General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I doubt Funchess is actually a 4.7 guy. Which would render him useless. No one has seen him play for years. Definitely an exciting one to watch in preseason. May be a keeper, may be a cut.

Lazard is no great athlete. He is a detail-oriented WR, which can elevate one's game quite a bit. Adams is not a 99 rated WR on Madden based on his body alone. He is physically nothing especially imposing. He makes himself more than that by wasting no motion, and by being more sharp and savvy than others.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

salmar80 wrote:
14 Aug 2021 04:37
I doubt Funchess is actually a 4.7 guy. Which would render him useless. No one has seen him play for years. Definitely an exciting one to watch in preseason. May be a keeper, may be a cut.

Lazard is no great athlete. He is a detail-oriented WR, which can elevate one's game quite a bit. Adams is not a 99 rated WR on Madden based on his body alone. He is physically nothing especially imposing. He makes himself more than that by wasting no motion, and by being more sharp and savvy than others.
Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6042
Weight: 232

Zybek PD3X AKA "Official"
40 Yard Dash (ET): 4.70
40 Yard Dash (HH): 4.61
20 Yard (ET): 2.74
20 Yard (HH): 2.58
10 Yard (ET): 1.66
10 Yard (HH): 1.56 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 17
Vertical Jump: 38 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'02"
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill: No Full Workout-Choice

He did much better in his pro day, for what they are worth.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
13 Aug 2021 20:14
Yoop wrote:
13 Aug 2021 15:24

this will all hash itself out I expect with PS games, makes for something to keep a eye on Sat. nite though.
we'll see who Love likes to throw to.
Again. I don't know how many times I need to say this.

Funchess
Winfree
EQSB

They are all hurt right now. I very much doubt they play tomorrow considering they didn't practice yesterday.

But I will agree that Winfree is the beautiful wildcard in all of this. I hope he gets suited up soon.
Well that’s dissapointing. Availability continues to be the best ability.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
14 Aug 2021 05:58
salmar80 wrote:
14 Aug 2021 04:37

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6042
Weight: 232

Zybek PD3X AKA "Official"
40 Yard Dash (ET): 4.70
40 Yard Dash (HH): 4.61
20 Yard (ET): 2.74
20 Yard (HH): 2.58
10 Yard (ET): 1.66
10 Yard (HH): 1.56 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 17
Vertical Jump: 38 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'02"
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill: No Full Workout-Choice

He did much better in his pro day, for what they are worth.
we love to use these stats just as coaches, GMs, and scouts do, diff. is, we use them as you are now to rate and compare to other players, where as once the draft is over Coaches, GM's and scouts put them in the players file rarely to ever be looked at again, because what they do in pads and on the field is what really matters.

Funchess is not straight line fast, but he has quick feet and short area burst and agility which is why he was a 2nd round pick, Lazard is straight line fast, but has tight hips, and lack that agility to cut sharply in and out of his breaks which is probably the reason he went undrafted, we took a flyer on him and with Rodgers maxed out his production, thats why I see Funchess as a player that could bounce back from injury and a season off going back to 2017 form, and Lazard as a player with not much room to improve.

but I'am mostly basing this from a very small sample of just some TC vids, so we'll have to see how this shakes out.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
14 Aug 2021 08:09

we love to use these stats just as coaches, GMs, and scouts do, diff. is, we use them as you are now to rate and compare to other players, where as once the draft is over Coaches, GM's and scouts put them in the players file rarely to ever be looked at again, because what they do in pads and on the field is what really matters.
A rare time we agree. But I agree.

Especially too it's kind of pointless to use combine figures for players who did it 4 years ago. Like that is a lifetime ago.

I do understand you can segregate "kind of player" by combine, but players can absolutely get faster or slower after being in the league.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Rodgers and Cobb taking to Instagram today to advocate bringing back Clay Matthews.

Nooooooooooooooo!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
14 Aug 2021 09:00
Rodgers and Cobb taking to Instagram today to advocate bringing back Clay Matthews.

Nooooooooooooooo!
I am actually not opposed to this. BUT. It is a vet minimum deal. Matthews, if still in shape, could actually be a great option for us for coverage. And if he can do STs that would be great too.

He actually played well when with the Rams in 2019.

A Matthews signing would result in Z/Gary playing a LOT of interior snaps.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:

Nooooooooooooooo!
Inmates trying to run the asylum as they say. Lol

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:

Nooooooooooooooo!
That’s not gonna happen. There’s no room for him. He would be the 4th best pass rusher and probably the 3rd best ILB and that’s being generous. He isn’t going to do anything for us on STs. I don’t think he’s done STs since college and a vet this deep into his career isn’t going to want to play on teams. That’s a young mans game.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

bringing back Mathews on a friendly team contract makes sense, lets face it P. Smith aint coming back, hell I'am shocked he's coming back at all, cept he caved to a restructure, Mathews could finish his career here, heck 2 years ago he had 8 sacks and probably 40 hurries, he was better then Clowney who some here thought we should bring in.

Al
@ao5050
·
Nov 28, 2020
Clay Matthews in 2019 had 8 Sks 2 FF 3 PD 9 TFL vs Jadeveon Clowney 2019 who had 3 Sks 4 FF 1 TD 3 PD
7 TFL yet Clowney gets signed by Titans for 12Million and Matthews remains as a FA. Dont understand the logic. And Clowney is on IR again

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
14 Aug 2021 09:49
Scott4Pack wrote:

Nooooooooooooooo!
That’s not gonna happen. There’s no room for him. He would be the 4th best pass rusher and probably the 3rd best ILB and that’s being generous. He isn’t going to do anything for us on STs. I don’t think he’s done STs since college and a vet this deep into his career isn’t going to want to play on teams. That’s a young mans game.
Get ST help elsewhere. That #4 rusher is more important. If the dollars work (no idea what he might command), seems like the kind of all in move we should, at least, consider.

I will say it now, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
14 Aug 2021 11:21
bringing back Mathews on a friendly team contract makes sense, lets face it P. Smith aint coming back, hell I'am shocked he's coming back at all, cept he caved to a restructure, Mathews could finish his career here, heck 2 years ago he had 8 sacks and probably 40 hurries, he was better then Clowney who some here thought we should bring in.

Al
@ao5050
·
Nov 28, 2020
Clay Matthews in 2019 had 8 Sks 2 FF 3 PD 9 TFL vs Jadeveon Clowney 2019 who had 3 Sks 4 FF 1 TD 3 PD
7 TFL yet Clowney gets signed by Titans for 12Million and Matthews remains as a FA. Dont understand the logic. And Clowney is on IR again
I just advocated for Watthews, but don’t bet against Preston. You want to quote 2019 stats, look at what Preston did.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Bringing back preston and then bringing in Clay wouldn’t make sense to me. Plus with Roster cuts already going to be tough I don’t want a one year guy taking the spot of young guy with some potential.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’d sign Gilbert Brown if it were me

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
14 Aug 2021 11:48
Yoop wrote:
14 Aug 2021 11:21

Al
@ao5050
·
Nov 28, 2020
I just advocated for Watthews, but don’t bet against Preston. You want to quote 2019 stats, look at what Preston did.
I just did, first off I just want to say that PFR is such a inconsistent reference sight, these people can't even add correctly

they have P. Smith marked 12 sacks. 11 hurries, 9 QBhts, for a total pressure count of 34, so where did these 2 extra pressures come from?

thing is Preston goes from averaging 6 sacks a season over 4 years with WAsh. to 8 sacks a year with us, and he's needed big sack seasons to get that average for both teams, obviously we are counting on a rebound season over last years 4 sacks.

I read that Mathews turned down a offer from Denver last year, probably because they low balled the offer, just maybe he'd take less to play here.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I find it interesting that the "Rodgers is acting ridiculous camp" is leaning more on the side of "screw it...get Rodgers what he wants and let's get this last dance team complete."

And the "Management screwed Rodgers camp and should concede to his every wish as the cost of drafting Love is like

..."this move makes no sense. We are already so deep at Linebacker"
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I just did, first off I just want to say that PFR is such a inconsistent reference sight, these people can't even add correctly

they have P. Smith marked 12 sacks. 11 hurries, 9 QBhts, for a total pressure count of 34, so where did these 2 extra pressures come from?
As you hover over pressures on Pro Football Reference you get this definition, "QB pressure (hurries + knockdowns + all sack plays (half and full for players, just full sacks for teams))." So in other words a .5 sack will count as a full pressure for a player. Preston Smith had 4 half sacks in 2019. THAT is where the 2 "extra" pressures comes from. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... elog/2019/

Clay Matthews didn't play for a team in 2020 after he was released by the Rams in March of 2020. There is probably a VERY good reason a 34 year old EDGE rusher/LB wasn't picked up for an entire year.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Aug 2021 12:45

As you hover over pressures on Pro Football Reference you get this definition, "QB pressure (hurries + knockdowns + all sack plays (half and full for players, just full sacks for teams))." So in other words a .5 sack will count as a full pressure for a player. Preston Smith had 4 half sacks in 2019. THAT is where the 2 "extra" pressures comes from. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... elog/2019/

Clay Matthews didn't play for a team in 2020 after he was released by the Rams in March of 2020. There is probably a VERY good reason a 34 year old EDGE rusher/LB wasn't picked up for an entire year.
where is this 1/2 sack listed? do they also count it as a QBHT, see this is why I don't like this reference sight and never have, the joggle this stuff around so much that all it's good for is giving a close idea of reality.

PFF does a better and more concise job of tabulating this stuff, hell PFR total pressures differ from PFF by as much as a 1/3, just go look at Aaron Donalds stats for his best season, PFR's totals are 30 less pressures then PFF, and it's the same or close for all players, but never the same % wise for any player.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
14 Aug 2021 12:31
I find it interesting that the "Rodgers is acting ridiculous camp" is leaning more on the side of "screw it...get Rodgers what he wants and let's get this last dance team complete."

And the "Management screwed Rodgers camp and should concede to his every wish as the cost of drafting Love is like

..."this move makes no sense. We are already so deep at Linebacker"
wha? I bet that Mathews is still better then anyone not named Smith or Gary, and Mathews is the one that emailed someone about wanting to play again for us, Rodgers and Cobb simply agreed they'd like him back.

you really hate that the FO caved in that Rodgers should have a voice in some personal decisions don't you? :rotf:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
14 Aug 2021 12:55
Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Aug 2021 12:45

where is this 1/2 sack listed? do they also count it as a QBHT, see this is why I don't like this reference sight and never have, the joggle this stuff around so much that all it's good for is giving a close idea of reality.

PFF does a better and more concise job of tabulating this stuff, hell PFR total pressures differ from PFF by as much as a 1/3, just go look at Aaron Donalds stats for his best season, PFR's totals are 30 less pressures then PFF, and it's the same or close for all players, but never the same % wise for any player.
The .5 sack is listed as a .5 sack... Since a sack is a pressure, a .5 sack is also a pressure. There is no "joggling" around. It is spelled out very clearly.

PFR is obviously more conservative when handing out hurries. Hurries are subjective. That doesn't make either better or worse. It really doesn't matter if PFF does a better and more concise job or not, anyway. We, as a general fan, have no way to access that data without coughing up an extraordinary amount of money.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 14 Aug 2021 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."