Packers @ Saints GDT - 9/12/2021 3:25 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Over/Under (Vote for the Over, please vote for first option)

Poll ended at 12 Sep 2021 09:26

Packers wins 0.5 (Vote for this to get an accurate count)
19%
Aaron Jones 85.5 total yards
13%
Davante Adams 6.5 catches
13%
Smiths + Gary 1.75 sacks
15%
1.5 takeaways by D
12%
Bojorquez 41.5 net average
10%
Packers score 27.5
13%
Saints score 22.5
3%

Total votes: 97

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
06 Sep 2021 12:14
paco wrote:
06 Sep 2021 11:26
We all knew this. The question is who starts at LG.
and what is the significance of LG versus right RG again for a right hand throwing QB?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

My gut says that coach goes with the experienced vet over the sophomore player at LG, especially given two first-year players starting the other two interior OL spots. So Patrick over JRJ, even though I feel like Patrick is not as good an LG than RG for some reason, whereas LG seems to be Runyan's best position.

I feel like the LG tends to go up against more athletic DTs and therefore calls for a somewhat more athletic IOL than Patrick, although he does more-or-less get the job done there. Still, Runyan next to Myers and Newman would be a lot of inexperience along the interior, and I doubt MLF would be comfortable with that.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I hope they are going Jenkins, Patrick, Meyers, Newman, Turner and just stay with Newman and Meyers all year. There will be growing pains for sure but I think it will pay off late in the year and moving forward as a team. Patrick is just too limited. Newman has upside.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Yea the saints d was strong last year but let's not forget they lost some keys pieces. Hendrickson is light years better then that bum Davenport (packers really stuck that 1 to the saints :rotf: ) they have a hole at CB and the interior is ok. Ilbers and safeties are strong.

Green Bay beats up Winston and finds ways to score. 30-16

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Za'Darius Smith (55) is indeed back at practice doing some group work. Matt LaFleur said he's "hopeful" the OLB's back issues are cleared up in time for Sunday's opener vs. the Saints. DT Tyler Lancaster (elbow) also has returned. S Vernon Scott (hamstring) is the only non-participant in this light practice.
Good news on Z. I think he plays on a snap count. Never know though with the leagues most conservative medical staff.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
06 Sep 2021 13:30
TheSkeptic wrote:
06 Sep 2021 12:14
paco wrote:
06 Sep 2021 11:26
We all knew this. The question is who starts at LG.
and what is the significance of LG versus right RG again for a right hand throwing QB?
No significance at all. It is simply that he has played mostly at RG in the preseason. Why would the Packers give him 3 games of experience in the preseason at RG and then move him to LG for the season starter. He is a rookie after all, why needlessly complicate his life?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
06 Sep 2021 13:39
My gut says that coach goes with the experienced vet over the sophomore player at LG, especially given two first-year players starting the other two interior OL spots. So Patrick over JRJ, even though I feel like Patrick is not as good an LG than RG for some reason, whereas LG seems to be Runyan's best position.

I feel like the LG tends to go up against more athletic DTs and therefore calls for a somewhat more athletic IOL than Patrick, although he does more-or-less get the job done there. Still, Runyan next to Myers and Newman would be a lot of inexperience along the interior, and I doubt MLF would be comfortable with that.
I agree, just my opinion but I think the LG has to be more athletic to take on combo rushers, the L is the weak side more often then not so he and the LT have to protect blind side rushers for a right handed QB.

I think from L to R it will be Jenkins, Newman, Myers, Patrick, and Turner, but I'am guessing just like everyone else.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

:lol:
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
06 Sep 2021 13:49
Za'Darius Smith (55) is indeed back at practice doing some group work. Matt LaFleur said he's "hopeful" the OLB's back issues are cleared up in time for Sunday's opener vs. the Saints. DT Tyler Lancaster (elbow) also has returned. S Vernon Scott (hamstring) is the only non-participant in this light practice.
Good news on Z. I think he plays on a snap count. Never know though with the leagues most conservative medical staff.
It's his back. I hope they stay as conservative as hell.

Honestly for the same reasons you mentioned about staying with Newman at RG. Sure there may be growing pains, but it will be better long term to make sure Z is healthy and also give the opportunity to Rashan and Preston to ball out right away.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

lupedafiasco wrote:
05 Sep 2021 13:28
NCF wrote:
05 Sep 2021 10:29
BF004 wrote:
05 Sep 2021 08:05
I say we give The Sauce an engagement present next Sunday, getting him a nice tuttie.
My TD predictions are Cobb, Dafney, and Kylin Hill.
A lot of unlikely scores.

I would say Adams x2, Tonyan, and Jones.
I would agree with NCF's assessment, at least for Cobb. I personally think that AR would like nothing more than to welcome RC back with a TD.

I'd also like to see Jaire take a pick-sick, or at least a TD by the D.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Im really interested to see how coach divides up the RB duties. I would really like to see Jones and Dillon on the field at the same time. We have 3 VERY capable backs, when they are all healthy, they really all "deserve" carries. Yet Jones got paid to be the lead dog, and Dillon sits as a 2nd round draft pick in his second year. Which is very high for a RB and would typically also justify getting tons of carries.

Im interested to see if Jones and Dillon do what Jones and Jamaal did where basically they rotate series with Jones getting majority of the series, or if its a true 50/50 split based on series, or if they are running on and off the field throughout the series rotating play by play. I feel play by play would be the hardest for defenses to adjust to, just based on their differences of style...but we did not see this much last year with Jones and Jamaal.

I also hope to see them both on the field at the same time, and I think Hill can help the offense too.

Not a bad problem to have as long as everyone keeps a positive, team first attitude, but we have a CROWD back there.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Sep 2021 10:45
Im really interested to see how coach divides up the RB duties. I would really like to see Jones and Dillon on the field at the same time. We have 3 VERY capable backs, when they are all healthy, they really all "deserve" carries. Yet Jones got paid to be the lead dog, and Dillon sits as a 2nd round draft pick in his second year. Which is very high for a RB and would typically also justify getting tons of carries.

Im interested to see if Jones and Dillon do what Jones and Jamaal did where basically they rotate series with Jones getting majority of the series, or if its a true 50/50 split based on series, or if they are running on and off the field throughout the series rotating play by play. I feel play by play would be the hardest for defenses to adjust to, just based on their differences of style...but we did not see this much last year with Jones and Jamaal.

I also hope to see them both on the field at the same time, and I think Hill can help the offense too.

Not a bad problem to have as long as everyone keeps a positive, team first attitude, but we have a CROWD back there.
Not sure how often we'll see them together. But I fully expect Dillon to be used at least as much as Jamaal was. It keeps both guys fresh and allows you to ride the hot hand that game. Hill will be used sparingly early unless there is an injury. But I expect he'll get his chances as well.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
07 Sep 2021 10:48
Drj820 wrote:

Not sure how often we'll see them together. But I fully expect Dillon to be used at least as much as Jamaal was. It keeps both guys fresh and allows you to ride the hot hand that game. Hill will be used sparingly early unless there is an injury. But I expect he'll get his chances as well.
Yeah I agree even tho Hill is talented, his carries will be tough to come by if everyone is healthy. That said, Dillon is a second round pick in year 2...I would be shocked if he was content to carry the ball as little as Jamaal did. Then, that of course cuts into Jones production...but maybe he wont care because he seems to be such a team guy and is already paid. I just think Dillon will be owed a lot more carries than we gave Jamaal. In my opinion, the dynamic will be interesting to watch play out. Lots of resources put into that position and guys need their carries to get rolling.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Sep 2021 10:52
paco wrote:
07 Sep 2021 10:48
Drj820 wrote:

Yeah I agree even tho Hill is talented, his carries will be tough to come by if everyone is healthy. That said, Dillon is a second round pick in year 2...I would be shocked if he was content to carry the ball as little as Jamaal did. Then, that of course cuts into Jones production...but maybe he wont care because he seems to be such a team guy and is already paid. I just think Dillon will be owed a lot more carries than we gave Jamaal. In my opinion, the dynamic will be interesting to watch play out. Lots of resources put into that position and guys need their carries to get rolling.
I'm sure Dillon would love to be the lead back. But the truth is they gave Jones a bunch of money and he's #1. I think Dillon is ok with that. Jamaal averaged 125 carries over his 4 years here. I think AJ will be ok with that especially after only 46 last year.
RIP JustJeff

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

I really dont think the money matters when it comes to carries. Yes jones is getting the bulk but ML is smart and will try to keep them fresh over a long season. The goal is a title

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah this whole conversation about carries based on how much we've invested in whom is dumb. Flat dumb. Not an ounce of thought will go into the financial investment in Jones or the draft investment of Dillon when divvying carries. Not a single millisecond of time will be devoted to such thoughts in the game planning. Quite honestly the dumbest rationale for any talk of ball distribution I could imagine.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BTW, the Packers have 3 RBs which cost $6.3 million against the cap, good for 16th in RB spending this year and just below the average of $6.9 million, according to spotrac.

We have spent a 2nd, 5th, and 7th round pick on those three players.

The notion that we have "a lot invested" at RB is a very strange one.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Sep 2021 12:20
BTW, the Packers have 3 RBs which cost $6.3 million against the cap, good for 16th in RB spending this year and just below the average of $6.9 million, according to spotrac.

We have spent a 2nd, 5th, and 7th round pick on those three players.

The notion that we have "a lot invested" at RB is a very strange one.
We have a guy on a second contract (rare for the position, for the Packers), and a 2nd round pick (high for the position, when you have another guy on a second contract). Its not that strange.

Anyways, I will be interested to see how the carries are divvied up. Both or all three deserve the ball, yet only one ball.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Sep 2021 12:27
We have a guy on a second contract (rare for the position, for the Packers), and a 2nd round pick (high for the position, when you have another guy on a second contract). Its not that strange.

Anyways, I will be interested to see how the carries are divvied up. Both or all three deserve the ball, yet only one ball.
What I'm saying is that none of those things are rare. I have no idea what you guys are talking about. RBs get taken in rounds 1 or 2 routinely. RBs sign second contracts routinely. The Packers have kept a perfectly reasonable amount of RBs on second contracts.

Spending below the league average in price while also a 2nd round pick and two late day 3 picks on a position is not a lot of resources. It is actually fewer resources than most teams, both in dollars and in draft capital.

The argument that we have invested a lot at RB is dumb. We have not. We've invested a middling amount and gotten great results.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Sean Payton loves to throw the ball but I wonder if he gets smart here and plays a Vikings strat against us. Just run the ball every play, get to 4th and short and do it again. Low passing attempts that are short and safe. I mean the Viking stole that one right out of the previous years 49ers championship game.