Joe Barry reportedly to be hired as DC

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packers D ranked 5th in yards allowed, 13th in points.

A little above average against the pass, worse against the run.

I see a middle, maybe slightly above average D. Maybe in the 12-16 range. Haven't really played the who's who of offenses so far. As noted as their 20th rank in defensive DVOA.

Love to stay healthy, get Jaire and Z back and maybe get something out of Jaylon, defense could be pretty good.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I genuinely can't believe how well this defense is holding up without Z and Jaire first and foremost, but then also King (not because he's good, but because he forced deeper depth utilization) and now maybe Preston.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Oct 2021 09:00
I genuinely can't believe how well this defense is holding up without Z and Jaire first and foremost, but then also King (not because he's good, but because he forced deeper depth utilization) and now maybe Preston.
And the fact that guys like Gary haven't really stepped up to what we thought he would be. (he hasn't been terrible but just hasn't made those impacts on plays like we wanted him to)

This defense is good because of Clark, Stokes, Campbell, Amos, Preston Smith and Lowry.

That's really weird.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
18 Oct 2021 09:27
YoHoChecko wrote:
And the fact that guys like Gary haven't really stepped up to what we thought he would be. (he hasn't been terrible but just hasn't made those impacts on plays like we wanted him to)

This defense is good because of Clark, Stokes, Campbell, Amos, Preston Smith and Lowry.

That's really weird.
Gary isn't getting home himself. Put his play has helped the other guys get some sack numbers. I think Gary has been very good. Sure, I'd like a few more sacks and a few less times running past the play. But I really can't complain too much. If this is what he is, I'm ok with it.

The amount of people stepping up and playing well, Lowry, Keke, Douglas, Black, Sullivan, Garvin, and more is a wonderful thing to see.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

It's coming!
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
18 Oct 2021 09:32
go pak go wrote:
18 Oct 2021 09:27
YoHoChecko wrote:

That's really weird.
Gary isn't getting home himself. Put his play has helped the other guys get some sack numbers. I think Gary has been very good. Sure, I'd like a few more sacks and a few less times running past the play. But I really can't complain too much. If this is what he is, I'm ok with it.

The amount of people stepping up and playing well, Lowry, Keke, Douglas, Black, Sullivan, Garvin, and more is a wonderful thing to see.
I will agree that Garvin especially benefited from Gary yesterday. He pushed Fields to the left a lot. I am also noticed a more concentrated effort by Chicago to help on Gary. So opponents are respecting him too.

Pass rush is funny. Often sacks come in bunches vs an opponent he has an advantage over. I am anticipating we will see that 7 sacks in 3 weeks stretch at some point this season putting him in the double digit territory.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

paco wrote:
18 Oct 2021 09:36
It's coming!
I think this is just what Gary is. I made the comparison that he is very much like Brandon Graham who was one of the leagues best edge players but has never had double digit sacks.

He influences the play and sets things up for his team mates but doesn’t actually finish the play himself. He was great against the Bears. He was getting pressure and hustling in the run game.

One thing I don’t like is rushing him from the inside. I just thought he was less impactful there.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
It's coming!
Yeah, he is playing really well and its obvious yet some will just dig their trenches deeper.

Reminds of Kenny Clark, saying how amazing he was and people were like 'well how many sacks does he have'? I'm just like watch the damn game, he is a monster against the run and impacting a lot of passes, controlling the game, sacks will likely come.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
18 Oct 2021 10:07
paco wrote:
It's coming!
Yeah, he is playing really well and its obvious yet some will just dig their trenches deeper.

Reminds of Kenny Clark, saying how amazing he was and people were like 'well how many sacks does he have'? I'm just like watch the damn game, he is a monster against the run and impacting a lot of passes, controlling the game, sacks will likely come.
My thoughts exactly. Run stuffer only in some eyes, then went on a tear even those people couldn't ignore. Gary is playing good ball right now. Describing his play as disappointing is weird.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
18 Oct 2021 10:07
paco wrote:
It's coming!

the defenders of Gary sound just like the people that defended Hawk years ago, doesn't matter if someone said a good thing about Hawk, if they ever said anything bad that means ya hate him for life, Gary is finally starting to earn what we paid to get him, averaging 3.9 pressures a game is nothing to rave about, but it's better then a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, my concern has always centered on pass pressures, sacks are a bonus, pressure is often just as successful, Gary still needs to learn how to shed a block better.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

No, we sounds like those who defended Kenny Clark in his 3rd year.

Did you miss the part where his 23 pressures ranks 9th in the ENTIRE league? Why would that not be something to get pumped about?
if they ever said anything bad that means ya hate him for life,
The irony here is palpable.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
18 Oct 2021 10:20
doesn't matter if someone said a good thing about Hawk, if they ever said anything bad that means ya hate him for life
You're absolutely right, pleb -- Gary is YOUR DADDY and anyone who dares criticize him will be bullied by #GaryGang! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

R.J. Hawk could never hold Gary's jockstrap, either, so get that garbage out of here.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Oct 2021 10:24
No, we sounds like those who defended Kenny Clark in his 3rd year.

Did you miss the part where his 23 pressures ranks 9th in the ENTIRE league? Why would that not be something to get pumped about?
if they ever said anything bad that means ya hate him for life,
The irony here is palpable.
big difference between a DT taking 3 years to coach up then a edge rusher.

I'am happy Gary is finally adding some production to this defense, it's about time

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
18 Oct 2021 10:31
Yoop wrote:
18 Oct 2021 10:20
doesn't matter if someone said a good thing about Hawk, if they ever said anything bad that means ya hate him for life
You're absolutely right, pleb -- Gary is YOUR DADDY and anyone who dares criticize him will be bullied by #GaryGang! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
GangGary, :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

If ya have to wait 3 years for a 12 slot player to produce then that is a miss imo, and if he hits now then he'll cost a fortune to resign, thats not a great turn around on the investment, Simmons has been producing since he was a rookie.

I never did hate Gary, I simply didn't think he'd bring the most bang for the buck and he's proved me right
Last edited by Yoop on 18 Oct 2021 10:53, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I'm definitely in the middle on Gary.

I'm okay with his 2021 season, but I will admit he has disappointed me based on my expectations. I watch him literally every play because I am so excited about him. And often times he just can't get enough push fast enough to make a play.

I will say it does seem that teams are starting to chip, etc. on him, but there are many 3rd downs where you just want to see him wreck a play and he doesn't. I thought our interior pressure the last two weeks have been significantly better than our outside pressure the last two games.

Clark and Lowry are absolutely lethal right now.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
18 Oct 2021 10:48

I'm okay with his 2021 season, but I will admit he has disappointed me based on my expectations. I watch him literally every play because I am so excited about him. And often times he just can't get enough push fast enough to make a play.

I will say it does seem that teams are starting to chip, etc. on him, but there are many 3rd downs where you just want to see him wreck a play and he doesn't. I thought our interior pressure the last two weeks have been significantly better than our outside pressure the last two games.

Exactly. Both the Gary love affair and the Gary hate are hyperbole, and most of us have been guilty of falling on one side or another of that coin. I know i have been a hater. I think he is making less impact than his "pressure stats", but I admit he is getting closer.

One thing is that with Z out, he is the guy to chip. He is the guy to focus on. He may just not be that good yet to be a true number one pass rusher. But if a guy like Z was on the other side that needed to be focused on, Gary might quickly look alot better.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
I watch him literally every play because I am so excited about him. And often times he just can't get enough push fast enough to make a play.
I think you might have created an expectation that is unrealistic for any player. You watch him every play and are expecting him to make a play on most of them. That doesn't even happen for the Aaron Donald's of the NFL. For example, in 2018 Donald had 70 pressures, 59 total tackles, 6 fumble plays, and 1 batted pass. That is 136 plays where he directly impacted the outcome of the play. He played 914 snaps on defense that year. See what I mean?
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 18 Oct 2021 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:

really happy to see Lowry doing much better, playing DT often takes a couple years (more) to do well, I think Gary is getting closer to what we hoped he'd be, he just needs to improve on keeping distance between himself and his blocker, to often he gets mauled.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I am genuinely interested what this "Gary love affair" looks like. Does saying 23 pressures through 6 games is something to be pumped about fall under "Gary love affair?"