Matt LaFleur's Offense

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I actually think Jamaal Williams is going to have a challenge making this roster. I know we said this possibly early during TC as well, but man will he have some tough competition.

Aaron Jones
AJ Dillon
Jamaal Williams
Swervin' Ervin
Patrick Taylor (who is a very, very good UDFA signing. Similar to Dillon in terms of size and speed)
Dexter Williams

I also think we will keep 4 RBs at minimum this year and 6 WRs maximum this year.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2020 20:40
I actually think Jamaal Williams is going to have a challenge making this roster. I know we said this possibly early during TC as well, but man will he have some tough competition.

Aaron Jones
AJ Dillon
Jamaal Williams
Swervin' Ervin
Patrick Taylor (who is a very, very good UDFA signing. Similar to Dillon in terms of size and speed)
Dexter Williams

I also think we will keep 4 RBs at minimum this year and 6 WRs maximum this year.
I agree with your overall sentiment and I saw the clips and know what KIND of player Patrick Taylor is, but he is literally 30 pounds lighter than Dillon and half a tenth slower, so don't stretch the comparison like that.

I'm a little concerned about Ervin's roster spot because his return ability and speed and ability to be a gadget guy is something we didn't replace in this draft that I was hoping to.

But yes, the RB competition is going to be very tough.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

who are the blocking backs, is Dillon a 3rd down back? I like the thought of more play action, but the RB has to be able to block.

I don't know what to make of our WR's, they didn't impress last year, we quickly scape goat Rodgers for the problems, but he's the least of em, outside of Adams the rest are inconsistent, now we hear stuff like receivers take 3 years to get it, and people use Adams injured 2nd season to support that, so it's not exactly true, and I have my doubts that any of them will be any better then Lazard was last year, or #3, we still, until I see some prof don't have a #2 receiver, just unfathomable for a team with a HOF QB, what a waste.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2020 10:35
NCF wrote:
25 Apr 2020 10:12
This Draft is a clear indication that this offense is moving philosophically away from everything we are used to and much more towards what so many of you seem to envy in SF
This is the thing that stands out to me the most.

The fanbase collectively has some 49ers envy. And yet, the 49ers split their carries among 3 RBs. They have a TE who loves to block AND a FB/H-back who plays a third of their snaps and is widely considered a valuable role player. They have good, but not great, WRs.

We are moving in that direction. We've known for a long time that MLF is a bit more Kyle Shanahan than Sean McVay... but we also have adopted the Cooper Kupp-style big slot of the Rams.

I have two concerns:
  • The degrading athleticism of the OLine, losing Bulaga and adding Wagner; Billy Turner is mediocre. If we're going to run a successful run-first ZBS-based offense, we need to stay on top of the evolving OL prospects and maintain that as a strength.
  • Team speed. The 49ers have speed in Marquise Goodwin and Richie James. Their TE who loves to block runs a 4.5, not a 4.7. Mostert burns. Their "slower" guys are fast guys. Deebo and Emmanuel Sanders a but under 4.5 guys. Their FB runs a 4.7. The Rams have made sure to have at least one blazer along with their "not slow" guys. I think this scheme benefits a ton from having versatility matchups... but also from having just some speed mismatches mixed in to relax some coverage elsewhere and keep defenses from loading the box and playing purely to stop power.
On team speed we have MVS (4.37) and ESB (4.48). If we had drafted these two in the mid rounds this year we'd be pretty pleased. Packers obviously feel that for 2020 these two entering their 2nd and 3rd full seasons is better than developing a rookie. I don't disagree with them. And these two are WR4 and WR5.

Still wonder if we sign a free agent like Taylor Gabriel. He's 29 now but ran a 4.40 and is a guy I could see having a role somewhere.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

NCF wrote:
25 Apr 2020 10:12
So, through 3 rounds we have a general direction that our offense is going. It is no longer the Mike McCarthy match-up offense. This Draft is a clear indication that this offense is moving philosophically away from everything we are used to and much more towards what so many of you seem to envy in SF.

I thought it would be good to collect some thoughts about what we know about Matt LaFleur in his time prior to GB, some of the things he showed last year, and what similar offenses like SF and LA do in order to better understand our personnel and some of the decisions being made over the past few days.
Great thread idea. I had the same thought during the draft.

This is a superb breakdown of the Shanahan offence and why it's so effective. From the same guy that did the fascinating Jordan Love video I posed in the other thread.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I'd take the Andy Ried offense every day of the week, this vid highlight how poorly Pettine did to prevent the run, our DL crashed the gaps, and that aggressive penetration took them right out of the play, didn't even try to adjust, 60 minutes of doing the same thing over and and somehow expecting a different result, they must agree and Pettine will have a different plan, better cause along with not getting a receiver we didn't get a DL either.

KC played it smarter, they 2 gaped there DL, filled the open gaps with lbers and SF struggled, and once Andy's offense (mahomes) jelled SF's run game could not keep up.

mean while over in cowboy land McCarthy is laughing his ass off, I bet he begged for a WR for the last 5 years here, he goes there and they get him one of the best in the class his first season, and they don't even have a HOF QB.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2020 20:48
go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2020 20:40

Aaron Jones
AJ Dillon
Jamaal Williams
Swervin' Ervin
Dexter Williams

I agree with your overall sentiment and I saw the clips and know what KIND of player Patrick Taylor is, but he is literally 30 pounds lighter than Dillon and half a tenth slower, so don't stretch the comparison like that.
Holy sh*t you are right. I didn't look up the size. I just looked at the times. I figured Taylor was close in size to Dillon just based on how they run on the field.

My gawd Dillon is a specimen.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I understand the fascination with the Niners team and what they are doing, and I would love to be built like them too. I just think we are still miles apart from them, and not sure we are doing half the things they did well to get where they are.

For starters, they haven’t been afraid to make deals that we don’t seem willing to make. They take a risk and go get manny sanders, even though they run all the time. They have a good OL, and we still read they come away with Trent Williams, they run all the time and still draft deebo samuel near the top of the second round. This draft, they trade up for a WR I wanted bad...Aiyuk. Finally they bring in guys like Sherman and get them on good deals and Sherman talks a lot, but helps them win.

They also had a run of high draft picks that we will never have, and have loaded their team with DLmen. Not just pass rushers, but interior DLmen too.

Just saying I keep hearing “well we wanted to be like the Niners” my response is: yes I would love to have an elite defense, find value in the UDFA market, bring in players on cheap deals (Sherman), trade for guys like Trent Williams and take flyers on guys like sanders, and draft aiyuk and deebo to have WR threats and team speed...

But we are not doing half of that stuff. So far we’ve drafted a RB high, which they didn’t do. And we have found a clone of a player they like and use.

There is no comparison between our team speed and the Niners, and we didn’t do anything to bridge that gap this offseason.

Not saying the philosophy change won’t help us, but it isn’t even comparable to the job Lynch and the Niners are doing.

I honestly think if we were trying to build a Niners clone we just would have drafted marlon Davidson and all OL and DL and maybe one more TE this draft. Not RB in the second, Qb in the first.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Apr 2020 09:37
I understand the fascination with the Niners team and what they are doing, and I would love to be built like them too. I just think we are still miles apart from them, and not sure we are doing half the things they did well to get where they are.
It's not that we want to be the 9ers. It's that Matt LeFluer is a sister coach to Kyle Shannahan and thus we can expect the Packers to start looking like the 9ers on offense.

The 49ers and Kyle Shannahan program has two years on Matt LeFluer and his program.

I don't think it's necessarily we wanted to be the 49ers when we hired MLF. Nobody here gave the 9ers a 2nd though in 2018. It's rather that is what the Packers appear to be shifting towards and the 49ers are showing that the model works.
Yoop wrote:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 19:45
Remember last year when there was always this awkward push and pull between what was Lafleurs offense, and what was Rodgers? And was a playcall Lafleurs or did Rodgers change the call at the line into what he wanted?

One takeaway from this draft is that struggle isn’t going to exist as much anymore. This is lafleurs offense, Rodgers plays qb in the offense, and if he wants to argue on the sideline, change play calls, and not accept a game plan...someone lafleur likes is on the roster ready to step in.
I don't know if there was this push and pull between AR and MLF last year. I recall Rodgers saying he had more fun playing football last year than he has in a while.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The reason I'm comparing to the 49ers is not because I want to emulate them, honestly. It's because the same people who hate this draft add the people who have been insisting that the 49ers are way ahead of us and have used them as the barometer for success, or for discrediting the merit of our 13-3 record.

It feels very inconsistent to me to see those people complain that we are not the 49ers and then complain when we move in that direction.

I agree they have note team speed and a better interior defensive front and all. But, man, complaining when we aren't the 49ers and then complaining when we are is really tough for me ri swallow.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I've never wanted to be SF, I think small ball is boring, what KC is doing is exactly what I want to do, to think you can keep a defense together to be more then very good more then one or two years is a pipe dream, my goal has always been to just be good enough to hold opponents to about 20 points and score 30 ourselves on offense, I've never bought in completely to this "defense wins championships" mantra , how many sub 20 point SB's have you guys watched?, on defense 1 ( one)weak position translates to a weak defense, we all aught to know that very well, the goal is to be pretty good at both sides of the ball and hope you have enough impact players on offense so one or another can win you the game, ya, one player does make a difference, and one player usually wins the big games, I don't know where that idiotic idea came from that refutes that, we see it happen all season and certainly in the playoffs, swure when it comes to passing it takes both the QB and receiver to accomplish that goal, and blockers etc, but only ONE guy crosses the goal line with the ball, KC and SF know this lesson well, both have offensive impact players, yet went and got two of the most impactful players in this draft class, Guty succeeded in avoiding every WR in the class, bravo.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
26 Apr 2020 12:18
I've never wanted to be SF, I think small ball is boring, what KC is doing is exactly what I want to do, to think you can keep a defense together to be more then very good more then one or two years is a pipe dream, my goal has always been to just be good enough to hold opponents to about 20 points and score 30 ourselves on offense, I've never bought in completely to this "defense wins championships" mantra , how many sub 20 point SB's have you guys watched?, on defense 1 ( one)weak position translates to a weak defense, we all aught to know that very well, the goal is to be pretty good at both sides of the ball and hope you have enough impact players on offense so one or another can win you the game, ya, one player does make a difference, and one player usually wins the big games, I don't know where that idiotic idea came from that refutes that, we see it happen all season and certainly in the playoffs, swure when it comes to passing it takes both the QB and receiver to accomplish that goal, and blockers etc, but only ONE guy crosses the goal line with the ball, KC and SF know this lesson well, both have offensive impact players, yet went and got two of the most impactful players in this draft class, Guty succeeded in avoiding every WR in the class, bravo.
I like a nice blend of KC, the Rams, and the 49ers.

I want an electric playmaker that strikes fear into opponents on our offense--which is why I was so high on Ruggs this year, and why Reagor was my next choice. I want a versatile WR/RB or two that can line up all over (that can be the electric playmaker or not). I love what the Raiders added this year with Ruggs and Bowden. Ruggs is a fulltime receiver that scares people. Bowden is a dynamic runner/receiver that can give you formation flexiblity in the same personnel package. I love what the Eagles did in this draft, going ALL speed (Reagor, Hightower, Quez Watkins, and trading for Goodwin--they also went speed on D and at LB). They're not going to hit on all of those, but they now have a complement to Alshon Jeffery--or better yet made Alshon Jeffery the big physical complement to an otherwise speedy offense. Even their backup QB selection and their OL were fast and athletic.

But I also really, really like the players we added. I also want to be able to come out with a true TE, an H-back, a RB, and two WRs and line up either in a power formation with a TE, FB, and RB or in a spread formation with everyone split out and bunched. I want to be able to pound, but still have WRs that scare people so they can't bunch up and crowd the line too much against us.

I can't tell you how many mocks I tried to make in which I tried to fit AJ DIllon in AND a RB like Eno Benjamin or Darrynton Evans or Antonio Gibson, but just couldn't figure out how the numbers would work with our roster, so I opted to leave Dillon out. I LOVE what having a not-slow power back brings to the field. But I still want the dynamic speed to give the offense options and to make sure that the short game and the long game both have to be respected on every down.

I want to do both. I don't believe we have to choose. I don't believe MLF's offense is either speed or power (and the 49ers' collective team speed bears that out, as does McVay's more 3-WR version of the scheme mixed with Gurley's power--I in fact told my coworker a week or two ago that Dillon would be the perfect pick for them to replace Gurley and pair with Darnell Henderson). This year, we only did one. We didn't add the dynamic speedy playmaker to the offense that so many of us want. But I'm not going to let that absence derail my admiration for what we CAN do with the players we DID draft.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Apr 2020 11:45
The reason I'm comparing to the 49ers is not because I want to emulate them, honestly. It's because the same people who hate this draft add the people who have been insisting that the 49ers are way ahead of us and have used them as the barometer for success, or for discrediting the merit of our 13-3 record.

It feels very inconsistent to me to see those people complain that we are not the 49ers and then complain when we move in that direction.

I agree they have note team speed and a better interior defensive front and all. But, man, complaining when we aren't the 49ers and then complaining when we are is really tough for me ri swallow.
The problem with this is that we really didn’t do anything the Niners did to get where they are. They drafted OL and DL very high early, then drafted WR very high, then hit homeruns in the mid/late part of the draft to get guys like the fb and kittle. Kittle was a 5th round pick! Plus they have brought in FAs like Sherman and traded for sanders, Trent Williams etc.

We went qb at 1 which they didn’t do, went rb at 2 which they haven’t done. They’ve made streets guys stars bc of their scheme and great OL, TE, and FB play. We have a need for speed at WR and ignored it again. We haven’t traded for any difference makers like they have.

I’m just saying we didn’t actually do a lot of the things they have done to get where they are.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Apr 2020 13:18

We went qb at 1 which they didn’t do, went rb at 2 which they haven’t done.

...I’m just saying we didn’t actually do a lot of the things they have done to get where they are.
The trick to being good isn't picking the same positions in the same rounds as good teams. C'mon man!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

British wrote:
26 Apr 2020 13:37
Drj820 wrote:

We went qb at 1 which they didn’t do, went rb at 2 which they haven’t done.

...I’m just saying we didn’t actually do a lot of the things they have done to get where they are.
The trick to being good isn't picking the same positions in the same rounds as good teams. C'mon man!
Huh? That wasn’t my point at all. I wasn’t saying anything about being good or not. I think we are pretty good. I was saying people are acting like we are changing our philosophy to build a team like the Niners have, and I’m wagering we aren’t really doing much similiar to them even still.

It’s not about us going qb one and rb two, it’s the opportunity cost of doing that and the type of players you can’t get on the OL and DL in the draft when you do that.
Last edited by Drj820 on 26 Apr 2020 13:50, edited 2 times in total.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Drj820 wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Apr 2020 11:45

The problem with this is that we really didn’t do anything the Niners did to get where they are. They drafted OL and DL very high early, then drafted WR very high, then hit homeruns in the mid/late part of the draft to get guys like the fb and kittle. Kittle was a 5th round pick! Plus they have brought in FAs like Sherman and traded for sanders, Trent Williams etc.

We went qb at 1 which they didn’t do, went rb at 2 which they haven’t done. They’ve made streets guys stars bc of their scheme and great OL, TE, and FB play. We have a need for speed at WR and ignored it again. We haven’t traded for any difference makers like they have.

I’m just saying we didn’t actually do a lot of the things they have done to get where they are.
"the FB" (Juszczyk) was not drafted by the 49ers, they signed him in free agency to the largest contract ever given to a FB.

The 49ers offense is not some sort of benchmark for excellence. Yes they ran GB over, but they really blew it with Garrapolo (they paid a ridiculous amount, in compensation and contract, for a ho hum QB) and were not by any means great. Their strength is their defense, especially their pass rusher that they picked #2 overall.

And you can't really say Gute hasn't hit homeruns in the mid-rounds of the draft. The jury is very much still out on guys like Sternberger, Keke, and Hollman, nevermind the rookies. I'd be willing to bet he hit a starting OL in the 6th this year.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:

We went qb at 1 which they didn’t do, went rb at 2 which they haven’t done. They’ve made streets guys stars bc of their scheme and great OL, TE, and FB play. We have a need for speed at WR and ignored it again.

OL and DL early... sounds like... 2019? Gary and Jenkins
Brought in free agents.... sounds like the Smith Bros and Amos?

It's also not HOW you get there. We already have a good OL, so we're only supplementing it. We may have used 3rds not 5ths on our TE and FB spots, but that's still "mid round" and the difference is fairly negligible. We may have used a 2nd on a RB, but they paid a journeyman backup RB (Coleman) $7M a year.

We rolled the dice on an athletic ILB who had injury problems, they rolled the dice on athletic ILB in the mid rounds (Warner).
They traded a second round pick to get a QB. We have one now and used the 26th pick to secure one for later.

You're consumed by process right now. But the point is that this draft helps fill some voids that we have for our offensive scheme. We needed an upgrade to Vitale for that role--and someone who can EXPAND that role. We didn't NEED a power back, but we needed better backs than we have behind Jones and we opted for a different variation.

I, too, want speed. I want team speed. I want a dynamic playmaker like a Deebo, who I loved last year; or the development potential of Hurts, who I loved last year. I get that. No one is going to be able to find a TE who loves to block and runs a 4.50 in the mid rounds like they did on demand. But we also have Adams and they have no one close to that. Our strengths and weaknesses don't have to be identical. Our processes don't have to be identical. Frankly, I want an offense MUCH better than theirs. But we added players that fill important roles in the offense we run and they run.

I encourage everyone to look at our offenses against the 49ers, the Rams, and the Chiefs (maybe the Eagles, if they get it together) in terms of west-coast based schemes that have some relation to each other--and especially the 49ers and Rams. I encourage people to look a little less at process and a little more at scheme.

The Rams spread things out more than the 49ers do or more than we do, but that's a good look, as well.

So let's line it up: Packers, Rams, 49ers...
QB: Aaron Rodgers, Jared Goff, Jimmy Garapolo

WR1: Davante Adams, Robert Woods, ?? Deebo Samuel?
WR2: Allen Lazzard?, Van Jefferson?, Kendrick Bourne? Barndon Ayiuk?
Slot: Devin Funchess, Cooper Kupp, Jalen Hurd?

RB1: Aaron Jones, Cam Akers, Tevin Coleman
RB2: AJ Dillon, Darnell Henderson, Raheem Mostert

TE: Sternberger, Tyler Higbee, George Kittle
TE/FB: Duguara, Gerald Everett, Kyle Jusczyk

Like, HONESTLY, when you pile up all of our weapons alongside other teams who run these similar offenses, do we pale in comparison? Do we not have the best WR1 and RB1 by a landslide? Do we not have the best QB by a landslide? Are our supporting WRs particularly far below the likes of Kendrick Bourne, Jalen Hurd, Cooper Kupp, and rookies like Ayiuk and Van Jefferson?

We have unproven TE/FB/H-backs right now. All three teams have some young receivers who we need to see more of to evaluate. We have less speed than the 49ers, but easily as much as the Rams.

Now let's look at the Chiefs:

QB: Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes

WR1: Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill
WR2: Allen Lazzard?, Sammy Watkins
Slot: Devin Funchess, Mecole Hardman

TE: Jace Sternberger, Travis Kelce
TE/FB: Josiah Deguara, Null

RB1: Aaron Jones, D. Williams
RB2: AJ Dillon, Clyde Edwards Helaire
RB3: Jamaal Williams, D. WIlliams

Ok, so here... we see a VAST difference in WR speed. Do we still have the best WR1 and RB1? We do. The Chiefs, like the 49ers, have the benefit of the rare elite TE (there are only 3 or 4 out there). While Watkins and Hardman are "meh" players for starters, they're speedy. We saw when we played them we were forced into "big play containment mode" which limited our ability to stop them from making smaller gains.

We don't need to completely emulate this, either (there are only a couple players who could replicate Hill's impact, anyway, and the only one in this draft went FAR earlier than we had a chance at). But there is something to be learned here, which is the benefit of having a Hill and a Hardman on the team, threatening to turn any play into a big one, all the while a regular-degular WR like Sammy Watkins can win the matchups remaining.

I'd like to add some players like these, as well. I think it would continue to fit nicely into what MLF wants to do. The good thing AND the frustrating thing is that it may only take one or two players like this to be all we need to see the impact. On one hand, that means we can do it. On the other hand, that makes it more frustrating that this offseason didn't produce one. Maybe Tyler Ervin can grow and develop into something of the sort--he is FAST and he can be used in the slot as well as the backfield.

But I understand the want, the need, the desire to add these playmakers around the offense. But as the 49ers and Rams comparisons show, it's not necessarily needed to fit this scheme.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 26 Apr 2020 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Apr 2020 13:55
Drj820 wrote:

We went qb at 1 which they didn’t do, went rb at 2 which they haven’t done. They’ve made streets guys stars bc of their scheme and great OL, TE, and FB play. We have a need for speed at WR and ignored it again.

OL and DL early... sounds like... 2019? Gary and Jenkins
Brought in free agents.... sounds like the Smith Bros and Amos?

It's also not HOW you get there. We already have a good OL, so we're only supplementing it. We may have used 3rds not 5ths on our TE and FB spots, but that's still "mid round" and the difference is fairly negligible. We may have used a 2nd on a RB, but they paid a journeyman backup RB (Coleman) $7M a year.

We rolled the dice on an athletic ILB who had injury problems, they rolled the dice on athletic ILB in the mid rounds (Warner).
They traded a second round pick to get a QB. We have one now and used the 26th pick to secure one for later.

You're consumed by process right now. But the point is that this draft helps fill some voids that we have for our offensive scheme. We needed an upgrade to Vitale for that role--and someone who can EXPAND that role. We didn't NEED a power back, but we needed better backs than we have behind Jones and we opted for a different variation.

I, too, want speed. I want team speed. I want a dynamic playmaker like a Deebo, who I loved last year; or the development potential of Hurts, who I loved last year. I get that. No one is going to be able to find a TE who loves to block and runs a 4.50 in the mid rounds like they did on demand. But we also have Adams and they have no one close to that. Our strengths and weaknesses don't have to be identical. Our processes don't have to be identical. Frankly, I want an offense MUCH better than theirs. But we added players that fill important roles in the offense we run and they run.

I encourage everyone to look at our offenses against the 49ers, the Rams, and the Chiefs (maybe the Eagles, if they get it together) in terms of west-coast based schemes that have some relation to each other--and especially the 49ers and Rams. I encourage people to look a little less at process and a little more at scheme.

The Rams spread things out more than the 49ers do or more than we do, but that's a good look, as well.

So let's line it up: Packers, Rams, 49ers...
QB: Aaron Rodgers, Jared Goff, Jimmy Garapolo

WR1: Davante Adams, Robert Woods, ?? Deebo Samuel?
WR2: Allen Lazzard?, Van Jefferson?, Kendrick Bourne? Barndon Ayiuk?
Slot: Devin Funchess, Cooper Kupp, Jalen Hurd?

RB1: Aaron Jones, Cam Akers, Tevin Coleman
RB2: AJ Dillon, Darnell Henderson, Raheem Mostert

TE: Sternberger, Tyler Higbee, George Kittle
TE/FB: Duguara, Gerald Everett, Kyle Jusczyk

Like, HONESTLY, when you pile up all of our weapons alongside other teams who run these similar offenses, so we pale in comparison? Do we not have the best WR1 and RB1 by a landslide? DO we not have the best QB by a landslide? Are our supporting WRs particularly far below the likes of Kendrick Bourne, Jalen Hurd, Cooper Kupp, and rookies like Ayiuk and Van Jefferson?

We have unproven TE/FB/H-backs right now. All three teams have some young receivers who we need to see more of to evaluate. We have less speed than the 49ers, but easily as much as the Rams.

Now let's look at the Chiefs:

QB: Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes

WR1: Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill
WR2: Allen Lazzard?, Sammy Watkins
Slot: Devin Funchess, Mecole Hardman

TE: Jace Sternberger, Travis Kelce
TE/FB: Josiah Deguara, Null

RB1: Aaron Jones, D. Williams
RB2: AJ Dillon, Clyde Edwards Helaire
RB3: Jamaal Williams, D. WIlliams

Ok, so here... we see a VAST difference in WR speed. Do we still have the best WR1 and RB1? We do. The Chiefs, like the 49ers, have the benefit of the rare elite TE (there are only 3 or 4 out there). While Watkins and Hardman are "meh" players for starters, they're speedy. We saw when we played them we were forced into "big play containment mode" which limited our ability to stop them from making smaller gains.

We don't need to completely emulate this, either (there are only a couple players who could replicate Hill's impact, anyway, and the only one in this draft went FAR earlier than we had a chance at). But there is something to be learned here, which is the benefit of having a Hill and a Hardman on the team, threatening to turn any play into a big one, all the while a regular-degular WR like Sammy Watkins can win the matchups remaining.

I'd like to add some players like these, as well. I think it would continue to fit nicely into what MLF wants to do. The good thing AND the frustrating thing is that it may only take one or two players like this to be all we need to see the impact. On one hand, that means we can do it. On the other hand, that makes it more frustrating that this offseason didn't produce one. Maybe Tyler Ervin can grow and develop into something of the sort--he is FAST and he can be used in the slot as well as the backfield.

But I understand the want, the need, the desire to add these playmakers around the offense. But as the 49ers and Rams comparisons show, it's not necessarily needed to fit this scheme.
This is a very good post. My point wasn’t so much in the draft order, but how we are still very different Bc of the multiple ways they have gone about building their roster. And bc they used drafts to load up their DL and OL, then fill the rest out aggressively.
But you did a good job of showing that we might be more similiar than I thought. We just need some Bosas and kinlaws :lol:

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Rodgers hits half the bombs he underthrew to MVS last year and this whole team speed argument is nonsense. MVS is a legit 4.3's guy.

And frankly, we have a piece of potential either of them could only dream of, that MLF likely had no idea that he had until mideseaon.

Jones has rare receiving ability for a RB. Expect to see A LOT more of that next season. Jones is the whole package a la Marshall Faulk. Lets see if MLF can unlock that potential. If he does I'd be all for resigning him. And if that is the plan, replacing some of his carries is certainly what I'd want to do, plus it would greatly extend his shelf life.