Joe Barry reportedly to be hired as DC

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Run defense is a product of philosophy more that personnel in the NFL.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

good stuff in this article on Staley's defenses, what Corey Linsley thought about playing against those defenses - and why Staley was so hot- to- trot in getting Linsley to play for the Chargers. It also offers us some hints why MLF wanted a Fangio/Staley influenced DC.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/san-die ... 6020898377

"The defense has been called dynamic, deceptive and ever-changing.
Corey Linsley offered another description for the scheme that Brandon Staley has brought to the Chargers:

“It’s a pain in the butt.”

That was the veteran center’s assessment during training camp when asked about facing Staley’s defense, something Linsley did as recently as January. Playing for Green Bay, Linsley matched up against Staley — then the Rams’ defensive coordinator — in the NFC divisional playoff round.

“You gotta be on your stuff,” Linsley said. “He brings a ton of looks. They look like the same looks and they’re not the same looks. He brings a ton of blitzes and twists. You gotta keep your head up. … This defense really makes you think.”

Not all football players are deep thinkers or quick thinkers- so one way to defeat superior athletic ability is by short circuiting their mental acuity - and it seems like that will be a big part of the Barry defenses.
IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

I am reasonably certain that if I asked the board how the Packers defense does vs opposing TE's the answers would range from miserable to horrible to outright sucking. However...

"The Packers were one of the top teams against opposing tight ends last season:
Ranking sixth in receptions, seventh in yards and seventh in receiving touchdowns."
IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Rodgers on Savage in the new defense

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/0 ... w-defense/

“I think certain guys might see more opportunities than maybe they have in the past. One guy in particular Darnell Savage, I think has had a fantastic camp,” Rodgers told Larry McCarren of the team’s official site. “I think this defense really fits him. He’s able to be a lot more rangier. You look at his skill set, extremely athletic and fast, can cover sideline to sideline, but he’s got good instincts as well. So I think this is going to allow him to be in a position to make a lot more plays.”

In the interview, Larry McCarren notes that Rodgers has seen more of Barry's defense than anybody else...so its really cool to hear the comments on Savage.

IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
23 Sep 2021 11:38
Dang, now if only they could be put in the right position to defend passes more often

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Sep 2021 11:41
Dang, now if only they could be put in the right position to defend passes more often
They probably are... for the first 2 seconds of the play.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Jaire has seemed fine.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
23 Sep 2021 11:50
YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Sep 2021 11:41
They probably are... for the first 2 seconds of the play.
good response, with pressure, we are a top 10 secondary, and have been the last two seasons

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

In his presser today he defended King over and over and f'n over. Quit trying to convince yourself he can play. What does he have on the org??? He might be the coolest dude on earth but dang lets keep him off the field as much as possible

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I actually had this same thought. It seemed like Pettine just kind of did his own thing, even when LaFleur did not like his calls and wanted changes, whereas Barry made the changes LaFleur wanted. That seems significant; I feel like LaFleur has some vision/preferences for what the defense should look like and is not totally hands-off on D. Maybe that's part of the reason he hired him.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
23 Sep 2021 18:12
In his presser today he defended King over and over and f'n over. Quit trying to convince yourself he can play. What does he have on the org??? He might be the coolest dude on earth but dang lets keep him off the field as much as possible
Some people refuse to pay attention. Hell this board didnt want to listen to me about King until 3 games ago.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
23 Sep 2021 19:28
Backthepack4ever wrote:
Some people refuse to pay attention. Hell this board didnt want to listen to me about King until 3 games ago.
I still don't. He was inconsistent but making plays. Always want more consistency, but you could kind of live with it. There was some good there to hang your hat on. 5 picks and 15 PD in 2019. Now, he is more consistent. Consistently bad.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
24 Sep 2021 08:44
lupedafiasco wrote:
Backthepack4ever wrote:
I still don't. He was inconsistent but making plays. Always want more consistency, but you could kind of live with it. There was some good there to hang your hat on. 5 picks and 15 PD in 2019. Now, he is more consistent. Consistently bad.
King had a good 2019. The defense was better for it too. Up until this year, anytime someone wanted to take a dump on King..they should just look at what the defense looks without him. Meaning, before Stokes everytime King wasnt in the game we were REALLY seeing what awful CB play looked like!

I think Barry is being apologetic for King because he knows he put him in a bad spot a few times. It is the coaches job to know players strengths and weaknesses. The DC needs to use King in a way that makes the Defense better. Moving him to inside may be the answer, not because he will be great at that spot...he probably wont!....But because I believe he is a lot better than Chandon Sullivan, who Brady intentionally Bullied all NFCCG. So maybe Stokes and Jaire on the outside, King in the nickel, and Savage and Amos at Safety is really as complete of a unit as we have had in a very long time.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Sep 2021 08:57
NCF wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

King had a good 2019. The defense was better for it too. Up until this year, anytime someone wanted to take a dump on King..they should just look at what the defense looks without him. Meaning, before Stokes everytime King wasnt in the game we were REALLY seeing what awful CB play looked like!

I think Barry is being apologetic for King because he knows he put him in a bad spot a few times. It is the coaches job to know players strengths and weaknesses. The DC needs to use King in a way that makes the Defense better. Moving him to inside may be the answer, not because he will be great at that spot...he probably wont!....But because I believe he is a lot better than Chandon Sullivan, who Brady intentionally Bullied all NFCCG. So maybe Stokes and Jaire on the outside, King in the nickel, and Savage and Amos at Safety is really as complete of a unit as we have had in a very long time.
first off Sullivan is barely starter talent in any position, we brought back Williams hoping he'd be a little better, he wasn't.

we'll use King in the slot against guys like Lazard and probably against TE's in the slot, bigger, slower type receivers, against speedy smaller quick twitch receivers we'll have to move King outside and put Alexander or Savage etc in there, or King will be exposed big time in there.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
24 Sep 2021 09:09
Drj820 wrote:
NCF wrote:

first off Sullivan is barely starter talent in any position, we brought back Williams hoping he'd be a little better, he wasn't.

we'll use King in the slot against guys like Lazard and probably against TE's in the slot, bigger, slower type receivers, against speedy smaller quick twitch receivers we'll have to move King outside and put Alexander or Savage etc in there, or King will be exposed big time in there.
Yeah hes not perfect for the spot either. But a big upgrade from our previous options in my opinion. That said, think of that play where we asked Campbell to pretty much do the impossible and cover Hockenson on the play where he scored on the pretty much unguardable pass, I would like to see less Campbell and more someone like King picking up the coverage on a play like that. King is not small.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Sep 2021 09:13
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Yeah hes not perfect for the spot either. But a big upgrade from our previous options in my opinion. That said, think of that play where we asked Campbell to pretty much do the impossible and cover Hockenson on the play where he scored on the pretty much unguardable pass, I would like to see less Campbell and more someone like King picking up the coverage on a play like that. King is not small.
Campbell played that poorly, the lber has to disrupt that route or he'll ne beaten every time, Dougherty said Stokes should have come off his man and defended that over the top.

whatever we say concerning King or Sullivan about last year has to include that our secondary was rated 9th last year, we saw both give up big plays, but over all they played pretty well, the big boney's is what we fix on though as fans

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Campbell played that poorly, the lber has to disrupt that route or he'll ne beaten every time,
No, he absolutely did not play that poorly and his coaches even confirmed that he did not..
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
24 Sep 2021 09:32
Drj820 wrote:
24 Sep 2021 09:13
Yoop wrote:

Campbell played that poorly, the lber has to disrupt that route or he'll ne beaten every time, Dougherty said Stokes should have come off his man and defended that over the top.

whatever we say concerning King or Sullivan about last year has to include that our secondary was rated 9th last year, we saw both give up big plays, but over all they played pretty well, the big boney's is what we fix on though as fans
Honestly not sure what you are arguing with me about.

I said I think King or a safety would be better equipped to cover an elite TE like Hockensen, do you disagree?

I said I dont think king will be perfect or elite in the slot, but I think he is far better than Sullivan, do you disagree?

Finally, I said Stokes, Jaire, King on inside, and Amos and Savage at safety is probably going to be the most complete secondary unit we have had in years, do you disagree?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

It is a tall order and it was a perfect throw and a perfect catch, but you gotta force him a little tighter to the sideline there. Gunna have to agree with mike here :shock: :messedup: :suicide: (I think, because I'm really quite sure what he is disagreeing with, but I agree with his comment).

Now I am not sure if Campbell is capable of doing that to a guy like Hockenson, so might be some bigger issues there in terms of personnel, play call, but there is actually a fairly big window to drop that ball in, too much green between Hock and sideline.

Even if he was supposed to have deeper help there, it wasn't particularly 'good' coverage. Again, maybe not a knock because he physically might not be able to do it to such an athletic tight end. So going forward, let's try not to put him in that situation.