If Amari Rodgers was a UDFA would he make the team?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

If Amari Rodgers was a UDFA would he make the team?

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

I know, draft pedigree means he gets time. But man, nothing I've seen in these preseason games has shown me that he deserves one of the five or six WR spots. Very disappointing. I was high on him coming out of the draft.

Some WR is going to get cut because Rodgers was a draft pick this year rather than a UDFA.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
22 Aug 2021 08:01
I know, draft pedigree means he gets time. But man, nothing I've seen in these preseason games has shown me that he deserves one of the five or six WR spots. Very disappointing. I was high on him coming out of the draft.

Some WR is going to get cut because Rodgers was a draft pick this year rather than a UDFA.
wow, he's as good as any rookie receiver we've had, name one thats been better? imo the only one that looked better as a rookie was Greg Jennings, I was hoping for more speed, but even that is deceiving since he probably is thinking more then simply reacting, gotta give the kid some time.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

It's so weird because he was having "such a good camp" early on.

The game does seem to be too big for him. Like bright lights syndrome. My guess is he will get very limited action this year. His punt returning is nowhere near I was hoping it would be. He also looks slow out there.

I thought this guy was gonna be a steal. I'm definitely pulling back on that now.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
22 Aug 2021 09:06
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

wow, he's as good as any rookie receiver we've had, name one thats been better? imo the only one that looked better as a rookie was Greg Jennings, I was hoping for more speed, but even that is deceiving since he probably is thinking more then simply reacting, gotta give the kid some time.
I mean any rookie wide receiver who has more than 15 yards in preseason has looked better.

So a lot of them.

Doesn't mean his career by any means. But certainly surprised to see how ineffective he has looked in live action.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

:rotf: Amari Rodgers was over drafted, we could have waited till the draft was over and picked him up for chump change, Guty really blew it with this pick, it's a good thing Guty listened to Rodgers and brought Cobb back, cause Amari should be cut so we can keep Mylik Taylor :rotf:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

He seems slippery with the ball in his hands in space which is good. His hands still seem pretty good. The only really alarming thing I see is most of the other WRs are getting open on routes far more than he is. He can’t seem to seperate down the field much at this point.

That could change though with better route running, the top defenders eyeing Davante, and safeties running with MVS.

He looks like somebody who catch a lot of tosses out of the backfield and get 5 yards or quick screens. He certainly looks like the type to be a playmaker and he usually makes the first guy miss.

But ya I admit he looks a little smaller and slower than I expected. I thought I remembered more twitch at Clemson.

I do think he is a gamer that Can help this team tho
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Aug 2021 09:10
Yoop wrote:
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

I mean any rookie wide receiver who has more than 15 yards in preseason has looked better.

So a lot of them.

Doesn't mean his career by any means. But certainly surprised to see how ineffective he has looked in live action.
for 1 thing all the others been around longer, and there is a big diff. between slot and boundry receivers, we are being very vanilla, Amari will be fine once we use more starters and play real games using more of the play book

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

It’s still entirely too early to tell for a rookie receiver whether he will be good or not. The team isn’t running any plays they’re going to be running the regular season designed to get him open. No reason to panic here.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
22 Aug 2021 09:38
It’s still entirely too early to tell for a rookie receiver whether he will be good or not. The team isn’t running any plays they’re going to be running the regular season designed to get him open. No reason to panic here.
This is the largest thing. I believe Rodgers will need "help" getting open to get into space to do things and I believe we will see some of that this season. At this point I expect around 200 - 300 yards for him.

However, I think we all were hoping he could get separation on his own and we haven't really seen that yet. He has had two good plays thus far this preseason. One in Week 1 where he turned essentially a WR for about 9 yards and then the one yesterday where he got the ball down the middle of the field.

I think his lack of confidence in the punt return game has been disappointing. It's not good when Reggie Begelton has his only two reps look better than any of Rodgers's reps in the return game.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
22 Aug 2021 09:21
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

So a lot of them.

for 1 thing all the others been around longer, and there is a big diff. between slot and boundry receivers, we are being very vanilla, Amari will be fine once we use more starters and play real games using more of the play book
Agree with the slot vs boundary.

Impossible for the first point considering we are comparing rookies to rookies by their 2nd preseason game.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Aug 2021 10:05
Yoop wrote:
22 Aug 2021 09:21
go pak go wrote:

So a lot of them.

Agree with the slot vs boundary.

Impossible for the first point considering we are comparing rookies to rookies by their 2nd preseason game.
Ghost touched on a key point, Amari Rodgers has a resume, Pedigree, opposing players are aware of that, so when it comes to ST and he's receiving they deal with him accordingly, go rewatch Beagletons return, the jets where sloppy and I counted 3 missed tackles that may not have happened with Amari, same thing when he's in the slot, he draws a CB and safety support, pretty tough road to hoe as a rookie, as I said, I was hoping he'd have a bit more straight line speed.

Cobb will get a lot of the snaps Amari would have, he has a lot more chemistry with Aaron, and a lot more zone experience.

I think you and others are being overly critical, funny since you put up and stood up for the 3 stooges for 3 years when they couldn't even lace up there spikes.

also just look at that wall of blockers for anyone to run behind on punt returns.

also why do people think Lafluer kept Drayton as the ST's cordinator, sure he had a voice in that decision but I bet Guty and Murphy had a opinion concerning that too, Good cords cost big money, I bet Ball was voicing his opinion too.

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

Lol what a nonsensical hypothetical

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
22 Aug 2021 10:39
Ghost touched on a key point, Amari Rodgers has a resume, Pedigree, opposing players are aware of that, so when it comes to ST and he's receiving they deal with him accordingly, go rewatch Beagletons return, the jets where sloppy and I counted 3 missed tackles that may not have happened with Amari, same thing when he's in the slot, he draws a CB and safety support, pretty tough road to hoe as a rookie, as I said, I was hoping he'd have a bit more straight line speed.

Cobb will get a lot of the snaps Amari would have, he has a lot more chemistry with Aaron, and a lot more zone experience.

I think you and others are being overly critical, funny since you put up and stood up for the 3 stooges for 3 years when they couldn't even lace up there spikes.

also just look at that wall of blockers for anyone to run behind on punt returns.
The difference is you're projecting and I am simply saying up to this point he has been disappointing in the action that us fans have been able to see. I even said as much that I understand it's early and by no means has anything to do with future performance. I just stated at this point, he has been underwhelming and likely won't contribute in that immediate role like some were hoping for a few months ago. I will say I feel better now that Cobb is on the team where a few weeks ago I thought Cobb would unnecessarily take reps away from Rodgers. I don't think that right now for the 2021 season.

The comment that didn't make sense is "no rookie receiver has played better since Jennings". That is completely not true. Janis, Jones, Nelson, Cobb, White, Montgomery, Malik Taylor, Derius Shepherd, MVS, EQSB all showed stuff more than Rodgers has shown up to this point because Rodgers hasn't shown anything up to this point. I didn't include Trevor Davis because I believe he was hurt all 2016 preseason.

Rodgers is like the 2019 version of Rashan Gary. Hasn't shown anything during preseason. Lots of reason to still be excited. In a position where he won't need to be asked to contribute a lot his rookie year and can learn behind some greats.
Yoop wrote:
also why do people think Lafluer kept Drayton as the ST's cordinator, sure he had a voice in that decision but I bet Guty and Murphy had a opinion concerning that too, Good cords cost big money, I bet Ball was voicing his opinion too.
Because that is the coach's decision.

However we did see the Packers force an "under-offer" to Adam Gase in January 2019.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Aug 2021 11:09
Yoop wrote:

The difference is you're projecting and I am simply saying up to this point he has been disappointing in the action that us fans have been able to see. I even said as much that I understand it's early and by no means has anything to do with future performance. I just stated at this point, he has been underwhelming and likely won't contribute in that immediate role like some were hoping for a few months ago. I will say I feel better now that Cobb is on the team where a few weeks ago I thought Cobb would unnecessarily take reps away from Rodgers. I don't think that right now for the 2021 season.

The comment that didn't make sense is "no rookie receiver has played better since Jennings". That is completely not true. Janis, Jones, Nelson, Cobb, White, Montgomery, Malik Taylor, Derius Shepherd, MVS, EQSB all showed stuff more than Rodgers has shown up to this point because Rodgers hasn't shown anything up to this point. I didn't include Trevor Davis because I believe he was hurt all 2016 preseason.

Rodgers is like the 2019 version of Rashan Gary. Hasn't shown anything during preseason. Lots of reason to still be excited. In a position where he won't need to be asked to contribute a lot his rookie year and can learn behind some greats.
Yoop wrote:
Because that is the coach's decision.
so why did those other rookie receivers do better ( marginally better actually) could it be because the offense had some starters playing, and also had the #2 QB

and since Lafluer has been hired Guty and Murphy have been pulling the strings, we make decisions now by committee. and we also make decisions based on how it affects the pocket book, we passed on a excellent ST cord 3 years ago because he wanted more then we would spend.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Amari Rodgers is a manufactured touch guy. He's someone that does good things with the ball in his hands and can play a variety of roles. You see that in camp (good reviews). You don't see that in preseason (disappointment).

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Amari Rodgers looks quite good in space when he gets the ball. He has been somewhat disappointing on punt returns, but the blocking has not been good for the most part. As with the majority of rookie WRs he will need some time. Given how much inconsistency the team has put up with in MVS and EQSB, this is a WAY too early judgement.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
22 Aug 2021 11:25

so why did those other rookie receivers do better ( marginally better actually) could it be because the offense had some starters playing, and also had the #2 QB
I doubt it. Those other rookies, outside of your high end draft picks didn't play with the starters in presesaon. They were getting reps with the Flynns, Hundleys, Callahans of the world.

Being a lightening storm in preseason usually has very poor correlation to regular season (insert Jeff Janis) so overall I am not worried.

But I think the largest explanation of why the other receivers did better is simply because it was super easy to. Rodgers hasn't done anything. So it's not hard to do better than that.

Unless you're J'Mon Moore. He definitely did not do as well.

All I was really hoping to see from Rodgers is good agility in the open field. Make a guy miss. Plow a guy down. Make a contested catch. Be automatic in punt returns. Can't really say I have seen any of that outside of one play vs the Texans where he had some burst on the outside to pick up yards I thought weren't there.

But like yesterday on his WR pitch toss on 3rd down. He was in open field and you just want to see something in those instances to get a first down. Instead he didn't plow anyone or make any good move to get the extra 2 - 3 yards to move the chains.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Aug 2021 11:32
All I was really hoping to see from Rodgers is good agility in the open field. Make a guy miss. Plow a guy down. Make a contested catch. Be automatic in punt returns. Can't really say I have seen any of that outside of one play vs the Texans where he had some burst on the outside to pick up yards I thought weren't there.

But like yesterday on his WR pitch toss on 3rd down. He was in open field and you just want to see something in those instances to get a first down. Instead he didn't plow anyone or make any good move to get the extra 2 - 3 yards to move the chains.
he usually makes the first guy miss, he can't turn the corner when the defenders beats him to it, and they beat him to it because the stretch run is sooooo obvious, there was no open field, I don't know why you'd say that, he also has been doubled on every pass to him I've seen, he's never been single covered like the others.

and the only reason he may end up with less then 500 yrds is do to Randal Cobbs return, he looks prepared to me and once Adams and other starting receivers return defenses wont be able to double him and you'll see why people that actually know what there talking about say Amari Rodgers might be a real steal as a 3rd round pick.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Damn, this is crazy talk and jumping the gun in my eyes. Amari is a talented WR. I remember when tons of fans were saying to cut Davante after year 2. What is wrong with people? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Packfntk wrote:
22 Aug 2021 11:54
Damn, this is crazy talk and jumping the gun in my eyes. Amari is a talented WR. I remember when tons of fans were saying to cut Davante after year 2. What is wrong with people? :lol: :lol: :lol:
:rotf: