Round 1 (26) - Jordan Love, QB Utah State

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Apr 2020 10:59
British wrote:
24 Apr 2020 16:01

Great film breakdown of Love. Interesting that the author makes a Rodgers comp, even though it was made a few weeks ago.

That is a terrific evaluation. Some of the best 15 minutes I’ve spent on NFL prospects this year.
Great video. Still don't like the pick, but the kid is still a kid... 20 years old. So I have hope for him. His age and it will put AR on notice are the only two things I like about this.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

lulu wrote:
24 Apr 2020 19:10
This pick will define Gutey's career. It will be absolutely brilliant or the crushing end of 3 decades of HOF QB play. There is no other way this pick will play out.
Or the Packers win a Superbowl in the next four years with Rodgers and Gute/LeFleur will be hailed as heroes whatever happens with Jordan Love.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

British wrote:
26 Apr 2020 06:09
lulu wrote:
24 Apr 2020 19:10
This pick will define Gutey's career. It will be absolutely brilliant or the crushing end of 3 decades of HOF QB play. There is no other way this pick will play out.
Or the Packers win a Superbowl in the next four years with Rodgers and Gute/LeFleur will be hailed as heroes whatever happens with Jordan Love.
Or Love busts and they keep looking.

I mean, late 20's 1st rounders don't work out quite often. Its not like he's a top 5 pick and expected to one day be the face of the franchise. Dude was taken at #26. He's got the kind of upside you expect out of a guy taken #1 overall (hence when he was considered late 1 to begin with) but needs a lot of development.

A GM isn't going to be fired over a late 1st not working out nor is it going to wreck the franchise. People need to get a grip.

On the flipside, if it does hit, and this truly is an ideal situation to nurture the hit, it will be remembered as a great pick.

If you were to list out Ted's best draft picks, they'd be (IMHO): Rodgers, Collins, Matthews, Bak, and Sitton (Jones and Lang for honorable mention). Love hits and no matter what, it will be the first pick on Gute's all time list.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Yes, people talking about this like we're a team picking first overall looking for a starting QB and having to make sure they pick the right one otherwise it will set the franchise back for 5 years.

That's what happens if you're the Bears and you pick Trubisky over Mahomes and Watson.

But if Love doesn't pan out the Packers could carry on with Rodgers at QB and no one will notice.

About 50% of first round picks are busts. It's only when you have to commit to them as starters at the most important position does it have really long term consequences for the team.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

Patriots coach Bill Belichick said the team failing to draft a quarterback "wasn't by design." 

The Patriots emerged from draft weekend with second-year fourth-rounder Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer still atop the depth chart. "If we feel like we find the right situation, we'll certainly draft them," Belichick said. "We've drafted them in multiple years, multiple points in the draft. Didn't work out the last three days. That wasn't by design." It's hard to believe the Pats will move forward with Stidham as Tom Brady's unquestioned replacement, though he did have a nice 2019 preseason after his disappointing final year at Auburn. The Pats clearly have some degree of comfort after passing on quarterbacks in both the draft and a deep free agent class. 
I bet that means they may have had plans to trade up to get Love especially after choosing to trade down at 23. The best QB of all time has just left and I guarantee Belichick was looking to get a QB in the 1st or 2nd. No way he would've been happy going into the season with the QBs he has. He got too cute by trading down. 

I think the Colts may have seriously considered trading up too as they had two 2nd round picks. Rivers is probably only there for 1 year and it makes sense if they were looking for a QB to groom as his replacement and to ultimately replace Andrew Luck.

Interestingly both teams had a shot at drafting Jalen Hurts in the 2nd but both passed on him. I don't think they expected the Eagles to draft a QB and probably felt they could get him at the bottom of the 2nd or early 3rd round.

Belichick next target was probably Jacob Eason but the Colts nabbed him and he subsequently traded down shortly afterwards.

Its clear both teams were competing with each other to nab a QB, I don't think either expected the Packers to trade up considering we have Rodgers under contract for 4 years or for the Eagles to draft a QB.

You can sort of understand why Belichick said "it wasn't by design".

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I'd add Greg Jennings off the top of my head to that list, I dont know much about Love, except he suffered his last season fore the same reasons Rodgers has struggled, lack of quality receivers, my only reason for disliking the pick is that, we don't need him for a couple more years, and there are LOve types late 1 or 2nd round every year, whats the rush?

If Guty can move up for Love he can also move up a couple more slots for a Reager, Ayuik, players that are very ready to play and would certainly be up to speed by the playoffs, instead he passed on receivers entirely, I don't know where his faith comes from with guys like Lazard, MVS, EQB and the rest, I know I don't have it, and just because Rodgers said he likes these receivers, what would people expect him to say, they suck? of course not, but they dropped more passes then any other receiver group, but he's never openly going to complain about that, so obvious to see the frustration, and sure, some with himself, but it's mostly the receivers.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 Apr 2020 13:39
I'd add Greg Jennings off the top of my head to that list, I dont know much about Love, except he suffered his last season fore the same reasons Rodgers has struggled, lack of quality receivers, my only reason for disliking the pick is that, we don't need him for a couple more years, and there are LOve types late 1 or 2nd round every year, whats the rush?

If Guty can move up for Love he can also move up a couple more slots for a Reager, Ayuik, players that are very ready to play and would certainly be up to speed by the playoffs, instead he passed on receivers entirely, I don't know where his faith comes from with guys like Lazard, MVS, EQB and the rest, I know I don't have it, and just because Rodgers said he likes these receivers, what would people expect him to say, they suck? of course not, but they dropped more passes then any other receiver group, but he's never openly going to complain about that, so obvious to see the frustration, and sure, some with himself, but it's mostly the receivers.
Because you didn't answer me in the other thread....I will ask again.

Where do you get your stats?

Most drops by team in 2019:
Most in league: Bills, Cowboys and Dolphins with 36 drops.
Green Bay Packers drop by team 2019: 24 drops. (22nd most drops in the league...meaning only 10 teams had less drops)

Highest percentage of bad throws in 2019: (this excludes spikes and throwaways)
Detroit Lions with 22.7% of throws were bad throws (most in league)
Green Bay Packers with 21.3% of throws were bad throws (2nd most in league)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... vanced.htm
Last edited by go pak go on 26 Apr 2020 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

What I love about the Love pick is the landing spot. All the scouting reports make clear he has upside but needs coaching to work out the flaws. The draftnik/scouting reports are often with a QB-needy team in mind that require a rookie starter. For those teams Love poses problems.

But if you went back to those same folks and said Love would go sit behind Rodgers for 2-3 years I bet they boost his his chances of being a success. In fact that's been the general reception from what i've seen.

The Packers' 'F' grades for this draft are going to look pretty strange if Love becomes a franchise QB in 3 or 4 years time.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Loves arm talent is stupid. I have never seen someone exert so little effort in a 45 yard pass.

Unbelievable. I'm stoked for this kid.
Yoop wrote:

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

go pak go wrote:
26 Apr 2020 13:47
Loves arm talent is stupid. I have never seen someone exert so little effort in a 45 yard pass.

Yeah, an arm like this is absolutely not available in the late 1st every year.

Hopefully MLF keeps that fishing net drill in camp. Rodgers is for once going to have some serious competition.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
26 Apr 2020 13:44
Yoop wrote:

Green Bay Packers drop by team 2019: 24 drops. (22nd most drops in the league...meaning only 10 teams had less drops)

I read it on yahoo, but it was from acme Packers or another Packer connected writer.

If Love is such a tantalizing prospect why did Belechick pass, he needs a QB for not only now but certainly for the future

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Since when is Belichick the master of evaluating college QBs? Or any college players for that matter. He's hardly known for being a great drafter. It's more about his motivational culture, scheme variety and roster building that is the basis for his success. (And lucking into the best QB of all time in the 6th round).

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 Apr 2020 14:11
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I read it on yahoo, but it was from acme Packers or another Packer connected writer.

If Love is such a tantalizing prospect why did Belechick pass, he needs a QB for not only now but certainly for the future
Same reason why the Bears passed on Mahommes and Watson or Tom Brady fell to Round 5 or Russell Wilson fell to Round 3 or Dak Prescott fell to Round 4.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:

Woah :shock:

That's... so simple. Why did we spend so much time arguing?

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Waldo wrote:
26 Apr 2020 14:00
go pak go wrote:
26 Apr 2020 13:47

Yeah, an arm like this is absolutely not available in the late 1st every year.

Hopefully MLF keeps that fishing net drill in camp. Rodgers is for once going to have some serious competition.
Agree on both! Wasn’t the pick I was expecting but obviously the pro talent evaluators liked him a lot. Works for me, I just watch the games and cheer.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Te goal of Love's development has to be to get his consistency up so that he plays every game like it's Michigan St 2018. That guy is a Pro Bowl player, all game long. That's the ceiling. It's the throws, but the decision-making, the poise, the escapes. All of it is there. If two-four years on the bench gets THOSE habits and THOSE techniques and THOSE throws to be the norm for him, he's unreal.

We need to eliminate the BYU game from his repitoire...

Make the LSU game (where the tape is better than the results) the floor and the Michigan St game the ceiling, the kid has a helluva career. I mean dynamite, whenever and wherever he has it.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Apr 2020 17:32
Te goal of Love's development has to be to get his consistency up so that he plays every game like it's Michigan St 2018. That guy is a Pro Bowl player, all game long. That's the ceiling. It's the throws, but the decision-making, the poise, the escapes. All of it is there. If two-four years on the bench gets THOSE habits and THOSE techniques and THOSE throws to be the norm for him, he's unreal.

We need to eliminate the BYU game from his repitoire...

Make the LSU game (where the tape is better than the results) the floor and the Michigan St game the ceiling, the kid has a helluva career. I mean dynamite, whenever and wherever he has it.
I actually wonder if the Fresno State game is the ceiling. And this is from 2019 when he's lost all but one of his starters from 2018 and had a total coaching staff overhaul.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

British wrote:
26 Apr 2020 18:28
I actually wonder if the Fresno State game is the ceiling. And this is from 2019 when he's lost all but one of his starters from 2018 and had a total coaching staff overhaul.
Thanks! I'll definitely check that out; I was trying to focus on the more well-respected program and tea tapes to resonate with the "he played well against scrubs" crowd, but I'm excited to watch more great throws!