Packers Waive Sternberger

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
21 Sep 2021 13:17
Yeah, I think this has more to do with circumstance than Sterny being an outright bust. He has not been very good thus far, but we knew he was raw coming out when we took him, and we may have been willing to be patient with his development if we were not (1) absolutely stacked at the position; and (2) making a championship push.

Just pretend we drafted Tonyan there and that Sternberger was some raw project UDFA who never put it together. :lol: What matters is our TE position is good now.
I agree with you but two things...1) it becomes not good quick if bobby doesnt resign and 2) if 6 teams are interested in Stern, why didnt we trade him for a 6th round picK?
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
Just pretend we drafted Tonyan there and that Sternberger was some raw project UDFA who never put it together. What matters is our TE position is good now.
Absolutely, this. It's not like this is a common occurrence, either. Draft busts hurt because you usually don't have an answer at a position when you bust a pick. Here, we spent a 3rd and we're all good. I won't lose sleep over this one.

Read More. Post Less.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Labrev wrote:
Yeah, I think this has more to do with circumstance than Sterny being an outright bust. He has not been very good thus far, but we knew he was raw coming out when we took him, and we may have been willing to be patient with his development if we were not (1) absolutely stacked at the position; and (2) making a championship push.

Just pretend we drafted Tonyan there and that Sternberger was some raw project UDFA who never put it together. :lol: What matters is our TE position is good now.
Just pretend we drafted a starter that you expect to get in the third round. Tonyan's unexpected success has nothing to do with the failed pick. As lupe said the bad picks are stacking up for Gute at a time that is unacceptable.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Is MVS the only viable player on the team drafted by Gutey after the second round??

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Sep 2021 13:20
Labrev wrote:

I agree with you but two things...1) it becomes not good quick if bobby doesnt resign and 2) if 6 teams are interested in Stern, why didnt we trade him for a 6th round picK?
Interest doesn't mean teams are willing to give something up to get him. If they can get him great, if not, oh well.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Sep 2021 13:42
Is MVS the only viable player on the team drafted by Gutey after the second round??
Still guys with shots to be viable or becoming that already...
Hunter Bradley
Ty Summers
Keke
Vernon Scott
Runyan
Martin
Deguara
obviously everyone from the last draft.

But yes, early returns aren't great.
RIP JustJeff

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Realist wrote:
21 Sep 2021 13:36
Just pretend we drafted a starter that you expect to get in the third round. Tonyan's unexpected success has nothing to do with the failed pick. As lupe said the bad picks are stacking up for Gute at a time that is unacceptable.
Tonyan's success has everything to do with the failed pick. Stern never really got much of a chance. He'd either get get dinged or Tonyan was there taking all the valuable snaps and reps. He was just flat beat out by Tonyan.

Backup TE is not a roster safe spot. I'm sure GB would love to have him back on the practice squad. But at this point GB can certainly commit to Tonyan being their guy over Stern, Stern would never seriously challenge for playing time.

Was Stern a failed pick? Sure, but that's because Bobby took his job. A lesser player than Tonyan and there would still be hope of a competition in coaches minds, and maybe Stern would have gotten the snaps and reps to be a decent TE right now. But not better than Tonyan. :aok:

I'll take the Stern bad pick because of the UDFA that wouldn't let some draft pick take his job.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Sep 2021 13:20
Labrev wrote:

I bet GB would have had to activate him (thus cut someone else) before they could trade him.
Last edited by Waldo on 21 Sep 2021 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
21 Sep 2021 13:48
Drj820 wrote:
Hunter Bradley
Ty Summers
Keke
Vernon Scott
Runyan
Martin
Deguara

so currently, no.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Why wouldn't Runyan be considered viable? Why wouldn't Deguara be considered viable? Why wouldn't Keke be considered viable? Are we ignoring undrafted free agents?

Not a large sample size for a status that generally takes longer to develop.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Hunter Bradley
Ty Summers
Keke
Vernon Scott
Runyan
Martin
Deguara

Early returns from this draft are pretty good though.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Sep 2021 14:00
paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Hunter Bradley
Ty Summers
Keke
Vernon Scott
Runyan
Martin
Deguara

so currently, no.
Bradley doing well this year and has been a starter.
Summers is a fixture on ST, what else do you want for a 7th rounder?
Runyan, started last night, played really well and may start from here on out.
Scott, another ST fixture right now, and again 7th rounder.
Martin is solid already and playing a decent amount of snaps.

Maybe you meant another word other than viable, but I'd say all these guys easily meet that description and more.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Waldo wrote:
21 Sep 2021 14:10
paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Hunter Bradley
Ty Summers
Keke
Vernon Scott
Runyan
Martin
Deguara

Indeed, Stokes and Myers are obvious. Already have a starter from the 4th round. Slaton deserves more snaps. Kylin Hill already showing something as a returner.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
21 Sep 2021 14:16
Waldo wrote:
21 Sep 2021 14:10
paco wrote:

Hunter Bradley
Ty Summers
Keke
Vernon Scott
Runyan
Martin
Deguara

Indeed, Stokes and Myers are obvious. Already have a starter from the 4th round. Slaton deserves more snaps. Kylin Hill already showing something as a returner.
Even McDuffie was contributing on ST last night. Seems the guy many were most excited about has been the quietest, so far.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Hunter Bradley
Ty Summers
Keke
Vernon Scott
Runyan
Martin
Deguara

so currently, no.
Our starting RG is a 4th round pick. I think Kylin Hill has real promise. I don't know about Amari Rodgers yet. I think I'm more skeptical of him than most. I hate how he returns punts.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
21 Sep 2021 14:14
Drj820 wrote:
paco wrote:

Hunter Bradley
Ty Summers
Keke
Vernon Scott
Runyan
Martin
Deguara

so currently, no.

Maybe you meant another word other than viable, but I'd say all these guys easily meet that description and more.
true. Viable was not the most accurate term.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
21 Sep 2021 14:18
Drj820 wrote:
paco wrote:

Hunter Bradley
Ty Summers
Keke
Vernon Scott
Runyan
Martin
Deguara

so currently, no.
Our starting RG is a 4th round pick. I think Kylin Hill has real promise. I don't know about Amari Rodgers yet. I think I'm more skeptical of him than most. I hate how he returns punts.
I'm with you on Rodgers. Rodgers is too hesitant so far. I'd like to see them give Hill a shot there. I know its a different beast, but give him a go. I still think Rodgers has a solid future with the team. But I was one of the few that thought he'd have little to no impact this year, especially on offense.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Sep 2021 14:27
paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

so currently, no.

Its all good. I understand the premise. We haven't done great. Seems we should stay out of the 3rd round altogether! But, I think Gutey has enough hits so far to make it ok. I'd like to analyze all other GM's over the same span and see where he sits compared to others. But I don't have the patience to go through all that.

Anyway, to go back on topic, I still hope we find a way to keep Jace. But I do think a couple of teams may claim him. Or he'll choose another practice squad to go to.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
21 Sep 2021 14:30
Drj820 wrote:
paco wrote:

Its all good. I understand the premise. We haven't done great. Seems we should stay out of the 3rd round altogether! But, I think Gutey has enough hits so far to make it ok. I'd like to analyze all other GM's over the same span and see where he sits compared to others. But I don't have the patience to go through all that.

Anyway, to go back on topic, I still hope we find a way to keep Jace. But I do think a couple of teams may claim him. Or he'll choose another practice squad to go to.
To me Gute's legacy is built on his 2019 draft picks (Gary and Savage) and 2020 picks (Love and Dillon). If even half of Gary, Savage, Dillon and Stokes rises to being a legit contributer/star on this 2021 Packers team, I would call Gute a success contingent on Love. If 3 or more turn into stars, I would call Gute a success depsite Love's outlook.

None of those players though have reached star mode yet. Savage is the closest. But has a ways to go.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
21 Sep 2021 14:34
paco wrote:
21 Sep 2021 14:30
Drj820 wrote:

To me Gute's legacy is built on his 2019 draft picks (Gary and Savage) and 2020 picks (Love and Dillon). If even half of Gary, Savage, Dillon and Stokes rises to being a legit contributer/star on this 2021 Packers team, I would call Gute a success contingent on Love. If 3 or more turn into stars, I would call Gute a success depsite Love's outlook.

None of those players though have reached star mode yet. Savage is the closest. But has a ways to go.
So you expect nothing from 3-7 ever in the draft? I would like a few quality starters found in those rounds over time. Might have found it this draft with the guards.