Packers @ 49ers GDT 9/26/21 7:20pm CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Sep 2021 08:51
go pak go wrote:
28 Sep 2021 08:36
1st timeout used was on the challenge
2nd timeout used on the play after Davante Adams got mauled and Rodgers just bombed it to MVS and started to panic (this may have also been used to let Adams back in the game?)
3rd timeout was used on the Rodgers throw to Adams on the fade with Mosely in coverage that ended in incomplete.
Ah, so it was a 3rd and 10 to avoid a 3rd and 15.

And the Adams fade was red zone 3rd down, not inside the ten.

At least one, though, was as the clock was expiring; you're right, though, that I was thinking of the delay that got called when Rodgers failed to get the TO in time as one of them. They still were both used on 3rd downs, though.
My point about the TOs were not specific to this game but they are something that I feel has been an issue for years with our team. SF has a similar offense but they never seemed in danger of the play clock running out. We harped on it with McCarthy and now it is still happening. The only constant is Rodgers so maybe it's him using the play clock to get a feel for the defense. I don't recall very many 2nd halves where we have 3 TOs in the last 4 minutes of the game.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

packman114 wrote:
28 Sep 2021 16:10
YoHoChecko wrote:
go pak go wrote:
2nd timeout used on the play after Davante Adams got mauled and Rodgers just bombed it to MVS and started to panic (this may have also been used to let Adams back in the game?)
3rd timeout was used on the Rodgers throw to Adams on the fade with Mosely in coverage that ended in incomplete.

At least one, though, was as the clock was expiring; you're right, though, that I was thinking of the delay that got called when Rodgers failed to get the TO in time as one of them. They still were both used on 3rd downs, though.
My point about the TOs were not specific to this game but they are something that I feel has been an issue for years with our team. SF has a similar offense but they never seemed in danger of the play clock running out. We harped on it with McCarthy and now it is still happening. The only constant is Rodgers so maybe it's him using the play clock to get a feel for the defense. I don't recall very many 2nd halves where we have 3 TOs in the last 4 minutes of the game.
Yeah it's absolutely a problem. And likely a Rodgers problem. Often the play call doesn't get in until 15 seconds on the play clock and now that this is two coaches in a row this is happening to and both say "it's important to get the play in early" tells me maybe it is more of a Rodgers thing.

My expectations have dropped so much on this that I was just happy the ball wasn't snapped with 0 seconds left to let Bosa know when the snap is coming like we have seen for the last 10 years.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Memory is a flawed tool, so I may be wrong but I do remember in 2019 being relieved at the vast improvement in wasted timeouts from MM to MLF. So the fact that it’s re-emerging does make me feel like it’s a “the consistent variable here is Rodgers” type of deal, and that MLF either tried to clean it up or at least is just a touch better at game management so it doesn’t happen as often.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Sep 2021 18:25
Memory is a flawed tool, so I may be wrong but I do remember in 2019 being relieved at the vast improvement in wasted timeouts from MM to MLF. So the fact that it’s re-emerging does make me feel like it’s a “the consistent variable here is Rodgers” type of deal, and that MLF either tried to clean it up or at least is just a touch better at game management so it doesn’t happen as often.
Its definitely on Rodgers but it also comes with aspects like Rodgers not turning the ball over. The guy wants things right and is more than happy to burn time outs because he wants to ensure that he doesn't miss scoring opportunities.

I would probably rather have the time outs but I don't expect it to change. It comes with Rodgers being extremely confident and a perfectionist.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Tonyan had some great chips throughout the night. No stats but he was impactful.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

packman114 wrote:
28 Sep 2021 16:10
YoHoChecko wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I think thats it Packman, Rodgers has a variation of plays he can use depending what the defense sets up to stop, it's a guessing game till the D shows that to Rodgers, and he waits as long as he can till they expose that, then he calls out the play, sometimes to late, DC's know this with Rodgers, so they try and delay there intentions as long as possible, same as they do against other QB's, just my impression anyway.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
ehh, my memory could also be flawed but I think we were pretty unhappy with the situation in 2019 too and gave the "ah well first year in the system" excuse. Im pretty sure it improved in 2020, but was a problem in '19.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
29 Sep 2021 07:32
YoHoChecko wrote:
ehh, my memory could also be flawed but I think we were pretty unhappy with the situation in 2019 too and gave the "ah well first year in the system" excuse. Im pretty sure it improved in 2020, but was a problem in '19.
I concur.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

If you liked the Packers' quick passing game against 49ers, expect to see plenty more of it
Eric Baranczyk and Pete DoughertyPackersNews

GREEN BAY - It often can take a few games, if not more, for an NFL team to find its identity.

The Green Bay Packers took a big step toward finding an identity in 2021 that could serve them well while David Bakhtiari and Elgton Jenkins recover from injuries, and even when their two best offensive linemen return.

In their 30-28 win over the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday night, the Packers gave the 49ers a big dose of a quick passing game that served a major purpose: protect a young offensive line that featured an unproven left tackle (Yosh Nijman) getting his first meaningful NFL playing time, two rookies (Josh Myers and Royce Newman) making their third NFL starts and a second-year guard (Jon Runyan) making his second NFL start.

No NFL offense can succeed running the same stuff all the time, and the Packers didn’t Sunday night. Coach Matt LaFleur and Aaron Rodgers liberally mixed in the run (25 among 59 plays), and Rodgers took his shots downfield — four total, three of which resulted in 122 yards of completions and pass-interference penalties.

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers throws a pass against the San Francisco 49ers in the first quarter Sunday.
But the quick-tempo passing game was a big reason the Packers put up 353 yards in total offense and indeed made things a little easier for the Packers’ young linemen against a strong 49ers front seven. It also got Rodgers and the offense in a good rhythm early, which suggest that even if Jenkins returns from his ankle injury this week, and even when Bakhtiari comes off PUP in another month or so, LaFleur will be well served to continue this general approach of Rodgers getting the ball out of his hands in less than 2.5 seconds, and often less than 2 seconds.

On Sunday night Rodgers’ first six throws all came out in 2.2 seconds or quicker and averaged about 1.6 seconds from snap to release. Even his first pass, a 42-yarder to Allen Lazard, was a quick throw in about 1.7 seconds. The other throws on the Packers’ first series, which resulted in a field goal, were a quick screen to Aaron Jones (2.2 seconds), a bubble screen to Marquez Valdes-Scantling (1.3 seconds) that was batted down by Nick Bosa, and a slant to Davante Adams (0.8 seconds).

The Packers’ second series likewise started with a quick out to Adams (12 yards, 1.7 seconds) and a quick checkdown to AJ Dillon (two yards, 1.8 seconds).

Even a great rush isn’t getting home on any of those plays.

All those quick-tempo throws eventually get defensive backs creeping up to take away the shorter stuff. That sets up shots downfield, which is what happened on Rodgers’ seventh throw. He had to hold the ball longer (3.4 seconds) but with time to throw and hit Valdes-Scantling over the top for 47 yards.

That was how LaFleur’s offense played most of this game, with a mix of quick throws, runs and the occasional longer-developing pass. Rodgers was sacked only once on the night, which the Packers have to consider a big accomplishment, all things considered.

Game plans don’t always work as well as LaFleur’s on Sunday night. But his effort to protect his patched-together offensive line also helped his offense find a good rhythm. That could become a core approach to keeping defenses off balance for the rest of the season.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/n ... 888946001/

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

and Rodgers took his shots downfield — four total, three of which resulted in 122 yards of completions and pass-interference penalties.
I have no idea where Eric Barenczyck is getting his quantity of downfield throws. He's not even close. I guess I am curious what his threshold is for "deep pass"

1. Allen Lazard completion (like 42 yards)
2. MVS deep shot completion (like 45 to 50 yards)
3. Davante Adams down left sideline (thought he was DPI'd)
4. Dvante Adams down right sideline (called DPI)
5. Robert Tonyan down middle of field (called DPI)
6. Davante Adams when he gets drilled
7. MVS one play later
8. Adams again down right sideline. Had him open
9. Adams down middle of field on final drive (25 yards)

So I have 9 attempts. 2 DPI and 3 completions. I also thought there was a beautiful back shoulder throw to Adams but I can't remember how long it was.
Yoop wrote:

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Captain_Ben wrote:
21 Sep 2021 14:24
If there is any franchise that understands the key to beating the Packers it is the 49ers. They know that if they play physical ball and manhandle us at the LOS, then all that sexy "finesse" that has been the hallmark of this team gets thrown out the $%@# door faster than you can say Dom Capers.

Hope we change the narrative but Barry doesn't inspire confidence.
Been real busy these past few days but am checking in for my obligatory meal of crow. Packers looked solid in the trenches, especially in that first half. Glad to have been wrong on this occasion.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BBQ breast of crow, with wild brown rice, steaming hot, :lol:

Packers K Mason Crosby named NFC Special Teams Player of the Week

we got a get rid of this very expensive kicker, any ol street FA can do this stuff :rotf:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/packers-k- ... 26055.html

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

No one has dogged Crosby since 2018...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Sep 2021 12:16
No one has dogged Crosby since 2018...
It was tough to stick with him through the yips, but since he found his way out he's been Mr Automatic.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I encourage to watch the grades. To summarize, our defensive line is terrible behind Kenny Clark. I mean terrible to the point that they are nowhere near as bad as they have ever been.

I am praying that TJ Slayton puts good film this weekend because we need someone to take snaps from Keke.

Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

An interesting take as others look like this for this game:
Credit where credit is due, this unit has taken their lumps through three games, but they were very good against San Francisco. Green Bay allowed only 3.2 yards per rush, Kenny Clark could not be stopped, and he also received some help with solid performances from Dean Lowry and Tyler Lancaster.
Paul Bretl

Keke was probably really bad, but the rest I do not believe were. Seems like a bit of confirmation bias going on on this one. We will see how they do on Sunday though.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Oct 2021 08:27
An interesting take as others look like this for this game:
Credit where credit is due, this unit has taken their lumps through three games, but they were very good against San Francisco. Green Bay allowed only 3.2 yards per rush, Kenny Clark could not be stopped, and he also received some help with solid performances from Dean Lowry and Tyler Lancaster.
Paul Bretl

Keke was probably really bad, but the rest I do not believe were. Seems like a bit of confirmation bias going on on this one. We will see how they do on Sunday though.
I agree. I did see Lowry get into multiple plays.

But I will say. I did never even saw 96. The dude has been terrible. He is the person I want to take snaps away from and I think TJ Slayton and Z Smith can do that later this season.
Yoop wrote:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

JT O'Sullivan goes through the throws of our winning drive.

Man, their coverage sucked so much... The throws to Davante were great, but they weren't only open options. On 1st play, Cobb was open for a huge gain. On 3rd one, Tonyan was heading for a massive empty space.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.