Jordan Love Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Jordan Love Discussion

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

The good -

(1) He clearly has the arm talent. He has a franchise arm and can throw with anticipation. He can throw from different arm angles and different platforms. It was the anticipation part that really needed to be shown during the preseason.

(2) He appeared to have command of the huddle and understood what he was seeing on the field.

(3) His footwork and pocket presence is, for the most part, good to great. I really haven't seen him backpedal at all. He will get a better feel for pressure the more experience he gets with an NFL pass rush. However, this relates to #1 below.

(4) He's quick and mobile enough to keep defenses honest and run for first downs, if needed, but he'll always be looking to pass first. He actually reminds me of AR in this respect.

The bad -

(1) Well, we saw it yesterday. That INT was some serious Favresque &%$@, but I don't even think Brett does that on 1st down. At that point in the game you eat it and take the sack or throw it out of bounds. We're not playing 500 in the school yard. Awful, awful decision.

(2) Red Zone efficiency. Some of this is on the OL, some on Love, and some on the coaches/calls. The OFF looked like doo doo inside the 10. There was another near pick that I didn't think was a great decision. And of course the Bills were playing their 13-3 starting unit while we had all backups, outside of C and one other OL, both of whom are very young.

(3) Slide. He has to slide after running. He's not going to make NFL safeties or LBs miss like he did in high school and college.

Ultimately the trajectory of Love's career will come down to his work ethic and his decision making. So hopefully he's internally motivated, smart, coachable, and learns from his mistakes. He can be a franchise guy. I'm not afraid of AR leaving for 2022-2023. And we should get a whole lot of picks and good young players in that deal.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
29 Aug 2021 09:33
The good -

(1) He clearly has the arm talent. He has a franchise arm and can throw with anticipation. He can throw from different arm angles and different platforms. It was the anticipation part that really needed to be shown during the preseason.

(2) He appeared to have command of the huddle and understood what he was seeing on the field.

(3) His footwork and pocket presence is, for the most part, good to great. I really haven't seen him backpedal at all. He will get a better feel for pressure the more experience he gets with an NFL pass rush. However, this relates to #1 below.

(4) He's quick and mobile enough to keep defenses honest and run for first downs, if needed, but he'll always be looking to pass first. He actually reminds me of AR in this respect.

The bad -

(1) Well, we saw it yesterday. That INT was some serious Favresque &%$@, but I don't even think Brett does that on 1st down. At that point in the game you eat it and take the sack or throw it out of bounds. We're not playing 500 in the school yard. Awful, awful decision.

(2) Red Zone efficiency. Some of this is on the OL, some on Love, and some on the coaches/calls. The OFF looked like doo doo inside the 10. There was another near pick that I didn't think was a great decision. And of course the Bills were playing their 13-3 starting unit while we had all backups, outside of C and one other OL, both of whom are very young.

(3) Slide. He has to slide after running. He's not going to make NFL safeties or LBs miss like he did in high school and college.

Ultimately the trajectory of Love's career will come down to his work ethic and his decision making. So hopefully he's internally motivated, smart, coachable, and learns from his mistakes. He can be a franchise guy. I'm not afraid of AR leaving for 2022-2023. And we should get a whole lot of picks and good young players in that deal.
After 3 seasons with the Packers .......... with Holmgren and Mariucci coaching the heck out of him ............ Brett Favre won the league MVP in season #4. If Brett Favre could do that ............ then Jordan Love could do that. I think it will come down to coaching and supporting cast. If Love fails then I'll put the blame on the coaching staff (for coaching Love) and Gutey (for the supporting cast), not Jordan Love. I'm not afraid of Aaron Rodgers leaving for 2022-2023 either.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Favre's last throw was a 2nd down INT, just FYI.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

For some reason I feel I am most disappointed in Love missing the short pass to Sternberger on the left side of the field that would have gone for a first down. I believe he redeemed himself by finding Dafney on the next play.

I attribute the redzone issues more to the play calling and offensive line than I do Love. He really didn't get much for opportunity once inside the 20 yardline.

Overall I think there is a LOT to be excited about. He just needs to continue to develop, but I feel he could win games this year with starting level receivers and Oline protecting him.

He has surpassed my expectations honestly. He was more consistent than I thought he would be and just isn't getting the adoration because the finishes weren't there and he only got 4 quarters of actions. But I think in those 4 quarters he got his team inside the 30/25 yardline 4 times which I would say is really good.

I am very bullish for the 2023 - 2025 Green Bay Packers. The future has hope for sure.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

mnpackerbacker
Reactions:

Post by mnpackerbacker »

addendum to your good and bad. The good you mentioned is natural talent. The bad you mentioned is correctable.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I gotta say, probably more impressed with him than I was anticipating this preseason.

Even against the 1’s while playing with scrubs and having no continuity, game mostly seemed to move really slow for him. Good pocket presence, moving around beautifully a few times, while eyes remain downfield.

Able to release with great arm strength from awkward angles and feet placement.

Lot of confidence, not afraid to sling it. Big arm.

Give the kid a real OL, WRs and a Matt LaFleur game plan, I saw absolutely nothing that doesn’t get me incredibly excited.

I said from the get go I wanna see him chucking it around, fine with a few ints and highlight reel plays vs a dink and dunk or taking too many sacks look which doesn’t show you anything.

Just so much to work with. Arm talent already elite, confidence to chuck it, mentally already looks slowed down. He could be special.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
29 Aug 2021 09:57
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
The good -

The bad -

After 3 seasons with the Packers .......... with Holmgren and Mariucci coaching the heck out of him ............ Brett Favre won the league MVP in season #4. If Brett Favre could do that ............ then Jordan Love could do that. I think it will come down to coaching and supporting cast. If Love fails then I'll put the blame on the coaching staff (for coaching Love) and Gutey (for the supporting cast), not Jordan Love. I'm not afraid of Aaron Rodgers leaving for 2022-2023 either.
If Love fails it’s all on Gutey. There is nothing wrong with the coaches. They restored Rodgers to MVP status with a pretty poor supporting cast of receivers. They didn’t miss a beat even when they lost Adams.

If Love fails it’s because he just is t a good player.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
29 Aug 2021 10:58
I attribute the redzone issues more to the play calling and offensive line than I do Love. He really didn't get much for opportunity once inside the 20 yardline.
The 1 trip into the red zone against the Texans was a TD. As far as against the Bills, I would also pin the struggles on 2nd/3rd/4th teamers going against largely the Bills first team defense.
--------------------------------------------------------
The INT was definitely a really poor decision. That's what tended to happen his senior year at Utah State. They were playing vastly superior defenses and he would just chuck it up. That was the first time we really saw that though and he will learn better.

Rodgers sucked at sliding his first few years as a starter. Love will get it drilled into him that he needs to slide.

The wow play for me was the 4th down where he saw Rodgers open first down, but waited a second for Dafney to clear deep and hit him for a big gain. That was telling to me. He was seeing the whole field.

Also when he stepped up in the pocket and took off for a big gain down the right sideline showed some good pocket presence to me. Eyes were downfield until he crossed the line of scrimmage.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

The wow play for me was the 4th down where he saw Rodgers open first down, but waited a second for Dafney to clear deep and hit him for a big gain. That was telling to me. He was seeing the whole field.
+1

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Interesting reading from you guys. I am actually probably more down on him than I anticipated being. I fully expected all the good we have seen. With the decision-making being an issue coming out of school and plenty of reports of questionable decisions from camp, I expected better from him on the field. Two absolute, bone-headed throws that he absolutely cannot make. The interception was bad, but I can live with that if it's not 1st and 10. The other throw that was tipped up in the middle in the end zone was the unforgiveable one, for me. Just super disappointed that ball came out of his hand. Plenty of good, don't get me wrong, but being as high on him as I am, I fully expected it. I guess next time out that's the key. To build on all the positives in his game and minimize the poor decisions and live for another down/take 3/etc.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
29 Aug 2021 09:57
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
The good -

The bad -

If Jordan love turns out to suck, why wouldn’t we just blame love? He’s got a good roster, a good coach, and a solid org. If he sucks, I blame him for not taking advantage of his situation.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Benkhert played the 2s where as love played lots of 1s, but Benkhert had a better first half in PS game 2 than Love had yesterday. Love showed some “wow” plays, the mistakes were extremely wreckless. You want the backup to be safe and not turn the ball over. Love commited sins of that nature yesterday. You can certainly see the potential tho. He looked really good in quarter one

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
29 Aug 2021 12:21
If Jordan love turns out to suck, why wouldn’t we just blame love? He’s got a good roster, a good coach, and a solid org. If he sucks, I blame him for not taking advantage of his situation.
I'll answer for lupe on this one. Gutey doesn't get to get this one wrong. You can blame Love if you want, but Gutey and Love are attached at the hip and to quote Mike Holmgren, they will end up on the top of mountain or in the gutter, but it will be together.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
29 Aug 2021 12:17
+1
agree, thats the type play we've all hoped to see, Love looks cool, calm, and collected even under pressure, except for the deep heave, and that jump pass over center, I can't remember who to, but he didn't see the safety lurking and could have been a pick.

someone said his pass was high to Sternberger, sure maybe a little, but it was a easily caught pass to anyone but Sternberger who didn't even jump to make the catch, lis weeks back I'll be shocked if he makes the team, some unmentionable things will have to happen in the first couple weeks I think for us to keep him over players that actually bust there butt to make the 53.

while Love didn't have a off season and PS games to tune up last year, it's obvious working with the scout team all season has payed dividends, I think he shows the prep work and coaching of a 2nd year QB.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
Interesting reading from you guys. I am actually probably more down on him than I anticipated being. I fully expected all the good we have seen. With the decision-making being an issue coming out of school and plenty of reports of questionable decisions from camp, I expected better from him on the field. Two absolute, bone-headed throws that he absolutely cannot make. The interception was bad, but I can live with that if it's not 1st and 10. The other throw that was tipped up in the middle in the end zone was the unforgiveable one, for me. Just super disappointed that ball came out of his hand. Plenty of good, don't get me wrong, but being as high on him as I am, I fully expected it. I guess next time out that's the key. To build on all the positives in his game and minimize the poor decisions and live for another down/take 3/etc.
Is this your best Bobby McGinn impersonation? or......

was that tipped pass in the EZ ? I remember another around the 30 yrd line or so where he let one go a little quick, I think he felt the pass pressure, I'd like to go and re watch, but again I failed to record the game :thwap:

as someone said, Loves short comings are correctable, as with the EZ heave he needs to learn to deal with pressure better, he had a check down player he could have thrown to, or just heave it to a open space, he did it one other time that I remember, passed up a short high % throw to fling it into double coverage for a bigger gain, it went incomplete, I'am sure the film and the coaches will correct these things.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
29 Aug 2021 12:25
Drj820 wrote:
I'll answer for lupe on this one. Gutey doesn't get to get this one wrong. You can blame Love if you want, but Gutey and Love are attached at the hip and to quote Mike Holmgren, they will end up on the top of mountain or in the gutter, but it will be together.
Oh ya, no argument from me there. If love doesn’t turn out to be worth the drama, It should be a decision that costs Gute his job. Not sure it will, but it should.

I will also add that so far, nothing Love has shown makes me think he has been worth pushing Rodgers out the door for or the drama. That could change, but it not yet changed.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
29 Aug 2021 12:25
Drj820 wrote:
100%.

If Love fails you move on from Love but once it is deemed he is a failure at the subsequent owners meeting you behead Gutey and sit it on a spike on top of the atrium as a message to all future GMs to not be an idiot. Only fair.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Class Arm and good athlete.

Not sure on decision making. Preseason generally a little more vanilla aswell.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

bud fox wrote:
29 Aug 2021 23:34
Class Arm and good athlete.

Not sure on decision making. Preseason generally a little more vanilla aswell.
Yup.

But preseason, especially as LaFleur approaches it, is different than for some teams. No starters, no sweeps, no misdirection, no RBs splitting wide, no stacked receivers. Week 1 O will be completely different.

I don't feel like I got a solid read whether Love can excel or not. :idn: