Z has Surgery - Out Indefinitely

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Z has Surgery - Out Indefinitely

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

My worst fear was realized.

It just seemed like it was bad. If I remember right he injured it "personally" in like June (thought I heard he was playing basketball?). At that time they probably hoped it would be "good enough" to get through the season.

This really, really sucks.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I mean the Packers could likely go after Z for some money right? Like this injury was not football related.

Just a super expensive guy to get nothing from.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I guess there is hope he could return yet later this season/post season.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
01 Oct 2021 16:43
I guess there is hope he could return yet later this season/post season.
Yep. I used the word indefinitely in the title in the hopeful sense that, as of now, we are not sure it is season ending.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU----- :x :x :x :x :x
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Man this hurts. I really dont see him back this season. Even if he is thats alot of time off to get back to his normal level of play

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

F
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Z doesn’t seem like the type and he seems to love the team and his teammates but with him wanting a new deal, this almost feels like a Michael Thomas situation. Like why wait till now?? I bet he heals up and gets ready for a new deal at 100% health. Doubt we see him again in green and yellow.

Could be wrong, just has those vibes. :idn:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

No need to panic. This is what you spend a 12th overall pick who has been a career backup for.

I’m all seriousness no reason to call it a season ended until it is. Could be a Vita Vea situation where we keep him out until the post season. That said Preston and Gary need to step up and fill that void for the long term. On top of that we need one of the depth guys to step into that 3rd pass rusher. I love Garvin and hope it’s him.

As far as FAs go that are out there I really wouldn’t be opposed to seeing if Aldon Smith wants to come by. He’s a crazy for sure but he’s a veteran with big game experience. Also didn’t play too poorly for the Cowboys last season considering the amount of time off. PFF had him in the mid 60s on a bad defense.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

lupedafiasco wrote:
01 Oct 2021 18:07
No need to panic. This is what you spend a 12th overall pick who has been a career backup for.

I’m all seriousness no reason to call it a season ended until it is. Could be a Vita Vea situation where we keep him out until the post season. That said Preston and Gary need to step up and fill that void for the long term. On top of that we need one of the depth guys to step into that 3rd pass rusher. I love Garvin and hope it’s him.

As far as FAs go that are out there I really wouldn’t be opposed to seeing if Aldon Smith wants to come by. He’s a crazy for sure but he’s a veteran with big game experience. Also didn’t play too poorly for the Cowboys last season considering the amount of time off. PFF had him in the mid 60s on a bad defense.
I didn't know he was available. 100% endorse signing him.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

:kaboom:

Good thing Preston is having his bi-annual good year, we have Gary who now has to prove himself in the spotlight, and Garvin has been a positive surprise.

IF it's season-ending with Z, the Packers will go after the money if possible. It's future cap space. If it's not season-ending, we'll suffer through it and have him for the playoffs.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

salmar80 wrote:
02 Oct 2021 01:45
:kaboom:

Good thing Preston is having his bi-annual good year, we have Gary who now has to prove himself in the spotlight, and Garvin has been a positive surprise.

IF it's season-ending with Z, the Packers will go after the money if possible. It's future cap space. If it's not season-ending, we'll suffer through it and have him for the playoffs.
Don’t teams usually not go after the money just to save face on the PR front? Rodgers already throwing hay makers at the org all offseason, not sure they want war with Z as other FAs hear how they came after his cookies. Just a thought.

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

Mother F. I'm hoping this isn't season ending (but not really expecting it to be) because this feels like the Bak injury from last year; we can pretend things are good but if we don't have Z in the playoffs I don't really think it's realistic to expect us to seriously contend for the SB at this point.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
02 Oct 2021 06:50
Mother F. I'm hoping this isn't season ending (but not really expecting it to be) because this feels like the Bak injury from last year; we can pretend things are good but if we don't have Z in the playoffs I don't really think it's realistic to expect us to seriously contend for the SB at this point.
I mean anytime you lose an All Pro or Blue Chipper, your team gets significantly worse. Very few teams can survive it.

Even the 2010 Packers for the all the injuries we had, we pretty much had our assortment of All Pro's/Blue Chips yet that year with Rodgers, the WRs, Collins, Woodson, Matthews, Raji, Tramon Williams.

It's just really hard to lose your All Pro's/Blue Chips because that is where your investment in your team is. hur

Like losing Z hurts a lot. Yes we have Gary and Preston, but we are seeing just how many snaps they are rolling out the Garvin/Rivers package. It is a lot and we also see no answer in the interior. That is what I was excited about for Z coming back.
Yoop wrote:

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

go pak go wrote:
02 Oct 2021 08:59
kyle.mccarroll wrote:
I mean anytime you lose an All Pro or Blue Chipper, your team gets significantly worse. Very few teams can survive it.

Even the 2010 Packers for the all the injuries we had, we pretty much had our assortment of All Pro's/Blue Chips yet that year with Rodgers, the WRs, Collins, Woodson, Matthews, Raji, Tramon Williams.

It's just really hard to lose your All Pro's/Blue Chips because that is where your investment in your team is. hur

Like losing Z hurts a lot. Yes we have Gary and Preston, but we are seeing just how many snaps they are rolling out the Garvin/Rivers package. It is a lot and we also see no answer in the interior. That is what I was excited about for Z coming back.
I hope you aren't using the loss of Z as an excuse going forward. The D has holes everywhere that Reggie would have a hard time hiding.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
Yeah; the plan should be to just ideally get him as healthy as we can going into the playoffs.

Our division looks like trash this year. We should be able to back in by default even with a few injuries. If we can’t get to like 10-5 by mid December without Z, we have bigger problems.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Realist wrote:
02 Oct 2021 11:23
go pak go wrote:
kyle.mccarroll wrote:

I hope you aren't using the loss of Z as an excuse going forward. The D has holes everywhere that Reggie would have a hard time hiding.
why anyone in this age would think a DC can hide weak positions after years now of watching OC and QB's exploit and win games by targeting weak defensive positions is mind boggling, 2010 was a anomaly, our backups that year where as good as a lot of teams starters.

Z is not a player we can replace, we've missed him up till now and will miss him going forward, imo Barry will have to keep being inventive with his rush packages, other then not having a blue chip DL to partner with Clark, and KIng being out I see no other real holes in the defense, actually imo this is the most talented defense we've had since the SB year, once we gel up a little more to what Barry is scheming it should rank top 8 or so, heck we've had a top 8 secondary the last two seasons, as long as we don't give a QB all day to throw we'll be kicking some butt.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Realist wrote:
02 Oct 2021 11:23
go pak go wrote:
kyle.mccarroll wrote:

This isn't the season for excuses.

And losing a blue chip player is never a convenient excuse. It's a legitimate reason. Teams who lose or don't get production from their best players don't win.
Yoop wrote: