Packers Waive Sternberger

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Packers Waive Sternberger

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Even Deguara's unavailability couldn't save the waste of talent that is Jace Sternberger.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Just another pick in the Gutey area not seeing out his rookie deal.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
21 Sep 2021 12:13
Even Deguara's unavailability couldn't save the waste of talent that is Jace Sternberger.
to bad we couldn't at least get a conditional pick, my horns a blowing on this one, as I said whatever athletic ability Sterns had seemed lost after his injury, he looked slower in PS games then I originally remember, and Deguara looked much quicker, so to me he is our #2 TE, plus we have Daffney, Stern just seemed expendable.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
21 Sep 2021 12:18
Just another pick in the Gutey area not seeing out his rookie deal.
They are definitely piling up for sure and something to take notice.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I hope he ends up back on the PS.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

paco wrote:
21 Sep 2021 12:28
I hope he ends up back on the PS.
Not gonna happen. Probably best for Jace for a clean start on a team with a need. Still hoping he turns into something, because I think he can. As long as it isn't in the division.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I was kind of expecting this after his suspension to be honest.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Seems like a Patriots type of pick up. They dont need him though.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Whenever I see a talented guy like Sternberger flash, but never get consistent, I wonder if he has trouble learning the playbook.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Tonyan took the job that Jace was drafted to do. Simple as that. Teams don't keep backup TE's around real long, esp teams like GB that have 3 "starting" positions. Practice squad is where TE's are developed.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Waldo wrote:
21 Sep 2021 12:50
Tonyan took the job that Jace was drafted to do. Simple as that. Teams don't keep backup TE's around real long, esp teams like GB that have 3 "starting" positions. Practice squad is where TE's are developed.
I would have cut Dafney and tried 1 more year but thats just me. Im not impressed by either but Dafney you can get on the PS. Stern probably not.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

If a half dozen teams have interest including contenders...maybe we will regret cutting him. I would have given through the year to prove himself.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Waldo wrote:
I mean I don't think that's the valid excuse for Stern. The bigger thing is he sucked. The Packers would keep him around if they felt he could contribute now and in the future but they didn't feel that way and feel others on the roster are better.

Simple as that. He wasn't competing vs Tonyan at this point. He was competing vs Dafney and Deguara and lost to both.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
21 Sep 2021 13:08
Waldo wrote:
I mean I don't think that's the valid excuse for Stern. The bigger thing is he sucked. The Packers would keep him around if they felt he could contribute now and in the future but they didn't feel that way and feel others on the roster are better.

Simple as that. He wasn't competing vs Tonyan at this point. He was competing vs Dafney and Deguara and lost to both.
Did he suck? Seemed like he just never got started to me. Injuries, then a suspension...almost alot like Deguaras start who cant seem to stay available for Sundays. Im against this move. I would have given the third round pick the year.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
21 Sep 2021 12:52
Waldo wrote:
I would have cut Dafney and tried 1 more year but thats just me. Im not impressed by either but Dafney you can get on the PS. Stern probably not.
Dafney played half the snaps last night. Many as a traditional FB. I never thought it was a Sternberger vs Dafney situation. Dafney is a more polished blocker than Deguara, but those two are much closer in style. They are also getting quality ST snaps out of Dafney. Just no way you could make that flip for a developmental TE that you cannot play because he isn't good enough.

Read More. Post Less.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
21 Sep 2021 12:49
Whenever I see a talented guy like Sternberger flash, but never get consistent, I wonder if he has trouble learning the playbook.
When did he flash? Must have missed it.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Sep 2021 13:11
go pak go wrote:
Waldo wrote:

Did he suck? Seemed like he just never got started to me. Injuries, then a suspension...almost alot like Deguaras start who cant seem to stay available for Sundays. Im against this move. I would have given the third round pick the year.
I mean why else would the coaches cut him? He costs nothing. And if it's about a roster spot, there are roster spots to clear on this team (Jake Hanson) to make room.

I am thinking they cut him because he only really does one thing which is being a receiver TE but he doesn't excel in that role and the rest of his craft of blocking, H-back and STs is to be desired.

So then he finds himself outside looking in. Dominque Dafney changed the TE room. He can do everything so it makes everyone else dispensable.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
21 Sep 2021 13:13
Drj820 wrote:
21 Sep 2021 13:11
go pak go wrote:

I mean why else would the coaches cut him? He costs nothing. And if it's about a roster spot, there are roster spots to clear on this team (Jake Hanson) to make room.

I am thinking they cut him because he only really does one thing which is being a receiver TE but he doesn't excel in that role and the rest of his craft of blocking, H-back and STs is to be desired.

So then he finds himself outside looking in. Dominque Dafney changed the TE room. He can do everything so it makes everyone else dispensable.
Maybe hes just a turd

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, I think this has more to do with circumstance than Sterny being an outright bust. He has not been very good thus far, but we knew he was raw coming out when we took him, and we may have been willing to be patient with his development if we were not (1) absolutely stacked at the position; and (2) making a championship push.

Just pretend we drafted Tonyan there and that Sternberger was some raw project UDFA who never put it together. :lol: What matters is our TE position is good now.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto