Packers @ Saints GDT - 9/12/2021 3:25 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Over/Under (Vote for the Over, please vote for first option)

Poll ended at 12 Sep 2021 09:26

Packers wins 0.5 (Vote for this to get an accurate count)
19%
Aaron Jones 85.5 total yards
13%
Davante Adams 6.5 catches
13%
Smiths + Gary 1.75 sacks
15%
1.5 takeaways by D
12%
Bojorquez 41.5 net average
10%
Packers score 27.5
13%
Saints score 22.5
3%

Total votes: 97

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Sep 2021 23:00
go pak go wrote:
16 Sep 2021 21:18
lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Sep 2021 19:46

If this is the plan LaFleur needs to step in and get these guys to play within the offense. Adams is gonna be pissy because this is how his season is going to go but coach needs to get him to buy in to making space for his team. Rodgers as well.

A lot of what I’m seeing and hearing from the team is making me very nervous that this is just going to be a mediocre year. I think coach is being a little to soft on the players and the players have their egos going wild between Z, Adams, and Rodgers. On top of that you have a proven failure at DC and an idiot at GM.
I agree with this (except that final sentence as that is too premature) but I too share in the rest of your sentiment.
Undoubtedly two things we are going to have to contend with this year that will not be in the best interest of the win and loss column...Adams with no deal wanting padded stats for bargaining power, and Rodgers wanting to get him that as he looks to pad his own stats. Look for forced balls near the end zone to Tonyan too.
The more I read this year is going to be a disaster of egos playing for what they think is the “last dance” which works ways better for basketball where players can take over the game on offense and defense. Unfortunately Adams and Rodgers cannot play for thy sorry group on the other side.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
17 Sep 2021 00:11
Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:
16 Sep 2021 21:18

I agree with this (except that final sentence as that is too premature) but I too share in the rest of your sentiment.
Undoubtedly two things we are going to have to contend with this year that will not be in the best interest of the win and loss column...Adams with no deal wanting padded stats for bargaining power, and Rodgers wanting to get him that as he looks to pad his own stats. Look for forced balls near the end zone to Tonyan too.
The more I read this year is going to be a disaster of egos playing for what they think is the “last dance” which works ways better for basketball where players can take over the game on offense and defense. Unfortunately Adams and Rodgers cannot play for thy sorry group on the other side.
There was always that chance. I was pretty convinced in camp it wouldn't be an issue because this locker room is so strong. Adams is already known as the top WR so I figured he and Rodgers wanted a ring above all else. But last Sunday it definitely crept in my mind of ego play.

Far too early and honestly at any time this team can "get it" and turn it around quickly. Really all they need to do is play well in January and February.

But honestly I wouldn't be surprised at all if we are 1-3 going into the Bengals game.

Overall, I think the offense will be fine. I think they will get back in their rhythm and timing and take what is given. There is too much talent at key spots for it to not work.

The defense long run concerns me. The fact that we saw the same issues of Lowry, Keke and King getting owned like we did last year and being the primary reason the opponent was successful makes me concerned. The good news is hopefully Slayton and Stokes can come in and eventually take over those roles.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
17 Sep 2021 06:52
lupedafiasco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

There was always that chance. I was pretty convinced in camp it wouldn't be an issue because this locker room is so strong. Adams is already known as the top WR so I figured he and Rodgers wanted a ring above all else. But last Sunday it definitely crept in my mind of ego play.

Far too early and honestly at any time this team can "get it" and turn it around quickly. Really all they need to do is play well in January and February.

But honestly I wouldn't be surprised at all if we are 1-3 going into the Bengals game.

Overall, I think the offense will be fine. I think they will get back in their rhythm and timing and take what is given. There is too much talent at key spots for it to not work.

The defense long run concerns me. The fact that we saw the same issues of Lowry, Keke and King getting owned like we did last year and being the primary reason the opponent was successful makes me concerned. The good news is hopefully Slayton and Stokes can come in and eventually take over those roles.
growing pains in a new defensive scheme, and Rodgers needs to cinch his belt tighter, no worry's, I think people are ready to jump from the balcony already and we are still at the ground floor of the season.

we probably only opened the first page of the playbook last week, very vanilla, I think mostly because we rested all our starters on both sides of the ball, I know no one wants to hear excuses, but that alone made a big difference to me, lack of timing and cohesion can make a offense look terrible, and defense requires everyone to be in sync or your bound to give up big chunk plays and points.

Adams is right, we have always been very cautious, Rodgers hates throwing picks, and into double coverage, it's not about forcing the ball as much as it is recognizing that Adams wins most battles, while often the others don't, and they don't catch as many contested balls either, if they want more targets they have to earn them, the only one of the others do actually do so is Tonyan, hopefully the others improve.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

If the wheels really fall off the wagon there is always the option of trading Adams and Rodgers week 8 for a HAUL, and just rolling with Love. Heck, find a team that is desperate for a K that thinks they will make the playoffs (there is always one) and dump Crosby too. I dont expect to get to that point but if we are like 2 and 6 at that point, it would be the smart thing to do.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Just read an article on CBS Sports website that the Packers were working the phones this week calling teams looking for an ILB, but apparently had no luck so far.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

williewasgreat wrote:
17 Sep 2021 10:31
Just read an article on CBS Sports website that the Packers were working the phones this week calling teams looking for an ILB, but apparently had no luck so far.
I'd make a trade for a DT if it comes to it by October.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I don't normally go to other forums to get a read on what other fans are thinking, now I know why, it's just to depressing, way worse then here, even though this place can get that way after a crap game, the couple had members ready to tank the season after 8 games if where no better then 5 and 3, they must have forgotten that we where a 10-6 team the year we won the SB, often the best teams don't win it all, often a healthy second rate team does, lots of good and bad happens to all teams during the course of a now 17 game schedule, far, far to early about talking of throwing in the towel, course being a ol grid iron die hard, throwing the towel in has never been part of my vocabulary, I don't care if it does help draft status, I play to win every game.
one dude wanted to bench Rodgers against the Lions as punishment for last Sunday :rotf:

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Drj820 wrote:
17 Sep 2021 07:52
go pak go wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

If the wheels really fall off the wagon there is always the option of trading Adams and Rodgers week 8 for a HAUL, and just rolling with Love. Heck, find a team that is desperate for a K that thinks they will make the playoffs (there is always one) and dump Crosby too. I dont expect to get to that point but if we are like 2 and 6 at that point, it would be the smart thing to do.
Isn't this pretty much a Catch-22? If the Pack is doing that poorly, why would anyone give up a load for players that were supposed to make the train run?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
16 Sep 2021 20:34
thing is everyone except Adams and Tonyan can't be trusted to catch the ball, run a crisp route, or get separation, that s why Rodgers force feeds Adams, the last NFCCG is evidence of that.
Rodgers has a long history of locking in on a favorite target, even when he has plenty of other good ones (e.g. force feeding Finley when he had Nelson, Cobb and Jones). This is a guy who, after we beat the Bills in McCarthy's final year, complained that Adams did not get the ball enough, and his argument was that Adams HAS to be getting the ball a lot every game because of how "dynamic" he is – not simply that he was open a lot that game.

Rodgers is not force feeding because he doesn't have a choice. He does it because he believes in it.

He also has force fed receivers who are NOT EVEN GOOD!!!!! He used to force feed Jimmy Graham even as the guy could neither catch or run. We know this because Rodgers used to say in press conferences at the time how important it was that they get Graham involved. And we had (much) better options, namely Adams.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Half Empty wrote:
17 Sep 2021 14:45
Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Isn't this pretty much a Catch-22? If the Pack is doing that poorly, why would anyone give up a load for players that were supposed to make the train run?
Yes they would. Every NFL coach has enough ego to think that they could easily revive Rodgers or Adams to greatness. They also may just blame our defense or a number of other things. We could be 0-8 and I would expect to get a haul for Adams or Rodgers.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
17 Sep 2021 15:08
Yoop wrote:
16 Sep 2021 20:34
thing is everyone except Adams and Tonyan can't be trusted to catch the ball, run a crisp route, or get separation, that s why Rodgers force feeds Adams, the last NFCCG is evidence of that.
Rodgers has a long history of locking in on a favorite target, even when he has plenty of other good ones (e.g. force feeding Finley when he had Nelson, Cobb and Jones). This is a guy who, after we beat the Bills in McCarthy's final year, complained that Adams did not get the ball enough, and his argument was that Adams HAS to be getting the ball a lot every game because of how "dynamic" he is – not simply that he was open a lot that game.

Rodgers is not force feeding because he doesn't have a choice. He does it because he believes in it.

He also has force fed receivers who are NOT EVEN GOOD!!!!! He used to force feed Jimmy Graham even as the guy could neither catch or run. We know this because Rodgers used to say in press conferences at the time how important it was that they get Graham involved. And we had (much) better options, namely Adams.
I disagree to a point, he's only been locking on Adams since everyone with talent declined, he's actually known to spread the ball around, there are plenty of games when 8 or 9 differen't receivers caught balls.

Graham had lost a step, but he was consistent, like Tonyan if it was near him he caught it, bottom line is this, he lacks trust in the others, either they are not at the pitch point or they drop the balls, and if Rodgers says we need to feed a player the ball I trust his judgement to know what he's talking about, Graham wasn't worth what we paid for him, but he wasn't a washed up player, didn't Chicago grab up Graham after we let him go????

this stuff that Adams said about Rodgers throwing him with double coverage seemed to rock peoples boat, as though he hasn't already been doing a lot of that, and he does it mostly because the others just aren't open during his route progression reads.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
17 Sep 2021 15:28
Half Empty wrote:
17 Sep 2021 14:45
Drj820 wrote:

Yes they would. Every NFL coach has enough ego to think that they could easily revive Rodgers or Adams to greatness. They also may just blame our defense or a number of other things. We could be 0-8 and I would expect to get a haul for Adams or Rodgers.
coaches generally have nothing to do with buying players, any team interested would have to be doing well enough that Rodgers could get them over the top, and that would probably be around the trade deadline.

plus I can't see us being 0-8, or even 5-3, I think people are jumping the gun on this NO loss, doesn't take much to look real bad in a game, happens to very good teams every year.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I have no real faith in the defense to be good this year; my only real hope is that they are adequate while the offense reverts to 2020 form.

If they are losing games for us by mid-season, I would not hesitate to kick Barry outta here and have Gray take over.
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The level of yum yum feasting that Payton Did on Barry cant be overstated. 4th and 7 screen passes? Lol the guy had Zero respect for Barry or our defense. Yikes.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

GREEN BAY – It will take more than an abysmal debut for new Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Joe Barry to get discouraged.

The Packers were humbled in their 38-3 opening loss to the New Orleans Saints, allowing almost as many touchdown passes (5) as they forced incompletions (6) against quarterback Jameis Winston. For Barry, a coordinator with an unflattering past of producing bottom-ranked defenses, it was an inauspicious debut.

Barry was undeterred when he spoke with reporters Friday for the first time since his debut.

“You never have to worry about me, promise,” Barry said. “I’m great. You know, it’s a long season. Of course, not the way you want to start things, but I love this group of guys. I love the way they bounced back this week.”

we've had coaches that say there GREAT, we'd just rather he shows us he is, I agree Payton had his number, it was as though Payton and staff read our game plan.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
18 Sep 2021 07:36
GREEN BAY – It will take more than an abysmal debut for new Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Joe Barry to get discouraged.

The Packers were humbled in their 38-3 opening loss to the New Orleans Saints, allowing almost as many touchdown passes (5) as they forced incompletions (6) against quarterback Jameis Winston. For Barry, a coordinator with an unflattering past of producing bottom-ranked defenses, it was an inauspicious debut.

Barry was undeterred when he spoke with reporters Friday for the first time since his debut.

You never have to worry about me, promise,” Barry said. “I’m great. You know, it’s a long season. Of course, not the way you want to start things, but I love this group of guys. I love the way they bounced back this week.”

we've had coaches that say there GREAT, we'd just rather he shows us he is, I agree Payton had his number, it was as though Payton and staff read our game plan.
Barry is doing fine with this week bc he is used to results like this. It’s happened his entire career as DC.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Sep 2021 07:43
Yoop wrote:

You never have to worry about me, promise,” Barry said. “I’m great. You know, it’s a long season. Of course, not the way you want to start things, but I love this group of guys. I love the way they bounced back this week.”

Barry is doing fine with this week bc he is used to results like this. It’s happened his entire career as DC.
coaches say all kinds of things after a loss, I wouldn't expect a coach to say negative stuff, specially about themselves, I'd imagine Barry has been burning the mid night oil and working hard with the players all week.

I did some research prior to his hiring, I actually like that safety coach for the Rams more who's name I've forgotten, others here liked Rich Richards, the architect of the legion of Doom old Seattle defense, but I expect he wanted to much money because he went unhired last year, maybe he had attitude issues, same with Jim Leonard from Wis. he probably wants that HC job which probably would pay more :idn:

who knows exactly why Lafluer chose Barry, or if Lafluer was the only decision maker, or if he had to chose someone that would agree to our contract ceiling, I didn't know much about Jerry Gray, but ya can't argue with our secondary success last year under his watch.

whatever, I doubt Barry has a long leash, to much is riding on this team, more debacles like last week will not be good for his longevity, and Gray, now having some time behind the wheel would seem like a good mid season replacement.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Drj820 wrote:
:rotf: Hahahahaha! Sad but true...
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Sep 2021 07:03

The level of yum yum feasting that Payton Did on Barry cant be overstated. 4th and 7 screen passes? Lol the guy had Zero respect for Barry or our defense. Yikes.
And to a tight-end!!!!! :messedup: :thwap:
—Magneto

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Why is he saying they "bounced back?" We haven't even played the $%@# game yet!!