Random stuff

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

I didn't make it to the Gym today.

That's five years in a row now...........

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Raptorman wrote:
16 Sep 2021 15:33
I didn't make it to the Gym today.

That's five years in a row now...........
Nice streak, can't break it now.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Can anyone explain how the USPS works? I've been waiting for something to be delivered. It first shipped on Sept 13th from Kentucky. Then it went to Pittsburgh, then San Francisco, then Los Angeles. Still waiting for it to get to Wisconsin.

Seems less than efficient and not cost effective. Imagine if we all ran companies like this. We'd be broke and out of business in months.
RIP JustJeff

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

I'm reading a book called Eleven Miles to Oshkosh. Anybody heard of it? It was published within the last year, I think. My dad went to high school with the author. It is fiction but has many references to specific locations, street names, etc. in the Neenah/Menasha area, and all of them are accurate. Just a relaxing, wholesome read that I'd recommend, especially for those with connections to the Fox River Valley.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Anne Frank and Martin Luther King were born the same year. Matter of fact, Anne was younger by around 6 months.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Added a couple more albums to my collection. Ride For Revenge (Finnish experimental black metal), and Craft (Swedish black metal).

Deep end of the pool as always.
RIP JustJeff

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

Feeling down, lost a college friend to an overdose. Hadn't seen him in a while, but 29 is too young to pass away. IIRC his brother actually died of an OD right before he went away to college, so especially dismayed for his parents who have lost both children. This was a smart guy too, deans list, masters in environmental engineering, invited to speak for his concentration at his graduation. Can happen to anyone.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Willink wrote:
11 Oct 2021 12:31
Feeling down, lost a college friend to an overdose. Hadn't seen him in a while, but 29 is too young to pass away. IIRC his brother actually died of an OD right before he went away to college, so especially dismayed for his parents who have lost both children. This was a smart guy too, deans list, masters in environmental engineering, invited to speak for his concentration at his graduation. Can happen to anyone.
Sorry to hear that. I have a few people around me that lost family members and friends in the last week (don't know causes). I hate to say it but it does help put things in perspective for me from time to time. Things can always be worse. I need to do a better job of keeping in tough with people. You never know when they'll be gone.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Willink wrote:
11 Oct 2021 12:31
Sorry to hear that.

I know what you mean, too. I was scarce around here a couple weeks ago because I was up in Wisconsin helping my mother. My dad went into hospice care and then passed a few days later. He lived a long life and his passing was not entirely unexpected but it sucks all the same.

Losing young friends, relatives and colleagues unexpectedly burns all the hotter. No getting around that hurt. Hang in there.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Sorry to hear that [mention]APB[/mention] and [mention]Willink[/mention] .
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Looking for some place to go for a few days. Preferably in Wisconsin, but within reasonable driving distance of southern Wisconsin. Looking to stay someplace reasonably cheap, but has good food options nearby. Might consider AirB&B so I can cook myself too. Maybe some good bars, not &%$@ dives that serve only bud light, but a nice whiskey or craft beer bar (if such a thing exists in this damn state).

Someplace decent, stuff to do or see. Even if just nice scenery to walk or drive around in. Maybe in the next month or 2.

And no, going to a Packer game probably isn't an option. Though I'd like it to be. Mostly trying to get away from people and things for a bit. Decompress (aka get &%$@-faced and pass out for a few days).

I've looked all over for the past year or 2 (and have never done it). Plenty of spots that seem nice enough, but I don't know what's around, especially for food. So looking for some suggestions.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Mineral Point/Dodgeville area
Mount Horeb area
Baraboo/Reedsburg/Wisconsin Dells area - pretty reasonable this time of year
Door County - more expensive and farther away
St. Croix County/Hudson - my area
Stevens Point/Wausau/Rapids area
La Crosse area

Those are some of the the better "non-big" city areas that I have personally been to. Tons of craft beer spots in Wisconsin, though.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I have more specific spots in those areas if you like.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Oct 2021 15:11
I'm pretty familiar with a bunch of those areas, but some I haven't been to in quite a while. If you have some more info on St. Croix/Hudson or La Crosse, I'd be interested to check those out.

Mount Horeb and Wausau area are out. Too close to family :lol:

Baraboo etc I've been to recently, but still might be an option. Though again, might be too close to family.
RIP JustJeff

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

If you pick Stevens Point let me know. Spent 8 years there. The Green Circle Trail is nice, although I never took the ride.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
11 Oct 2021 16:30
Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Oct 2021 15:11
I'm pretty familiar with a bunch of those areas, but some I haven't been to in quite a while. If you have some more info on St. Croix/Hudson or La Crosse, I'd be interested to check those out.

Mount Horeb and Wausau area are out. Too close to family :lol:

Baraboo etc I've been to recently, but still might be an option. Though again, might be too close to family.
In my area, St. Croix county, there are a bunch of breweries: Hop & Barrel in Hudson, Pitchfork in Hudson, Oliphant in Somerset, Lift Bridge in New Richmond, Rush River in River Falls, Swinging Bridge in River Falls.

There should be 2 distilleries if you come up in November. 45th Parallel in New Richmond and then Tattersall in River Falls should be open at the end of this month.

You could go into Stillwater, MN which is just across the St. Croix river and there a TON of options, mostly higher end though. Hudson has a great bar/food scene, but again siding more towards higher end.

New Richmond is a bit on the cheaper side and has some really good food options. If I was on a budget and wanted good food and drinks I would stick around there.

So many options in the area for good food. If this area piqued your interest I could expand.

Being on the St. Croix, there are lots of outdoor things to do, otherwise the same options as most medium sized populated areas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

La Crosse has more of a bigger city feel than above. Bodega brew pub has a ton of different beers. I could spend a night there just trying everything I wanted. Turtle Stack and Pearl Street are good. Never been to Skeleton Crew or 608, but heard good things. Downtown is a good time, but definitely has more of the college feel on a Friday/Saturday.

Being on the Mississippi there are lots of outdoor things to do either on the water or the bluffs.

Food options are fine, but feel a little more chain oriented.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Thanks for the info [mention]Pckfn23[/mention]. I'm good with higher end food and drink options, but I'll sleep cheap! I hate paying $300/night for a hotel room.

I'm a bit familiar with Lacrosse, but its been a while. Went a few years ago with the wife and my niece goes to school there. I recall hitting up Turtle Stack and Pearl Street.

I know my wife hung out in Stillwater for a day and really liked the area. I was working in the Twin Cities for a week and she came with. I didn't get to do anything fun. Might be a good area to check out. Will let you know if I need any more info.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Anybody ever see one of these? Any idea how well they work? My boojie brother ([mention]Mazrimiv[/mention]) just got one but I don't trust him making toast let alone a good brat. Anybody have any experience?
Attachments
image000000.jpg
image000000.jpg (980.5 KiB) Viewed 428 times

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I've seen those [mention]APB[/mention] , but don't know anyone with one. I get why it could be useful, but you have to laugh. Grills or pans on a stove aren't hard to use!

But I imagine for the "toast challenged", this may be a good option.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Presented without comment.

Read More. Post Less.