Packers Trading for Issac Yiadom

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Packers Trading for Issac Yiadom

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I have to think Josh Jackson is going to New York.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

https://www.bigblueview.com/2021/7/24/2 ... aac-yiadom
The New York Giants churned and churned and churned their cornerback depth chart during training camp a season ago. They finally acquired Isaac Yiadom from the Denver Broncos for a seventh-round draft choice.

Yiadom was serviceable for the Giants last season, but the signing of Adoree’ Jackson showed that the organization wanted better.

Let’s discuss Yiadom as we finish this year’s profiles of the 90 players who are about to report to training camp.
The basics

Height: 6-foot-1
Weight: 190
Position: Cornerback
Experience: 3
Contract: One-year, $1.07 million | Guaranteed: $100,000 | 2021 cap hit: $1.07 million
Career to date

Yiadom was a third-round pick by the Denver Broncos in 2018. He started just nine of the 29 games in which he played, and after two seasons had fallen out of the favor. The Giants, desperate to find anyone who could adequately play cornerback opposite James Bradberry, acquired him in exchange for a seventh-round pick.

Yiadom played in 16 games for the Giants, starting 10. He took over the job from Corey Ballentine, lost it to Ryan Lewis, then regained it. When Yiadom was playing, the Giants played a heavy amount of zone coverage. In 92 man coverage snaps, Yiadom had a 38.8 Pro Football Focus grade. That’s 104th out of 137 qualifying cornerbacks. In zone coverage, Yiadom’s 56.8 PFF grades was 105th. So, the grade was better in zone — but that did not push him up the rankings.

Yiadom ended up playing 633 defensive snaps (58 percent). He compiled a less-than-acceptable 120.1 passer rating against, with 46 tackles, five passes defensed and a forced fumble. Not terrible production considering the price for him was a seventh-round pick, but probably not what the Giants want to go forward with as a starting cornerback.
2021 outlook

Considering the number of players the Giants brought in at cornerback, including a high-priced free agent and two draft picks, Yiadom would seem to be a bubble player entering training camp.

He appears to understand that. Yiadom was on the final year of his rookie contract, but took a pay cut that lowered his cap hit from $2.183 million to $1.07 million this season. That is a more manageable number for a backup, and could improve Yiadom’s chance to stick around.

I had Yiadom missing out in my post-minicamp 53-man roster projection, but I might reconsider that. Backups with special teams ability and a good amount of playing experience can be important, and Yiadom has both.

The one thing Yiadom does not give the Giants is the ability to play a heavy amount of man coverage when he is on the field. We will see if that costs him a roster spot.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

It's for Josh Jackson. At least we didn't draft him in the 1st.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
17 Aug 2021 13:18
It's for Josh Jackson. At least we didn't draft him in the 1st.
Yep, the good, ol' change of scenery trade.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

good luck to Jackson,, at least we are getting something for him.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
17 Aug 2021 13:25
good luck to Jackson,, at least we are getting something for him.
Yep, no ill will toward the guy. Just didn't work out. This is the time of the year for this. Trade of 2 disappointing players who still have no guarantee of making their new teams. Hoping Yiadom maybe gives us a ST boost. But I don't expect anything else.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Saves us $363,104 in cap space.

Has played a lot of special teams over the last 3 years:
image.png
image.png (14.77 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Let's be real here guys.

Yiadom is likely not making the Packers either. Could be a practice squad guy.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
17 Aug 2021 13:49
Let's be real here guys.

I don't know how you could possibly conclude that at this point in time. I think he has a fair chance of sticking. I won't call it likely or unlikely until we actually get to see and hear some things.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Suprised his name doesn't look familiar.

I wish Josh all the best, seems like a good dude, but zero risk trade here, Joshy wasn't making the team.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Best chance for Isaac to stick around is be an ace on special teams.

Disappointing Josh Jackson didn't suit so many times last year because he couldn't play ST at all.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
17 Aug 2021 14:03
go pak go wrote:
Let's be real here guys.

I don't know how you could possibly conclude that at this point in time. I think he has a fair chance of sticking. I won't call it likely or unlikely until we actually get to see and hear some things.
Because he stinks. He stunk so bad in Denver after his 2nd season they trade him for 7th round pick. He stunk so bad in New York he cuts his already tiny salary in half and then gets traded for a player who also stinks who is making twice his salary.

So with all of that, plus the fact he is competing vs Ento for that 6th CB spot when he doesn't know the playbook, the dude is at a real disadvantage. His path to this roster is if he can be a good gunner for us.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
Let's be real here guys.

I don't think so at all.

Packers could have either pushed for a draft pick instead of a players. Or just waited 3 more weeks if someone was not offering a draft pick and see if someone eventually would.

Maybe he isn't likely to make the team, but I definitely think he has a solid shot.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Can't cover, but neither could Jackson – at least Yiadom has ST value. I'd call that an upgrade (far from assured a roster spot, though, especially with how Ento is playing).

And so Gute's second draft pick as GM goes down as a total bust, not even serviceable at the position for which he was drafted *or* special teams.

If I'm the Giants, I move him to Safety for good. He has not looked good at CB regardless if we were running man or zone, so it's not like a new coverage scheme will do the trick for him as a corner. It's probably the only real option to salvage his career.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Jackson never fit, and to be honest, I doubt any scheme change miraculously makes him good. Maybe the Giants have a long shot plan for him as a zone safety or something.

Same for Yiadom. Except for STs being his potential ticket.

But there is the tiny chance...

Which is why you make this trade.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Josh Jackson was such a play maker at Iowa. I wanted him in the draft bad. Gutey is not alone in being wrong about him, but I don’t get paid to make the decisions.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
17 Aug 2021 14:03
go pak go wrote:
Let's be real here guys.

Because Yiadman is Bum Bum Sauce. Looks at those grades and stats. That’s atrocious. Already on team 3. Has won and lost the starting role multiple times. This dudes just filling a spot.
Cancelled by the forum elites.