Packers sign Jaylon Smith

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
07 Oct 2021 10:19
Yoop wrote:
07 Oct 2021 08:51
YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Oct 2021 08:41
Just a reminder that Falcons fans were pleased to be rid of De'Vondre Campbell, as well

Changes of scenery and schemery really can matter
yep, tried to convince fans here that that was probably why Hayward and Hyde excelled after leaving here, also we saw that happen for us with Woodson years back, players are just like any of us, who doesn't try harder for a new boss?
Regarding Hyde and Hayward, those same fans also tried to convince you of the responsibility of a coaching staff to scheme a defense to the strengths of the players on the roster, not players you wish you had. If your player's strengths don't compliment the scheme, it doesn't matter how good the scheme is. Additionally, if the staff failed to recognize what strengths those rostered players had, that is also a failure.

Now Woodson, otoh, was a case study in a player's elite talent complimenting the desired scheme and vice versa. The staff continually put him in position to maximize his talent to the benefit the desired scheme.
I seriously doubt you even believe what you just said. :thwap: good players are not scheme dependent, and a coach can not adjust his defense to accommodate 1 or 2 players, and if players can't beat out starters a GM isn't prone to give them starter value contracts, we did nothing special with Woodson :rotf:

Woody had the skills to excel in any scheme, what he lacked was the attitude needed that every player needs to do well, Capers simply designed stuff that any player of Woodsons ability would do well in, this isn't to say Woodson was not a special player, and others may not have rison to his status, my point is Scheme didn't make Woodson great, his attitude playing in that scheme is what elevated Woodson, the player.

I think your giving credit to scheme over simply accepting that players naturally just try harder when going to a new team, it human nature to do that, people do it every time they go to a new job, people want to blame someone when a departed player excels elsewhere, thats also human nature, thing is the answer is in the play we see from players that come here and do better, it's not just coaches and scheme fit, it's that player working harder to do better, almost ever player would tell you that, Woodson did, Amos did, good players are always striving to do better, and a team change is spark to get another level out of them.
Last edited by Yoop on 07 Oct 2021 16:11, edited 2 times in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
07 Oct 2021 14:26
Meanwhile, you got Jeff Saturday on Pat McAfee bashing the culture here during his time in 2012 under Mike McCarthy. Interesting.
Clearly Aaron Rodgers, Mason Crosby, Randall Cobb and [mention]Bogey[/mention] have continued that same culture here 9 years later.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

NCF wrote:
Meanwhile, you got Jeff Saturday on Pat McAfee bashing the culture here during his time in 2012 under Mike McCarthy. Interesting.
Jeff Saturday was completely washed up by the time he came to GB. He could hardly snap the ball anymore.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
07 Oct 2021 14:38
NCF wrote:
Clearly Aaron Rodgers, Mason Crosby, Randall Cobb and @Bogey have continued that same culture here 9 years later.
Thanks Bogey for pushing Stephone Gilmore away. :roll:

I hope that 25 cent per hour raise was worth it.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

lupedafiasco wrote:
06 Oct 2021 19:16
Went to a Cowboys forum just to see the reactions. https://cowboyszone.com/threads/jaylon- ... ed.485299/

Some were sorry to see him go but the vast majority were happy and thought he was a liability holding the defense back.

On one hand we have potentially created the ILB duo we have had since Barnett/Hawk. Maybe Bishop/Hawk depending on how you view both of them. If it doesnt work out at least we took a shot on a potential upgrade.

THIS is going all in. Small gambles with little risk and high reward. No drafting a complete class of backups and resigning the player responsible for our elimination from the playoffs. I like this one from Gute.
I think Campbell has been better than any ILB I can remember us having, even Nick Barnett. I am skeptical that Smith will be as good as AJ Hawk. So it might average out to being the same level as Bishop/Hawk.

I am definitely down to give him a shot though and see how he does. But I wouldn't be surprised if Krys Barnes is better.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
I honestly think Saturday is just pissed he got benched for EDS.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
07 Oct 2021 14:06
Seriously.

What kind of person actually watches or listens to Stephen A, Colin Cowherd, Shannon/Skip these days?

When you have all the options in the world at your disposal of actual content from locals and fans who know your team, brings on guest experts who have time to actually dive into subjects and have relationships and perspective that delivers good content....who actually wastes their time with these national guys?

I literally want to know who listens to these people and why. Is it because they see them as insightful? Are they funny?

I just don't get it.
I watch the Packers-related clips because they are fed to me via the algorithms of various web browsers or social media sites that know I love the Packers. And I usually avoid clicking on it the first 6 times but eventually relent and say "whatever"

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

BF004 wrote:
NCF wrote:
Clearly Aaron Rodgers, Mason Crosby, Randall Cobb and @Bogey have continued that same culture here 9 years later.
Exactly! 🤪
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

go pak go wrote:
07 Oct 2021 15:13
BF004 wrote:
NCF wrote:

It’s not just Gilmore. Corey Lindsey, gone. Aaron, probably gone. Sorry, but a guy’s gotta look out for his own and it’s like the guys always say, football is just a business. Nothing personal. I’m sure Aaron understands and doesn’t hold it against me. (FYI, it was just a 15 cent raise and even at that includes several voidable years, so my cap number is less than $10/hour. 😎
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Bogey wrote:
07 Oct 2021 23:23
go pak go wrote:
BF004 wrote:

It’s not just Gilmore. Corey Lindsey, gone. Aaron, probably gone. Sorry, but a guy’s gotta look out for his own and it’s like the guys always say, football is just a business. Nothing personal. I’m sure Aaron understands and doesn’t hold it against me. (FYI, it was just a 15 cent raise and even at that includes several voidable years, so my cap number is less than $10/hour. 😎
Where will I be able to find you before the Hogs game? Last I recall you were no longer working the escalator.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The amount of money we are paying our ILB group is insane.

D'Vondrea Campbell $1.19 million
Oren Burks $1.15 million
Ty Summers $875k
Jaylon Smith $770k
Krys Barnes $780k (less per game)
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Expecting nothing, hoping for amazing things.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Gotta say, one of these two guys looks like an NFL player and it’s not Ty Summers.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The coaches' interviews sure seemed to indicate that it would take a minute to get him up to speed; he's not playing this week almost certainly, for instance. Given how little MLF likes to say about player status, ruling that out publicly is pretty certain.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Sounds like an impressive man to me. I'm very excited for him.

Yoop wrote:

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
08 Oct 2021 05:06
Bogey wrote:
07 Oct 2021 23:23
go pak go wrote:

Where will I be able to find you before the Hogs game? Last I recall you were no longer working the escalator.
That's right, Ringo. I'm the game-day Fan Assistance supervisor now and my "headquarters" are at the Fan Assistance counter on the lower concourse across from Section 109. (Just inside the concourse from the Atrium doors.) I move around a lot, though, because besides the wheelchair runners at Fan Assistance 109, I also have staff to supervise all around the lower and upper concourses. So, if you stop by FA109 and don't see me there, just ask at the counter for Rick. (They would have no idea who this "Bogey" character is. :lol: ) They can always radio me to see where I am or -- at a minimum -- they can let me know that you stopped by to say hi. I'd like that. Hope to see you then. It's been awhile.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
08 Oct 2021 15:25
Gotta say, one of these two guys looks like an NFL player and it’s not Ty Summers.

...and one of them isn't quite acclimated to Wisconsin weather yet. That also is not Ty Summers. :lol:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
08 Oct 2021 16:33
...and one of them isn't quite acclimated to Wisconsin weather yet. That also is not Ty Summers.
:lol: :mrgreen: :rotf:

He'll get there, though. He said the weather and midwestern feel were factors in what he loves about Green Bay. Played at Notre Dame and grew up in Ft Wayne, IN.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

One of the things Joe Barry is already doing is playing a lot more nickel than dime. And within that nickel package of players- he deploys them in a variety of lineups, including this one below. If you note: ILB Oren Burks is lined up out on the edge and Gary is kicked inside. If you replace Burks with Smith - you now have a guy who is a better rusher coming off the edge in that nickel alignment. This plays to J.Smith's strengths

IT. IS. TIME