted, Murphy pro longed the inevitable by giving Mac another season.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I mean the offense sputtered in 2015. The offense sputtered in 2016 until Jared Cook came back for that final run. The offense honestly sputtered in 2017 (I remember that Bengals game...yikes). The offense sputtered in 2018, but it finally was able to come full reality because we didn't have bail out hail mary plays (hello 2015 and 2016) and didn't have Rodgers out for 12 games with giant comebacks to hide that the Packers were struggling (hello 2017).

The 2016 offense was quite talented and had safety blankets with Nelson and Rodgers really liked Cook in December and January. So our 3rd and long bailout plays were still a thing with the "come back to Aaron on the Back shoulder throw" and move the chains.

I don't think Rodgers intentionally stunk in 2018 to get a coach fired, but instead our offense was figured out in 2015 and neither Rodgers or McCoach changed their play designs/play style.

None of that change happened until 2020.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Jul 2021 09:51
YoHoChecko wrote:
Yoop wrote:

A+ Troll Tbh
:rotf:

In internet slang, a troll is a person who posts inflammatory, insincere, digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.), a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog), with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses, or ...

Guilty as charged :lol:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
16 Jul 2021 10:21

why you would think I thought Rodgers would purposely play poorly is beyond my comprehension, my comments where a direct response to opinions that Rodgers eye sight had went bad and he didn't see open check down receivers, cripes Stevie Wonder would have seen those guys, Rodgers simply wanted more yards then those receivers would have provided.

I called him our HERO and meant it when his attitude got McCarthy fired, Mac should have been let go the same year as Capers, and Ted, Murphy pro longed the inevitable by giving Mac another season.
Words matter Yoop. When you say things like, "I believe Rodgers purposely played poorly to get McCarthy fired...." and then double, triple, quadruple down on that statement and call people names when they disagree, etc.

...can't be surprised that the entire forum thinks you that that Rodgers purposely played poorly to get MM fired.

If you truly never felt that Rodgers played poorly intentionally, you should probably re-look at how you word things so your message gets interpreted correctly moving forward.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Something I find off is that if Rodgers was really so against Mcarthy and his schemes, why did he insist on keeping so much of them in 2019? Remember the whole debate on whether they would run Rodgers O or Lafleurs O and they seemed to create a compromise week to week?

(side note, Rodgers insistence on keeping some of Mcarthys stuff and not going full Lafleur conversion is probably a reason Love got drafted...Any coach wants to implement their stuff and have a QB that will run it)

But doesnt that just show that although there was plenty of stuff Rodgers may not have liked, it wasnt all hate. He couldnt let some of it go, for a while, or until someone was behind them that would run exactly what Lafleur wants to run.