Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
29 Jul 2021 08:54
This is the problem with being passive aggressive. Both guys, Aaron and Gute, talking through their teeth a little bit. Truth probably somewhere more in the middle than the extremes either are suggesting.

As forward as Rodgers was in his presser, this still really came through for me. Like the whole thing about not being committed past 2021, he specifically said "it never came up." Not, I asked about it and they gave a bad answer. But that they kept talking about 2021 but never talked about anything beyond it. And he made inferences about that. Now, those inferences were probably accurate. But it sounds, very clearly, like they were not having these conversations until the whole thing broke down.

Also, I really know I said I wasn't going to post here anymore, but I think we need to give [mention]Yoop[/mention] a shoutout based on this exact quote from Rodgers yesterday:
So to get Randall back is really special. It’s something that I talked about back in February, wanting to bring in a true slot receiver, I thought would make our offense more dynamic.
:aok:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

NCF wrote:
This is the problem with being passive aggressive. Both guys, Aaron and Gute, talking through their teeth a little bit. Truth probably somewhere more in the middle than the extremes either are suggesting.

Agreed. I think Rodgers probably made some comments here or there that weren't direct, and then it bubbled up.

Hopefully part of Rodgers working on himself was to become a better communicator and work on his own relationships.

I know the pendulum has swung in the favor of Rodgers after his press conference yesterday, but I think it also showed some major opportunities for improvement for Rodgers. These issues that started in 2012 reached a bubbling point 9 years later? These are conversations that should have started 9 years ago as I believe Rodgers had already put himself in a position to have more say.

The other thing that I've been thinking about since his press conference is the FO side of things. Giving one player more say over personnel decisions can be a very slippery slope to go down, and I do respect the fact that they've tried to keep that line from being crossed. Yeah, Rodgers is an all time great, so I have no problem in him being able to voice his opinion on WR's that he has great rapport with. But he's also not a Defensive Coach, so personally, I want Rodgers nowhere near making decisions on what Defensive players to keep (and should not be talking about player salaries/lowballing). That's where I think it crosses the line. It's a very fine balance and I do also applaud the FO for putting their foot down too.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:

Very good point. In Gutes defense I could see how he thought Rodgers had become a happy guy considering how much winning the team did last year, how happy Rodgers always seemed, his whole zen and meta act etc.

That said, sounds like this really blew up when Rodgers turned in an MVP year and then the team continued to not want to commit to him past this year. Pretty big slap in the face. Once that slap happened, Rodgers just seemed to remember all the old wounds he would have allowed himself to forget about if they were to commit to him long term.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Jul 2021 09:03
go pak go wrote:
29 Jul 2021 07:11
Yeah. It's hard to defend the team on the veteran decisions like Wood, Peppers, Hyde, Casey and Nelson.

Casey and Hyde were just moronic "cap savings" moves and if the vets are willing to take a pay cut...I mean just think if we had Woodson back there instead of what's his name...McMillian? I don't even remember.

I thought Rodgers nailed his press conference. He did such a good job of also recognizing reality and that cap is a real thing.

I was just very impressed. I will wear my #12 jersey again this season proudly.
Hyde and Casey was a compound mistake by TT we are still paying for. He drafted Randall and Rollins specifically to replace them. They both sucked so we ended up getting King who also sucked. Then we took Jaire and Jackson and Jackson sucks and now we took Stokes.
I truly believe the moves regarding the Safety and CB positions from 2012 - 2017 was the worst collective decisions of TT's career.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Acrobat wrote:
29 Jul 2021 09:08
The other thing that I've been thinking about since his press conference is the FO side of things. Giving one player more say over personnel decisions can be a very slippery slope to go down, and I do respect the fact that they've tried to keep that line from being crossed. Yeah, Rodgers is an all time great, so I have no problem in him being able to voice his opinion on WR's that he has great rapport with. But he's also not a Defensive Coach, so personally, I want Rodgers nowhere near making decisions on what Defensive players to keep (and should not be talking about player salaries/lowballing). That's where I think it crosses the line. It's a very fine balance and I do also applaud the FO for putting their foot down too.
Agreed.

I also think that he did not do a good job of discussing trade-offs and the nature of a hard cap. Who would he have parted with instead of those guys he mentioned? Would he have approached the front office offering a pay cut to keep some of them (not that he is obligated to, but it's an option). I think the honesty and openness really endeared him, but as I said, it seemed to confirm the assumptions most of us were making about the situation, so it hasn't created a big change in my opinions or stances, because I now simply feel that I was on solid footing making those assumptions.

Everyone agrees that the outgoing players have not always gotten the right level of communication or respect. We've talked about that on and off for years. But also, MOST of that is from prior FO administrations. And as someone said, letting it bubble for 6, 7, 8, 9 years? There were communication breakdowns all around here.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Jul 2021 09:06

Also, I really know I said I wasn't going to post here anymore, but I think we need to give @Yoop a shoutout based on this exact quote from Rodgers yesterday:
So to get Randall back is really special. It’s something that I talked about back in February, wanting to bring in a true slot receiver, I thought would make our offense more dynamic.
:aok:
Hahaha. I got a pretty good chuckle when Rodgers said that. :lol:

I thought of [mention]Yoop[/mention] instantly.

Way to go Mike. :aok: :clap:
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
29 Jul 2021 09:21
lupedafiasco wrote:
go pak go wrote:
29 Jul 2021 07:11
Yeah. It's hard to defend the team on the veteran decisions like Wood, Peppers, Hyde, Casey and Nelson.

Casey and Hyde were just moronic "cap savings" moves and if the vets are willing to take a pay cut...I mean just think if we had Woodson back there instead of what's his name...McMillian? I don't even remember.

I thought Rodgers nailed his press conference. He did such a good job of also recognizing reality and that cap is a real thing.

I was just very impressed. I will wear my #12 jersey again this season proudly.
Hyde and Casey was a compound mistake by TT we are still paying for. He drafted Randall and Rollins specifically to replace them. They both sucked so we ended up getting King who also sucked. Then we took Jaire and Jackson and Jackson sucks and now we took Stokes.
I truly believe the moves regarding the Safety and CB positions from 2012 - 2017 was the worst collective decisions of TT's career.
I recall a LOT of fans being happy that Hyde and Hayward weren't kept at the time (I wasn't one of them that I recall). Hindsight and all that. But yeah, the replacements really didn't work out.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
29 Jul 2021 09:19
That said, sounds like this really blew up when Rodgers turned in an MVP year and then the team continued to not want to commit to him past this year. Pretty big slap in the face. Once that slap happened, Rodgers just seemed to remember all the old wounds he would have allowed himself to forget about if they were to commit to him long term.
Bingo. I really hate to say this, but it seems like last season, which was absolutely brilliant from Aaron Rodgers, justified him having his "Don't you know who I am?" moment.

Read More. Post Less.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
29 Jul 2021 09:08

Everyone agrees that the outgoing players have not always gotten the right level of communication or respect. We've talked about that on and off for years. But also, MOST of that is from prior FO administrations. And as someone said, letting it bubble for 6, 7, 8, 9 years? There were communication breakdowns all around here.
Yep, that's how marriages end. LOL

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
29 Jul 2021 09:24
go pak go wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

I recall a LOT of fans being happy that Hyde and Hayward weren't kept at the time (I wasn't one of them that I recall). Hindsight and all that. But yeah, the replacements really didn't work out.
I could be labled as "happy" for moving on from Casey. Not for Hyde. The biggest wrench in all of what happened was we didn't know Shields would end his career a few months later. That's what really screwed everything. But we had known that by the time Hyde was ready for a deal.

But I am also happy to admit I was wrong and was super high on the TT Koolaid at that time. And why wouldn't I be?

I never heard of Damarious until Draft Night. I was super pumped about him because Waldo convinced me. And what a f*cking train wreck it turned out to be.

I never really concern "was I right about something at the time". I more concern myself regarding about, "okay. was it right or was it wrong and what can be learned from it."
Last edited by go pak go on 29 Jul 2021 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
29 Jul 2021 09:24
Agree. Revisionist history. Casey Hayward was dogged out of town because he could never stay healthy. Hyde found a role that we weren't willing to play him in that paid FMV that we were never going to touch. I don't think happy is the right word, but I think fans backed those decision in the moment and then reversed course when it left the team in really bad positions. This is the front office's fault, for sure, though. If you replace these two with guys that work out, no one cares.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Where did everyone get the idea that a reworked contract was already done with Rodgers, or at least that last year voided? I don't remember seeing any report that it was done, just that it was a likely option. Lotta twitter talk this morning with people being surprised that Rodgers is still under contract for 3 years.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
29 Jul 2021 09:27
Where did everyone get the idea that a reworked contract was already done with Rodgers, or at least that last year voided? I don't remember seeing any report that it was done, just that it was a likely option. Lotta twitter talk this morning with people being surprised that Rodgers is still under contract for 3 years.
I was thinking the exact same thing. All this shock that his deal is the same as it had been. I'd think if it were done, there would be some kind of statement/announcement/report.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

They said Cobb couldn't be made official for salary cap reasons until after 4:00pm yesterday, so that makes me think that something happened during the day yesterday that was not active until the transaction officially processed at 4pm. Could that be the restructure? Or would we have heard about that if it was?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
This is on page 138 of this thread.
image.png
image.png (21.21 KiB) Viewed 301 times
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
29 Jul 2021 09:28
paco wrote:
I was thinking the exact same thing. All this shock that his deal is the same as it had been. I'd think if it were done, there would be some kind of statement/announcement/report.
Yep. And Gutey said they know it'll probably have to be done to make room. But nothing has happened yet. Too many "takes" flying around and people don't know what's happened or not anymore.

Regardless, I don't think Gutey and Rodgers are going to be chumming around any time soon. Their pressers have been one of the most civilized finger pointing sessions I've ever witnessed.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
29 Jul 2021 09:32
Regardless, I don't think Gutey and Rodgers are going to be chumming around any time soon. Their pressers have been one of the most civilized finger pointing sessions I've ever witnessed.
I still struggle to understand it. From afar, I find them both absolutely, completely likeable people.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
The look in Rodgers' eyes when he was asked how his relationship with Gutey was and he answered "professional" was ICE cold.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
paco wrote:
This is on page 138 of this thread.

image.png
Schefter may be right in the end, but obviously hasn't happened yet and not quite in the order he said. He's back and still conversations to be had and work to be done. Never assume a contract change is a done deal until its announced as a done deal!
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

It seems like more of a perceived slight than an actual slight when it comes to "committing past 2021." The front office was focused on 2021, didn't mention 2022 or 2023 other than using the word "beyond." Rodgers saw that as they were only committed to 2021. Rodgers didn't say anything. It blew up. Communication issue on both sides.

That Rodgers is talking about players from 8 years ago highlights some major passive aggressiveness in my opinion.

I do wonder if Rodgers did not want Gutenkunst as the GM and preferred someone else. There really isn't much in the way of the complaints brought forward that are pinned on Gutenkunst.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."