Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 Jul 2021 14:35
oh I absolutely hate @lupedafiasco's assessment of what's happening here.

First of all, this ISN'T the corporate world. Professional athletics have a business side, obviously, but they are structured far differently with different rules, incentives, and power dynamics in play. For instance, name a corporate example outside of sports where top employees are paid 5-10x their bosses.

That said, in the corporate world, companies have succession plans for their C-suite and management teams all the time. People are asked to help groom their successors all the time. People are hired based on long-term talent and moved up the ladder quickly all the time. And that isn't the money-grubbing "anything to save a buck" side of the corporate world. That's the "responsible companies have a duty to retain their resilience and have options in the event of any likely circumstance."

It's common sense to have a succession plan in place for key members of any organization, and especially in sports and especially with positions or roles that typically take on-the-job experience to enable one to excel; teams often have succession plans for GMs, coaches, QBs, all sorts of things. It's absolute basic common sense.

And as I've said a million times over, drafting Jordan Love only spells the end for Rodgers if Jordan Love becomes capable of playing at a high level, which is like a 60-40 chance at best. Jordan Love only spells the end for Rodgers if Jordan Love looks too good to let go of or if Rodgers looks too expensive to keep (which would mean a decline in his play, as well).

There's simply nothing to the notion that "when this happens in the corporate world we call them greedy money grubbers." Maybe some actually do, but that would only show a naivety about how the world works there, too.

And furthermore, back to the "this isn't the corporate world" train of thought, there is ZERO contradiction between someone who roots for labor and the little guy and blue collar workers over management 99% of time in their life and not feeling the need or desire to protect the feelings of a multi-millionaire star player who gave up $500,000 in workout bonus and possible $93,000 in fines just because he was in a bad mood and doesn't like his bosses anymore. Because he feels like the highest salary cap number in the league by a clean $5 million doesn't show him enough respect. Because he feels like a public apology and an offseason of asking him to come back in public isn't paying him enough homage. Because he manages to feel disrespected by the notion that other people doing their job might have a different vision of what's best for the organization than he does.

Stop trying to make this some sort of labor-management dispute to appeal to the blue collar working class Wisconsinites. Compared to Rodgers, Gutey is a mid-level employee getting absolutely bullied by the BMOC--the star QB--in public (someone leaked those Rodgers texts making fun of him, and it can only be someone Rodgers is close enough to have sent them to). This is a QB trying to make a power play over perceived slights and responsible succession planning because he doesn't want to have to continue to earn his place on the team; he thinks he's earned the choice to stay as long as he wants. And in sports, that's not how things have ever worked.
:clap: :clap:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:

First of all, this ISN'T the corporate world. Professional athletics have a business side, obviously, but they are structured far differently with different rules, incentives, and power dynamics in play. For instance, name a corporate example outside of sports where top employees are paid 5-10x their bosses.

That said, in the corporate world, companies have succession plans for their C-suite and management teams all the time. People are asked to help groom their successors all the time. People are hired based on long-term talent and moved up the ladder quickly all the time. And that isn't the money-grubbing "anything to save a buck" side of the corporate world. That's the "responsible companies have a duty to retain their resilience and have options in the event of any likely circumstance."

It's common sense to have a succession plan in place for key members of any organization, and especially in sports and especially with positions or roles that typically take on-the-job experience to enable one to excel; teams often have succession plans for GMs, coaches, QBs, all sorts of things. It's absolute basic common sense.

And as I've said a million times over, drafting Jordan Love only spells the end for Rodgers if Jordan Love becomes capable of playing at a high level, which is like a 60-40 chance at best. Jordan Love only spells the end for Rodgers if Jordan Love looks too good to let go of or if Rodgers looks too expensive to keep (which would mean a decline in his play, as well).

There's simply nothing to the notion that "when this happens in the corporate world we call them greedy money grubbers." Maybe some actually do, but that would only show a naivety about how the world works there, too.

And furthermore, back to the "this isn't the corporate world" train of thought, there is ZERO contradiction between someone who roots for labor and the little guy and blue collar workers over management 99% of time in their life and not feeling the need or desire to protect the feelings of a multi-millionaire star player who gave up $500,000 in workout bonus and possible $93,000 in fines just because he was in a bad mood and doesn't like his bosses anymore. Because he feels like the highest salary cap number in the league by a clean $5 million doesn't show him enough respect. Because he feels like a public apology and an offseason of asking him to come back in public isn't paying him enough homage. Because he manages to feel disrespected by the notion that other people doing their job might have a different vision of what's best for the organization than he does.

Stop trying to make this some sort of labor-management dispute to appeal to the blue collar working class Wisconsinites. Compared to Rodgers, Gutey is a mid-level employee getting absolutely bullied by the BMOC--the star QB--in public (someone leaked those Rodgers texts making fun of him, and it can only be someone Rodgers is close enough to have sent them to). This is a QB trying to make a power play over perceived slights and responsible succession planning because he doesn't want to have to continue to earn his place on the team; he thinks he's earned the choice to stay as long as he wants. And in sports, that's not how things have ever worked.
:hail:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
19 Jul 2021 14:27
Yoop wrote:
19 Jul 2021 14:15
you don't care because your not in his shoes
Neither are you. As Packers fans, shouldn't we want what is best for the team and not individual players?
absolutely, thats why I want the FO to stick with Rodgers, and like Rodgers I don't believe thats the plan, everyone acts as though Rodgers is acting this way with no good reason, obviously he doesn't trust Guty and Murphy to allow him to finish his contract here, I don't either.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
19 Jul 2021 14:59
NCF wrote:
19 Jul 2021 14:44
YoHoChecko wrote:
I agree with this (but, again, I say who cares):
lupedafiasco wrote:
19 Jul 2021 12:52
No matter how well Rodgers plays when the Packers think Love is ready Rodgers is gone.
The corporate America tie in and the unnecessary comparisons to mention Harrell, Randall, and King for the 8 billionth time, not so much.
I had to hear they were going to be studs 8 billions times. I’m just trying to even the score.
who said they where going to be studs? people simply thought King and Randal where better then you felt or expressed them to be, for instance you said Randal was trash, I said he was the best CB on our team one season, and he was, same with King, he may not be a stud, but he isn't trash either, Harrel was always hurt, prior to the injury bug he had played like a stud.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I actually think the Packers training staff f*cked up Justin Harrell.

I do think Randle was trash and was a terrible draft pick on so many levels. Espcially when the obvious choice of Erik Kendricks was right there.

Kevin King is an okay 2nd CB who had just a terrible, terrible game. I don't think he's trash. I don't think he is worth a valuable 2nd contract.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
19 Jul 2021 15:54
I actually think the Packers training staff f*cked up Justin Harrell.

I do think Randle was trash and was a terrible draft pick on so many levels. Espcially when the obvious choice of Erik Kendricks was right there.

Kevin King is an okay 2nd CB who had just a terrible, terrible game. I don't think he's trash. I don't think he is worth a valuable 2nd contract.
Randal was deemed the best DB left in the class, and CB position was also considered the higher priority position, as a GM that didn't like to buy players with UFA the draft was TEds way of fixing need position, and we despertly needed CB's and took two, most GM's would have done the same, your using hind sight with Kendricks a bit, without looking, memory says they where both closely rated, for whatever that means, the ratings from college don't always translate the same in the pros.

We brought back Williams for insurance with King and Sullivan, yet both stink the joint up and Williams never leaves the bench, anyway KIng has a injury excuse and gets another year, but he'll have to do a lot better to get another deal, if Stokes smokes in PS games KIng could be trade bait.

as fans we think BPA, but I don't think GM's can think that way, not every season anyway, there are priority positions a defense or offense can't win without, a GM that neglects to fix them with ready to play talent isn't helping his team, if you lack CB's and pass rushers on defense you might as well just stay home, last time we spent a 1st on a ILB was Hawk, Teds first draft, Ted went conservative, sorta, with a player he felt would be consistent if not spectaculer, and thats what Hawk became.

lots of us liked Kendricks, but practicality was against him.

lots of rumors concerning Harrell, if he was medically cleared to practice then it's debatable if the trainer is responsible, but who knows for sure.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Imagine it in your own company or where ever you work. You have worked your ass off to climb to the top of your organizations ladder and are being paid accordingly. Your company goes out and hires a younger and cheaper person at the same position as you and is grooming that person for your exact job and you know it isnt to divide the workload.
Would fricken love it if my company would do that. Sick of knowing someone is gunna leave or retire and they do nothing. Don’t even post the job opening for like 3-6 months, then have to wait another 3-6 months for that person to finally start. Then they don’t know what their doing for a year anyways.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

How could we draft Harrell, it was known he had injuries?

Why didn’t we draft TJ Watt?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote: not to get personal here...
..but then you proceed to ask questions of me that do just that. :roll:
Yoop wrote:but why did you get out of the military with 26 years, it's my assumption that staying in for 30 years would have jumped your pension a lot,
Your assumption is wrong.
Yoop wrote: I further assume you where mustard out 4 years early because the military, was concerned with resources,
Again, your assumption is wrong. Absolutely wrong.
Yoop wrote: I might be wrong, and I'am not trying to insult you, but that was how it worked when I was in and it happens in the civilian job market regularly.
And the trifecta...you are are indeed wrong. Again.

The funniest part of your whole post is the one time you’re right is when you suggest you might be wrong but then switch gears to a statement that is absolutely wrong. :lol: :rotf:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

[mention]YoHoChecko[/mention] - I’d give you two Lombardi’s for that post if I could. Absolutely nailed it.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
19 Jul 2021 17:40
lupedafiasco wrote:
Imagine it in your own company or where ever you work. You have worked your ass off to climb to the top of your organizations ladder and are being paid accordingly. Your company goes out and hires a younger and cheaper person at the same position as you and is grooming that person for your exact job and you know it isnt to divide the workload.
Would fricken love it if my company would do that. Sick of knowing someone is gunna leave or retire and they do nothing. Don’t even post the job opening for like 3-6 months, then have to wait another 3-6 months for that person to finally start. Then they don’t know what their doing for a year anyways.
I am being actively groomed by a company to take over and learn the CFO role. The current CFO likely has 3 years left or so.

My very job will be to learn everything about the company so I can take over for the current CFO when it is time.

The company who is trying to hire me is smart for succession planning.
Yoop wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote: Imagine it in your own company or where ever you work. You have worked your ass off to climb to the top of your organizations ladder and are being paid accordingly. Your company goes out and hires a younger and cheaper person at the same position as you and is grooming that person for your exact job and you know it isnt to divide the workload. Youre getting cut. Youll get the severance package and youll be able to go work somewhere else with a nice resume but ultimately the legacy you built at your company just got &%$@ on by the organization trying to save some money.
Lupe - do you think the Air Force doesn’t have an active succession plan for you? Your section leader? Your commander?

Succession plans are a part of every successful and responsible organization. It isn’t about &%$@ on individual employees, it’s about ensuring continued success for the collective beyond the loss of any one individual.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

People saying packers have done nothing wrong just have no sense.

Packers extended the guy who is the best QB ever with all the accolades. In the prime/twilight years of his career where he wants nothing more than to win. They then in his first year decide its time to rebuild.

Now you can say it isnt a rebuild, its a competitive team yadda yadda but the drafting of a third string QB first round, a third string RB second round and a full back in third round indicate that you are now building for the future. They should have told Rodgers that they are not going to be completely invested in winning and will look to rebuild.

He wouldnt sign the extension and would move on freely. Instead they lied to fit there agenda just like any corporate would and are hoping it puts a clock/expiration date on Rodgers career.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

go pak go wrote:
19 Jul 2021 18:15
BF004 wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
I am being actively groomed by a company to take over and learn the CFO role. The current CFO likely has 3 years left or so.

My very job will be to learn everything about the company so I can take over for the current CFO when it is time.

Does the current CFO know or is behind his/her back?

This would be different if before the extension packers said to Rodgers look in giving you this contract we have to tell you we may start rebuilding immediately etc. Rodgers would not have signed with the packers if he knew a rebuild was starting.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

bud fox wrote:
19 Jul 2021 18:34
I’ll agree. Just let me know when someone says anything close to that.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

BF004 wrote:
19 Jul 2021 18:42
bud fox wrote:
SO what does Rodgers do? Just suck it up and accept it?

What has Rodgers done wrong in your view? Complained?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
19 Jul 2021 18:06
nd the trifecta...you are are indeed wrong. Again.

The funniest part of your whole post is the one time you’re right is when you suggest you might be wrong but then switch gears to a statement that is absolutely wrong.
BS,this is why I rarely converse with you, you rarely give a straight answer, I know a bunch of service man that weren't allowed to get 20 years in, forced out early back in the 60's and 70's, a good friend in the Navy wasn't allowed to reinlist and like you had just shy of 30 years, so don't tell me it doesn't happen, the rest of your post isn't worth responding to.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

To me this has to have been a press/fans troll job by Rodgers that the team and other players are in on, to give him the offseason off so Love can get that experience of leading that Rodgers himself had, mislead everyone for the fun of it.

Because to accept the alternative, and that he really did make some sort of power play; I can't even, he can't be that dumb. Its just pure downside for him, the more downside he chooses the more collateral damage (organization/fans). This plan has had one fatal flaw from the beginning, what on earth is he trying to achieve? Can anyone identify the point? Why would you engage in a battle with no clear victory condition? On top of that, he has completely avoided facing the enemy head on.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

bud fox wrote:
19 Jul 2021 19:22
BF004 wrote:
19 Jul 2021 18:42
bud fox wrote:
SO what does Rodgers do? Just suck it up and accept it?

What has Rodgers done wrong in your view? Complained?
to me the worst thing he said was that he was getting his head right, :rotf: thats something ya don't want to hear after he sat out the rest of the off season gallavanting around the country with his new sweety all the while threatening to sit out the season, right, not much really. :lol:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
19 Jul 2021 18:39
go pak go wrote:
19 Jul 2021 18:15
BF004 wrote:

Does the current CFO know or is behind his/her back?

This would be different if before the extension packers said to Rodgers look in giving you this contract we have to tell you we may start rebuilding immediately etc. Rodgers would not have signed with the packers if he knew a rebuild was starting.
If BG knew that a good QB prospect would be available in a draft slot 2 years later...he deserves a raise.

Rebuild was starting. :roll: :rotf: seriously. rebuild.....that's what I think about when I think of the Packers 2019 - 2021
Yoop wrote: