Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
09 Sep 2021 14:23
lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Sep 2021 13:52
I would be fine losing Tonyan. Depends on how much he wants but I’m really high in Deguara and I do think one more camp for Stern will be big for him. I think there are tools to work with but he got a late start being a juco kid and only playing a year of high level ball at A&M. Dad way in top of that puts together a good group.
I gotta say. I'm a little surprised about your comments regarding Billy Turner and calling others here sheep or whatever term you want for Harrell and Randle but then on the same side you showing the confidence you are showing in Sternberger who deserves even less praise than Justin and Dumbarious.
Sternberger in just year 3 on a rookie deal with very limited experience.

Bully Turner who was the worst player on offense in the Championship and has given up the most pressures the past 2 seasons. Not the same. At all.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

First off, Wagner gave up 5 pressures in the NFCCG to Turner's 3. Linsley, Pactrick, and Wagner each had a bad run. Turner had a half. That's not even mentioning Turner flipped to LT. So, he wasn't even our worst offensive lineman...

I would like to see the facts and context to support that Turner has given up the most pressures the past 2 seasons. First you would be comparing him to Elgton Jenkins, Corey Linsley, and David Bakhtiari. No other offensive lineman started the last 2 seasons and it wouldn't be bad to be the worst of that group.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

It'll suck to lose anyone good.

But Tonyan, Jenkins, Adams, Jaire, Savage, Gary, Amos, keeping Aaron Jones long term, Billy Turner.

Obviously can't do them all.

I say focus on the D, keep that as solid as possible, we went a whole decade with an elite O and average at best to poor D and it got us zilch.

Give Love some Tom Brady defenses.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
09 Sep 2021 15:08
The correlation of resources spent and performance of defense has been absolutely meaningless in GB.

But yes. I definitely want to make sure we keep our 2018 and 2019 defensive draft picks into 2nd contracts.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

TJ Watt just got PAID

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
09 Sep 2021 15:32
BF004 wrote:
The correlation of resources spent and performance of defense has been absolutely meaningless in GB.

But yes. I definitely want to make sure we keep our 2018 and 2019 defensive draft picks into 2nd contracts.
Draft capital yes, never FA's and resigning's (not really been many worth resigning), till the Smith's and Amos.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
09 Sep 2021 17:27
TJ Watt just got PAID
Afraid to look.

Quick guess, 5 year 135

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
It'll suck to lose anyone good.

But Tonyan, Jenkins, Adams, Jaire, Savage, Gary, Amos, keeping Aaron Jones long term, Billy Turner.

Obviously can't do them all.

I say focus on the D, keep that as solid as possible, we went a whole decade with an elite O and average at best to poor D and it got us zilch.

not zilch, we have been div. champs and been in the playoffs for most of the decade, just because we don't have as many trophys as we'd like, the run has been very good, I believe what you and most others with gray matter have said over the years, winning it all is much harder then what a team like NE has made it out to b e.

also, I think fielding a great defense year after year is harder then building a offense thats great as long as ya have a very good QB, just my opinion, ya just need a few impact players to go with that QB, on defense ya need quality at more positions.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Give me an MVP caliber QB and get me a top 5 defense, been saying that for years.

Not sure of any credence to yoops shoot from the hip sustainability comment, with zero supporting evidence.

But no one wins without a top defense.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
09 Sep 2021 17:28
Backthepack4ever wrote:
TJ Watt just got PAID
Afraid to look.

Quick guess, 5 year 135
4 yr $112 mil extension with $80 mil guaranteed

Yowza

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
09 Sep 2021 20:26
BF004 wrote:
09 Sep 2021 17:28
Backthepack4ever wrote:
TJ Watt just got PAID
Afraid to look.

Quick guess, 5 year 135
4 yr $112 mil extension with $80 mil guaranteed

Yowza
$24.5M per year in total value. Strong

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Sep 2021 08:43
BF004 wrote:
09 Sep 2021 08:40
lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Sep 2021 08:30

Strongly disagree.
Must

Stick

To

Agenda

Simply asinine you still think that after the year he just had.
The year where he got all the help and when he couldnt get that help anymore got embarrassed? That year? The agenda is you people trying to justify that horrible signing at every turn.
Still trying. I pride myself on knowing NFL rosters and I have no idea who this even is.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Sep 2021 14:47
go pak go wrote:
09 Sep 2021 14:23
lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Sep 2021 13:52
I would be fine losing Tonyan. Depends on how much he wants but I’m really high in Deguara and I do think one more camp for Stern will be big for him. I think there are tools to work with but he got a late start being a juco kid and only playing a year of high level ball at A&M. Dad way in top of that puts together a good group.
I gotta say. I'm a little surprised about your comments regarding Billy Turner and calling others here sheep or whatever term you want for Harrell and Randle but then on the same side you showing the confidence you are showing in Sternberger who deserves even less praise than Justin and Dumbarious.
Sternberger in just year 3 on a rookie deal with very limited experience.

Bully Turner who was the worst player on offense in the Championship and has given up the most pressures the past 2 seasons. Not the same. At all.
this is just so wrong I had to go dig this twitter clip from PFF I'd seen months back where Turner was given plus 90 grades with both pass pro and run blocking last season, obviously grades fluctuate depending on the grading people, but PFF does have a pretty good rating, huge bounce back year from 019 to last season, and he's much better as a right side player then left, RT is his best position I think.

also what does Sternberger do better then Dequara? zipe, he's slower, his hands are worse, and he can't block for &%$@, like I said, he's trade bait, maybe we can get a conditional late rounder, cut our losses, I don't know if he was ever fast, but he looks slower then Lewis now, did you see Dequara out run both the safety and the lber to the edge for a first down, Sternberger only can wish he'd be able to get that done, just my opinion,

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Sternberger is most definitely faster than Lewis.

And honestly we have seen so little of Sterny and Deguara that I don't any real evaluation can be made on either of them at this point.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
11 Sep 2021 18:00

And honestly we have seen so little of Sterny and Deguara that I don't any real evaluation can be made on either of them at this point.
well he sure hasn't looked faster in the PS games, and Dequara has looked much quicker, I have no idea why anyone would defend Sternberger, the guy has either been injured, or played well below his draft status since we drafted him.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
12 Sep 2021 05:36
go pak go wrote:

well he sure hasn't looked faster in the PS games, and Dequara has looked much quicker, I have no idea why anyone would defend Sternberger, the guy has either been injured, or played well below his draft status since we drafted him.
So you like Dequara. The knock on Aaron Rodgers in his early seasons was that he was hurt too much and made of glass. But Sternberger has been hurt too much so you don't like him? This does not compute, Will Rodgers.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
12 Sep 2021 06:09
Yoop wrote:
12 Sep 2021 05:36
go pak go wrote:

So you like Dequara. The knock on Aaron Rodgers in his early seasons was that he was hurt too much and made of glass. But Sternberger has been hurt too much so you don't like him? This does not compute, Will Rodgers.
dont remember a knock on Rodgers for being hurt to much, one injury, Sternberger lovers baffle me, he has always looked slow, doesn't run crisp routes because he's to slow, has shown near zero athletic ability, and is a poor blocker, this is year 3 and he stunk except for one play the whole pre season, Dequara will keep Sternberger riding pine all year, why keep him over a backup with promise?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Why does everything have to be so extreme? You're either a lover or a cut him. Why is there never room for middle ground of debate in anything anymore? Why does every debate have to be a screaming match? Why does every debate have to have such strong words like "slow as molasses", or always hurt, etc.?

I used strong language on Martin at LB because his only live action had him missing tackles, attacking the wrong hole and being behind every other LB in OTA's, Minicamp and TC. He also did the "dreaded" position switch. Kamal Martin deserved strong language. But the TE position does not.

Here is what we know about Sternberger: he was injured over half his entire rookie year and when he came back, he needed to play H back and he played it okay. Enough for fans to be pretty darned excited about him. He also caught a TD in the postseason with a great reaction move to get open.

His 2nd year, he definitely played 2nd fiddle to Robert Tonyan. Something fans got wrong again as the popular thing was "Robert Tonyan is going to get cut" (again fans are morons with such extreme language and everyone here will deny they said it...maybe I even said it. Who knows). Robert Tonyan took an unexpected jump to become likely a top TE in the league and Sternberger, who basically plays the same role, had to be backup duty in that role. (but would get a very active role if Tonyan misses time)

Sternberger still through all of those had the 2nd most production of TE's last year. He would have had even more production but Rodgers had a stretch there between Tampa, MN, and Houston where he grossly threw bad balls to TE's (MN was a very windy game) and these bad throws extremely limited the production of the TE's as they all left massive yards and TDs on the field. (yes Rodgers isn't perfect either). Sternberger is not a good blocker, but he has shown with is receiving opportunities he can perform in the open field.

Deguara we have very little tape on outside of a strong week 1 performance with some good blocking and one strong reception on the sideline until an injury took him out (funny that injuries are a knock on Sternberger but not on Deguara). We know MLF really likes him and his role is largely going to be more suited in that H-Back role where he is supposedly really good at blocking in the open field. There is a lot of reason to be really excited about Deguara. Dominique Daffney also came in last year with ridiculous athleticism and showed us we should be really excited about him too.

And for the love of god. It is D-E-G-U-A-R-A. It's almost like there is pleasure being had by seeing how many people can be spelled wrong. If you want to have some credibility on looking like you know what you're talking about....google the damn name first. Your credibility just plummets when you don't.

I mean a Q in Dequara? :roll:

There is an argument to be had to not have enough room on the 53 for 5 TEs and an argument to be had to keep 5 TEs. Right now we have Jake Hanson on the 53 who will never dress this season. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sternberger replaces Hanson on the 53 entering Week 3 and Jake goes back to the P-Squad.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
12 Sep 2021 08:02
Sternberger still through all of those had the 2nd most production of TE's last year. He would have had even more production but Rodgers had a stretch there between Tampa, MN, and Houston where he grossly threw bad balls to TE's (MN was a very windy game) and these bad throws extremely limited the production of the TE's as they all left massive yards and TDs on the field. (yes Rodgers isn't perfect either). Sternberger is not a good blocker, but he has shown with is receiving opportunities he can perform in the open field.
in two years Stern has caught 12 passes for 114 yrds, I wouldn't brag about his being the 2nd best TE last year, imo Deguara ( thanks for the spelling correction, as though I give a $%@#) was drafted because Lafluer and Guty new that Stern was a bust already, they didn't play Deguara more to protect him, they played Stern to decide if he's worth keeping, Deguara isn't just a HB either, he caught that first down pass as a in line TE, he does everything Stern does only better.

we have Tonyan, Deguara, Lewis, and Daffney, I doubt we'll keep 5 TE's

funny how Rodgers is so accurate to everyone but the TE's, why do you suppose that is? because they are not where they are suppose to be, Rodgers throws to the catch point of the routes, here you go again blaming Rodgers for other peoples mistakes.

all I'am saying is that Sternberger has not looked any better then he did last year, and in the little action I've seen of Deguara he looks much better, who would you keep on the 53? easy choice for me

pretty strong language right here calling us fans morons, nice to know what you really think, pointing your finger at everyone when you yourself do the same thing, Martin had the athletic ability we had been searching for, everyone liked that, cept you I guess.

(again fans are morons with such extreme language and everyone here will deny they said it ( GPG)

here you are lifting yourself above everyone else, the level headed fan :rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop. If you would read, you would see I put myself in that group of fans being morons. Because fans are stupid and fans have very limited information.
"Robert Tonyan is going to get cut" (again fans are morons with such extreme language and everyone here will deny they said it...maybe I even said it. Who knows).
I wouldn't be surprised if Sternberer is cut. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays on the 53.

I certainly wouldn't be comfortable stating, "let Tonyan walk because we have Sternberger and I got a gut feeling he will be good" but I also find it ridiculous to state he is in no place worthy of a roster spot because of the 6 snaps we saw of him compared to the 3 snaps we saw of Deguara in preseason.
Yoop wrote: