Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
18 Jul 2021 12:07
Of course he could be having it cleaned to put it on the market.

:hide:
Yes, he could be putting it on the market.

And there is no guarantee that the FO has told him what they plan to do, trade him or play him

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
18 Jul 2021 20:07
Rodgers, all he wants is to be in a winning situation for the few years he has left, after the drafting of Love he doesn't think that will happen here, I didn't either.
The math didn't change from Rodgers's perspective when we drafted Love. Or at least not materially.

Rodgers had 4 years on his deal prior to the 2020 Draft. The Drafting of Love potentially moved that clock from 4 years to 3 years.

3 years of being in a winning situation. That is still a long time. Plus, Rodgers then gets the opportunity to do a Peyton Manning and Tom Brady after that 4th year which worked out well for both of them.

The biggest thing that might be forcing the Rodgers situation is Covid and the suppressed cap. The suppressed cap will force a move before anything else.

But honestly when you look at it from an objective perspective:

1. Rodgers 2020 roster is the best or at the best he has ever had
2. Rodgers 2021 roster is nearly identical to the 2020 roster

3. Rodgers looks to be forcing his hand out of GB for 2022 because of his decision
4. Rodgers gets a fresh start in 2024 for that last gasp to choose a team primed for another 1 to 2 years

Seriously. Rodgers is in a great, great situation. He may have to suffer being in a place he doesn't want to exactly be in 2022 and 2023 but that is also on him. His behavior this offseason likely pushed his time of GB in 22 rather than 23.

Rodgers is fine. He is in a great situation. As long as he produces and plays well, the end of his career could be very good for him.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
Rodgers, all he wants is to be in a winning situation for the few years he has left, after the drafting of Love he doesn't think that will happen here, I didn't either.
How exactly did the Packers place him in a non-winning situation?

Last year's results say the opposite. They were the no.1 seed in the NFC and were on the doorstep of the SB. This year, Vegas and any reputable NFL pundit site says this year would be very similar assuming Rodgers plays.

So how is Rodgers no longer in a winning situation? Other than Rodgers himself negatively impacting things, that is.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
19 Jul 2021 07:10
Yoop wrote:
The math didn't change from Rodgers's perspective when we drafted Love. Or at least not materially.

Rodgers had 4 years on his deal prior to the 2020 Draft. The Drafting of Love potentially moved that clock from 4 years to 3 years.

3 years of being in a winning situation. That is still a long time. Plus, Rodgers then gets the opportunity to do a Peyton Manning and Tom Brady after that 4th year which worked out well for both of them.

The biggest thing that might be forcing the Rodgers situation is Covid and the suppressed cap. The suppressed cap will force a move before anything else.

But honestly when you look at it from an objective perspective:

1. Rodgers 2020 roster is the best or at the best he has ever had
2. Rodgers 2021 roster is nearly identical to the 2020 roster

3. Rodgers looks to be forcing his hand out of GB for 2022 because of his decision
4. Rodgers gets a fresh start in 2024 for that last gasp to choose a team primed for another 1 to 2 years

Seriously. Rodgers is in a great, great situation. He may have to suffer being in a place he doesn't want to exactly be in 2022 and 2023 but that is also on him. His behavior this offseason likely pushed his time of GB in 22 rather than 23.

Rodgers is fine. He is in a great situation. As long as he produces and plays well, the end of his career could be very good for him.
covid lengthened the prep time needed to get Love ready so that Guty could trade Rodgers as soon as possible, which now is likely this coming off season, he didnt want to play his last gasp years else where, and the only thing you have to go on that he would be here in 2023 is the word of the guy who drafted his replacement 1 year after giving him the extension.

It is Rodgers fault, he wanted the extension, he was a fool to trust Guty to let him finish his career here even if he's the best person for the job, sure I expect he'll play, and play well, He wants to be attractive for the teams that will bid for him next off season.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
19 Jul 2021 07:55
Yoop wrote:

Last year's results say the opposite. They were the no.1 seed in the NFC and were on the doorstep of the SB. This year, Vegas and any reputable NFL pundit site says this year would be very similar assuming Rodgers plays.

So how is Rodgers no longer in a winning situation? Other than Rodgers himself negatively impacting things, that is.
didn't say it that way, point is Rodgers future is dependent on the ability of Love to manage this team, and it's debatable that he would actually be better then Rodgers, Guty didn't draft Love to sit for 3 or 4 years.
with Rodgers the Packers are rated 6th seed, without, not even close, we should all be happy the players union caved and players like Rodgers can no longer sit a year, voiding there contract and become free to do what they wish.

his future is not a winning situation, the Packers intend to use Rodgers till Love can take over, which minus covid could have even been last year, and very likely this one, minus Rodgers rebuke this last off season, whats beyond obvious is that Rodgers feels stabbed in the back with Guty drafting Love one year after he got what appeared to be a career length extension.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
19 Jul 2021 08:19
whats beyond obvious is that Rodgers feels stabbed in the back with Guty drafting Love one year after he got what appeared to be a career length extension.
I have seen you say this a few times. Let's be very clear here, it was 2 years... not 1. Doesn't change much in the grand scheme of things, but just to be factually correct.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:
Yoop wrote:

didn't say it that way, point is Rodgers future is dependent on the ability of Love to manage this team, and it's debatable that he would actually be better then Rodgers, Guty didn't draft Love to sit for 3 or 4 years.
with Rodgers the Packers are rated 6th seed, without, not even close, we should all be happy the players union caved and players like Rodgers can no longer sit a year, voiding there contract and become free to do what they wish.

his future is not a winning situation, the Packers intend to use Rodgers till Love can take over, which minus covid could have even been last year, and very likely this one, minus Rodgers rebuke this last off season, whats beyond obvious is that Rodgers feels stabbed in the back with Guty drafting Love one year after he got what appeared to be a career length extension.
hoofta.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
19 Jul 2021 08:23
Yoop wrote:
whats beyond obvious is that Rodgers feels stabbed in the back with Guty drafting Love one year after he got what appeared to be a career length extension.
I have seen you say this a few times. Let's be very clear here, it was 2 years... not 1. Doesn't change much in the grand scheme of things, but just to be factually correct.
your right, I should say 1 year and 8 months.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:
Yoop wrote:

:dunno:

I honestly don't even know what you're trying to say here as it relates to my previous post. What the hell does Love's play have to do with Rodgers being in a "winning situation"?

I'll tell you what's beyond obvious - it is your inability to comprehend and/or accept what is reality with the way today's NFL contracts work.

Rodgers can't sign a deal accepting huge up-front money ($57.5 mil signing bonus, $98.7 fully guaranteed) - all enormously advantageous to the player - and then whine while doubling back on the same contract when value leverage - be it to keep him or trade him - shifts back to the team. It simply doesn't work that way whether you (or Rodgers) like it or not.

It is the way the CBA defined these contracts and was agreed upon by management AND players. Whining about it with the same debunked arguments over 117 pages won't change that FACT.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

What's Rodgers' alleged beef? If he is better than Love, then he plays. If he is not better than Love, then he doesn't play. Is that controversial?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

dsr wrote:
19 Jul 2021 12:09
What's Rodgers' alleged beef? If he is better than Love, then he plays. If he is not better than Love, then he doesn't play. Is that controversial?
Dont be so shortsighted and naive. Im not trying to be rude but youve got to look at this from the perspective of Rodgers and not the fan. Rodgers is clearly better now. He might clearly be better for the rest of his career. No matter how well Rodgers plays when the Packers think Love is ready Rodgers is gone.

Imagine it in your own company or where ever you work. You have worked your ass off to climb to the top of your organizations ladder and are being paid accordingly. Your company goes out and hires a younger and cheaper person at the same position as you and is grooming that person for your exact job and you know it isnt to divide the workload. Youre getting cut. Youll get the severance package and youll be able to go work somewhere else with a nice resume but ultimately the legacy you built at your company just got &%$@ on by the organization trying to save some money.

When this happens in cooperate America (and it does all the $%@# time) we &%$@ on those companies for being dirtbag, money hungry $%@# boys.

When the Packers do it you people all homer up and defend the team like theyre doing some great service. Ive said it over and over but Packers fans will defend the hell out of some downright terrible players. I remember telling people they could stop being so fake after Randall finally got traded and people still tried to tell me he was talented. Justin Harrell every year was gonna "bust out." Kevin King is just the most recent.

But when it comes time to defend a QB who has literally carried this team for a very long time with rosters that shouldnt have been able to compete the fans spit on him. Sad really.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I don't disagree with lupe's perception of what is happening... I just don't care. Boo $%@# hoo. Play like an MVP anyway as long as you are here and as long as they will have you. I do not understand what is being accomplished by sulking and crying about it.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
19 Jul 2021 13:32
I don't disagree with lupe's perception of what is happening... I just don't care. Boo $%@# hoo. Play like an MVP anyway as long as you are here and as long as they will have you. I do not understand what is being accomplished by sulking and crying about it.
you don't care because your not in his shoes, same with APB and the rest of you who only care that he plays and gives us a chance to win, if Love was ready you'd dump Rodgers to the team that could return the best compensation and to hell with Rodgers.

I could give two &%$@ about Love, I would extend Rodgers till 2025, guarantee each year with the cavet he has to win the starting job, Love could ride pine till hell freezes over for all I care, we should have never drafted him in the first place, and allowed Rodgers to finish the contract Murphy gave him.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
19 Jul 2021 14:15
NCF wrote:
19 Jul 2021 13:32
you don't care because your not in his shoes, same with APB and the rest of you who only care that he plays and gives us a chance to win, if Love was ready you'd dump Rodgers to the team that could return the best compensation and to hell with Rodgers.

I could give two &%$@ about Love, I would extend Rodgers till 2025, guarantee each year with the cavet he has to win the starting job, Love could ride pine till hell freezes over for all I care, we should have never drafted him in the first place, and allowed Rodgers to finish the contract Murphy gave him.
If it makes you feel better, my solution is still that based on last year, we should flat out commit to him for 3 more seasons and an out after that in case the ole age bug catches up with him. I'm even fine with trading Love for probably less than we gave up for him and just saying "whoops we missed on that decision".

But on the flip side, I still don't like how Rodgers is carrying himself. That's my big gripe. Look at another WI like Giannis and it's easy to appreciate how he carries himself compared to how Rodgers is.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
19 Jul 2021 14:15
you don't care because your not in his shoes
Neither are you. As Packers fans, shouldn't we want what is best for the team and not individual players?

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

oh I absolutely hate [mention]lupedafiasco[/mention]'s assessment of what's happening here.

First of all, this ISN'T the corporate world. Professional athletics have a business side, obviously, but they are structured far differently with different rules, incentives, and power dynamics in play. For instance, name a corporate example outside of sports where top employees are paid 5-10x their bosses.

That said, in the corporate world, companies have succession plans for their C-suite and management teams all the time. People are asked to help groom their successors all the time. People are hired based on long-term talent and moved up the ladder quickly all the time. And that isn't the money-grubbing "anything to save a buck" side of the corporate world. That's the "responsible companies have a duty to retain their resilience and have options in the event of any likely circumstance."

It's common sense to have a succession plan in place for key members of any organization, and especially in sports and especially with positions or roles that typically take on-the-job experience to enable one to excel; teams often have succession plans for GMs, coaches, QBs, all sorts of things. It's absolute basic common sense.

And as I've said a million times over, drafting Jordan Love only spells the end for Rodgers if Jordan Love becomes capable of playing at a high level, which is like a 60-40 chance at best. Jordan Love only spells the end for Rodgers if Jordan Love looks too good to let go of or if Rodgers looks too expensive to keep (which would mean a decline in his play, as well).

There's simply nothing to the notion that "when this happens in the corporate world we call them greedy money grubbers." Maybe some actually do, but that would only show a naivety about how the world works there, too.

And furthermore, back to the "this isn't the corporate world" train of thought, there is ZERO contradiction between someone who roots for labor and the little guy and blue collar workers over management 99% of time in their life and not feeling the need or desire to protect the feelings of a multi-millionaire star player who gave up $500,000 in workout bonus and possible $93,000 in fines just because he was in a bad mood and doesn't like his bosses anymore. Because he feels like the highest salary cap number in the league by a clean $5 million doesn't show him enough respect. Because he feels like a public apology and an offseason of asking him to come back in public isn't paying him enough homage. Because he manages to feel disrespected by the notion that other people doing their job might have a different vision of what's best for the organization than he does.

Stop trying to make this some sort of labor-management dispute to appeal to the blue collar working class Wisconsinites. Compared to Rodgers, Gutey is a mid-level employee getting absolutely bullied by the BMOC--the star QB--in public (someone leaked those Rodgers texts making fun of him, and it can only be someone Rodgers is close enough to have sent them to). This is a QB trying to make a power play over perceived slights and responsible succession planning because he doesn't want to have to continue to earn his place on the team; he thinks he's earned the choice to stay as long as he wants. And in sports, that's not how things have ever worked.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 19 Jul 2021 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 Jul 2021 14:35
oh I absolutely hate @lupedafiasco's assessment of what's happening here.
I agree with this (but, again, I say who cares):
lupedafiasco wrote:
19 Jul 2021 12:52
No matter how well Rodgers plays when the Packers think Love is ready Rodgers is gone.
The corporate America tie in and the unnecessary comparisons to mention Harrell, Randall, and King for the 8 billionth time, not so much.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
19 Jul 2021 14:44
YoHoChecko wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
No matter how well Rodgers plays when the Packers think Love is ready Rodgers is gone.
The corporate America tie in and the unnecessary comparisons to mention Harrell, Randall, and King for the 8 billionth time, not so much.
Here's the part I disagree with. It's IF, not WHEN.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
19 Jul 2021 14:44
YoHoChecko wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
I had to hear they were going to be studs 8 billions times. I’m just trying to even the score.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
19 Jul 2021 11:22
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

:dunno:

I honestly don't even know what you're trying to say here as it relates to my previous post. What the hell does Love's play have to do with Rodgers being in a "winning situation"?

I'll tell you what's beyond obvious - it is your inability to comprehend and/or accept what is reality with the way today's NFL contracts work.

Rodgers can't sign a deal accepting huge up-front money ($57.5 mil signing bonus, $98.7 fully guaranteed) - all enormously advantageous to the player - and then whine while doubling back on the same contract when value leverage - be it to keep him or trade him - shifts back to the team. It simply doesn't work that way whether you (or Rodgers) like it or not.

It is the way the CBA defined these contracts and was agreed upon by management AND players. Whining about it with the same debunked arguments over 117 pages won't change that FACT.
Rodgers didn't agree with this contract, in fact this contract barely passed, most of the older vets voted NO

and Rodgers length of contract is dictated by Loves ability to simply manage a game, as soon as he can Rodgers is gone, thats why he's pissing a fit and wants to be traded now.

not to get personal here but why did you get out of the military with 26 years, it's my assumption that staying in for 30 years would have jumped your pension a lot, I further assume you where mustard out 4 years early because the military, was concerned with resources, I might be wrong, and I'am not trying to insult you, but that was how it worked when I was in and it happens in the civilian job market regularly.

you shouldn't be baffled with these issues, Rodgers has always wanted and hoped to retire a Packer, and as Lupe just said, he finally has a team again capable of winning it all, except the FO for all appearance wont let him, unless of course your a person that believe Murphy when he said we want him this year and BEYOND, I never did, but thats me