General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Guess we need to start getting potential draftees to eat grass like les miles to prove they are “football guys” that won’t quit.

Overall tho I guess it’s “oh well” and wish the kid luck going forward.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
31 Jul 2021 15:06
BF004 wrote:
31 Jul 2021 13:52
#NeverForgot
Hold up you’re telling me JustJeffs name wasn’t Jeff…
He went by his middle name, as I recall.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Larry showing a few Tonyan clips from 2020 season...

Tonyan was trained as a WR in college, so his route running and hands were already starting to develop.
Then, Robert arrives in GB and learns the TE trade from Jimmy Graham and Marcedes Lewis. He also trains with George Kittle.
Can't ask for a better bevy of mentors than that.

I know its popular to call his 11 TDs in 2020 a "fluke", but I believe he's going to be even better in 2021

IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Barring injury a for sure top 5 TE in 2021, very possible top 3.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Tonyan is the player I think makes the most sense to sign and lock up during training camp for 3 years. But it may be really tough to arrive at an amount.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
02 Aug 2021 07:43
Tonyan is the player I think makes the most sense to sign and lock up during training camp for 3 years. But it may be really tough to arrive at an amount.
in a normal year/cap, that's the definitely the winning move and one the Packers have used previously.
But current cap constraints are making it really tough and so is agreeing on a value now - as you noted. The longer GB waits, the more it will cost- but I'm not sure they have a choice with Adams deal still pending
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
02 Aug 2021 10:48
in a normal year/cap, that's the definitely the winning move and one the Packers have used previously.
But current cap constraints are making it really tough and so is agreeing on a value now - as you noted. The longer GB waits, the more it will cost- but I'm not sure they have a choice with Adams deal still pending
Actually in this situation you want to extend the guys who have a lot of time left. It's a lot easier to manage a salary cap on a 5-year extension than on a 2-3 year extension. You can spread out the money and rely on a return to rising cap values to ease the burden as the numbers get bigger.

So giving Tonyan lonnnnggg term security and locking him up through his prime years still makes the most sense. I understand that we still want to see what we can do with Adams, but at this point, it almost makes more sense to use that cap space to re-sign Tonyan and probably MVS through their prime years and still have plenty leftover (as the two of them will not combine for $25 M/year), take the 3rd round comp pick for Davante, and draft multiple WRs with our extra picks from the impending Rodgers trade in 2022. I know we have a tough situation and a lot to get done, but not at the expense of letting young players walk and creating a missing middle class on the team.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
The Packers have not had an elite TE since Finley. Not resigning him would be foolish and the earlier they resign him, the less he will cost.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Aug 2021 11:04
BSA wrote:
02 Aug 2021 10:48
Actually in this situation you want to extend the guys who have a lot of time left. It's a lot easier to manage a salary cap on a 5-year extension than on a 2-3 year extension. You can spread out the money and rely on a return to rising cap values to ease the burden as the numbers get bigger.

So giving Tonyan lonnnnggg term security and locking him up through his prime years still makes the most sense. I understand that we still want to see what we can do with Adams, but at this point, it almost makes more sense to use that cap space to re-sign Tonyan and probably MVS through their prime years and still have plenty leftover (as the two of them will not combine for $25 M/year), take the 3rd round comp pick for Davante, and draft multiple WRs with our extra picks from the impending Rodgers trade in 2022. I know we have a tough situation and a lot to get done, but not at the expense of letting young players walk and creating a missing middle class on the team.
I agree with this completely.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

This is the Packers current cap situation. It is not updated for Dennis Kelly.
image.png
image.png (23.07 KiB) Viewed 267 times
This is Kelly's deal. So just subtract $1.325 Million.
image.png
image.png (9.98 KiB) Viewed 267 times
The Packers have roughly $10.5 Million in cap for 2021 when counting the top 51 contracts. I don't know how this gets impacted once we count the remaining 2 players on the 53 plus the 10 Practice squad players.

I would project you can subtract another $3 to $4 million for those.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
02 Aug 2021 11:06
go pak go wrote:
The Packers have not had an elite TE since Finley. Not resigning him would be foolish and the earlier they resign him, the less he will cost.
It all depends on the price. I dont consider Tonyan a top 5 TE like most on this board do. If he wants top 5 money hes looking at $12 million. Thats just unreasonable IMO.

IF he wants something in that 5-10 range he would be sitting around $8 million which I think is fair. On the FA market though I would suspect he gets more.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Top 10 TE contract by average:
image.png
image.png (76.67 KiB) Viewed 251 times
IF we extend him in the next few months we could get him at the $9-10 million range and realize by the end of 2021 that we got a very team friendly deal.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 02 Aug 2021 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
02 Aug 2021 13:16
It all depends on the price. I dont consider Tonyan a top 5 TE like most on this board do. If he wants top 5 money hes looking at $12 million. Thats just unreasonable IMO.

IF he wants something in that 5-10 range he would be sitting around $8 million which I think is fair. On the FA market though I would suspect he gets more.
Nah, I feel like if we give him a 5-year $60 million extension, he's on a 6-year, $63 million deal and by the end of it he'll be relatively cheap as the position salaries continue to rise. Absolutely I'll give him a Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith deal (both got $12.5M in free agency). Top 5 now is gonna be outside the top ten by the end of a longer deal. That's how you have to pay young talent.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Patrick Taylor has been activated and practice today. :)
Yoop wrote:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
02 Aug 2021 16:06
Patrick Taylor has been activated and practice today. :)
It will be interesting to see how the RB room shapes up at cutdown time and the Packers have continued to keep Taylor around.
Jones and Dillon will get the lion's share of carries. In the past, RB3 plays special teams, including KR for a few of them.
GB also has 2 additional players who can tote the rock - Amari Rodgers and Josiah Deguara. So it will be really interesting to see the battle between draft pick Hill and Patrick Taylor for that final RB slot. What traits/skills/size will the Packers value more for RB3?
IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
02 Aug 2021 16:34
What traits/skills/size will the Packers value more for RB3?
I think the answer to this question is whatever skills Kylin Hill has got.

But I'm really, really looking forward to the RB battle. And we hopefully will be blessed to have a really good RB on our Practice Squad.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Honestly, Dexter Williams and Patrick Turner opr Taylor or whoever are interesting guys who could have decent reserve roles in this league, but whatever Kylin Hill's draft status, we have three studs at RB and all this talk about the RB battle for RB3 is a joke to me. Kylin Hill is awesome. He's a versatile, "lead the SEC in rushing yards" caliber of RB. It's fun to develop potentially useful players at the bottom fo the roster, but our depth chart is just too stacked for it to matter at RB.

There's a battle between Dexter Williams, Patrick T and another position for roster spot #53. Enjoy that, because those dudes are better than your normal guy down there. But that's where we are. Kylin Hill is too good and appears to be showing up as such

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
03 Aug 2021 10:41
Another one bites the dust. It's got to be hard when you look at a depth chart and realize you don't even have a sliver of hope.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
03 Aug 2021 10:44
paco wrote:
03 Aug 2021 10:41
Another one bites the dust. It's got to be hard when you look at a depth chart and realize you don't even have a sliver of hope.
Dang, that was my guy!!

Why not at least soak it up and enjoy the ride until they cut you?
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur