Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
23 Aug 2021 09:00
Z has been incredibly fragile during his time here. His first year he was in and out throughout the game getting beat up. Apparently last season his ankle was an issue all season. Now his back has been a problem all camp
What in-the-name-of-Marcus-Welby-M.D. are you even talking about?? Fragile? In and out of the lineup?

Za'Darius Smith has started and played extensively in every game since being acquired by the Packers. Not only started, Smith has also played well over 80% of the defensive snaps each year not to mention some ST snaps, as well.

2019 Player Snap Counts
2020 Player Snap Counts

Has Smith slowed down play with "injuries" from time-to-time? Absolutely. It curiously happens more when the opposing offense seems to have some momentum building or there is a potential too-many-players penalty about to be called on the defense.

Fragile? Not available? :thwap: Smith has been the poster child for being out there when the whistle blows!

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

APB wrote:
23 Aug 2021 11:30
Has Smith slowed down play with "injuries" from time-to-time? Absolutely. It curiously happens more when the opposing offense seems to have some momentum building or there is a potential too-many-players penalty about to be called on the defense.
Haha, so true.

I can't say I've ever seen a player get hurt so much for a play off or two type injuries consistently in tactically advantageous situations for a short timeout.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
23 Aug 2021 11:30
lupedafiasco wrote:
23 Aug 2021 09:00
Z has been incredibly fragile during his time here. His first year he was in and out throughout the game getting beat up. Apparently last season his ankle was an issue all season. Now his back has been a problem all camp
What in-the-name-of-Marcus-Welby-M.D. are you even talking about?? Fragile? In and out of the lineup?

Za'Darius Smith has started and played extensively in every game since being acquired by the Packers. Not only started, Smith has also played well over 80% of the defensive snaps each year not to mention some ST snaps, as well.

2019 Player Snap Counts
2020 Player Snap Counts

Fragile? Not available? :thwap: Smith has been the poster child for being out there when the whistle blows!
Relax. I just mean every year now he has had one lingering injury that has lasted from camp until the end of the season and in this case until present.

I said incredibly as in unbelievably because of his effectiveness while playing through injuries that seemingly last all season.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pats trade former 1st round RB Sony Michel to the Rams for a 4th round comp pick.

Michel will probably be starting for the Rams, but still feels rather high of a cost for a RB on the last year of his contract... :idn:

Interesting and imaginative way to make the trade work pick-wise. Never seen this before:

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

I think the Rams are down to a 3rd round pick next year. That is it.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Interesting trade.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Makes no sense to me to trade a competent backup qb on a rookie contract.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

BF004 wrote:
28 Aug 2021 13:02
Yeah, it almost sounds like a move a losing organization like the Jaguars would make.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
28 Aug 2021 13:04
BF004 wrote:
Yeah, it almost sounds like a move a losing organization like the Jaguars would make.
I get the sense Meyer just didn’t want any fan or media driven QB controversy should Lawrence struggle. Can’t say I agree with trading a quality backup on the cheap, tho.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
Might as well get compensation for him. He is no longer in your plans as an organization. If your starter is lost you tank. No point in having a good backup unless youre developing him. Old school thinking.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Lot for an old man.

Savage not gunna be a cheap resign I have a feeling.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Aug 2021 15:01
BF004 wrote:
Might as well get compensation for him. He is no longer in your plans as an organization. If your starter is lost you tank. No point in having a good backup unless youre developing him. Old school thinking.
A 6th round pick? Could get that in a comp pick though.

Feel like I shouldn’t have to say this, but I feel like you are making me. It is possible for QBs to miss just the rest of a game or just a few weeks and not the whole season requiring tanking. If the Jags are competitive in their week division, with 7 teams making the playoffs, you don’t really wanna tank the season if Lawrence goes down for a few weeks and you are like 6-5 at the time.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
29 Aug 2021 20:33
lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Aug 2021 15:01
BF004 wrote:
A 6th round pick? Could get that in a comp pick though.

Feel like I shouldn’t have to say this, but I feel like you are making me. It is possible for QBs to miss just the rest of a game or just a few weeks and not the whole season requiring tanking. If the Jags are competitive in their week division, with 7 teams making the playoffs, you don’t really wanna tank the season if Lawrence goes down for a few weeks and you are like 6-5 at the time.
If youre starting QB goes down the chances of winning the game drop dramatically. Minshew had 2 years left on is deal where he wasnt going to play. He wasnt going to be worth anything 2 off seasons from now. Depending on the conditions its very likely Minsew nets the Jags better than a 6th because Hurts is ass.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
29 Aug 2021 20:30

Lot for an old man.

Or Amos.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
30 Aug 2021 07:35
BF004 wrote:

Lot for an old man.

Or Amos.
Amos will want a ton, same with Savage, I think both will be tough resigns, I'am looking at Black taking over for Amos, and hopefully Vern Scott for Savage. Black is a tackling machine, and Vern has a lot of range to roam center field.

I's gonna be pretty hared to keep all our talented players.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I would bite the bullet and pay Savage.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
30 Aug 2021 08:48
paco wrote:
30 Aug 2021 07:35
BF004 wrote:

Lot for an old man.

Or Amos.
Amos will want a ton, same with Savage, I think both will be tough resigns, I'am looking at Black taking over for Amos, and hopefully Vern Scott for Savage. Black is a tackling machine, and Vern has a lot of range to roam center field.

I's gonna be pretty hared to keep all our talented players.
Savage still has 2 years and an option. Amos though we likely move on from. He will be 30 by the time his next deal starts.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Safeties are cheap. Savage will be a great player to keep. I mean, Harrison Smith and Jamal Adams are making less than some second-tier RTs, less than all the top tier DTs. There are ILBs making more. Having young talent to re-sign at safety and TE is pretty great bang for the buck, honestly.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Speaking of safeties, Chris Banjo was cut yesterday by AZ.

I remember him as a limited but "try-hard" type player.

He turns 30 this season, for what it's worth. Would you rather have what he brings on defense AND as a ST standout or one of those "developing" safeties at the tail end of the roster?

Yeah, prolly me neither...

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Cam Newton was cut. Guess that means Mac Jones won the job.
RIP JustJeff