Cobb is back

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Jul 2021 15:42
If anyone is confused by this move, allow Aaron Rodgers to clear things up :mrgreen:
Aaron Rodgers wrote:It’s never been about the draft pick, picking Jordan. I love Jordan. He’s a great kid. Lot of fun to work together. I love the coaching staff, love my teammates. Love the fan base in Green Bay. Incredible 16 years. It’s just kind of about a philosophy, you know? And maybe forgetting that it is about the people that make the thing go.

It’s about character. It’s about culture. It’s about doing things the right way. A lot of this was put in motion last year. The wrench was just kind of thrown into it when I won the MVP and played the way I played last year. So this is just kind of I think the spill out of all that. But look, man, it is about the people, and that’s the most important thing. Green Bay has always been about the people, from Curly Lambeau being owner and founder to the ’60s with Lombardi and Bart Starr and all those incredible names to the ’90s teams with Coach Holmgren and Favre-y and the Minister of Defense to the run that we’ve been on. It’s about the people.
I wonder, did Rodgers give up some money to get Cobb back? Come on Aaron, it's about the people you play with. Man up.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
27 Jul 2021 16:44
Captain_Ben wrote:
27 Jul 2021 16:28
$8.25 mil. 1/4 of that number is an overpay. Needs to be wayyyy lower IMO.
Randal Cobb will make more than the current #2, #3, #4, #5 and #6 WR on our roster - combined. And we would still have over $2 million to spare.
as well he should, he's a hell of a slot receiver :rotf: or use to be

seriously I think people are greatly under estimating Cobb in this offense, whether you agree with me ( I think you do though) a slot receiver is a QB's best friend, and a key player in a up tempo mis direction scheme, lots of motion and sweeps, just the little, but very productive limited snaps of Ervin showed us that last year, and even as old as Cobb is he'll be great at that, plus the intangibles he brings as a player coach for Amari, and another vet voice in the WR room.

this should be a exciting training camp and PS.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

go pak go wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:
Randal Cobb will make more than the current #2, #3, #4, #5 and #6 WR on our roster - combined. And we would still have over $2 million to spare.
There are multiple conclusions that can be drawn from that fact (is it a fact?). What is your point?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Captain_Ben wrote:
27 Jul 2021 19:58
go pak go wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:
There are multiple conclusions that can be drawn from that fact (is it a fact?). What is your point?
There are a lot of points one could take with it.

Primarily the biggest is he is getting #2 money when he isn't one and we are paying for him with 2022 and 2023 cap space.

My only real gripe is I wish Rodgers would take a cut to help subsidize Cobb being on the Packers.

Yet again, I also ask myself how much it matters anyways. We won't have Adams after this season so our WR room will be pretty low cost. Maybe we end up keeping Cobb in 2022 because we have under contract anyways and he can help Love develop. We will want a vet presence next year.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
28 Jul 2021 08:35
I got to cut down about twenty pounds in training camp to fit back into my #18 jersey

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Asked about Cobb, Gutey said the standard "can't talk about players on another team" and "he's a member of the Houston Texans," but "there will be a time for that question"

sooooonnn

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Can you imagine going from Tyrod Taylor on the Texans to Aaron Rodgers on the Packers all of the sudden? He must be so happy.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

look forward to seeing what we gave for him and if he plans to take a paycut. Those things will determine how happy I am.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Jul 2021 09:23
look forward to seeing what we gave for him and if he plans to take a paycut. Those things will determine how happy I am.
I'm betting their is a pay cut. And wouldn't doubt that we are sending another receiver to the Texans in the deal. Just don't have room for everyone.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I agree Paco, complainers gonna complain, people that think Cobb is all washed are in for a pleasant surprise. :aok:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ya know on those 3rd downs or red zone possessions where Rodgers seems to have made up his mind that he's going to Adams and it's because Adams is the only guy he can truly trust to be on the same page and operate on his level? And how when that happens, good coverage on Adams seems to gum up the whole play? Cobb solves that problem, and that's all we need him to do. Not to start. Not to catch 800 yards. To be a trusted option on key plays that allows Rodgers not to telegraph to Adams.

P.S. The comparison to the Antonio Brown signing that some made doesn't hold up as a career comparison, but if you look at Cobb on the Texans and Antonio Brown on the Bucs last year, their 2020 stats are VERY similar (albeit in 2 fewer games for Brown). So when people say they hope this works out like Antonio Brown did, that's not a stretch.

He's a trusted and experienced veteran possession slot at this point. He's locker room gold. And he's an appeasement to our angry manchild. Honestly, I totally understand being underwhelmed by it. I, too, think this is absolutely silly. But to actively DISLIKE the move is just weird, man. It's just weird.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Cobb does have a history of making his biggest plays at the biggest times, something I feel like this team could use.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

BF004 wrote:
27 Jul 2021 14:18
Jake Dolegala just lucked his way into a few bucks if Cobb wants to buy #18 off him. :lol:

Also wouldn't be surprised to see Cobb take a single digit number, seems to be the trendy, yet expensive, choice for some players this offseason. This would be free for Cobb to switch now.

Dolegala was decidedly unlucky.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
28 Jul 2021 09:27
Drj820 wrote:
I'm betting their is a pay cut. And wouldn't doubt that we are sending another receiver to the Texans in the deal. Just don't have room for everyone.
Conventional wisdom says either Funchess or EQSB is going.

Though there is "rumor" that MVS left Lambeau yesterday with his "stuff".

I wouldn't be happy about that.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
28 Jul 2021 10:11
paco wrote:
28 Jul 2021 09:27
Drj820 wrote:
Conventional wisdom says either Funchess or EQSB is going.

I wouldn't be happy about that.
I had not heard that rumor. That wouldn't make any sense to me.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
Where do you hear things? It seems you often reference rumors, but I never see them. Like the voided contract with Rodgers stuff.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Jul 2021 10:17
go pak go wrote:
Where do you hear things? It seems you often reference rumors, but I never see them. Like the voided contract with Rodgers stuff.
Yeah, I haven't seen that anywhere.

Read More. Post Less.