General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
03 Aug 2021 10:44
paco wrote:
03 Aug 2021 10:41
Another one bites the dust. It's got to be hard when you look at a depth chart and realize you don't even have a sliver of hope.
I am actually shocked by this. I thought this guy had a clear path to the Practice Squad and with next year 2 to 3 WR's no longer being on the team, there is a real shot a Psquad guy this year has a shot next year.

Plus you make good money on the practice squad. He must have had another good opportunity show up.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
03 Aug 2021 10:46
NCF wrote:
paco wrote:
Another one bites the dust. It's got to be hard when you look at a depth chart and realize you don't even have a sliver of hope.
Dang, that was my guy!!

Why not at least soak it up and enjoy the ride until they cut you?
Maybe got a real world job offer he couldn't turn down? Who knows. Some thought he could make the PS, but that's not how everyone wants to live. He was a long shot to ever make an NFL roster.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 Aug 2021 10:47
NCF wrote:
paco wrote:
I am actually shocked by this. I thought this guy had a clear path to the Practice Squad and with next year 2 to 3 WR's no longer being on the team, there is a real shot a Psquad guy this year has a shot next year.

Plus you make good money on the practice squad. He must have had another good opportunity show up.
awe man, Rodgers needed to go to bat for this big play phenom :rotf:

I love the small school guys that ball out, and if ya watch any vids of Billy thats what you'll see, if the ball touches his hand he'll some how make the catch, oh well, can't keep everyone.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

"LaFleur said that he loves Kamal Martin's aggressiveness but as far as him practicing second or third team so far, he said that Martin has to earn his way onto the field. From early going it looks like Krys Barnes, De'Vondre Campbell and Ty Summers are ahead of him at ILB."

Its still early ! But it looks like the JustJeff forum over-rated Kamal Martin in the rank- the- roster polls ( #30)
IT. IS. TIME

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

BSA wrote:
04 Aug 2021 11:34

"LaFleur said that he loves Kamal Martin's aggressiveness but as far as him practicing second or third team so far, he said that Martin has to earn his way onto the field. From early going it looks like Krys Barnes, De'Vondre Campbell and Ty Summers are ahead of him at ILB."

Its still early ! But it looks like the JustJeff forum over-rated Kamal Martin in the rank- the- roster polls ( #30)

Such a great movie :lol:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Word is they are trying out Martin at OLB.

That's usually not a good sign.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
04 Aug 2021 12:55

Agreed- its not a great sign, but its also not a death knell either.
If you think about it from the POV of only 48 active players on Sundays, the HC will favor a depth player who can handle 2 roles. So its also an opportunity for Martin to carve out a hybrid role. GB has done this in the past with CB/S guys who can do both in a pinch and that's their ticket to being activated on game day.
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
04 Aug 2021 13:09
go pak go wrote:
04 Aug 2021 12:55

Agreed- its not a great sign, but its also not a death knell either.
If you think about it from the POV of only 48 active players on Sundays, the HC will favor a depth player who can handle 2 roles. So its also an opportunity for Martin to carve out a hybrid role. GB has done this in the past with CB/S guys who can do both in a pinch and that's their ticket to being activated on game day.
It's fine to me in the circumstances.

Preston Smith specifically said in his presser that taking on Fackrell's role in more off-ball stuff led to a lot of his dip in production. The other guy who plays that role a lot was Randy Ramsey, who just got likely knocked out for the year. They're looking for someone other than Preston to do that stuff, and trying Martin is fine. I think DeVondre should be doing it, too. Our longer athletic LBs make perfect sense to play the coverage/blitz OLB role, rather than more of an edge OLB role. Spider Garvin is the next guy up taking Ramsey's snaps. They probably want a better alternative for that than a second year 7th rounder who primarily has played on the line rather than off the ball his whole career.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

we got pass rushers, what we need is pass coverage, sooooooo, again, if we are going to use more base ( 50 fronts, 3 down, two up) then we need more then just P.Smith that can drop into coverage, or like last year we become to obvious in our coverages, and P. Smith looses half his battles in coverage, Martin should match up well on most TE's and even RB's.

agree, the more players ya can move around, the better, less substitution, so if ya can move a Martin from edge to ILB it takes time for the QB to account for every defender, the goal is to have someone unchecked and a free run at the QB.

we saw a lot of energy and hustle last year from Martin, hopefully martin can put that to better use, I don't want to think we here at Just Jeffs pigskin Prattle ( original name) over valued him.

lets face it most of our picks in Waldo's exercise are barely more then educated guesses based on hope, wants and desires, it's amazing we are as accurate as we are :rotf:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/packers-ex ... 59229.html
Last edited by Yoop on 04 Aug 2021 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
04 Aug 2021 14:29
I think DeVondre should be doing it, too. Our longer athletic LBs make perfect sense to play the coverage/blitz OLB role,
DeVondre Campbell talked about this a bit in his presser saying he specialized in covering TEs - due to his size/athleticism. He noted that the big TEs just over- power the Safeties in coverage, but that wasn't the case for him.
IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Krys Barnes said today in his presser that he is now down to 235 pounds.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
04 Aug 2021 14:48
we got pass rushers, what we need is pass coverage, sooooooo, again, if we are going to use more base ( 50 fronts, 3 down, two up) then we need more then just P.Smith that can drop into coverage, or like last year we become to obvious in our coverages, and P. Smith looses half his battles in coverage, Martin should match up well on most TE's and even RB's.

agree, the more players ya can move around, the better, less substitution, so if ya can move a Martin from edge to ILB it takes time for the QB to account for every defender, the goal is to have someone unchecked and a free run at the QB.

we saw a lot of energy and hustle last year from Martin, hopefully martin can put that to better use, I don't want to think we here at Just Jeffs pigskin Prattle ( original name) over valued him.

lets face it most of our picks in Waldo's exercise are barely more then educated guesses based on hope, wants and desires, it's amazing we are as accurate as we are :rotf:

I think our coverage is good enough. I really didn’t think they were that bad last year, especially once Savage got his head out of his ass the 2nd half of the season. King stinks but Stokes should take that over.

I thought the biggest problem was down and distance. It’s hard to stop the past when you are constantly behind the eight ball. Team had a lot of favorable 2nd and 3rd downs because our run defense was so bad. That’s the biggest thing for me. I think that was also a big reason why our pass rushers struggled. It helps them when they have better down and distances to work with.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Aug 2021 22:38
Yoop wrote:

I think our coverage is good enough. I really didn’t think they were that bad last year, especially once Savage got his head out of his ass the 2nd half of the season. King stinks but Stokes should take that over.

I thought the biggest problem was down and distance. It’s hard to stop the past when you are constantly behind the eight ball. Team had a lot of favorable 2nd and 3rd downs because our run defense was so bad. That’s the biggest thing for me. I think that was also a big reason why our pass rushers struggled. It helps them when they have better down and distances to work with.
Let's call a spade a spade right now.

Stokes has been absolutely been lit up in Training Camp so far. It's not games so that is good. But Juwann Winfree added his name of WRs to the list who has embarrassed Stokes.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
05 Aug 2021 05:57
lupedafiasco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Stokes has been absolutely been lit up in Training Camp so far. It's not games so that is good. But Juwann Winfree added his name of WRs to the list who has embarrassed Stokes.
ok, but what rookie CB doesn't get burned, heres a snip from JS online

Stokes is getting burned a lot in training camp, but the fact all-pro Davante Adams is doing a lot of it has kept Stokes' spirits high. The first-round pick out of Georgia is experiencing what Jaire Alexander did three years ago and it wound up making him a better cornerback.

can't make a omelet without first busting a few eggs, Stokes is simply dealing with better receivers, better pass routes and the best QB in the league, as Savage said after one torching, ya wont face many number 12 and 17's in this league, don't become discouraged.

Lupe: my comment concerning coverage mostly centered on Martin and our OLB's being able to drop and cover, sounds like we are also doing that some with Campbell

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Alright well I haven’t really taken a deep dive into this new D yet. Whats Stoked expected to play, man or zone primarily?

Bc in college at UGA he got burnt plenty in man. He’s a super fast straight line sprinter, but his “twitch” or stop and start speed seems to be pretty average. One might say he has somewhat stiff hips.

On the other hand, he has really good instincts and has a knack for making plays. When he gets lost he can use his straight line speed to make up for it and get himself back in the play.

He’s a rookie, not surprised he’s getting torched at all this camp. Especially being picked on primarily by 12 and 17. That said, he seems more like a zone guy to me. Somebody who can see the area he is supposed to cover, and run to where he needs to go when the ball comes in his area.

No idea if that’s a possibility for this scheme, but he is built for that kind of role.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
05 Aug 2021 08:03
go pak go wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

ok, but what rookie CB doesn't get burned, heres a snip from JS online

Stokes is getting burned a lot in training camp, but the fact all-pro Davante Adams is doing a lot of it has kept Stokes' spirits high. The first-round pick out of Georgia is experiencing what Jaire Alexander did three years ago and it wound up making him a better cornerback.

can't make a omelet without first busting a few eggs, Stokes is simply dealing with better receivers, better pass routes and the best QB in the league, as Savage said after one torching, ya wont face many number 12 and 17's in this league, don't become discouraged.

Lupe: my comment concerning coverage mostly centered on Martin and our OLB's being able to drop and cover, sounds like we are also doing that some with Campbell
I don't care when it's Adams burning Stokes. I will understand when that happens. And that was a popular storyline from last week of how "Stokes mentality is good. yada yada yada."...I've heard all that.

I do start noticing when it's Juwann Winfree burning Stokes. Now I am excited about Winfree. But this is a roster castoff/practice squad guy destroying our 1st round pick and fastest guy on the field.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I said when we took Stokes I have my concerns with him in coverage because his feet are terrible and all over the place. He should still be better than King. I'll wait a bit to call Stokes a Charred Caprese Sandwich.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

go pak go wrote:
05 Aug 2021 09:04
I do start noticing when it's Juwann Winfree burning Stokes. Now I am excited about Winfree. But this is a roster castoff/practice squad guy destroying our 1st round pick and fastest guy on the field.
If Winfree keeps this up there's basically zero shot for Funchess or ESB to make the roster.

Adams
Cobb
MVS
Lazard
Rogers

are locks.

If a 6th WR is kept, it would certainly be a guy like Winfree to develop, not a meh vet like Funchess or ESB. For either to make the roster, it's going to take an injury or they are going to have to take MVS' or Lazard's spot, good luck with that.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Waldo wrote:
05 Aug 2021 09:36
If Winfree keeps this up there's basically zero shot for Funchess or ESB to make the roster.

Adams
Cobb
MVS
Lazard
Rogers

are locks.

If a 6th WR is kept, it would certainly be a guy like Winfree to develop, not a meh vet like Funchess or ESB. For either to make the roster, it's going to take an injury or they are going to have to take MVS' or Lazard's spot, good luck with that.
I think the Funchess versus Lazard battle is going to be potentially real. Similar players, similar body types, similar dropsies, similar not-fast. Funchess is more of a middle-of-the-field weapon and Lazard is more of a "right place, right time" Rodgers fave. Will be interesting to see how that plays out with the front office and Rodgers