What are you listening to..?

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

salmar80 wrote:
11 Sep 2021 06:14
You know when Spotify serves you only middling metal for weeks and then decides to crap all the good stuff out...

OK, ladies... Hold on! :shock: :jam:

A melody for ages and a song to match with the weirdest song structure and also with a KEYTAR!

When did we lose that rage?

English translation for "Che Guevara" below:

The floor of the gym hall
Was sticky and full of
Dance and strange boundaries

From your daddy's cupboard
You'd stolen a bottle
Of mint liquor and some coins

And when we kissed I believed in
Victory or death

Tell your husband to dress up as Che Guevara
When you fall on the bed, now
For a moment would it bring that danger
That twisted our stomachs back then
When we painted our eyes black
At the smoking corner we rebelled
Raged against that machine

To your three-room apartment
They bring salt and some bread (A Finnish tradition for guests to bring salt and bread to a young pair moving together, wishing for a lasting union.)
I’m sulking in the corner
Waiting to get drunk

Your hubby's bringing you
A glass of wine and some water
It is all so sweet that
It makes me sick

And when you kiss
I want to be somewhere else or someone else

Tell your husband to dress up as Che Guevara
When you fall on the bed, now
For a moment would it bring that danger
That twisted our stomachs back then
When we painted our eyes black
At the smoking corner we rebelled
Raged against that machine
That first band I bet is a blast to watch live

Love a keytar! Sonata Arctica probably the first band I was conscious of having one.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

salmar80 wrote:
11 Sep 2021 08:05
Trudge wrote:
23 Jun 2021 15:30
Here's a band that just came out via Sweden, I think, that amazingly sound just like Korn.
There may be a Finland vs Sweden competition going on in the category of "who sounds most like early 2000st bands most of us would love to forget about"...

Finland's latest entry is very bad, but catchy.

Hard for Finland metal to go wrong. But I heard this a week or so ago and was "meh" on it.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
11 Sep 2021 11:24
Been listening to a ton of Jimmy Buffett lately. Definitely a bucket list concert I have to get to.

If I'm ever at a jimmy buffet concert, I'll know I'm finally in hell.
RIP JustJeff

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

salmar80 wrote:
11 Sep 2021 08:05
Trudge wrote:
23 Jun 2021 15:30
Here's a band that just came out via Sweden, I think, that amazingly sound just like Korn.
There may be a Finland vs Sweden competition going on in the category of "who sounds most like early 2000st bands most of us would love to forget about"...

Finland's latest entry is very bad, but catchy.

That's not too bad, he goes in like...3 different paths though. :lol:
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Didn't realize Cindy Lou Who grew up to have such a good voice.
RIP JustJeff

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

They put on a pretty &%$@ show though. Saw them first at Rock Fest were it looked they have 25 minutes for a 45 minute show. Saw them again at Northern Invasion and was just as bad.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
13 Sep 2021 13:54
Didn't realize Cindy Lou Who grew up to have such a good voice....
Enjoyed that. She does have a good voice...and is pretty hot.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Ya just can’t go wrong

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Swallow the Sun is going to be in Madison in December. 3rd try at a tour in the US. Hoping this one sticks. Think I'll go. Will be playing stuff from the new album.
RIP JustJeff

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

paco wrote:
28 Sep 2021 12:15
Swallow the Sun is going to be in Madison in December. 3rd try at a tour in the US. Hoping this one sticks. Think I'll go. Will be playing stuff from the new album.
Thanks for the post.. I just listened to 6-7 of their songs while on vacation and I’m going to have to give their full catalogue a listen when I get back home. Might have to buy tickets to their show in Madison… strong Opeth vibes.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Gunzaan wrote:
28 Sep 2021 16:41
paco wrote:
Thanks for the post.. I just listened to 6-7 of their songs while on vacation and I’m going to have to give their full catalogue a listen when I get back home. Might have to buy tickets to their show in Madison… strong Opeth vibes.
I'm a fan of basically anything Finnish(metal). Some of the best Melo-death/Death-Doom out there. Been a fan of this band a long time.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

paco wrote:
28 Sep 2021 22:32
Gunzaan wrote:
28 Sep 2021 16:41
paco wrote:
I'm a fan of basically anything Finnish(metal). Some of the best Melo-death/Death-Doom out there. Been a fan of this band a long time.
That....is a $%@# fine song.

It's weird, but Finns can do weird things, like ask: Instead of the Squid game, have you ever played the game of Squash?

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

In a TV world filled with music competitions, of which Finland has had our share with the Voice, the Masked Singer and all the other popular formats, the Finnish TV has managed to put out two music TV programs that really stand out with their idea, tone and concept.

They differ by not being serious competitions, rather vehicles to share an appreciation of music, and a testament to what music can mean to different people. Do you have anything like these, 'cause I'd prefer it vastly to the stale competitions.

One is called SuomiLOVE (FinnishLOVE). The concept is that you can send an ask to the producers to arrange a surprise live performance of a song by the original artists (or if they're not available, the next best thing) for a person you love. And tell the tale why this particular song is a show of love for that person. Sometimes the surprise is done on site, but there's also a live show and sometimes a member of the live audience gets surprised. Here's an example, tho since the Finnish Broadcasting Company likes to keep the rights in house, it's through a reaction video.

The second one is called Elämäni Biisi (The Song of My Life). The idea is to have 5 musician guests submit the most important songs that have influenced them in life, and have the others guess from live cover performances by an awesome band with superb guests, which is the song of whose life. What sets this apart is that they really can choose ANY songs. Not just off a list provided by music companies. So you get ANYTHING from classical music to pop to metal to children's songs. But since they are all songs important to talented people, there are rarely any bad ones, regardless of genre. All songs are played their without time limitations. No commercial breaks. And in the end, the participants get to tell the tale of why the song was the song of their life. Makes it easy to appreciate those forms of music I don't usually personally gravitate towards.

Here's an old song in Finnish about Maija, a woman who lives quite a stormy life as a guardian of a lighthouse through youth, love, good times, war and loss... You don't need the lyrics, really.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

My nerdiest thing ever. With a story.

In Finland, Donald Duck comics somehow managed to gain a foothold as a teaching tool for little kids learning to read from the 1960s onwards. Folks found out that kids often learned to read on their own, just by browsing through the comics, looking at the little short dialogue boxes supported by the images and familiar characters. The day I was born in 1980, my grandpa subscribed to the Donald Duck comics, just so I'd have enough to read in a few years. Eventually, I had a pile of them.

And as it happened, I did learn to read on my own as a 5-year-old, from those silly duck comics. As did Nightwish's songwriter Tuomas Holopainen.

Years later, a duck artist named Don Rosa decided to do something completely different: To build an actual, mature, character out of one of Disney's silly characters: A thrifty, old, world's wealthiest duck Scrooge McDuck. So he wrote and drew the award-winning Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. It's utterly fantastic.

And now, Tuomas Holopainen decided to spend his time to honor a Disney artist who created some of Tuomas' childhood's best memories.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

salmar80 wrote:
03 Dec 2021 13:02
My nerdiest thing ever. With a story.

In Finland, Donald Duck comics somehow managed to gain a foothold as a teaching tool for little kids learning to read from the 1960s onwards. Folks found out that kids often learned to read on their own, just by browsing through the comics, looking at the little short dialogue boxes supported by the images and familiar characters. The day I was born in 1980, my grandpa subscribed to the Donald Duck comics, just so I'd have enough to read in a few years. Eventually, I had a pile of them.

And as it happened, I did learn to read on my own as a 5-year-old, from those silly duck comics. As did Nightwish's songwriter Tuomas Holopainen.

Years later, a duck artist named Don Rosa decided to do something completely different: To build an actual, mature, character out of one of Disney's silly characters: A thrifty, old, world's wealthiest duck Scrooge McDuck. So he wrote and drew the award-winning Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. It's utterly fantastic.

And now, Tuomas Holopainen decided to spend his time to honor a Disney artist who created some of Tuomas' childhood's best memories.

I recall stories about Finnish people and their affinity for Donald Duck. Very cool story sal.

As usual, beautiful peace of music by Tuomas. Side note... I miss Marco. Hope he comes out of hiding at some point and releases some music.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Can y'all help me out?

I'm trying to compile a list of good music to help put a baby to sleep. A good friend just had his first kid, and I kinda promised him a killer playlist he could play on his phone while walking the kid, since can't sing worth a damn. The lyrics don't matter, nor do the music videos to the kid, since the baby won't understand 'em anyways. Just has to be good, soothing music, that puts the little one to sleep and maybe the parent enjoys.

Here's my playlist so far:

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

That list needs a whole lot more Tool. There are actually Tool lullaby songs out there.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Gunzaan wrote:
03 Dec 2021 20:43
That list needs a whole lot more Tool. There are actually Tool lullaby songs out there.
Check out the YouTube channel Rockabye Baby! They have tons from Metallica to Led Zepplin to Snoop Dogg.
RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

paco wrote:
Who is this?

Music is a little dark. The lyrics and sound remind me a bit of Evanescence or Within Temptation.

Yeah, she's hot.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

wallyuwl wrote:
05 Dec 2021 22:26
paco wrote:
Who is this?

Music is a little dark. The lyrics and sound remind me a bit of Evanescence or Within Temptation.

Yeah, she's hot.
The Pretty Wreckless...Taylor Momson.