Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

NCF wrote:
24 Jul 2021 11:52
Yoop wrote:
24 Jul 2021 11:45
can we do that? didn't know you could tag and then trade the player.
Absolutely. We have done it before. Remember Corey Williams?
Yes, but the player has to have signed the franchise tender. Which essentially means he gets to approve of the trade.

Which means they have some power over which team they get traded to, and usually the new team needs to have a long term contract proposal in place the player agrees to.

If no trade pleases the player, he can just not sign the tender. Mid-July, if he still hasn't signed it, he'll be stuck with GB for the season.

Is tag and trade scummy? Usually yes. But in a case where players are trying to hold the team hostage... Not as much.

If you are the kinda fan who wants a chance at an all-time best -level roster during Love's cheap rookie contract, trading AR and Adams in one off-season is one way how one could get it done.

I'd personally prefer to mend the relationship with AR and Adams, and go for SBs with them as Packers, but if that's not possible...

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
24 Jul 2021 11:51
go pak go wrote:
24 Jul 2021 09:41
NCF wrote:
24 Jul 2021 09:31

Isn't this from a long time ago?
I mean Rodgers has his disgusting man bun so it can't be that old. But I can't confirm when the photo was taken.

I think he is coming back. I can't see him skip out on his friends and teammates. I think this is going to have that "last dance" type season.
Like a week before The Draft.

https://wtmj.com/green-bay-packers/2021 ... ded-video/
I mean that could be before the draft. But they are also wearing different clothes in your link. So it wasn't that same day.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
24 Jul 2021 12:08
Yoop wrote:
24 Jul 2021 12:07
NCF wrote:
24 Jul 2021 11:52

Absolutely. We have done it before. Remember Corey Williams?
no, but I'll take your word for it, can you imagine the stink that would cause though, first the perception is we pull the carpet out from Rodgers, then tag a great team player like Adams only to trade him, can't imagine how a team of older vets would feel about that, I'd think a lot of players would hate the FO, how would Lafluer keep a positive locker room.
Good thing all our older vets would be gone huh? ;)
Older was a poor choice of words, I should have said any player about due for a 2nd contract

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
24 Jul 2021 12:31
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:
24 Jul 2021 12:07

no, but I'll take your word for it, can you imagine the stink that would cause though, first the perception is we pull the carpet out from Rodgers, then tag a great team player like Adams only to trade him, can't imagine how a team of older vets would feel about that, I'd think a lot of players would hate the FO, how would Lafluer keep a positive locker room.
Older was a poor choice of words, I should have said any player about due for a 2nd contract
Or they could see it as AR pulling the rug from under himself, and the team getting as much compensation (= maxing future win potential) that they could for another player who seems to want out...

There are ZERO teams in the league that don't treat business as business. There's no player-friendly haven to go to. Or there could be, but ONLY if you're willing to take less money than you're worth.

As far as contracts go, GB has been VERY good to it's 2nd contract guys. For a LONG time. They have consistently given stars, and even role guys good deals early and even at deadline. Jones got taken care of. Clark got his. Bak isn't mistreated by any measure. Adams got a great 2nd contract. Lowry and King should be plenty grateful. AR has gotten top of the league deals early up to now, guaranteeing him against injury.

The biggest reason any great Packer player approaching their 2nd contract negotiations would have doubts is because AR and Adams currently cost 54 MILLION against the cap combined, and are playing social media games, and the team can't know whether they can afford to extend you nor what the future looks like.

AR could've done for the Packers what Brady first did for NE and then TB. He could've done it for years now, bettering our SB chances significantly along the way. He hasn't. Instead he has taken max money deals with huge guarantees.

I actually don't hold that against Rodgers - getting paid what he's worth is very fair. Brady has cost himself a lot of millions doing what he has done, and that can't be expected of anyone. Brady got some SBs outta it and got in Tampa the room, situation and influence to get them to sign key guys to join him on the latest run. .

What I do loathe is AR expecting and demanding more influence, security, respect, whatever his real beef is - ON TOP of his massive contracts. Without giving ANYTHING in return, except for the QB services he's already paid for.

Tom costs 10.5M against the cap this season. AR costs 37.2M

Compared with Brady, how the hell could the winning formula be having AR cost 26.7M more against the cap AND giving into whatever demands he has?!

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

I'd like to see Rodgers show up for camp, play lights out, limit Love's 1st team snaps, then retire the day before the first game. He doesn't want to play for GB and he owes all of us absolutely nothing.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
24 Jul 2021 14:24
I'd like to see Rodgers show up for camp, play lights out, limit Love's 1st team snaps, then retire the day before the first game. He doesn't want to play for GB and he owes all of us absolutely nothing.
Finally someone is sounding picture perfect exactly like the Favre fans in 2005.

The nostalgia! I kinda missed all the futile controversy of the last time a player was supposedly bigger than the team! Thanks, [mention]Ghost_Lombardi[/mention] !

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

salmar80 wrote:
24 Jul 2021 14:15
Yoop wrote:
24 Jul 2021 12:31
go pak go wrote:

Or they could see it as AR pulling the rug from under himself, and the team getting as much compensation (= maxing future win potential) that they could for another player who seems to want out...

There are ZERO teams in the league that don't treat business as business. There's no player-friendly haven to go to. Or there could be, but ONLY if you're willing to take less money than you're worth.

As far as contracts go, GB has been VERY good to it's 2nd contract guys. For a LONG time. They have consistently given stars, and even role guys good deals early and even at deadline. Jones got taken care of. Clark got his. Bak isn't mistreated by any measure. Adams got a great 2nd contract. Lowry and King should be plenty grateful. AR has gotten top of the league deals early up to now, guaranteeing him against injury.

The biggest reason any great Packer player approaching their 2nd contract negotiations would have doubts is because AR and Adams currently cost 54 MILLION against the cap combined, and are playing social media games, and the team can't know whether they can afford to extend you nor what the future looks like.

AR could've done for the Packers what Brady first did for NE and then TB. He could've done it for years now, bettering our SB chances significantly along the way. He hasn't. Instead he has taken max money deals with huge guarantees.

I actually don't hold that against Rodgers - getting paid what he's worth is very fair. Brady has cost himself a lot of millions doing what he has done, and that can't be expected of anyone. Brady got some SBs outta it and got in Tampa the room, situation and influence to get them to sign key guys to join him on the latest run. .

What I do loathe is AR expecting and demanding more influence, security, respect, whatever his real beef is - ON TOP of his massive contracts. Without giving ANYTHING in return, except for the QB services he's already paid for.

Tom costs 10.5M against the cap this season. AR costs 37.2M

Compared with Brady, how the hell could the winning formula be having AR cost 26.7M more against the cap AND giving into whatever demands he has?!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
24 Jul 2021 10:37
TheSkeptic wrote:
24 Jul 2021 10:28
go pak go wrote:
24 Jul 2021 10:06

Oh yeah. His teammates have known for weeks what is likely happening. And his teammates also know this is likely the final year Rodgers is a Packer.
Likely but not certain. I agree that it is his last year as a Packer and I hope he does well so that they get something from a trade next spring. It is a crying shame that the Packers won't likely get Denver's 1st round pick, Love won't get a year of experience and the Packers will get bounced in the playoffs again this season when AR plays like crap and all the Packers get for him is a 2nd round draft pick.
Oh I believe we will be netting multiple first round picks next spring. I don't see why the price would reduce as long as Rodgers stays healthy. If he puts on a comparable 2020 performance...we will do just fine.
Very big IF. But even if he duplicates last season and plays like an ordinary QB in the playoffs again, why would any team give up multiple 1st round picks for a QB that plays like an average QB in the playoffs 3 years in a row?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
24 Jul 2021 14:47
go pak go wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

Likely but not certain. I agree that it is his last year as a Packer and I hope he does well so that they get something from a trade next spring. It is a crying shame that the Packers won't likely get Denver's 1st round pick, Love won't get a year of experience and the Packers will get bounced in the playoffs again this season when AR plays like crap and all the Packers get for him is a 2nd round draft pick.
Oh I believe we will be netting multiple first round picks next spring. I don't see why the price would reduce as long as Rodgers stays healthy. If he puts on a comparable 2020 performance...we will do just fine.
Very big IF. But even if he duplicates last season and plays like an ordinary QB in the playoffs again, why would any team give up multiple 1st round picks for a QB that plays like an average QB in the playoffs 3 years in a row?
Because the aura of Aaron Rodgers is insane. Just look at all national media and people on this board and how many say Rodgers is still under paid. The Packers can leverage that. If the "going rate" was multiple first rounders this year, the going rate will stay the same next year.

Even losing another NFC Title game won't change that.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
24 Jul 2021 14:47
go pak go wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

It would sell a lot of tickets and jerseys. And could save a team prez and/or GM their jobs.

Anyone who trades for Aaron Rodgers gets their fans an instant ticket to SB hopes. That's worth a lot in many places.

AR's lack of more SB wins would just be explained by Yoop logic: every time it was someone else's fault.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

I guess my idea of ordinary is different. Rodgers was NOT that last playoffs. Not even close. Not perfect but he played better then any other NFC qb.

If all this mess is unfixable I would make a trade and rebuild this team with young talent around Love. Might not be what some here would do but im over the drama. Only 2 teams I would be interested in dealing with. Den and wash.

If I'm Gute I call den and say take it or leave it

Rodgers adams sternberger

For

Juedy Fant Chubb (reworked so denver eats guaranteed money) 2 1st round picks 1 2nd and a future depending on den success

This gives Love young talent on the cheap and the best edge group in the game.

2. Rodgers Adams Lowery

For

Payne McLaurin Davis. 3 1st round picks 2 2nd round picks

Gives love a #1 wr cheaper with room to add in the wr room for the future. Payne and Clark is 2 monsters inside. Davis is the freak athlete to add in the lb room. Wash would ahve to give up more dtaft cap

These are take it or leave it deals. Both wash and Denver would get there over the top now pieces while GB builds a young loaded roster for years to come.

Yes that might take us out of the win now mode and of course I would like to have Rodgers and Adams but if this is broken time to get some return.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Maybe the Jordan Pippen photo was how the GM brought an end to the dynasty.

Who knows

I don't really trust the odds makers aswell as they often seem to make the wrong claim for attention.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

go pak go wrote:
24 Jul 2021 09:38
bud fox wrote:
23 Jul 2021 22:42
People thinking his teammates don't support him is so silly. Players would love the fact he is standing up to management - they are players he is a player.

The oline will welcome him back with open arms
I really doubt this. I think guys like David B., Z and Davante will be like, "he gotta do what he gotta do"

But put yourself in the shoes of everyone else who isn't making top 8 money on the team. Here is this guy in his ivory tower completely manipulating and controlling the fate of your season and potentially your own stats to set yourself up for future contracts. Heck. Put yourself in Adams and Bak's shoes. You want to win a ring in 2021 - you already have the money so you want a ring. Like at this point Rodgers is either in or he's not and he's doing this stuff at the eve of TC?

No. I would be quite upset if my teammate was pulling this crap. I honestly think it is really weird you think teammates would think he's a white knight.

Teammates will understand any decision he makes is within his right and he has earned that right. So they will accept it. But that completely different than them loving, revering or respecting the guy because of the "principal" he is standing up for because supposedly he didn't get a say on who the coach was in 2019 or because the Packers drafted Jordan Love (while every other player on the team has to see the Packers/NFL teams draft players at their position every year)
Players versus management is one of the strongest us vs them groupings.

Players will be supportive of Rodgers fight against management. Players hate management

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

bud fox wrote:
24 Jul 2021 17:45
go pak go wrote:
24 Jul 2021 09:38
bud fox wrote:
23 Jul 2021 22:42
People thinking his teammates don't support him is so silly. Players would love the fact he is standing up to management - they are players he is a player.

The oline will welcome him back with open arms
I really doubt this. I think guys like David B., Z and Davante will be like, "he gotta do what he gotta do"

But put yourself in the shoes of everyone else who isn't making top 8 money on the team. Here is this guy in his ivory tower completely manipulating and controlling the fate of your season and potentially your own stats to set yourself up for future contracts. Heck. Put yourself in Adams and Bak's shoes. You want to win a ring in 2021 - you already have the money so you want a ring. Like at this point Rodgers is either in or he's not and he's doing this stuff at the eve of TC?

No. I would be quite upset if my teammate was pulling this crap. I honestly think it is really weird you think teammates would think he's a white knight.

Teammates will understand any decision he makes is within his right and he has earned that right. So they will accept it. But that completely different than them loving, revering or respecting the guy because of the "principal" he is standing up for because supposedly he didn't get a say on who the coach was in 2019 or because the Packers drafted Jordan Love (while every other player on the team has to see the Packers/NFL teams draft players at their position every year)
Players versus management is one of the strongest us vs them groupings.

Players will be supportive of Rodgers fight against management. Players hate management
Ok. I'd be very interested in a model or example of NFL team management that you'd be fine with.

Or should we go full revolution and demand no management of rosters? Star players commanding the rosters, or equal players' committees creating revolutionary cells for the greater good?

¡Viva la resistance to whatever!

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

salmar80 wrote:
24 Jul 2021 18:13

Ok. I'd be very interested in a model or example of NFL team management that you'd be fine with.

Or should we go full revolution and demand no management of rosters? Star players commanding the rosters, or equal players' committees creating revolutionary cells for the greater good?

¡Viva la resistance to something!
Of course management is necessary ... I am just saying the players have always had an us vs them mentality.

They will like that he is fighting them. If they aren't doing well they will be more inclined to blame management for putting them in that situation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I don't really trust the odds makers aswell as they often seem to make the wrong claim for attention.
Like what?! This is the craziest statement I have ever heard.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Not sure what Sharp is getting at. When I watch that I hear a guy confident with his situation even though Love was drafted. Today, not so much, even though he just won the MVP.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Jul 2021 18:49
Often times an odds makers looking to grow there book will put out a line for attention to grow there brand and market.

Often they will limit bet size.

Its standard. You won't see it from a well established odds maker.
Last edited by bud fox on 24 Jul 2021 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
24 Jul 2021 20:48
Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Jul 2021 18:49
Often times a odds makers look to grow there book will put out a line for attention to grow there brand and market.

Often they will limit bet size.

Its standard. You won't see it from a well established odds maker.
Interestingly enough it looks like you didn't read the article because this was not an up and coming Sports book. Odds makers absolutely do not make odds to "gain attention." They set the odds to get as equal play on each side as possible. You're talking like a person who has zero clue about sports betting or trying to further the narrative. I suspect both.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 24 Jul 2021 20:54, edited 1 time in total.