Analyze QB Jordan Love 1(26) yourself

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
24 Apr 2020 14:18
I'm not good at projecting QBs, but it just occurred to me that Brian Brohm was the last QB we've drafted high (2nd round,pick #56). Love clearly has way more talent than he did.
only between the ears :lol:

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 13:00
But we're in for an interesting couple of years. For as well as the Favre-Rodgers transition worked out in the long run, it was an absolutely terrible, divisive, crapfest to live through.
Oh man the Favre wars.

From his pick 6 in the icy NFCCG right on through his "this is not detroit man, its the super bowl" pick in the NFCCG, what an awful era. So many "fans" bailed on GB and followed Brent. Who can forget Hauschild at FF.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Waldo wrote:
24 Apr 2020 15:06
Who can forget Hauschild at FF.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’ll get there with Love.

Disappointed in not just the pick, but the 2 contractual decisions to Aaron the last 18 months.

Just seems like we are forcing ourselves into a difficult, drama filled offseason in two years. Why on earth we’d want to relive those days is beyond me.

Absolutely nothing against Love, just don’t really understand what this FO is doing.

We suck one year, so let’s go big in FA and double down on our QB. Oh, we only got to the NFC Championship game, let’s not make our team more competitive next year and start building for that 2024 championship run.

Why go so big in FA a year ago and then do this? Z, Preston, Amos, Turner, lucky if one of them is even on the roster when we are ready to compete with Love, those decisions gunna end up costing us guys like Linsley, King and/or Aaron Jones.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BYU - Those 2 INTs were baffling decisions, basically the same 2 plays and he makes the same mistake twice in what looked like 2 consecutive drives. Had 2 weird misfires after the 2nd pick. He throws very well on the run, even moving to his left. Seems to go through his progressions well for the most part, but can lock on to receivers at times. He can throw darts, but his deep balls don't look the best. Some decisions are whacky some times. 8:30 in, 3rd and goal, he rolls to his left, receiver infront of him that is covered. Defender comes off of receiver to chase Love and receiver is open. Instead, throws out the back of end zone. Middle of the 4th quarter got streaky with his accuracy. Last INT he got crunched and it affected the throw. He seems to have good pocket presence.

Will continue to watch and comment by game.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I gotta say, I wasn't crazy about the pick (duh, made that obvious) and felt justified after watching the LSU film. Love threw what I viewed as a lot of poor decision, contested balls into tight coverage. Once I delved into the BYU and MSU tape, though, it became apparent he didn't have much choice. His receivers didn't offer him much in the way of easy options. I have since softened my stance on his decision making. Don't get me wrong, he still made some poor decisions - especially throwing into zone coverage over the middle of the field - but it wasn't as bad as my first impression made him out to be.

As for the arm talent, I will say I came away impressed. Dude can sling it. Yeah, there were a few that got away from him but whatev. I did note some short screen passes that gave him difficulty, seemed to rush some of those. Fixable. The talent, though, and the ease with which he is able to deliver the ball is impressive.

I'm still not thrilled with the pick but my disappointment has subsided somewhat. The kid has talent that was hard to take a pass on. I get it. Really wish this move would've happened two years from now, tho.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

BF004 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 15:11

Disappointed in not just the pick, but the 2 contractual decisions to Aaron the last 18 months.

Just seems like we are forcing ourselves into a difficult, drama filled offseason in two years. Why on earth we’d want to relive those days is beyond me.

Absolutely nothing against Love, just don’t really understand what this FO is doing.

We suck one year, so let’s go big in FA and double down on our QB. Oh, we only got to the NFC Championship game, let’s not make our team more competitive next year and start building for that 2024 championship run.

Why go so big in FA a year ago and then do this? Z, Preston, Amos, Turner, lucky if one of them is even on the roster when we are ready to compete with Love, those decisions gunna end up costing us guys like Linsley, King and/or Aaron Jones.
Please, do get there - I'd love to hear what you see with Love on film.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Yoop wrote:
24 Apr 2020 15:03
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
I'm not good at projecting QBs, but it just occurred to me that Brian Brohm was the last QB we've drafted high (2nd round,pick #56). Love clearly has way more talent than he did.
Let's hope Love doesn't suffer from sweaty hands, and actually listens to his coaches :mrgreen:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
24 Apr 2020 15:27
Yoop wrote:
24 Apr 2020 15:03
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Let's hope Love doesn't suffer from sweaty hands, and actually listens to his coaches :mrgreen:

ya, I think there two different players, Brohm was never able to wrench the silver spoon outta his Butt, and Loves never had one
seems if memory serves Brohm wanted us to hire his brother to be his personal coach, never quite weened off the family tet :lol:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

i will post about Love the player once i can do it with a level head. That should probably be next week sometime. I havent exactly watched much of him with my own eyes. My issue is much more how we used the pick, when i think a qb like Love will be available for years to come, and i think we are in a shrinking window with the guy we gave a massive extension to. I either wanted to get that QB Queen or a stud on offense. All of it chaps me.

But i do have questions about Love the player, they include: Why a small school and not a power 5 school for him? Why 17 ints last season? Why did peter king not expect him to get drafted on day one? Why was he so low on so many boards? How would he look against tough competition week to week? How bad were the teammates around him?

All things i hope to get answered eventually.

For now I feel we are paying the QB a ton, and he needs a team around him. Why not push the envelope and go all in to load up on talent while we still have him? etc. Its less about the player than it is two years in a row using high picks on guys that arent contributing to the window of now. I will get to the player soon, as of now i am unsure of him.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Honestly, he looks legit. Great arm, can thread the needle, trusts his receivers. I bet he'd be lots of fun to watch. Or at least a lot more fun than rollout, run to the sideline, ignore open receivers, throw out of bounds.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 16:34
i will post about Love the player once i can do it with a level head. That should probably be next week sometime. I havent exactly watched much of him with my own eyes. My issue is much more how we used the pick, when i think a qb like Love will be available for years to come, and i think we are in a shrinking window with the guy we gave a massive extension to. I either wanted to get that QB Queen or a stud on offense. All of it chaps me.

But i do have questions about Love the player, they include: Why a small school and not a power 5 school for him? Why 17 ints last season? Why did peter king not expect him to get drafted on day one? Why was he so low on so many boards? How would he look against tough competition week to week? How bad were the teammates around him?

All things i hope to get answered eventually.

For now I feel we are paying the QB a ton, and he needs a team around him. Why not push the envelope and go all in to load up on talent while we still have him? etc. Its less about the player than it is two years in a row using high picks on guys that arent contributing to the window of now. I will get to the player soon, as of now i am unsure of him.
all logical questions, yet people defend Love because of the same issues they condemn Rodgers over, he had a new scheme, raw low floor receivers, forced him to extend plays and throw into tight coverage, damn hypocrites :lol:

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

FWIW (I think it's pretty important)

https://kslsports.com/432712/report-uta ... draft-qbs/

2020 Quarterback Wonderlic Scores
Here are the Wonderlic scores of the college quarterback prospects tested:

Nate Stanley (Iowa): 40
Jake Fromm (Georgia): 35
Joe Burrow (LSU): 34
Jake Luton (Oregon State): 29
Jordan Love (Utah State): 27
Justin Herbert (Oregon): 25
Anthony Gordon (Washington State): 25
Brian Lewerke (Michigan State): 25
Jacob Eason (Washington): 23
James Morgan (Florida International): 23
Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma): 18
Tua Tagovailoa (Alabama): 13

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Waldo wrote:
Who can forget Hauschild at FF.
I pretty much had until you mentioned his name. Ugh.

Still not many comments in this thread. Plenty willing to comment blindly, but no one willing to spend 5 minutes watching him actually play football and then commenting?

Read More. Post Less.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Waldo wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
But we're in for an interesting couple of years. For as well as the Favre-Rodgers transition worked out in the long run, it was an absolutely terrible, divisive, crapfest to live through.
Oh man the Favre wars.

From his pick 6 in the icy NFCCG right on through his "this is not detroit man, its the super bowl" pick in the NFCCG, what an awful era. So many "fans" bailed on GB and followed Brent. Who can forget Hauschild at FF.
Did this Hauschild guy turn his back on the Packers and become a Jets/Vikings fan?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 15:11

I find it very believable that Gute thinking, "This is my 'drafting Aaron Rodgers'-moment (~hyuck)!" was more than a small part of the thinking behind this pick.

The problem with that, of course, is that the situation and draft prospect are not similar to the situation and draft prospect of then. To only commonalities between our 2005 draft and this one are superficial.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

With high quality professional football coaching Jordan Love will be just fine as the next great Packers quarterback (I hope). He has all of the physical tools including an NFL throwing arm, mobilty and height. His attitude seems fine. However in some ways I wish he was a bit more reckless (I mean improvising), but this can come easily with enough coaching and NFL reps.

Glad to see the Packers start to turn the page with the pounder back Dillon, the athletic TE, and the 2 Big Ten offensive linemen and the Minnesota Gopher defensive captain linebacker. No championship games since 2010 is what it is. I blame the previous administration for the painful meltdowns that we try to forget but can't forget. I do not blame Aaron Rodgers. He came back from some very tough injuries. Its not just the offense and defense, the 2019 Packers Special Teams were terrible so don't think MLF and Gutey aren't aware either. Think of Dillon-Jones and the reworked offensive line as the new beginning on offense. We were 14-4 last season with a fairly weak schedule ........... things should definitely get even better assuming we have a 2020 NFL season. Go PACK!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
27 Apr 2020 20:05
With high quality professional football coaching Jordan Love will be just fine as the next great Packers quarterback (I hope). He has all of the physical tools including an NFL throwing arm, mobilty and height. His attitude seems fine. However in some ways I wish he was a bit more reckless (I mean improvising), but this can come easily with enough coaching and NFL reps.

Glad to see the Packers start to turn the page with the pounder back Dillon, the athletic TE, and the 2 Big Ten offensive linemen and the Minnesota Gopher defensive captain linebacker. No championship games since 2010 is what it is. I blame the previous administration for the painful meltdowns that we try to forget but can't forget. I do not blame Aaron Rodgers. He came back from some very tough injuries. Its not just the offense and defense, the 2019 Packers Special Teams were terrible so don't think MLF and Gutey aren't aware either. Think of Dillon-Jones and the reworked offensive line as the new beginning on offense. We were 14-4 last season with a fairly weak schedule ........... things should definitely get even better assuming we have a 2020 NFL season. Go PACK!
Woah.

Who are you and what did you do with Ringo? This post made way too much sense. Nice post. :aok:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Watched the Wake Forest tape.

Few things:

The guy definitely has arm talent. His spirals are tight. His strength is great and he makes throwing look easy. Something rare from a college QB. I mean his balls look way prettier than #8's balls at Cal Berkley in 2004.

The guy is able to throw balls with various arm motions which may be good or may be bad. He did some necessary side arming that were simply money.

He moves around really well. I think Rodgers was also able to move around really well though until 2018.

He reads fast. It's rare to see a college quarterback scan the whole field. You usually see them scan half the field and just throw after two reads. But there were a number of times you would see 3 reads or more. He also seems to have a good time clock meaning after 3 reads...he was going to his check down.

The con is he reads fast. He throws balls that shouldn't be thrown and doesn't put the ball only where his guy can get it. Rodgers is so good at that.

Definitely has some accuracy issues on gimme screen plays to RBs and out routes. His 5 yard out routes really gave him issues when throwing against his body.

I continue to be shocked at how strong he stands and stays in the pocket. I just always think of him as a mobile quarterback but he is most definitely a pocket quarterback which at this stage I super appreciate. He can create more when the game slows down.

Definitely plays in the system. His balls are out so fast. It's so weird seeing how quick that ball is out. His either INTs or near INTs were largely due because the ball came out the first read and he didn't recognize the defense was baiting. I would actually say 1 INT was due to a poor throw (corner fade in the endzone (5 yard pass), a poor decision over the middle of the field that was dropped (so Favre-esque...honestly we see it from Rodgers too when he dares throw over the middle of the field) and a quick read throw on a curl route (this needs to stop). Those are pick 6 so many times.

I am surprised in this game how ineffective he is with his mobility. Not necessarily to generate more passing time, he is actually quite good at that, but I've heard he models his game after Mike Vick. There ain't no Mike Vick running from this guy in this game. He is a passer first without question.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

British wrote:
27 Apr 2020 19:15
Waldo wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
Oh man the Favre wars.

Did this Hauschild guy turn his back on the Packers and become a Jets/Vikings fan?
Yes, he was basically the Yoop of FF back in the day. Bailed on the Pack and became a Jets fan (never showed his face on the Vikes board, at least under his Haus acct, but he also never came back to GB). But he was opinionated and obtuse and was chairman of the Favre on a pedestal club, hated everything about TT and Murphy.