Round 7 (236) - Vernon Scott, S TCU

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Round 7 (236) - Vernon Scott, S TCU

Post by NCF »

One more to go.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

This article mentions he had a visit with Green Bay. He played special teams and communicated the coverages.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/co ... 80981.html

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Looks very physical, like that he is 6'2"

We rely so much on that Raven Greene/Ibraham Campbell type player, really like the idea of actually investing some resources there to get a better football player.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TCU safety Vernon Scott had been preparing for pro day. He wanted NFL executives and scouts to get a firsthand look at how he tested and his athleticism.

But pro days across the country have been canceled amid the coronavirus pandemic with the NFL prohibiting teams from traveling to different sites across the country.

That is devastating news to a number of aspiring pro prospects. But not Scott, who believes teams will have a favorable impression when they study his film closer.

“With pro days canceled, teams will go back and watch film,” Scott said. “They’re going to draft players off film. I feel as a player on film, I have pretty good film.”

Scott finished last season with 44 tackles, two tackles for loss, seven pass breakups and one interception. He returned his lone interception 98 yards for a pick-six touchdown in TCU’s 28-24 loss at Oklahoma.

More than anything, though, Scott feels he has shown versatility playing four years under coach Gary Patterson.

He played weak safety mostly at TCU, but also has experience playing cornerback and other safety spots. Additionally, Scott has played special teams on the coverage units.

“My film shows I’m very versatile,” Scott said. “I feel I can do a lot of things.”

At the end of the day, he feels his coverage skills stand out the most, describing them as “top-notch.”

“We played a lot of man coverage and I feel I’m one of the best cover safeties in college football,” Scott said. “Playing weak safety at TCU is one of the hardest and most challenging positions. You have to make a lot of calls and you have to be a good athlete. We go down in the box in certain coverages. It’s challenging, but also very rewarding because you can make a lot of plays.”

The pick-six at Oklahoma stands out. But Scott was the unsung hero on other plays, too, such as covering the outside receiver if TCU sent cornerback Jeff Gladney on a blitz.

Scott pointed to doing that a couple times in TCU’s 37-27 victory over Texas when he had to cover Longhorns receiver Collin Johnson.

“You have to be a good man player in Coach P’s defense,” Scott said. “And you learn a bunch of football with Coach P. The 4-2-5 defense is very complex and we have to communicate a lot. The safeties are the quarterbacks of the defense.”

Scott is currently 6-foot-2, 209 pounds and is getting interest from NFL teams. He had a top 30 visit with the Green Bay Packers scheduled before the pandemic canceled that trip.

For now, though, Scott is focused on getting back in football training mode after spending the last several weeks prepping for a pro day that was for naught.

“I haven’t played football since we lost to West Virginia on Nov. 29,” Scott said. “I’m just ready to get back on the grass and playing football again.

“I’d tell NFL teams I’m a player who’s going to do all the right things on the field and off the field. I’m willing to do whatever it takes to win and am very coachable.”
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

2019 | SENIOR
Started all 10 games he played ... placed fourth on TCU with 44 tackles ... ranked third on the team with seven pass breakups, including a career-high three in the 51-14 win over Kansas ... took part in four takeaways over the final three games of the season ... had a 98-yard interception return for a touchdown at Oklahoma, 1-yard shy of a school record ... also had a fumble recovery and a season-best seven tackles against the Sooners ... forced a fumble the week before on Texas Tech's final series to preserve a 33-31 TCU victory ... added five tackles and a pass breakup in the game ... recorded his first career sack as part of five tackles to go with a forced fumble in the season finale against West Virginia.
https://gofrogs.com/sports/football/ros ... scott/5771

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Dunno how the cutups will look, but the highlights look good.

Not a combine invite so no info on him athletically.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

Weak safety = Free safety

is that correct? :dunno:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Chilli wrote:
25 Apr 2020 17:53
Weak safety = Free safety

is that correct? :dunno:
Yep, synonymous.

Read More. Post Less.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 17:17
Holy cow! He can run pretty fast too...

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

This could be our slot CB.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

My favorite pick of the draft, lol.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
26 Apr 2020 12:26
My favorite pick of the draft, lol.
Yeah, honestly, he looks really great. Late bloomer, for sure. Probably could use some seasoning and time to continue to hone instincts and get used to NFL game speed, but has all the traits and made some great plays. This is an excellent use of a late round pick. I like late round picks as safe players with limited ceilings or boom/bust picks with very high ceilings. This is the latter (Runyan was the former). Excellent work.