Packers sign Jaylon Smith

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I am actually legit excited with how Smith is going to be implemented in this defense. My hope is he can take a bit of pressure off with Z out.

I also don't know if it makes sense to bring in another "true" OLB to replace Rivers when we already have Burks and Jaylon Smith.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Bogey wrote:
08 Oct 2021 16:18
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
08 Oct 2021 05:06
Bogey wrote:
07 Oct 2021 23:23

It’s not just Gilmore. Corey Lindsey, gone. Aaron, probably gone. Sorry, but a guy’s gotta look out for his own and it’s like the guys always say, football is just a business. Nothing personal. I’m sure Aaron understands and doesn’t hold it against me. (FYI, it was just a 15 cent raise and even at that includes several voidable years, so my cap number is less than $10/hour. 😎
Where will I be able to find you before the Hogs game? Last I recall you were no longer working the escalator.
That's right, Ringo. I'm the game-day Fan Assistance supervisor now and my "headquarters" are at the Fan Assistance counter on the lower concourse across from Section 109. (Just inside the concourse from the Atrium doors.) I move around a lot, though, because besides the wheelchair runners at Fan Assistance 109, I also have staff to supervise all around the lower and upper concourses. So, if you stop by FA109 and don't see me there, just ask at the counter for Rick. (They would have no idea who this "Bogey" character is. :lol: ) They can always radio me to see where I am or -- at a minimum -- they can let me know that you stopped by to say hi. I'd like that. Hope to see you then. It's been awhile.
FA109 it is. I'll try to stop by before kickoff.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

That site requires registration to view it’s articles. Care to bring the article over or perhaps just share the pertinent points?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
09 Oct 2021 08:27
That site requires registration to view it’s articles. Care to bring the article over or perhaps just share the pertinent points?
Wow I didn’t know I was registered if it requires that haha. I got to it off of a Twitter link but yes i will copy it over. Not sure if the film clip videos he posted will transfer over tho. The film clips were two plays he said show how his play has been this year...one he was slow to the hole and the back made a slight cut and went by him for a big gain, but the other he was covering a pass catcher and broke to the QB and forced the QB to throw the ball away. Anyways, here it is:

“In one of the team’s biggest in-season acquisitions in 25 years, the Packers signed Jaylon Smith on Thursday. The former Pro Bowl inside linebacker was surprisingly released by the Dallas Cowboys earlier in the week. Smith was with Matt LaFleur at Notre Dame in 2014, and it’s a pretty safe bet the coach put in a good word with general manager Brian Gutekunst.

While fans and the media trashed Smith on his way out of town, his play wasn’t bad this season. I watched all 148 of his snaps and came away fairly impressed, especially with his work in coverage. He might not be the athlete he was prior to his devastating knee injury in 2016 or even a couple of years ago, but he still moves well enough to stay close to backs and tight ends in the middle of the field. Smith, along with De’Vondre Campbell, will give the Packers two inside linebackers who can cover, which is amazing for a team that most seasons this century didn’t have one.

Smith’s work versus the run wasn’t as impressive, and that, along with Dallas’ depth at the position, is probably why he’ll be wearing a G on his helmet for the next few months rather than a star. While he’s effective at going sideline to sideline to make a tackle, he really struggled at the point of attack. He’s often slow to get off blocks, and he rarely attacks the line of scrimmage. That’s why so many of his tackles come five or six yards down the field. Fortunately, Green Bay won’t have to play him on early downs as long as the more physical Krys Barnes is healthy.

The following are two plays from the Cowboys’ Week 3 game against the Philadelphia Eagles that pretty much epitomize Smith’s entire 2021 season to date. In the first video, he takes a questionable angle and is slow to get off the block. The result is a 24-yard run by Miles Sanders. In the second video, Smith stays with tight end Dallas Goedert for a few seconds and then uses his speed – which is still above average – to chase Jalen Hurts out of bounds.

Video Player

00:00
00:08

Video Player

00:00
00:10

Smith figures to settle in as a valuable role player once he learns the playbook. He’ll give Campbell and Barnes an occasional breather and be used in different packages that take advantage of his strengths. So expect to see him used mostly in coverage with the occasional blitz mixed in. And even if that means playing only 20 or so snaps a game, he’d still be one of the best bargains on the team. That’s because the Cowboys are paying Smith over $7 million this season, so he signed with the Packers for $770K. That’s less than Oren Burks and Isaac Yiadom are making.

This is one of the rare transactions that’s impossible to criticize. If it doesn’t work out, Gutekunst can release Smith with no negative impact on the salary cap. But if it does work out – and I think it will – the depth at inside linebacker will be improved, and so will the sub-packages. The latter is even more important now that outside linebacker Za’Darius Smith is on IR following back surgery, and corner Jaire Alexander is dealing with a shoulder injury.

And one final thing – Smith is an energetic player who shows his love for the game on every snap. That alone is worth $770K”
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
I thought the main and pertinent point was: There is no downside to the Jaylon Smith signing
:lol:
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

And one final thing – Smith is an energetic player who shows his love for the game on every snap. That alone is worth $770K”
Is this guy hiring? I will bring energy for $770k.
Yoop wrote:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
09 Oct 2021 08:59
Sorry to undercut ya, but I'll gladly do it for $500K :)
IT. IS. TIME

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

BSA wrote:
09 Oct 2021 12:32
go pak go wrote:
I won't go under the hunger wage of $550k, but will bring love for the game and a playlist of great metal tunes to get the energy in the locker room going. Hire me!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

salmar80 wrote:
09 Oct 2021 12:37
BSA wrote:
09 Oct 2021 12:32
go pak go wrote:
I won't go under the hunger wage of $550k, but will bring love for the game and a playlist of great metal tunes to get the energy in the locker room going. Hire me!
I don't know if Jason Wilde could handle that at practice.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
09 Oct 2021 08:56
APB wrote:
I thought the main and pertinent point was: There is no downside to the Jaylon Smith signing
:lol:
zero downside, possibly huge upside, if Barry intends to use multiple fronts, then someone has to be able to drop and cover, Smith has been the type of lber we've all wanted for years or ever since Mathews departed.

been a lot of negative talk about this kid, no instincts, takes plays off, poor against the run, this seems mostly connected to the arrival of Dan Quinn, two years ago he was a very good ILB, went to the PB, so when someone says he lacks instincts for the position it just doesn't make much sense to me.

we need pass rush help, and Smith should be able to help with that, either from the edge or stunting inside, and he is good in coverage, ( finally 2 ILB's that can cover).

I watched a lot of clips of his college play, minus that horrible injury and Smith was a top 5 pick in that draft class, it's possible that injury will lead to a short NFL career, but I expect he'll give it all he's got, he has a lot of history concerning his love for the game, hope that hasn't changed.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
09 Oct 2021 14:12

I watched a lot of clips of his college play, minus that horrible injury and Smith was a top 5 pick in that draft class, it's possible that injury will lead to a short NFL career, but I expect he'll give it all he's got, he has a lot of history concerning his love for the game, hope that hasn't changed.
I honestly feel like Smith's Notre Dame tape is the best play of ILB I've ever seen.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
09 Oct 2021 14:40
Yoop wrote:
09 Oct 2021 14:12

I honestly feel like Smith's Notre Dame tape is the best play of ILB I've ever seen.
Heck you probably watched him play twice as much as I have, admittedly I don't watch as much College ball as I did years ago, but I watched him enough to know that the way people describe his ability now is like we are talking about two completely different players, Smith was a terror no matter what he was asked to do, cover, stop the run, and rush the passer.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

More I keep hearing about his departure from Dallas. The more I’m excited about this.

Seems like no lack of leadership, athleticism, just not the ideal scheme fit and they had a lot of youth that was really stepping up.

His contract became guaranteed on injury, so just too big of a risk financially to hold onto him if he wasn’t the primary 3 down backer any more.

Not expecting him to be a pro bowler here, but if this is a good fit, pretty much expecting an above average #2 backer for us next to Campbell.

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

Did Smith play at all?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

JKB wrote:
11 Oct 2021 07:34
Did Smith play at all?
He didn't dress.

He was a Packer for like a day before the plane left GB.
Yoop wrote:

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

go pak go wrote:
11 Oct 2021 07:38
JKB wrote:
Did Smith play at all?
He didn't dress.

That’s what I remember, but beer glasses and another comment on social media claimed he worked On ST?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

JKB wrote:
11 Oct 2021 10:31
go pak go wrote:
11 Oct 2021 07:38
JKB wrote:
Did Smith play at all?
He didn't dress.

That’s what I remember, but beer glasses and another comment on social media claimed he worked On ST?
Nope. He was in street clothes with a headset on by Joe Barry. He was very involved when the camera panned on him. He is a fiery dude.
Yoop wrote: