Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
10 Aug 2021 18:43
The NFL just made it official in a memo to clubs:

"Unlimited players can return from a team’s injured reserve list in 2021 and they’re eligible after missing 3 games, rather than 8 weeks, per source. A popular change spawned by COVID challenges stays for another year."
That is absolutely for the best. Such a good move.

The only downside to the owners is having to "pay more players" but honestly the cost is a pretty small one and the cap is still fixed. It also puts more emphasis on the practice squad as they have a better chance being called up for a game or two.

It's just such a good rule.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Love that, should have happened years ago.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
10 Aug 2021 19:09
the old IR rules are from yesteryear when they had 40 man squads, guys played both ways and manly men were men.
It doesn't make a lot of sense in todays' game, but the owners are sloooowww to change anything that costs more.

Right now - PUP is actually more restrictive than IR, so that may play into how they designate Bakh at cut-down time.
Same for others around the league
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BSA wrote:
10 Aug 2021 20:37
go pak go wrote:
the old IR rules are from yesteryear when they had 40 man squads, guys played both ways and manly men were men.
It doesn't make a lot of sense in todays' game, but the owners are sloooowww to change anything that costs more.

Right now - PUP is actually more restrictive than IR, so that may play into how they designate Bakh at cut-down time.
Very interesting thought.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
10 Aug 2021 20:37
go pak go wrote:

I mean it's working out great for the Packers. Sterny can't go anyway due to his penalty.

So keep Bakh on the 53 week 1 and then IR if you think you need to after that which could make a return that for week 5.

Or you just let him ride as a healthy scratch. Which I think is the most likely situation.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I had to bring this Mikey news, after all he was a coach here a long time, towards the end of the article it talks about the then and now of training camps in the nfl, camp cupcake, is a good description of how it is these days.

Mike McCarthy and the Dallas Cowboys have returned to Camp Cupcake | Opinion

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mike-mccarth ... 00440.html

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

new rules for 2021 season = lots of penalties early on

"While a lot of media attention is on the league's point of emphasis for 2021 on taunting, it's the new restrictions on cut-blocking that have LaFleur's attention. Players, on offense or defense, can no longer go low on an opponent if they're more than two yards outside the tackle box or more than five yards either way from the line of scrimmage.

How players on both sides engage with one another on screen passes and outside running plays will be monitored very closely, starting in the preseason. Offensive linemen running downfield can't try to create more space by diving at defenders' legs, and defensive backs trying to force an outside play back inside can't take out a blocker's legs, either.

"It kind of goes both ways," LaFleur said."

This is a HUGE change for the game and more than a few great plays are gonna be called back because of the ticky-tack "point of emphasis" crapola
IT. IS. TIME

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BSA wrote:
11 Aug 2021 16:24
new rules for 2021 season = lots of penalties early on

"While a lot of media attention is on the league's point of emphasis for 2021 on taunting, it's the new restrictions on cut-blocking that have LaFleur's attention. Players, on offense or defense, can no longer go low on an opponent if they're more than two yards outside the tackle box or more than five yards either way from the line of scrimmage.

How players on both sides engage with one another on screen passes and outside running plays will be monitored very closely, starting in the preseason. Offensive linemen running downfield can't try to create more space by diving at defenders' legs, and defensive backs trying to force an outside play back inside can't take out a blocker's legs, either.

"It kind of goes both ways," LaFleur said."

This is a HUGE change for the game and more than a few great plays are gonna be called back because of the ticky-tack "point of emphasis" crapola
This is garbage. I’m curious to see if teams really start to run a lot of stretch runs and tosses and getting their back outside and one one one against safeties and nickel CBs. If they can’t go low and take out backs legs the running backs this year are gonna go nuts.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

This has nothing to do with tackling.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

People in sports media were ripping on McCarthy for his locker room speech on Hard Knocks. I was cracking up because it is sort of bad but at the same time I think some people are going to handle themselves differently when they know there's a camera in the room. Kinda feel bad because I always did like Mac.

Anyway, here's a link if you haven't seen it already.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Captain_Ben wrote:
12 Aug 2021 11:38
People in sports media were ripping on McCarthy for his locker room speech on Hard Knocks. I was cracking up because it is sort of bad but at the same time I think some people are going to handle themselves differently when they know there's a camera in the room. Kinda feel bad because I always did like Mac.

This is Jeff Fisher's 7-9 speech all over again. Like, exactly. :messedup:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It's also a shame, though, because early in his run with us, MM was a good leader of men. I distinctly remember it. I think "nobody's underdog" really resonated. I think the team building activities resonated. Obviously, his QB school really helped. He developed Rodgers and he transformed Favre's late-career. And he got the team together, united.

He's just... old. He just doesn't connect anymore. What they said about the Austin Powers stuff and "mojo" really resonated. From 1999. Poor Mike. Both the game AND the connections to the players have passed him by.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Aug 2021 12:56
Captain_Ben wrote:
12 Aug 2021 11:38

This is Jeff Fisher's 7-9 speech all over again. Like, exactly. :messedup:
Haha so true, I didn't think of that. It's like this obligatory "raw raw" kind of speech that every Hard Knocks coach gives, whether he wants to or not.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Is Justin Fields stealing the starting job today?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Aug 2021 14:10
I sure hope so. I can't wait until he is old news by Week 4.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
14 Aug 2021 15:21
YoHoChecko wrote:
I mean he looked legit.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
14 Aug 2021 15:25
NCF wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
I mean he looked legit.
I didn't watch. I am just anticipating because, you know, Chicago.

Let me ask you this. If it were up to you and the offer was on the table would you trade Love, straight up, for Fields, right now?

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
14 Aug 2021 15:26
lupedafiasco wrote:
NCF wrote:

I mean he looked legit.

Let me ask you this. If it were up to you and the offer was on the table would you trade Love, straight up, for Fields, right now?
I would 100%. Fields won’t need 3 years to be ready. He looks the part.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
14 Aug 2021 15:50
I would 100%. Fields won’t need 3 years to be ready. He looks the part.
We'll see. Let's, at least, take one night to see how our guy looks.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
14 Aug 2021 15:26
lupedafiasco wrote:
NCF wrote:

I mean he looked legit.

Right now yea I would take Fields. We will see what happens after tonight. Fields decision making though today looked really good. Gotta see him against better pressure though still.