Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
04 Oct 2021 08:09
Only two undefeated teams left, could be one by tonight.

And we play Arizona, so we still control our own destiny to first round bye.
And there was one.

And to the counter, two defeated teams.

Detroit and Jacksonville.

In a league of such parity, amazing how some don't change.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
05 Oct 2021 14:35
BF004 wrote:
04 Oct 2021 08:09
Only two undefeated teams left, could be one by tonight.

And we play Arizona, so we still control our own destiny to first round bye.
And there was one.

And to the counter, two defeated teams.

Detroit and Jacksonville.

In a league of such parity, amazing how some don't change.
I was thinking about this the other day.

Since 2005, (last 16 years is used because 16 teams in each conference)

AFC Champions - Tom Brady, Peyton Manning (IND & DEN), Ben Roethlisberger, Pat Mahomes, Ravens
Only 6 teams have done it. 10 teams have not done it. 5 QBs have done it.

NFC Champions - Only teams to NOT be NFC Champions - Washington, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota - only QB to be NFC Champion twice is Eli Manning and Russell Wilson. 13 QBs have done it.

The difference in parity and teams being consistently bad is so different between the NFC and AFC. The Lions and Washington are the only teams to REALLY suck all the time.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

very few college coaches do well as 1st time NFL HC's, and unless they where successful colleges coaches they don't even get the opertunity to audition for the position.

Jimmy Johnston did it prior to the 2000 run date of this article, but the writer did include comments on his first few years of struggles, it's at the end of this piece.

Urban Meyer will get a couple years, at least according to the history of this stuff.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/wha ... he-jaguars

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Wow, Jaylon Smith cut. Weird cut at this time, especially considering Cowboys have been winning.

Also, lol

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

One of Yoop's all-time man crushes. I remember Smith costing Yoop a SpongeBob "rainbows and butterflies" avatar for a time... :lol: :)

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Jaylon Smith > Oren Burks

Just sayin
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

If Campbell had not been the revelation that he has been, I would be very gung-ho on bringing Smith in, especially given how lousy our ILB situation tends to be.

As is, I don't really feel like adding an ILB even of Smith's talent will do THAT much for this defense. I would much rather save that money to sign IDL help and/or absorb the cap hit from trading for one, which I feel could give us a huge boost. In fact, I would sooner add a CB than ILB (not that I think it's much of a need).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
05 Oct 2021 22:24
One of Yoop's all-time man crushes. I remember Smith costing Yoop a SpongeBob "rainbows and butterflies" avatar for a time... :lol: :)
ohhhhh yaaaa don't remember the spongy Bob and rainbows stuff so much, but I liked Jaylon Smith, I remember he and Jacks where the top rated lbers that year, but both would likely sit out the season with acl recovery time, and because of that might drop to the end of round one or high 2nd round, I remember thinking neither would make it out of round one, but was wrong , both went in the 2nd, my consolation was that we hit with Kenny Clark in the first. :banana:

Dallas values ILB in there defensive schemes, they just took another blue chip with Parsons, and Smiths high price tag this year and next wasn't attractive in a trade, now that he's been cut some team will bring him aboard, if we didn't have Campbell I would, he went to the PB two years ago.
Last edited by Yoop on 06 Oct 2021 06:06, edited 1 time in total.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
05 Oct 2021 22:28
Jaylon Smith > Oren Burks

Just sayin
Not if he isn't trying. If the guy isn't putting in the effort, I don't want him.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Got such a good locker room right now by all appearances, not sure i wanna add anyone with motivation issues.

That being said, would be straight lying if I said I want nothing to do with him and wouldn't be incredibly excited if we added him. If I recall, he maybe a bit small for a traditional 3-4 backer, but thinking might just use him situationally where his athleticism and coverage skills can be harnessed.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Stephon Gilmore >>>>>>>> Jaylon Smith

Read More. Post Less.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BF004 wrote:
06 Oct 2021 08:41
just use him situationally where his athleticism and coverage skills can be harnessed.
Unfortunately, Jaylon can't run anymore. Have you watched him play recently ? Not sure he could crack 4.8 even with a tailwind.
And when you combine his lack of speed with his inability to diagnose plays - that's just not a winning resume

https://twitter.com/i/status/1426373050287673350

Hard pass.
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
06 Oct 2021 08:53

Well &%$@, that is one I can get behind. Regardless of King's and Jaire's health.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
We all know he is going to either be a Buc, 49er, Cardinal, Ram, Cowboy, etc.

But one could hope.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I think he isn't subject to waivers as an old enough veteran, I could be wrong.

But if not, only $7 million salary on the year.

13/17 * 7 = 5.3 million. I'm sure we could find a way to sneak in 5.3 million.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
06 Oct 2021 09:07
NCF wrote:
We all know he is going to either be a Buc, 49er, Cardinal, Ram, Cowboy, etc.

But one could hope.
I would add Bills.

Bucs probably mad they already made the play for Richard Sherman.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Weighing in on this discussion belatedly, I actually kind of like what I am seeing with Burks, and I was convinced for a while that he was a lost cause. It looks like the mental aspect of the game is finally starting to click for him. Now, he just needs to finish those plays and clean up his tackling.

I was also kinda excited for Kamal Martin but I would take Burks at this point; Burks seems further ahead. Now Ty Summers I am less jazzed about, but he is basically another Burks, so maybe he will figure it out (but like Burks, I'll believe it when I start seeing it).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
06 Oct 2021 09:07
But one could hope.
He wants $15-16M/yr and a commensurate signing bonus- which is why the Pats let him go.
OTC listed the teams that have the requisite cap space available ( unfortunately, the Packers are not one of those teams)

https://overthecap.com/who-can-afford-stephon-gilmore/
IT. IS. TIME

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
06 Oct 2021 09:16
Trading for him would essentially be the same as claiming him off waivers, from a salary stand point.

I'll believe it when I see, prolly trying to scare up some compensation from other NFC teams, but you never know, Gute's an aggressive dude.