Packers @ 49ers GDT 9/26/21 7:20pm CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
27 Sep 2021 16:19
I am never going to play the confident card this year.
Why?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Sep 2021 10:12
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
27 Sep 2021 10:11
Shows how little confidence LaCoach has in our defense.
Insane interpretation. You go for it on 4th and goal from the 1 because you trust your defense, not because you don't. You know that if you get 7, you're great. If you fail, your D is in position to help you out as they dig out of bad field position.
:messedup: :rotf: If I trusted my D I'd take the 3 and then kick off
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 27 Sep 2021 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Sep 2021 17:04
MLF said that after the kick return before the half, Allen Lazard went to the ST coordinator and said he wants in on KO coverage and he won't let that happen again, and thus, Lazard joined kick coverage.
Gotta love hearing that. Not a fan of Lazard but how many players, veterans at that, ask to play STs. From most veterans I’ve heard speak on the matter they hate playing kick coverage and return units because they’re the most painful.

I still don’t understand why we can’t just kick out the back of the end zone though. I don’t buy that Mason doesn’t have the leg for it. As a coach you’ve gotta see it. How many times does a team need a big return to realize we just don’t have what it takes to consistently stop returns.

That single return put the 9ers back in the game. They hadn’t scored a point until that return and it sparked their offense.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Yeah those refs were atrocious. NFL should really allow every play to be challenged and also implement some sort of instant automatic review when possible.

But, given the outcome, the cheating refs only added to the morale boost resulting from the win. So this time, it's alright.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Sep 2021 17:44
YoHoChecko wrote:
MLF said that after the kick return before the half, Allen Lazard went to the ST coordinator and said he wants in on KO coverage and he won't let that happen again, and thus, Lazard joined kick coverage.
Gotta love hearing that. Not a fan of Lazard but how many players, veterans at that, ask to play STs. From most veterans I’ve heard speak on the matter they hate playing kick coverage and return units because they’re the most painful.

I still don’t understand why we can’t just kick out the back of the end zone though. I don’t buy that Mason doesn’t have the leg for it. As a coach you’ve gotta see it. How many times does a team need a big return to realize we just don’t have what it takes to consistently stop returns.

That single return put the 9ers back in the game. They hadn’t scored a point until that return and it sparked their offense.
I still don't get the lack of love for Lazard. I know he's not the most dynamic wr out there. But he did get us started yesterday with that 42 yard catch. His only target. But lots of good blocking again. Great to hear him stepping up.

100% agree on Mason and the kicking game. He can do it. Let him do it. Maybe stopping a guy at the 20 isn't worth the risk.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
A) Love that attitude from lazard
B) He will help that unit
C) Its not like hes Davante Adams, he absolutely should have been on that unit already as just a player who does dirty work and contributes where needed.
D) Maybe some other guys in similar roles and situations as Lazard could help prevent that stuff from happening too.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Sep 2021 17:53
A) Love that attitude from lazard
B) He will help that unit
C) Its not like hes Davante Adams, he absolutely should have been on that unit already as just a player who does dirty work and contributes where needed.
D) Maybe some other guys in similar roles and situations as Lazard could help prevent that stuff from happening too.
Right? I was sorta thinking that, too. Like, "great job Lazard; but why... wasn't that already the case? How is your "dirty work" receiver not a special teamer already? Who else like that is being left off STs for some reason?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Sep 2021 17:19
go pak go wrote:
Why?
Because I am sick of getting hurt.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
27 Sep 2021 10:11
Shows how little confidence LaCoach has in our defense.
Insane interpretation. You go for it on 4th and goal from the 1 because you trust your defense, not because you don't. You know that if you get 7, you're great. If you fail, your D is in position to help you out as they dig out of bad field position.
:messedup: :rotf: If I trusted my D I'd take the 3 and then kick off to let my trustworthy D force a punt.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

go pak go wrote:
27 Sep 2021 18:40
What is love?
Oh Packers, don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
No more
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
27 Sep 2021 18:40
YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Sep 2021 17:19
go pak go wrote:
Why?
I am certaint here's a joke to be made here with a RomCom quote about how it isn't worth it if you don't risk getting hurt paired with Rodgers' use of the quote about being romantic about football, but I'm far too high to think of it myself right now.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
27 Sep 2021 19:15
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

:messedup: :rotf: If I trusted my D I'd take the 3 and then kick off to let my trustworthy D force a punt.
I don't think that call was about trust in D at all. It was larger picture strategy. A TD may have taken SF outta their game plan.

We were up 10-0 at the time. Kick a figgy, and we're still up by 2 scores. No competent team is gonna change their approach at that point.

Score a TD to go up 17-0? 3 score lead. That affects most teams. Suddenly the running game and time-consuming balanced drives start appearing much less palatable. And if you fail, still 2 score lead and a long field.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (465.86 KiB) Viewed 267 times

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Are we allowed to pick apart the game yet? If so, I hate that we still can't get plays in fast enough to not waste timeouts!! Shanahan runs a complex offense and they didn't have any issues with it. Maybe it's Rodgers because they same thing happened with McCarthy as coach.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

packman114 wrote:
28 Sep 2021 07:31
Are we allowed to pick apart the game yet? If so, I hate that we still can't get plays in fast enough to not waste timeouts!! Shanahan runs a complex offense and they didn't have any issues with it. Maybe it's Rodgers because they same thing happened with McCarthy as coach.
I think it's a personal issue, with each play called often requires personal changes, I think 2 of the time outs Sunday where a result of the changes taking to long, obviously Rodgers might have changed the play which could lead to that.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I think we all agree that these Niners are not the 2019 Niners. Done. Sealed. Let's move on.

Let's say that these Niners are on the cusp of fighting for a WC slot in January, maybe the 7th or 8th team in the NFC. To play a team like that in their house AND to fight off some of our team demons is never easy, even when they have a bag of injuries. To overcome what might've been the worst-officiated game in recent memory (my view) and still win is just hard to do.

We should've won by more. Didn't. Despite everything and the fact that many things we could've done better, we pulled out a great win.

This game is a building-block. It's a momentum builder. That's all. Just enjoy it for this week and the rest of September (all three days of it) and move on.

Woohoo!
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

packman114 wrote:
This game really had the three elements that generally kill our chances to win. I think the fact that we won was a testament to our run game and our defense for "most" of the game. The three no no's we got away with that could absolutely eliminate us in a playoff game were

1) special teams blunder, gave them 7 basically
2) throwing deep 3 straight times on second to last drive, allowed them to get 7 basically
3) no timeouts at end of game when we needed them, Only Offensive greatness, Crosby, and a little Luck helped us over come that.

We overcame those three goofs because we really whipped em 85% of the game in other areas. We wont be so lucky in a closer game. Hope we clean it up!

Plenty of time to clean that stuff up tho at this point in the year
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

packman114 wrote:
I'm not gonna complain on this as hard because of our inexperience at Oline, the first time being in a loud stadium in a loooong time and the fact we still actually snapped the ball with 3 or 4 seconds to go rather than take it to 0 seconds so the opposing DE's could get off the snap easily.

I don't think we waste really too many TO's because of not getting the play call in. We spent a lot of TO's on defense as they are still definitely a work in progress and also lost a bullsh*t challenge. But yes. It is something moving forward that we need to be better at conserving (TO's)
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Usually I am a proponent of taking the 5-yard delay of game penalty rather than wasting a timeout to avoid it. Timeouts are far more precious than 5 yards in most situations.

But if I recall correctly, the two second-half, non-challenge timeouts Sunday were both to avoid delay of game, one on a 3rd and short/medium that would have brought us to 3rd and long, and one inside the ten. In both situations, I consur that the timeout should be used rather than lose the yards.

But yeah, that just means in those situations the plays need to be in and called and the team to the line fast enough not to risk making that decision.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Sep 2021 08:25
Usually I am a proponent of taking the 5-yard delay of game penalty rather than wasting a timeout to avoid it. Timeouts are far more precious than 5 yards in most situations.

But if I recall correctly, the two second-half, non-challenge timeouts Sunday were both to avoid delay of game, one on a 3rd and short/medium that would have brought us to 3rd and long, and one inside the ten. In both situations, I consur that the timeout should be used rather than lose the yards.

But yeah, that just means in those situations the plays need to be in and called and the team to the line fast enough not to risk making that decision.
Nope. The Timeouts in the 2nd half were mostly used during the "cluster f*ck" period for the exception the final TO was used on the critical 3rd and 4 on our 2nd to last drive that would have ended the game if successful.

1st timeout used was on the challenge
2nd timeout used on the play after Davante Adams got mauled and Rodgers just bombed it to MVS and started to panic (this may have also been used to let Adams back in the game?)
3rd timeout was used on the Rodgers throw to Adams on the fade with Mosely in coverage that ended in incomplete.

It's tough for me to blame those on clock management. One of them tried to get used on clock management but Rodgers didn't signal the TO in time and we got the 5 yard penalty. (was that on the MVS TD?)

I don't hate the 3rd TO being used either as I think they did it to see what the defense lined up as. I mean if you make that play, you likely end the game. Though I will say I thought the fade was a bad play there. Just get the 5 yards to Davante instead and use your next three downs for a TD. You keep the TO. You keep the clock moving and you get another three shots at the EZ.
Yoop wrote: