Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Please tell me exactly how Aaron Rodgers has been disrespected.

This won't be answered, but it was worth a try.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Yoop wrote:
21 Jul 2021 08:40
dsr wrote:
20 Jul 2021 18:26
lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Jul 2021 14:05
I would say good management is good resource management. That has not been the case here. In fact it hasnt been on multiple accounts, not just this one. I would love to have a great backup QB who in time can be the perfect successor to Rodgers. What a perfect world that would be. Unfortunately in the real world you just took what was our best resource to get a quality player to develop and play on cheap contract years and threw it on the bench causing a massive rift between QB and management.
Just how many of these "perfect successors to Rodgers" do you think there are? Do you think they can look at the draft, think "he might be the perfect successor to Rodgers", and then decide not to draft him because there's bound to be another one available next year?
absolutely, QB's taken where Love was have a 75% bust rate, sure some where not coached up long enough, but the point is most where successful college QB's where the game is slower and less complicated, heres a link to success rates according to pick slot of all QB's drafted this century, and what to expect from this class.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/qb ... -nfl-draft
And here's a list of all of those QB's taken from 21 to 32 since 1970. Draft year, position, name, and games started during their career. Since 1970 there have been 119 Qb's taken in the first round. Of that number, 6 are in the Hall of Fame.

Code: Select all

1977	27	Tommy Kramer	110
1979	23	Steve Fuller	42
1980	28	Mark Malone	54
1983	24	Ken O'Brien	110
1983	27	Dan Marino HOF	240
1987	26	Jim Harbaugh	140
1991	24	Todd Marinovich	8
1992	25	Tommy Maddox	36
1997	26	J.Druckenmiller	1
2002	32	Patrick Ramsey	24
2003	22	Rex Grossman	47
2004	22	J.P. Losman	33
2005	24	Aaron Rodgers	190
2005	25	Jason Campbell	79
2007	22	Brady Quinn	20
2010	25	Tim Tebow	16
2012	22	Brandon Weeden	25
2014	22	Johnny Manziel	8
2014	32	T. Bridgewater	49
2016	26	Paxton Lynch	4
2018	32	Lamar Jackson	37
2020	26	Jordan Love	

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Jul 2021 21:10

Drafting a first round QB first year into his extension.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

paco wrote:
21 Jul 2021 12:42
Heh, never actually listened to this guy before (I don't consume very much sports news media at all, ESPN or otherwise).

Well he's quite the idiot, isn't he? :mrgreen:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
21 Jul 2021 21:32
Pckfn23 wrote:

First it was not the first year into his extension.

Second, that's a pretty sophomoric reason to feel disrespected.

If that is it, it does not make Rodgers look good.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Jul 2021 22:04
bud fox wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Post first year.
It is subjective - lots of people believe he is right and people also don't

Ultimately the packers can break whatever promise they made underlining the contract but Rodgers cant break his contract if that promise is broken.

"here is the extension we going to be going for it whilst we are lucky enough to have you" first year of extension done "yeah sorry we going to invest in the future now, hope you're cool for that if not bad luck you are signed for the next 3-4 years or whatever"

What Rodgers is doing now is the standard playbook and the only real options a player has to express unhappiness and hope to change the situation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
21 Jul 2021 19:06

Comments above ultimately mostly subjective.
Yes, correct. I was summarizing my opinions of the situation on a message board.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Jul 2021 22:35
bud fox wrote:
21 Jul 2021 19:06

Comments above ultimately mostly subjective.
Yes, correct. I was summarizing my opinions of the situation on a message board.
I know - I actually meant my comments in red. But ultimately yes, especially on this topic, just about everything is subjective.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
21 Jul 2021 22:15
Pckfn23 wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Post first year.
Most is subjective, sure, but parts are not. For example, there were 2 full NFL seasons between resigning Rodgers and drafting Love, almost 20 full months. Trying to say it was the first year into the extension is factually wrong.
Ultimately the packers can break whatever promise they made underlining the contract but Rodgers cant break his contract if that promise is broken.
Rodgers is currently breaking his contract and will do so more if he does not show up for training camp. Again, factual wrong.
"here is the extension we going to be going for it whilst we are lucky enough to have you" first year of extension done "yeah sorry we going to invest in the future now, hope you're cool for that if not bad luck you are signed for the next 3-4 years or whatever"
Again, factually incorrect, after the 2nd year of the extension. The team invests in the future, EVERY SINGLE DRAFT. Every team does. It is pretty telling though if he is threatened by said draft pick. If he is so good, there isn't much of a worry, especially since the team already wanted to extend him again.
What Rodgers is doing now is the standard playbook and the only real options a player has to express unhappiness and hope to change the situation.
This is standard? If so standard, I would love to hear of all the other examples. You are correct though, it is the only real option, but his reasonings behind it are completely sophomoric.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
22 Jul 2021 00:14
bud fox wrote:
21 Jul 2021 22:15
Pckfn23 wrote:

Post first year.
Most is subjective, sure, but parts are not. For example, there were 2 full NFL seasons between resigning Rodgers and drafting Love, almost 20 full months. Trying to say it was the first year into the extension is factually wrong.
Rodgers is currently breaking his contract and will do so more if he does not show up for training camp. Again, factual wrong.
Again, factually incorrect, after the 2nd year of the extension. The team invests in the future, EVERY SINGLE DRAFT. Every team does. It is pretty telling though if he is threatened by said draft pick. If he is so good, there isn't much of a worry, especially since the team already wanted to extend him again.
This is standard? If so standard, I would love to hear of all the other examples. You are correct though, it is the only real option, but his reasonings behind it are completely sophomoric.
First year of extension years. Not first year from signing.

Semantics - I mean terminate the contract and go play somewhere else.

Again you are on signing date and not new years of extension.

Any single player that has ever held out which is plenty. There is nothing else you can really do as a player under contract.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

bud fox wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Is it because it is disrespectful to Rodgers to suggest that he will ever get old, or injured, or lose his touch?

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

bud fox wrote:
22 Jul 2021 01:33
So if they had signed Love the year before, that wouldn't have been disrespectful because it was before Rodgers' contract extension - Rodgers would have been within weeks of the end of his contract. :dunno:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

dsr wrote:
22 Jul 2021 03:24
bud fox wrote:
22 Jul 2021 01:33
So if they had signed Love the year before, that wouldn't have been disrespectful because it was before Rodgers' contract extension - Rodgers would have been within weeks of the end of his contract. :dunno:
duh.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Jul 2021 14:50
And then Rodgers, like lupe, like many national reporters, viewed the drafting of Jordan Love as a path-dependent, set timeline, for Rodgers' dismissal. I believe Rodgers misinterpreted that selection. I believe the team was taking a gamble to give them a possible successor in the event that Rodgers doesn't reclaim his old glory. The day of the draft, Gutey said himself that if Love reaches the end of his contract without having taken over it would be "a great thing for the Green Bay Packers because it means they have maintained high level QB play for the next four years."
I think we can re re re hash this a bit, we still have a few days till TC :lol: I went looking for Ron Wolfs opinion about this, and he agree's that if ya like a QB prospect then ya have to go with that gut feeling and take him, he then says it's near impossible to know if your picking the right guy, (I agree) he then says if possible he'd draft a QB in every draft, which he almost did and 4 of his mid round picks went on to start for other teams, Ted ted take a few QB's during his tenure but with less success.

The Way of the Wolf
The legacy and lessons of Hall of Fame GM Ron Wolf’s time with the Green Bay Packers live on today, through five former pupils who are current GMs for playoff-contending teams

the article touches on Wolfs approach with stocking the QB position, it's a long read, grab a cup of coffee.

with the news that the FO offered to extend Rodgers again and make him again the richest player it's harder to defend him, specially with Rons opinion that it is a power struggle and a desire to have more say with personal in drafts and UFA decisions I'am starting to accept that Rodgers has over stepped his position

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/12/07/nfl-d ... ohn-dorsey

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
22 Jul 2021 07:40
YoHoChecko wrote:
And then Rodgers, like lupe, like many national reporters, viewed the drafting of Jordan Love as a path-dependent, set timeline, for Rodgers' dismissal. I believe Rodgers misinterpreted that selection. I believe the team was taking a gamble to give them a possible successor in the event that Rodgers doesn't reclaim his old glory. The day of the draft, Gutey said himself that if Love reaches the end of his contract without having taken over it would be "a great thing for the Green Bay Packers because it means they have maintained high level QB play for the next four years."
I think we can re re re hash this a bit, we still have a few days till TC :lol: I went looking for Ron Wolfs opinion about this, and he agree's that if ya like a QB prospect then ya have to go with that gut feeling and take him, he then says it's near impossible to know if your picking the right guy, (I agree) he then says if possible he'd draft a QB in every draft, which he almost did and 4 of his mid round picks went on to start for other teams, Ted ted take a few QB's during his tenure but with less success.

The Way of the Wolf
The legacy and lessons of Hall of Fame GM Ron Wolf’s time with the Green Bay Packers live on today, through five former pupils who are current GMs for playoff-contending teams

the article touches on Wolfs approach with stocking the QB position, it's a long read, grab a cup of coffee.

with the news that the FO offered to extend Rodgers again and make him again the richest player it's harder to defend him, specially with Rons opinion that it is a power struggle and a desire to have more say with personal in drafts and UFA decisions I'am starting to accept that Rodgers has over stepped his position

Who are you and what have you done with yoop!!

mike, if you are in trouble, log on and PM me. I will do what I can to rescue you from this being who stole your log-in credentials. :rotf:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ron Wolf totally spoiled us and got us all thinking that you could take a 4th rounder (Aaron Brooks), a 5th rounder (Mark Brunell), 6th rounder (Matt Hasselbeck), coach 'em up with the right staff, and they'll develop into starting-quality trade assets. I believed it myself, strongly, for a long time. That kind of success story is few and far between, though.

If you look around the league, starters that arise from outside of the first round are the exception. Off the top of my head, I can think of Tom Brady (6th round), Dak Prescott (4th round), Russell Wilson (3rd round), Jimmy G (2nd round--though soon to be replaced by a 1st), Jalen Hurts (2nd round)... not sure who to count for Houston, but I guess Tyrod Taylor (6th round)

...so that's 6 out of 32? If I missed one or two, we're still at least at 75-80% first rounders.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jul 2021 07:51
Yoop wrote:
22 Jul 2021 07:40
YoHoChecko wrote:

The Way of the Wolf

Who are you and what have you done with yoop!!

mike, if you are in trouble, log on and PM me. I will do what I can to rescue you from this being who stole your log-in credentials. :rotf:
haha, heres a bit more of the article to entice you to read the whole thing.

Wolf’s most notable stamp on modern scouting is his view on quarterbacks: While there’s only room for one starter, you can never acquire too many. In Wolf’s world, it is worthwhile to draft a QB every year, no matter the current roster situation. “Looking now from afar, the best quarterback in the game is a sixth-round draft choice [Tom Brady], and that should alert everybody,” Wolf says. “Then you look at what the Cowboys have accomplished with a fourth-round draft choice. I mean, it tells you what you should do. Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.”

Consider that in seven out of eight drafts from 1992 to ’99, Wolf drafted a quarterback, even after Brett Favre was entrenched as the starter. “I learned very early in this game, if you don’t have a quarterback, you don’t have a chance,” Wolf said. “We were very lucky that we had a unique quarterback that never missed a game. But that didn’t stop me from drafting in late rounds. It’s the premiere position, and you better be able to cover yourself.”

In acquiring extra arms—among them Ty Detmer (1992 ninth round), Mark Brunell (’93 fifth round), Matt Hasselbeck (’98 sixth round) and Aaron Brooks (’99 fourth round), all of whom became starters for other teams—Wolf says he was bringing in players to challenge Favre. But more importantly, he was looking for raw talent to cultivate for backup roles, or to dangle for a trade and acquire even more draft picks.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Jul 2021 07:59
Ron Wolf totally spoiled us and got us all thinking that you could take a 4th rounder (Aaron Brooks), a 5th rounder (Mark Brunell), 6th rounder (Matt Hasselbeck), coach 'em up with the right staff, and they'll develop into starting-quality trade assets. I believed it myself, strongly, for a long time. That kind of success story is few and far between, though.

If you look around the league, starters that arise from outside of the first round are the exception. Off the top of my head, I can think of Tom Brady (6th round), Dak Prescott (4th round), Russell Wilson (3rd round), Jimmy G (2nd round--though soon to be replaced by a 1st), Jalen Hurts (2nd round)... not sure who to count for Houston, but I guess Tyrod Taylor (6th round)

...so that's 6 out of 32? If I missed one or two, we're still at least at 75-80% first rounders.
see I think ya have as good a chance in the 2nd and later as ya do taking one later then the first couple in round one, the problem is imo that teams wont devote the time or money for a top notch QB Guru to coach up these later round players, and Holmgren and staff where very good at it.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
22 Jul 2021 08:07
see I think ya have as good a chance in the 2nd and later as ya do taking one later then the first couple in round one, the problem is imo that teams wont devote the time or money for a top notch QB Guru to coach up these later round players, and Holmgren and staff where very good at it.
I agree that NFL teams don't devote the proper resources and patience to developing QBs, but also that (just like the Packers staff in the 90s), it's hard to hold onto those guys. That's why the Kyle Shanahan staff has been scattered throughout the league, including to us.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
22 Jul 2021 08:07
YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Jul 2021 07:59

McCarthy did it with Matt Flynn. The problem is not that coaches can't coach anymore but rather the CBA prevents coaches from coaching these QB's anymore to the level and with the amount of time needed. You absolutely never know, but I highly doubt that Aaron Rodgers is Aaron Rodgers if he was drafted post-2011. That is also where this notion that if you draft a QB they have to play must stop. Love needs all the time possible to get ready. All these guys do. None of them are getting it. For every Justin Herbert that is thrown into the fire and has some early success there is a Mitch Trubisky on the other side. Learning on the job is great, in theory, but it is destroying a lot of these really, really talented prospects.

Read More. Post Less.