Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Raptorman wrote:
26 Jul 2021 22:19
lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Jul 2021 21:53
Raptorman wrote:
26 Jul 2021 21:36
Is he gone yet?
You and every other NFC North team are just praying he leaves.

We appreciate your generous donations is the win column over the last decade and a half.
I really don't care if he stays or goes. Without defense, the Packers ain't going anywhere. And nothing they have done this offseason shows me they upped their defense any. I'm actually more concerned with the Bears at this point.

I wonder if that's why he wants out.
First round corner, new DC, and another year of growth for Savage, Gary, and the sophomore LBs are supposed to help in theory.

I agree it would have been nice to not have to keep relying on guys like dean lowry
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Rodgers has landed in GB.

Now it’ll be interesting to see if Cobb is a Packer by the end of the day. A lot of chatter was heating up yesterday.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Acrobat wrote:
27 Jul 2021 06:41

Now it’ll be interesting to see if Cobb is a Packer by the end of the day. A lot of chatter was heating up yesterday.
I cant imagine that being the stipulation for getting Rodgers to show up.

I really think its just a handshake deal. Rodgers comes back and plays and the Packers will trade him a team of his liking.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Raptorman wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
26 Jul 2021 21:36
Is he gone yet?

We appreciate your generous donations is the win column over the last decade and a half.
I'm actually more concerned with the Bears at this point.
You are either stupid or a liar.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Jul 2021 06:50
Acrobat wrote:

I really think its just a handshake deal. Rodgers comes back and plays and the Packers will trade him a team of his liking.
Cobb is one of my favorites and I’d be ok with him coming back for one year at the right price. The only fuel behind the rumor is that the Texans just traded for another slot WR.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So from what I am gathering, the following is part of the "concession" to get Rodgers back in GB.

1. Green Bay voids the 2023 contract season (this does not impact GB at all as there was no dead cap that season)

2. Rodgers does not lose ANY income. Therefore any "restructure" or anything like that to free up space for say, Randal Cobb, still must but paid for by the Packers in future seasons.

3. Rodgers and the Packers will work together on a trade partner in 2022. Basically Rodgers can say "no" to a trade if he doesn't want to play for that team. (like we wouldn't be able to ship him to the Texans because they offer 4 1st rounders). Rodgers will have to "sign off" on a trade which gives him more power in the trade scenario.

The more I think about it though, the more I still think GB is likely in pretty good shape. First off, Aaron Rodgers I believe has a very, very slim chance of being a Packer in 2022. The Rodgers/Packers ship has sailed. Especially if Jordan Love performs well this August, the Packers and Rodgers will be motivated to move on. What I was initially worried about was compensation in a trade would be lowered, but honestly I don't think this would be much of a case as I still believe there would be plenty of teams (Indy, Denver, Las Vegas, Carolina, Washington, etc). bidding for his services which will drive the price up.

The thing that I am still waiting on is Randal Cobb. I really don't like that Cobb is a remote possibility to keep Rodgers happy when it would take trade compensation and $8.5 million in cap to acquire him. And Rodgers is guaranteed to not lose any income.

Like if you want Cobb Aaron, you can work with us to eliminate some of your pay to get Cobb. But instead it would cost us a mid-late round draft pick plus money we don't have for a 4th/5th/6th WR on the roster.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Yup. Pretty good summary. Maybe change the language of Packers will trade him to a team and offer of mutual liking.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Acrobat wrote:
27 Jul 2021 06:52
lupedafiasco wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Cobb is one of my favorites and I’d be ok with him coming back for one year at the right price. The only fuel behind the rumor is that the Texans just traded for another slot WR.
Yeah. The Texans did get Anthony Miller from the Bears for a 5th round pick. So it definitely makes you wonder.

If Cobb comes to GB, my guess is we give Houston a 4th (which is basically the Texans projected 5th they gave up) and then Houston restructures Cobb's deal to "eat more cap".

Basically it would be a swap of younger version of Cobb for Houston and Rodgers gets a friend.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

once I learned Cobb's production declined after a good year with Dallas, ( Texans may not have used him well) and his contract cost we'd have to accept, I just can't take the Cobb talk as seriously as I first did, he'd be a great locker room presence and a mentor for Amari, and a friend for Rodgers ( as though Aaron doesn't already have that with almost the entire team) the cost and likely limited production makes this deal sound like just a bunch of hot air, but we'll see.

this is probably just a one and done thing, but something might happen and we rework Rodgers contract and he finishes as a Packer and we win two SB's versus just one, at least thats my fantasy. :banana: :banana:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Jul 2021 06:51
Raptorman wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

I'm actually more concerned with the Bears at this point.
You are either stupid or a liar.
:rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Also, if this Cobb thing has actual grit, it leads me to believe that Rodgers being mad about Kumerow is actually a pretty major gripe as Rodgers just wants friends on the roster.

Also looking back, management probably should have obliged to give a worthless roster spot to keep your top player happy.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

If the agreement is to get Cobb he will not cost any more than a 7th. Hes about to be 31, his contract is awful, and he hasnt performed all that well to be worth more than that.

Honestly Cobb having money on his deal next year should be making the Texans give us compensation for helping relieve cap room.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
27 Jul 2021 07:38
Also, if this Cobb thing has actual grit, it leads me to believe that Rodgers being mad about Kumerow is actually a pretty major gripe as Rodgers just wants friends on the roster.

Also looking back, management probably should have obliged to give a worthless roster spot to keep your top player happy.
exactly. Thats the things you do just to placate a drama queen so you can get to sundays where they perform. Its not bending the knee, its just an easy concession.

Kumerow sucked, so did Shepherd. The obvious decision is to keep the bum that is buddies with the QB.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Jul 2021 07:40
If the agreement is to get Cobb he will not cost any more than a 7th. Hes about to be 31, his contract is awful, and he hasnt performed all that well to be worth more than that.

Honestly Cobb having money on his deal next year should be making the Texans give us compensation for helping relieve cap room.
I think the assumption is the compensation due Houston would be higher if they are willing to eat a portion of the cap charge. Otherwise, yes, 100% you are right. We should be getting comp back at his current deal.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Jul 2021 07:50
go pak go wrote:

exactly. Thats the things you do just to placate a drama queen so you can get to sundays where they perform. Its not bending the knee, its just an easy concession.

Kumerow sucked, so did Shepherd. The obvious decision is to keep the bum that is buddies with the QB.
I think it was actually Malik Taylor. Sheherp I believe was not on the initial 53.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:

I doubt you even believe what you just said? sure letting Kumerow go upset Rodgers, but the way it happened is the main reason, again a QB should have some input, at least allowed some for sight in WR's who the team decides to keep or part ways with, Up to Rodgers and Nelson might have been a Packer another year, I'am sure Rodgers would have prefered that to drafting 3 mid round receivers that where ultra raw.

mind blowing when QB's of far less stature then Rodgers are given these benefits and Rodgers gets the cold shoulder.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

if i remember correctly, Cobb was great for the Packers during his first contract. Then, during his second contract we got about a year of high quality play from him. I also remember a magical TD catch and run that he secured to beat the Bears in 2018 in week one, but this is where i could be wrong...but dont i remember many 4th down drops, or just drops in general in critical spots around the playoffs from the guy?

Cobb seems like an awesome person, and he was a great Packer. However, its not like he was anything more than the QBs buddy and a "solid" player for the Packers, until he got old...which he is now. Old. His skill set isnt the type to age well.

Nothing against Cobb tho, seems like a great guy.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Man that Cobb contract is simply garbage. I mean Houston doesn't really have cap space to "eat" Cobb cap either.
Yoop wrote:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

When you look at Cobb's production over the last 2 seasons, it's actually not bad within the volume he received. He's just not ever going to be a 90 catch WR anymore. If the Packers got him, it would be for 2 reasons and one of them is not to be a high volume WR:

- Mentor Amari
- Provide 1 more reliable target for AR.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Jul 2021 07:54
if i remember correctly, Cobb was great for the Packers during his first contract. Then, during his second contract we got about a year of high quality play from him. I also remember a magical TD catch and run that he secured to beat the Bears in 2018 in week one, but this is where i could be wrong...but dont i remember many 4th down drops, or just drops in general in critical spots around the playoffs from the guy?

Cobb seems like an awesome person, and he was a great Packer. However, its not like he was anything more than the QBs buddy and a "solid" player for the Packers, until he got old...which he is now. Old. His skill set isnt the type to age well.

Nothing against Cobb tho, seems like a great guy.
Yeah Cobb was amazing in 2012 - 2014 and then he lost that 2nd gear. I would say Cobb's "greatest" plays as a Packer were the 2018 Bears long TD run, the 2016 Hail Mary TD catch vs the Giants, the 2013 Bears catch and his 1st game as a Packer in 2011 opener.
Yoop wrote: