Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
06 Oct 2021 12:12
Move along, nothing to see here. He's going to the Panthers for a 2023 6th.
are you kidding me....
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
06 Oct 2021 12:14
are you kidding me....
Panthers have $19M in cap space and with Darnold looking decent, they have the cash to spend on Gilmore
IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I better see a restructure news story on Gilmore this week.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Smh. Swing and a miss

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Love people getting so upset by something that had so little of a chance of happening. Cap wise it was going to be hard to do both now and for a future contract. Carolina is good, has money, and its close to where he is from. Makes more sense than just about any other team.
RIP JustJeff

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
06 Oct 2021 12:17
Smh. Swing and a miss
In order to swing and miss you actually have to take a hack. We take fastballs right down the middle. Same old same old. Rely on Aaron.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

paco wrote:
06 Oct 2021 12:20
Makes more sense than just about any other team.
Indeed. And agents always use the Packers as leverage- because there is no owner and the FO is tight lipped. They'll never respond to any of the comments suggesting GB is interested. At the end, Gilmore left NE because he couldn't get the $$ he wanted.
Why would any Packer fan think Gilmore could get what he wanted from cash-strapped GB ?
IT. IS. TIME

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

according to yoop ( :lol: ) 5th and 6th round picks are misses so often by GMs that when they dont hit it never crosses their mind. Yet we like our 5th and 6th round picks so much we cant donate one to the Pats for Gilmore. Makes sense! :dunno:

(just messin yoop, I knew we would not give up anything for the guy)
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
06 Oct 2021 12:29
paco wrote:
06 Oct 2021 12:20
Makes more sense than just about any other team.
Indeed. And agents always use the Packers as leverage- because there is no owner and the FO is tight lipped. They'll never respond to any of the comments suggesting GB is interested. At the end, Gilmore left NE because he couldn't get the $$ he wanted.
Why would any Packer fan think Gilmore could get what he wanted from cash-strapped GB ?
I'm gonna turn around your "you don't know comments" at this time.

At this time, we don't know if the Packers could or could not afford Gilmore. If we find out that Gilmore just plays at the $5.75 million cap hit in 2021 and then hits FA in 2022 for a monster deal, I will say that is a bad move and we should have done what we could have to gotten Gilmore in town. He would provide good play this year and get us a comp pick in 2023 to more than make up for the 6th/5th rounder we would give up.

If we find out Gilmore signs a big deal immediately and restructures with Carolina, then I will absolutely concede that there was no way we could hack it.

But right now what we know is a respected journalist said we were in the conversation and the current cap hit on Gilmore is under $6 million, which we could make work, for a 2023 6th round pick (peanuts) that we would ultimately get back plus some from the NFL comp formula.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Dont worry yall. We resigned King this offseason.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Home teams are 31-33 through the first 4 weeks. Small sample size, but crazy. Last year was the first time the home team had more losses than wins, but that was with empty stadiums.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I had this feeling.

Gilmore is 31. Guys that age are either after a ring or last big payday. Gilmore had his ring, so big payday it is. There was no way we were gonna give him that, since we already have to pay Alexander, and Stokes is looking promising.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeahhhh... I could have seen the value of adding Gilmore, but I really feel like our aggressive midseason acquisition should be for an IDL.

I think that will do more to help all areas of the defense than adding a Jaylon Smith or a Stephon Gilmore -- frees up our ILBs/OLBs to make plays, helps disrupt the QB to help the secondary, helps keep the rotation fresh.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Lol

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

Whatever, so stupid

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So we have sources who say that Gilmore wanted to play for GB.

It now looks like Gilmore will not get a new contract and play with the current one and enter FA in 2022.

And we know the trade compensation was a 2023 6th round pick

That was literally everything I was hoping for 3 hours ago for us.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
06 Oct 2021 12:31
according to yoop ( :lol: ) 5th and 6th round picks are misses so often by GMs that when they dont hit it never crosses their mind. Yet we like our 5th and 6th round picks so much we cant donate one to the Pats for Gilmore. Makes sense! :dunno:

we just don't have the molla, Gilmore will prove to the Panthers that he's healed up and worthy of a multi year deal for more then we can even hope to scronge up, and probably ink a 3 year deal prior to the end of the season

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
06 Oct 2021 14:25
Drj820 wrote:

we just don't have the molla, Gilmore will prove to the Panthers that he's healed up and worthy of a multi year deal for more then we can even hope to scronge up, and probably ink a 3 year deal prior to the end of the season
Whatever helps you sleep at night buddy

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Oh we could have made room for it for sure. When it makes sense to do it you find a way.

I don't get it. You could get a potential All Pro CB for under $6 million for a 2023 5th. Let him play for you. Ball out. Sign a big deal with a different team in the offseason and then get a 2023 3rd or 4th comp pick as a result.

Like this was the dream scenario. I seem to defend GMs more than bash them. But I don't get not pulling the trigger here.
Yoop wrote:

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

go pak go wrote:
06 Oct 2021 14:35
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Oh we could have made room for it for sure. When it makes sense to do it you find a way.

I don't get it. You could get a potential All Pro CB for under $6 million for a 2023 5th. Let him play for you. Ball out. Sign a big deal with a different team in the offseason and then get a 2023 3rd or 4th comp pick as a result.

Like this was the dream scenario. I seem to defend GMs more than bash them. But I don't get not pulling the trigger here.
Totally agree - literally could not have fell any better and we still managed to screw it up.