Rodgers and the Cap

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Rodgers and the Cap

Post by Madcity_matt »

Just some information to share on Rodgers contracts, as some of the posters who hate the Love pick don't have a firm grasp on how Rodgers contract plays out.

cut before/during this season: 21.6M Cap figure, 51.1M Dead money, (29.5 cap savings) ouch
Cut before/during 2021 season: 36.3M Cap, 31.5M Dead money, 4.8M Cap savings
Cut before/during 2022 season: 39.8M Cap, 17.2M Dead money, 22.6M Cap savings
Cut before/during 2023 season: 28.3M Cap, 2.8M Dead money, 25.5M Cap savings

This nonsense about not being able to cut Rodgers for the entire length of Love's rooking contract are absurd. GB could move on from Rodgers after this season and actually bank a bit of cap savings, and a massive one after two seasons.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Madcity_matt wrote:
27 Apr 2020 14:43
Just some information to share on Rodgers contracts, as some of the posters who hate the Love pick don't have a firm grasp on how Rodgers contract plays out.

cut before/during this season: 21.6M Cap figure, 51.1M Dead money, (29.5 cap savings) ouch

This nonsense about not being able to cut Rodgers for the entire length of Love's rooking contract are absurd. GB could move on from Rodgers after this season and actually bank a bit of cap savings, and a massive one after two seasons.
It would be foolish to eat 15% of your salary cap on 1 player who isn't even on the team. It's still pretty bad to eat 8%, but manageable. Rodgers is here for 2 more years almost regardless of what happens. It would be better to bench him in 2021 than trade or cut him. At least then you have a backup. 2022 is the first realistic year we can move on.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Thanks for the info.

Maybe we just aren’t ready to move on from Rodgers for love that quick? That is, the fans that don’t like the pick. Personally, unless something crazy happens I hope Rodgers is the starter for 3 more seasons. Possibly even 4.

If we see massive decline or another major injury, it will be great to have Love. But bringing love in cost a lot too. If we just planned on moving on from him as quick as we can, then giving him the contract in the first place becomes almost criminal.

I am all for giving Rodgers a good backup at this point in his career, but I would have loved to make it Eason in the 4th or something like that.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Apr 2020 14:53
Madcity_matt wrote:

It would be foolish to eat 15% of your salary cap on 1 player who isn't even on the team. It's still pretty bad to eat 8%, but manageable. Rodgers is here for 2 more years almost regardless of what happens. It would be better to bench him in 2021 than trade or cut him. At least then you have a backup. 2022 is the first realistic year we can move on.
You'd be freeing cap, not using it up. I'm not advocating him being cut after this season, but your contract savings is more than his dead money, freeing up almost 5M in cap space.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Love isn't ready now anyway. I think he''ll benefit hugely from 2 or 3 years learning. Rodgers did.

Best case scenario is we get a few more years of high quality Rodgers play and trade him in 2023 for decent compensation to a team desperate to overpay for a first ballot HOF QB.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
It would be foolish to eat 15% of your salary cap on 1 player who isn't even on the team.
Of course it is, but it also is a one-time proposition transitioning to a new QB with a net positive salary cap impact... the point is its not impossible. I agree Rodgers will be here for at least two more years, but what I hope this is showing is we do have options depending on how the situation unfolds.

Read More. Post Less.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Apr 2020 14:54
Thanks for the info.

Maybe we just aren’t ready to move on from Rodgers for love that quick? That is, the fans that don’t like the pick. Personally, unless something crazy happens I hope Rodgers is the starter for 3 more seasons. Possibly even 4.

If we see massive decline or another major injury, it will be great to have Love. But bringing love in cost a lot too. If we just planned on moving on from him as quick as we can, then giving him the contract in the first place becomes almost criminal.

I am all for giving Rodgers a good backup at this point in his career, but I would have loved to make it Eason in the 4th or something like that.
I'm not ready to move on from Rodgers either. He's still a very good quarterback who used to be amazing, and still has amazing games in his tank. Reality of the situation is at some point it will be time to follow the Rodgers show. If he gets hurt, his play falls off or he starts demanding an extension it's nice to have some security at the most important position on the team. I'm also not advocating for the pick. I would have taken Queen there, but I'm not the GM. They think they had a chance at a special player and they took it. It's a ballsy move.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

NCF wrote:
27 Apr 2020 14:59
Pckfn23 wrote:
It would be foolish to eat 15% of your salary cap on 1 player who isn't even on the team.
Of course it is, but it also is a one-time proposition transitioning to a new QB with a net positive salary cap impact... the point is its not impossible. I agree Rodgers will be here for at least two more years, but what I hope this is showing is we do have options depending on how the situation unfolds.
thanks, yes that was exactly my point :)

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Madcity_matt wrote:
27 Apr 2020 14:58
Pckfn23 wrote:
Madcity_matt wrote:

You'd be freeing cap, not using it up. I'm not advocating him being cut after this season, but your contract savings is more than his dead money, freeing up almost 5M in cap space.
Only in years 2022 and 2023 is his cap savings more than his dead cap. $4.8 million is some savings, but you are also paying $31.5 million for nothing that year. It would be better to keep him as a backup in 2021, at the very least. Rodgers as a backup QB would very much be worth $4.8 million.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 27 Apr 2020 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
No one said it was impossible. I said it would be foolish, which it would be.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Apr 2020 15:03
NCF wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
And what did I say with my first four words? Stop arguing with yourself.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
27 Apr 2020 15:04
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Apr 2020 15:03
NCF wrote:

And what did I say with my first four words? Stop arguing with yourself.
Yet, no where did I say it was impossible, so not seeing why you use the 6 words after the ellipsis. You are arguing a point I didn't even make.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

You take my use of the quote box too literally, so I am not using it here. In a broader sense, many are saying it is impossible, hence I saw fit to mention that.

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

The problem is that the longer the Packers keep Rodgers, the less he is worth in a trade. Which would you rather have, no dead cap or a boatload of good draft picks? Sort of like the Hadl trade in reverse.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
27 Apr 2020 15:20
You take my use of the quote box too literally, so I am not using it here. In a broader sense, many are saying it is impossible, hence I saw fit to mention that.
:aok:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Will be interesting to see if we pick up Love's 5th year option during the 2023 offseason after Aaron wins MVP and Super Bowl MVP.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Honestly, now that we've all laid this out, let's all just agree that it is a non-issue for at LEAST 2 years. Rodgers is our QB. I look forward to the chat in 2022, where I'll say "It's still one year too soon" but at least then, I'll have sympathy for the discussion.

What if, and hear me out....
Spoiler
this WHOLE thing. Is only a big deal to the fans and the media? What if the team, the QB room, the coaches, Rodgers... what if everything's.... just fine?
:idn: :dunno:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Apr 2020 18:28
Honestly, now that we've all laid this out, let's all just agree that it is a non-issue for at LEAST 2 years. Rodgers is our QB. I look forward to the chat in 2022, where I'll say "It's still one year too soon" but at least then, I'll have sympathy for the discussion.

What if, and hear me out....
Spoiler
this WHOLE thing. Is only a big deal to the fans and the media? What if the team, the QB room, the coaches, Rodgers... what if everything's.... just fine?
:idn: :dunno:
I think that is more probable then not. I really do. Here's the thing. Some day a decision will need to be made, one way or another. That day is not today. Its not tomorrow. Its not in the foreseeable future. But, when that day comes, hopefully its a really difficult decision between two very good short and long term options. If Rodgers wants to play until he's 45 and is playing at high level. Fine. Trade Love. It's not that big of a deal. But WEAPONS !!!111! It's QB. It's the most important position on the field and we are now poised to have OUR choice between Option A and Option B, both of which figure to be good options.

Read More. Post Less.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

YoHoChecko wrote:
What if Rodgers doesn’t report to training camp this year?

I doubt that will happen because he is so concerned with his legacy. But you know that the Love pick has to bug the hell out of Arod (and I don’t blame him). He’s a HOFer.

Especially since he has stipulated that he wants to play into his 40’s. Rodgers can put on a game face but he is a sensitive dude. He has to be thinking WTF! That has to bleed over somewhere.

So maybe he holds out and takes his legacy to New England.
Love is the answer…

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Foosball wrote:
27 Apr 2020 19:57
YoHoChecko wrote:
What if Rodgers doesn’t report to training camp this year?

I doubt that will happen because he is so concerned with his legacy. But you know that the Love pick has to bug the hell out of Arod (and I don’t blame him). He’s a HOFer.

Especially since he has stipulated that he wants to play into his 40’s. Rodgers can put on a game face but he is a sensitive dude. He has to be thinking WTF! That has to bleed over somewhere.

So maybe he holds out and takes his legacy to New England.
Rodgers isn’t going to not report. He’s gonna come in and do the best to make this front office look stupid with the crap talent he has around him to the best of his abilities.
Cancelled by the forum elites.