Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Quickly worked up a guess as to what this could look like...

So 2023 would be a void year, but I bet they'd also add 2 more void years to spread the money out a bit:
image.png
image.png (26.93 KiB) Viewed 388 times
So we could take $12.5M out of his salary for 2021 and $12.5 million out of his salary for 2022 and combine make it a $25 signing bonus, prorated over 5 years.

That means for 2021, the cap number decreases from $37 to $29 million.
For 2022, if he stays, it would be at a reduced cap number of $33 million instead of $40 as it would currently be.
In 2023, if Rodgers stayed through 2022, he would be a free agent, and the $15 in new bonuses plus the $2.8 millionleft from his restructure would create $17.8 mil in dead money.

More likely, before 2022, Rodgers would be traded, which would create $26 mil in dead money for us, but compared to the currently-scheduled $40 million and the restructured $33 million, it would still represent savings. What's more, because the actual amount of money Rodgers is owed isn't changing, the dead cap for moving him after 2021 would be barely changed from what it would be if we made the move next year under his current contract

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Jul 2021 16:34
I’m Surprised how much some are believing “reports” like the contract is voidable after this season, without seeing it for themselves or from a release from the team...considering all the baloney we’ve heard all along this summer.
I don't know that people are "believing" them. Just what-if-ing them. What if he wants Cobb? What if he wants to void after one year? Shefty says void after 2 years, with a possible move after 1 year. That's what we all want. But in the last 24 hours of wild leaks, rumors, and reports + an impending resolution likely, people are sorta brainstorming their reactions to different reported outcomes.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Ah, Benkert was the hold up.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Let's be real, though; almost all hair is better than the seemingly never-washed scraggles Rodgers has been showing us this offseason. Benkhert's short hair is still better.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Let's go win a freaking Lombardi. :banana: :banana:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

So, if Randall Cobb ends up being the big concession, can this put to bed the Rodgers deserves to be involved in personnel decisions discussion? Still seems like a very curious ask to me. More buddy/fanboy than help on the football field?

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

:lombardi:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
26 Jul 2021 16:47
So, if Randall Cobb ends up being the big concession, can this put to bed the Rodgers deserves to be involved in personnel decisions discussion? Still seems like a very curious ask to me. More buddy/fanboy than help on the football field?
Amari Rodgers mentor, I can't wait to see the stuff Lafluer has planned with Amari, and if Rodgers thinks Cobb would help, so be it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Trading for Cobb would be idiotic.

Glad it's all getting worked out.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 26 Jul 2021 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
Oh, the silliest ask. I don’t believe it for a second.

Though if it happened, I’d be stoked for me because he was my favorite. And stoked for Amari Rodgers because being in the NFL with your adolescent mentor (Cobb) and favorite current receiver (Adams) to learn from would be pretty sweet.

But yeah, not as much for on the field.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
26 Jul 2021 16:51
NCF wrote:
Amari Rodgers mentor, I can't wait to see the stuff Lafluer has planned with Amari, and if Rodgers thinks Cobb would help, so be it.
Please what a joke. Amari needs no mentor. He needs snaps. Coaches are paid to get Amari ready.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Jul 2021 16:55
Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:
Please what a joke. Amari needs no mentor. He needs snaps. Coaches are paid to get Amari ready.
someone said Cobb had 750 yrds last year, if thats right and he was a Packer he'd have been our #2 receiver last year, Cobb is no joke, and young players learn from old vets all the time, also if Rodgers wants us to sign Cobb as a concession for him coming back the FO would be fools not to listen.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

:roll:
www.google.com

Type: "Randall Cobb 2020 stats"

Look at graphic that comes up showing 441 yards...

:roll:

The front office would actually be fools to acquiesce to such a stupid demand of trading Houston for Randall Cobb and then pay $6.25 million in 2021 and $5.875 million in 2022 for him...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I thought Cobb would be a really nice get last year around the trade deadline for a whole bunch of reasons...

... then I saw the terms of his contract with Houston and was like "oh, well then forget it."

My position has not changed: Cobb would be nice to have in this offense (good scheme fit, familiarity with Rodgers, etc). but it's out of the question thanks to that ridiculous deal Houston gave him. No thanks.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Jul 2021 10:10
I gotta admit, as much as I think the FO has “messed around” and Rodgers is giving them a “mess around and find out” moment, I’m getting tired of the charade myself. We all know he’s wearing shirts about being offended, posting insta stories like a high schooler, speaking in platitudes...without actually saying what he wants publically. But that stuff is all just kind of how the guy is. Show up to camp, and I forgive. Show up after camp, and I still most likely forgive...

But the more I hear everyone on radio and tv say “Rodgers has all the leverage, without Rodgers this isn’t a playoff team” “without Rodgers this team is a top 5 drafter” blah blah I just get this “Oh ya, wanna bet” feeling in me. Of course the team is ready to win it all if they put it all together and don’t choke, it would be a shame if that opportunity was thrown in the trash can. It would sting and suck, and frankly be near unforgivable for the future of Rodgers and his standing in the city. But once that bitter pill is swallowed, it would be fun to get behind Love and see what this team can do. See if the defense that be an asset and keep us In games, see what lafleur can do without 12, see what Jones and Dillon can be as the staples of the O.

9-8 isn’t nearly as fun as 14-3, but a wild card birth or battling for the division in a year where we are not the favorites would be a new experience, and kind of fun potentially.

I want 12 back, but the more I hear how awful we will be, the more I think, “bring it on”.
I don't think there's much of a chance that we'd have a better regular season record without Rodgers, but I do wonder if we'd have more playoff success right now with Jordan Love (assuming he's competent). As has been known for a while, Rodgers in the playoffs frequently goes into a shell and I can't help but wonder if we'd do better with a QB who is a run threat. I don't know if Love is much of a runner, but he is young and young QBs almost always at least run enough for the opponent to respect it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

texas wrote:
26 Jul 2021 17:11
As has been known for a while, Rodgers in the playoffs frequently goes into a shell
https://stathead.com/tiny/RoyVX - Playoffs the last 10 years, minimum 100 attempts

https://stathead.com/tiny/FE0hE - Regular season the last 10 years, minimum 1000 attempts

Mahomes' rating falls 8.3 points
Rodgers' rating falls 9 points
Brees' rating falls 9.5 points
Brady's rating falls 5.2 points
E. Manning's rating RISES 9.8 points
Wilson's rating falls 6.4 points
Flacco's rating RISES 24.6 points
Foles' rating RISES 11.7 points
Watson's rating falls 13.5 points
P. Manning's rating falls 16.7 points
Cousins' rating falls 11.3 points
Prescott's rating falls 1.6 points
Ryan's rating RISES 11.7 points
Roethlisberger's rating falls 6.6 points
Rivers' rating falls 1 point
Smith's rating RISES 4.5 points
Stafford's rating falls 4 points
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 26 Jul 2021 17:30, edited 3 times in total.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
26 Jul 2021 15:58
Nagler said there was hardly any boo's by shareholders today when Murphy and Gute were introduced.
Yeah I'm wondering if this was part of what got the skids greased. As we've discussed already, the fans had a very different outlook about Rodgers pulling his shenanigans than we did when the Favre stuff was going down. Rodgers pretty much only shot himself in the foot, PR-wise, and maybe he had to see evidence before being willing to come back to the table.

More likely though he was planning on coming back all along and just wanted to be a diva, but it's time for camp so it had to end.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
26 Jul 2021 17:02
Drj820 wrote:
26 Jul 2021 16:55
Yoop wrote:

someone said Cobb had 750 yrds last year, if thats right and he was a Packer he'd have been our #2 receiver last year, Cobb is no joke, and young players learn from old vets all the time, also if Rodgers wants us to sign Cobb as a concession for him coming back the FO would be fools not to listen.
Pulling in Cobb wouldn't be so much of a joke because of his talent (or lack thereof at this point in his career). It'd be a bad trade because this tells the team that 12 gets to make the personnel calls. That's a bad idea any way that you slice it.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Jul 2021 17:15
texas wrote:
As has been known for a while, Rodgers in the playoffs frequently goes into a shell
https://stathead.com/tiny/RoyVX - Playoffs the last 10 years, minimum 100 attempts

https://stathead.com/tiny/FE0hE - Regular season the last 10 years, minimum 1000 attempts

Can you get me stats on how much longer the QBs hold the ball or take sacks? QB rating is nice but as we've discussed before, Rodgers' playoff play tends to drop in a very specific way (that I doubt happens to other QBs). The stats on those other guys don't surprise me. I would assume all QB ratings decline.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

texas wrote:
26 Jul 2021 17:24
Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Jul 2021 17:15
texas wrote:

Can you get me stats on how much longer the QBs hold the ball or take sacks? QB rating is nice but as we've discussed before, Rodgers' playoff play tends to drop in a very specific way (that I doubt happens to other QBs). The stats on those other guys don't surprise me. I would assume all QB ratings decline.
I added some more for comparison. Not all ratings fall.