Roster

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Roster

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Just took a peek at the roster going into Family Night at https://www.packers.com/team/players-roster/

A few initial takeaways:
No fullback
Gotta root for Daniel Crawford #80 (from Northern Illinois University)
Burks, Summers and Sternberger are still there.

Best new names
Coy Cronk #65
Willington Previlon #99
Tipa Galeai #50
Isaac Nauta #82

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
07 Aug 2021 06:23
Just took a peek at the roster going into Family Night at https://www.packers.com/team/players-roster/

A few initial takeaways:
No fullback

Best new names
Coy Cronk #65
Willington Previlon #99
Tipa Galeai #50
Isaac Nauta #82
Why would Sternberger still being there be significant? Why wouldn't he be?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
07 Aug 2021 08:10
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

A few initial takeaways:
No fullback

Best new names
Coy Cronk #65
Willington Previlon #99
Tipa Galeai #50
Isaac Nauta #82
cause he hasn't played even as much as the rest, Sternberger is lucky he was a 3rd round pick, or he wouldn't be, you can get more production from almost any player then we have from Sternberger

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
07 Aug 2021 08:17
TheSkeptic wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

A few initial takeaways:
No fullback

Best new names
Coy Cronk #65
Willington Previlon #99
Tipa Galeai #50
Isaac Nauta #82
cause he hasn't played even as much as the rest, Sternberger is lucky he was a 3rd round pick, or he wouldn't be, you can get more production from almost any player then we have from Sternberger
When he has been healthy he has been fine. The problem is that he has not been healthy. But his injuries have not been the kind that affect him long term. In his rookie season he missed most of the pre-season and 10 games of the regular season with an ankle injury. Last season he missed 4 games with a head injury.

Now, admittedly it does not help that he is going to miss 2 games to start the season but this is an alcohol related suspension, not steroids or long term drug abuse.

Plus word from TC is that he has bulked up and has not lost speed so he may be the ideal 2nd TE.

You don't cut a 3rd round draft pick that just turned 25 because he was hurt in his first 2 years. Especially not a TE that normally takes 2 years to become productive.

fyi, Tonyan had only 14 receptions in 27 games vs 12 receptions in 18 games for Sternberger in their first 2 years.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I get mad at players and want them gone when they are a liability.

Sternberger is not a liability.

The only TE have more yards than Sternberger last year was Tonayan.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
07 Aug 2021 11:48
Yoop wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

When he has been healthy he has been fine. The problem is that he has not been healthy. But his injuries have not been the kind that affect him long term. In his rookie season he missed most of the pre-season and 10 games of the regular season with an ankle injury. Last season he missed 4 games with a head injury.

Now, admittedly it does not help that he is going to miss 2 games to start the season but this is an alcohol related suspension, not steroids or long term drug abuse.

Plus word from TC is that he has bulked up and has not lost speed so he may be the ideal 2nd TE.

You don't cut a 3rd round draft pick that just turned 25 because he was hurt in his first 2 years. Especially not a TE that normally takes 2 years to become productive.

fyi, Tonyan had only 14 receptions in 27 games vs 12 receptions in 18 games for Sternberger in their first 2 years.
Sterny gets another chance because he's the only TE on the roster with the makeup of an athletic all-around TE. Dafney is the poor man's version. Sterny is currently the best option to take over Tonyan's role in case of injury without having to adjust the scheme.

The others that are called TEs like Deguara and Lewis have different roles. Deguara is the FB, tho not a traditional one. Lewis and Nauta are extra OL with hands to catch some surprise passes.

Do I wish Sternberger had shown more at this point? Absolutely. He could very well be a bust. We'll see.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, I kinda wanted to yeet Sternberger outta here myself, but he has by all accounts had a strong camp. 'Sounds like he is starting to hit his stride (at around the same time that most young TEs start to hit it if they have any hope of being worthwhile players in the league).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
07 Aug 2021 11:48
Yoop wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

well Tonyan I believe was a 7th round pick, basically a udfa WR so it's expected a guy like that would need more coaching up, Stern was a 3rd round TE, thats never hardly showed us anything, and he had 12 healthy games to impress last year and didn't, so as I said draft status is what is giving him a opertunity this season, and hopefully he makes the best of it.

not that Burks, Summers are better of, I give a player 3 seasons, if there not starting or the #1 backup after that time I'am going to try and replace them, and I think that is how a GM has to feel about this stuff other wise ya become the Chicago Bears or DEtroit Lions and known as a grooming stop over for used car salesman :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
07 Aug 2021 13:31
your such a HATER , you hated poor BJ and Eddie :rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
07 Aug 2021 14:32
go pak go wrote:
07 Aug 2021 13:31
your such a HATER , you hated poor BJ and Eddie :rotf:
Where did I ever say Eddie? :dunno:
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Sternberger was always going to need time. Injuries has definitely slowed his progression. You’ve gotta remember he was a JUCO kid and did 1 year at A&M.

I think this year we do see what Sternberger us to offer and next year will be a breakout year for him.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Aug 2021 00:11
Sternberger was always going to need time. Injuries has definitely slowed his progression. You’ve gotta remember he was a JUCO kid and did 1 year at A&M.

I think this year we do see what Sternberger us to offer and next year will be a breakout year for him.
By all reports he has looked really good in camp this year too. I'm excited to watch him in preseason as he is going to get a lot of snaps.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

he looked pretty good last night, caught a few passes, one looked like he did a 180 and was a tough catch, Love looked pretty good to, quick reads and accurate throws, the RB's Taylor and Hill also showed some talent, patience allowing the blockers to create openings and burst once it was clear, I've only watched a little, plan to watch the rest today.

I've come to the conclusion that I want a ROCK bobblehead :lol: I love Larry MaCarran but I get a bit dizzy watching his head bobble up and down as he's explaining how much he likes this player or that one :lol:

everyone speaks volumns of love for our new ILB Campbell, super dependable, big, long, quick, are just a few of the words that describe him, maybe we finally found ourselves a complete MLB.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I think we may actually have something with Campbell.

But I was pretty excited about Kirksy last August too and that faded immediately after watching him week 1
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
08 Aug 2021 09:17

But I was pretty excited about Kirksy last August too and that faded immediately after watching him week 1
little diff. then Kirksey, Campbell has hardly missed any playing time to injury, and seems much better in coverage, and for a 6'4 and 235 lber looks light on his feet, and agile, lose hips, everything we've looked for at mlb for years now.

plus look at what Leonard just got, the cost of a quality mlb has just shot up.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
08 Aug 2021 10:59
go pak go wrote:
08 Aug 2021 09:17

little diff. then Kirksey, Campbell has hardly missed any playing time to injury, and seems much better in coverage, and for a 6'4 and 235 lber looks light on his feet, and agile, lose hips, everything we've looked for at mlb for years now.

plus look at what Leonard just got, the cost of a quality mlb has just shot up.
He is faster for sure. He was also on the scrap heap of FA's for a reason.

Like most things, I will just wait. Excited to watch him this coming Saturday.

I CANNOT WAIT until some football this Saturday. Wish we didn't play such a dumpster fire of a team.
Yoop wrote:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I'm starting to think Lazard's roster spot is in jeopardy. Adams, Cobb, MVS, and Rodgers are all safe locks. I dont think you trade for Cobb to make Rodgers happy and cut him. Rodgers obviously a rookie. Adams obviously a god. MVS is the only guy on the team to legitimately stretch a D.

I'm not a Funchess supporter at all. I think he is a waste of height and talent who doesnt try hard to maximize his abilities. That said he does have god given, natural talent. Neither one can excel at STs. Lazard has some history on teams. Funchess has recently said hes willing to contribute.

I think the Packers carry 6 but only one of Funchess and Lazard make it and I think Lazard ends up the odd man out.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Aug 2021 09:06
I'm starting to think Lazard's roster spot is in jeopardy. Adams, Cobb, MVS, and Rodgers are all safe locks. I dont think you trade for Cobb to make Rodgers happy and cut him. Rodgers obviously a rookie. Adams obviously a god. MVS is the only guy on the team to legitimately stretch a D.

I'm not a Funchess supporter at all. I think he is a waste of height and talent who doesnt try hard to maximize his abilities. That said he does have god given, natural talent. Neither one can excel at STs. Lazard has some history on teams. Funchess has recently said hes willing to contribute.

I think the Packers carry 6 but only one of Funchess and Lazard make it and I think Lazard ends up the odd man out.
Ya, well, he can't be making any more slant eye remarks, he's walking on egg shells with Guty :rotf:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Aug 2021 09:06

Really? You think that the player that led the league in drop % on his previous team is going to make it and our WR#2 from last season is not?

Alan Lazard 40 time: 4.55 Funchess: 4.70 - that is TE time and he ran it at only 236 pounds. By comparison Tonyan ran a 4.58 at the identical weight.

And to top it off, Funchess has twice the salary cap that Lazard does.
Last edited by TheSkeptic on 09 Aug 2021 11:27, edited 1 time in total.