Rank the Roster 2020: #3

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 30 Apr 2020 22:10

David Bakhtiari
29%
Kenny Clark
5%
Davante Adams
19%
Jaire Alexander
No votes
Aaron Jones
43%
Adrian Amos
No votes
Corey Linsley
No votes
Preston Smith
No votes
Elgton Jenkins
5%
Darnell Savage
No votes

Total votes: 21

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2020: #3

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2020 Edition

1. Aaron Rodgers (48%)[--]
2. Za'Darius Smith (70%)[+5]
3. Current

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2019 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll.

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 10 guys, a new player is added to the list each day).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

This has to be Aaron Jones. Not only was he far and away GB's most potent weapon and led the NFL in TD's (I believe he set a franchise record too), he also showed he has a vast amount of mostly untapped receiving potential. I expect to see his role as a pass catcher greatly expanded in 2020, both in volume and effectiveness.

Next up? I'm thinking King, then it seems like a big dropoff. Aside from King, missing RG, RT, WR2, TE1, ILB1, ILB2, and DT2.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm going Davante.

Another potential All Pro, carrying his position.

I think Jones' value is a bit artificially inflated by how often we used him in the red zone and padded his TDs.

Adams missed 4 games and only had 90 fewer yards than him.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I just couldn't decide. Have wait to hear your arguments.

It's a Great thing this tier is hard, since that means we have several veeeery good players at important positions.

Adams performed despite getting extra attention, master route-runner. Clark had a monster workload, yet still regularly dominated. Bak had a down year, which meant a step below the best LT in the league - level... Jones was exciting and effective, finally a complete RB.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Jones then Clark then Bak. That would be my 1st tier cutoff. I have a hard time picking Adams before 2nd tier because the team won without him.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

In terms of who is most valuable to the team, I think i'd have to say Bak. I think we could scheme our way around losses of Jones, especially now we have Dillon, and last year we got to the NFCCG with Devante missing time.

But if Bak went down, man, i'm not sure we have anyone who could step in there and be even a league average blind side protector. There's a reason LT is the second most important spot on the roster.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Apr 2020 22:45
I'm going Davante.

I think Jones' value is a bit artificially inflated by how often we used him in the red zone and padded his TDs.

Agree. Adams for me. Jones next.

Read More. Post Less.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Apr 2020 22:45
I'm going Davante.

?

Davante had 997 yd and 5 TD, 2 fumbles, on 83 touches
Jones had 1558 yd and 19 TD, 3 fumbles, on 285 touches

You seem to have forgotten that Jones also had almost 500 receiving yds. I bet its going to be more like 700-800 yds this year.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Bak for me. He is a stud at his position. AJones is fine and all, but the Sauce will take a big chunk this year and he will be a time share RB. I would go Davante over him as well.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I base this off last seasons play, it's impossible to predict the future of any draft pick, and Jones is easily my choice, as almost everyone here has agreed, he was the face of the offense, to me it's all about production, and Jones was a huge producer.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

The problem with judging it all on 'production' is it rather ignores those humble OL that help the QB, RB and WR get that 'production'.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Adams was out 4 games last year, we won all 4.

Bakhtiari had a down year last year, like really down compared to his usual. If he had had his normal great year I would put him here over Jones.

Gotta go:
Jones
Bakhtiari
Adams
Clark

This my top tier is complete.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 30 Apr 2020 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Went bak. I know he had a down year but he is really important to this team. If he went down its bad news. I get the jones vote but it would hurt way more if we lost bak over jones.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Led our team in penalties. Had 5 pre-snap penalties. 6 holding penalties which was tied for 4th most in the league.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

British wrote:
30 Apr 2020 09:22
The problem with judging it all on 'production' is it rather ignores those humble OL that help the QB, RB and WR get that 'production'.
The offense was waaaaay more productive with Jones in the lineup than Willams. But I don't have a good way to quantify that, PFR's play index tools don't have anything for that.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Waldo wrote:
30 Apr 2020 09:38
British wrote:
The offense was waaaaay more productive with Jones in the lineup than Willams. But I don't have a good way to quantify that, PFR's play index tools don't have anything for that.
There was a piece about this. I am trying to find it. It was incredible how many more yards the offense gained per play compared to when Williams was in.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
30 Apr 2020 09:32
Went bak. I know he had a down year but he is really important to this team. If he went down its bad news. I get the jones vote but it would hurt way more if we lost bak over jones.
Did you see our offense with Williams as the lead back? Yikes. 3 plays and a punt, over and over.

Y'all are seriously downplaying how much Jones made GB's offense go. This isn't like 2011 where you could drop in any back, not bothering to run or needing any production from the back.

Jones is a special back. In 2019 there was a huge hit when he wasn't on the field.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

British wrote:
I hear ya, but take away the offensive impact players and it doesn't matter how good a blocker ya are, does it? it's why I lean heavy towards the players that produce points, and Rodgers, Jones, and Adams will get my vote over Bahk, I wouldn't have voted for Z except he was so good at stopping opposing production I couldn't not vote for him, but I did have to way it out as I explained yesterday, as long as the O impact player is even or better they will get my vote every time.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Agree Waldo Jones was special. But in 2020 if Jones goes down I back LeFleur to use some combo of Dillion, Jamaal, Dexter, Ervin and Josiah (combined with Rodgers) to score some points.

If Bak goes down I don't see how we replace him, or how Rodgers has time to throw (he needs it) and so our season is likely done.
Last edited by British on 30 Apr 2020 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

I realize we just drafted Dillon, but he's a rookie. MLF is likely going to ride his stallion hard, especially if this is likely to be his last year on the team.

Jones is still an ascending player. And this is his contract year. If they don't plan to resign him, GB is much, much better off getting Jones as big a contract as possible for a juicy 3rd round comp pick.

Just saying, last year wasn't the ceiling. Jones could very well join the 2K yard club this year. There are a whole lot of passing yards in undertapped potential there.