Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
08 Aug 2021 16:18
go pak go wrote:
08 Aug 2021 15:11
Then during 2019 it was, "we should have taken Fant" because we didn't have a TE and Fant was a TE.

Then in 2020 it became Jeffery Simmons because he started playing well, or at least you took notice, and Tonyan filled that TE hole that was previously complained about so gotta find the next gap in the roster to use hindsight on.

I mean at least stick to your guy. Stick to your guns. You were a Cody Ford Dancing Bear guy through and through. That' who we should have taken at 12.
we all thought it would be great to finally get a guy like Bush, but I don't remember ever wanting to trade up for him, and I have no idea where you are coming from with Cody Ford, he was never even a player I liked that much
Yeah good call. That was mike. Blame mike! ;)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

the great DT's are so few, course thats why the good ones make QB type money.
Like... What???
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
08 Aug 2021 16:29
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:
08 Aug 2021 15:11
Then during 2019 it was, "we should have taken Fant" because we didn't have a TE and Fant was a TE.

Then in 2020 it became Jeffery Simmons because he started playing well, or at least you took notice, and Tonyan filled that TE hole that was previously complained about so gotta find the next gap in the roster to use hindsight on.

I mean at least stick to your guy. Stick to your guns. You were a Cody Ford Dancing Bear guy through and through. That' who we should have taken at 12.
we all thought it would be great to finally get a guy like Bush, but I don't remember ever wanting to trade up for him, and I have no idea where you are coming from with Cody Ford, he was never even a player I liked that much
Bush went higher then some of us figured, but he was 2nd on my wish list to Josh Allen the DE, Cody Ford was he even in that draft???? :dunno:

PFF graded Simmons #13 of all DT's after last season and the best from his draft class, yep, better then the 4 picked prior to him.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-interior-d ... nfl-season

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Jags shopping CJ Henderson. Top 10 pick in 2020. I would love to bring him on. Talented play in the cheap for years to come.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
09 Aug 2021 12:06
Jags shopping CJ Henderson. Top 10 pick in 2020. I would love to bring him on. Talented play in the cheap for years to come.
There’s gotta be something more to this.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Aug 2021 12:12
Backthepack4ever wrote:
There is - he isn’t sure he wants to play anymore.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

lake shark wrote:
09 Aug 2021 12:15
lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Aug 2021 12:12
Backthepack4ever wrote:
There is - he isn’t sure he wants to play anymore.

Saw that rumor along with some mental health stuff. Rumors but still if low risk high reward. Get him in a good locker room and find him help he might need.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
08 Aug 2021 17:03
go pak go wrote:
08 Aug 2021 16:29
Yoop wrote:

Bush went higher then some of us figured, but he was 2nd on my wish list to Josh Allen the DE, Cody Ford was he even in that draft???? :dunno:
So you hated that we drafted Gary. An EDGE because we have too many edges and he will never see the field. But your #1 wanted player for the 2019 Draft was an EDGE.

huh.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Can still search the old forum. An army of posts by mike involving the word 'Ford' as it pertains to the 2019 draft. I don't believe you once used the word 'Simmons' before the 2019 draft on that forum. Two times, but both times it looks quoted. Forum getting goofy how, so hard to say for sure.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
09 Aug 2021 13:32
Can still search the old forum. An army of posts by mike involving the word 'Ford' as it pertains to the 2019 draft. I don't believe you once used the word 'Simmons' before the 2019 draft on that forum. Two times, but both times it looks quoted. Forum getting goofy how, so hard to say for sure.
I probably didn't mention Gary either, thing is I probably had interest in at least a doz. or more players, we all throw a bunch of names around, doesn't matter anyway, on the day of the draft ( when I new we had little chance for Even Bush let alone the very highly rated Allen) Gary was the last player on my mind.

I really liked Allen, but once we bought the Smiths, the edge rushing position had been fixed, time to move to maybe a ILB, or a TE, or obviously a DT, I think I did mention Simmons, Dexter too, point is Gary was known as a under producer at Mi. fact his play partner OLB had more production, so Gary was a surprise pick in more ways then one, we had already fixed the position, and other edge rushers rated higher that where still available, Burns had about 8 sacks and missed 4 or 5 games, Sweat I think had 4 sacks.

nice to have a insurance policy at edge rusher, I get that, depth is great at that position, however having someone as disruptive as Clark inside improves pass rush capability to, and Simmons is that guy, Gary offered us nothing against SF in that playoff game, I'am pretty sure Simmons would have, same with slot receiver in last years loss.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

once we bought the Smiths, the edge rushing position had been fixed, time to move to... we had already fixed the position...
Only fixed in hindsight. It could have very well not been fixed, but luckily both played lights out in 2019. Neither Smith was a sure thing. It's always easy in hindsight to say this move would have worked out better or we shouldn't have made this move because it didn't work out. It's more of the reasoning behind the decisions that matter.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Aug 2021 15:00
once we bought the Smiths, the edge rushing position had been fixed, time to move to... we had already fixed the position...
Only fixed in hindsight. It could have very well not been fixed, but luckily both played lights out in 2019. Neither Smith was a sure thing.
It was fixed better then it had been for several years, what wasn't fixed was replacing the very mediocre spot next to Clark at DT, and we still don't know that it's fixed yet, like Labreve said, edge rusher isn't the only pass rushing position, in fact, lately, the best pass rushing teams get half there pressure from interior DL players.

all I know is quality DT's are expensive and hard to find, getting 3 or 4 good years on a rookie contract from one is fantastic, quality edge rushers are more plentiful imo.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Its really freeing mentally to not care about players in the slightest until they have been drafted by the Packers. To come at it having formed no opinion on the players picked, or any other players picked by any other team for that matter..

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
09 Aug 2021 15:11
Pckfn23 wrote:
Only fixed in hindsight. It could have very well not been fixed, but luckily both played lights out in 2019. Neither Smith was a sure thing.
It was fixed better then it had been for several years, what wasn't fixed was replacing the very mediocre spot next to Clark at DT, and we still don't know that it's fixed yet, like Labreve said, edge rusher isn't the only pass rushing position,
Sure a DT may have been nice too, but an EDGE was not an improper use of resources.
in fact, lately, the best pass rushing teams get half there pressure from interior DL players.
Please stop making things up...
all I know is quality DT's are expensive and hard to find, getting 3 or 4 good years on a rookie contract from one is fantastic, quality edge rushers are more plentiful imo.
And yet DTs take a long time to develop and have a high bust rate, or so I have been told.

Sure, it would always be great to get 4 good years from a guy on a rookie contract, but it doesn't happen a lot. It also doesn't me that player pick is a bust or a bad use of resources if he doesn't give you 3 good years on his rookie deal.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Aug 2021 15:34
made nothing up, the best pass rush units get a lot of there pressure from interior lineman, no I didn't bring data, WTF why don't you go look it up, Pitts burg had the best pressure to snap ratio in the last 15 years because they have great pass rushing lineman, guys with plus 60 pressures, we didn't get that with P. Smith and Gary combined, so please forget telling me the merits of having a deep edge rush group, I simply would have chosen the interior path for that security, cripes we went years with basically Mathews and ...... insert any backup caliber OLB of your chosing.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
09 Aug 2021 16:01
Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Aug 2021 15:34
made nothing up, the best pass rush units get a lot of there pressure from interior lineman, no I didn't bring data, WTF why don't you go look it up, Pitts burg had the best pressure to snap ratio in the last 15 years because they have great pass rushing lineman, guys with plus 60 pressures, we didn't get that with P. Smith and Gary combined, so please forget telling me the merits of having a deep edge rush group, I simply would have chosen the interior path for that security, cripes we went years with basically Mathews and ...... insert any backup caliber OLB of your chosing.
The Pittsburgh Steelers from 2020 had 86 pressures from their 7 deffensive linemen. Bud Dupree, Alex Highsmith, and T.J. Watt had 101 pressures alone. That doesn't include any of the other OLBs, any ILBs, or any DBs. That is what you consider the best pass rushing team in 2020 and their defensive line didn't come close to half their pressures. You literally made that up. Next time, I will not do your dirty work for you when you make something up.

Very very few interior defensive lineman have 60+ pressures in a year. Aaron Donald did it in 2018 only.

Not sure why we are comparing Preston Smith and Rashon Gary to 2018 Aaron Donald. What does that have to do with the merits of a deep edge rushing group. Also, that wasn't the point, the point wasn't about depth per say, but finding 2 quality starters.

Now we are talking about Clay Matthews... :thwap:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Only fixed in hindsight. It could have very well not been fixed, but luckily both played lights out in 2019. Neither Smith was a sure thing. It's always easy in hindsight to say this move would have worked out better or we shouldn't have made this move because it didn't work out. It's more of the reasoning behind the decisions that matter.
I mean both matter right (I know everyone here agrees with this).

We all agree and understand that hindsight is ultimately the most important judge to use. I have no problem using hindsight to criticize or praise certain moves. But as you stated, perspective at that time is also important to understand the reasoning behind decisions. I mean I was totally on board with Edge for that draft. Nearly everyone on this board was. There was a reason we talked about Clelin Farrel, Josh Allen, Montez Sweat, Brian Burns like crazy even after we signed the Smiths.

Even all said, I think if we end up with 3 great pass rushers and can move from Preston to Gary immediately in 2022 with a gap year in 2021 where we have 3...I think that's an awesome thing to have.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Yoop wrote:
05 Aug 2021 11:41
. PITTSBURGH STEELERS
The Steelers are coming off one of the best pass-rushing seasons we’ve seen since 2006, generating pressure on a whopping 45.1% of their pass-rushing snaps over the regular season.

It was a well-rounded effort, with Defensive Player of the Year hopeful T.J. Watt leading the way with 73 total pressures (third in the NFL) and both Stephon Tuitt (71 pressures) and Cameron Heyward (62 pressures) not far behind that mark. Having three of the top 10 pressure producers on the same defense is a remarkable feat, particularly considering Pittsburgh lost starting edge defender Bud Dupree midway through the seas
I brought the PFF link to this, it's somewhere in here.

I don't know where you got your data 23, but it's BS, and I made up nothing, the length you wont go to win a argument, that a 133 pressures from two interior lineman,, the year prior it was the Rams with Donald, if we had better production next to Clark so he would be doubled every snap, he could be in the 50 pressure range, but no we take a backup lber that has hardly done squat.

so deceiving of you to leave these two DT right out of the conversation, this is why I put you on ignore, wanna see a liar, take a look in the mirror.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
09 Aug 2021 16:27
Pckfn23 wrote:

We all agree and understand that hindsight is ultimately the most important judge to use. I have no problem using hindsight to criticize or praise certain moves. But as you stated, perspective at that time is also important to understand the reasoning behind decisions. I mean I was totally on board with Edge for that draft. Nearly everyone on this board was. There was a reason we talked about Clelin Farrel, Josh Allen, Montez Sweat, Brian Burns like crazy even after we signed the Smiths.

Even all said, I think if we end up with 3 great pass rushers and can move from Preston to Gary immediately in 2022 with a gap year in 2021 where we have 3...I think that's an awesome thing to have.
no, no, no one was on board with taking a edge rusher after we signed the Smiths, not anyone I remember anyway, like me, once the Smiths where signed we where all looking at other positions.

we all liked the guys on that list prior, and most of us liked this DT class too, I remember plenty of talk for that Dexter fella, though he is mostly a run stopper.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
09 Aug 2021 19:34
go pak go wrote:
09 Aug 2021 16:27
Pckfn23 wrote:

no, no, no one was on board with taking a edge rusher after we signed the Smiths, not anyone I remember anyway, like me, once the Smiths where signed we where all looking at other positions.

we all liked the guys on that list prior, and most of us liked this DT class too, I remember plenty of talk for that Dexter fella, though he is mostly a run stopper.
Yes. Dexter Lawrence was discussed quite a bit for our 30th pick. I LOVED Lawrence and Simmons at Pick 30 and was very certain one of them would fall to us there. Nasir Aderly was my covet with our 2nd rounder.

But honestly yoop. You yourself even admitted you liked Josh Allen as your #1 literally a few posts ago. We signed the Smiths the first day of FA so it was a good nearly 7 to 8 weeks before the draft. Your arguments are just becoming so transactional. You pick fights to pick fights and you quickly dismiss something a week later to again just one up a current transactional fight.

You are either trolling or literally don't have the care to remember or look up what you are trying to say. Either way I'm getting tired of it.

I'm taking a hiatus from these conversations (not leaving the forum. Just these specific conversations). I will gladly converse again when you bring some credibility, continuity, etc back to discussions.

But right now it's just making stuff up, conveniently "forgetting things" or picking fights to pick fights. I hope to be celebrating with you on Saturdays and Sundays soon. Cheers. :beer2:
Yoop wrote: